Nolan Puts Official Title on Third Batman Flick

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
Zeromaeus said:
M-JN said:
thenumberthirteen said:
*Crosses fingers* Come on Condiment King!
Yyeeeessss. Seriously if I was a billionaire dark-gritty-angst director, that is exactly the kind of shit I would pull in the last film of the series, and fly off cackling into the night.

Zeromaeus said:
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
M-JN said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
In that case, I'm guessing Red Hood and Black Mask.
Nah, they wouldn't do Red Hood so soon after the animated flick.

I think the only real possibility is a Catwoman tale. Scarecrow and Ra'as already had their moments, most of the others are wholly too ridiculous, and it'd make for some much-needed romantic levity after that whole bint Rachel thing. Maybe Hatter, but I'd be surprised.

Halle Berry come back and bring your cleavage.
Don't be so sure about Red Hood. Him being in the animated film just means more people will be familiar with him which is good for marketing. Plus it would rule.
Don't forget Red Hood was Batman's old Robin. The one who died. Guess he got better... Anyway, Robin hasn't appeared in the Nolan-verse yet, has he?
Hasn't yet and never will according to Word of God. Probably for the best.

Although now that I'm thinking it, I was struck in TDK with how insidiously they downplayed Barbara Gordon's existence. Like, she was there, but she wasn't really there and the breezeover seemed rather intentional, so maybe she'll play a role? Likely a small one, but it could be neat to see hints at the "Bat-family" that got so foofy in the animated.

Although this is Gritty Reboot Land, and so Batman must never ever be happy.
Well, my personal hope for this would be a storyline based around Bane and Black Mask. Bane breaks the bat. The whole circus thing plays out with a young member of the Greyson troupe being adopted by a certain m/b(?)illionaire shortly after the murder of said child's parents.

It could segue really easily into a second series of movies. Concluding the trilogy about the origin of The Batman and going into something else. Something Robin related. I actually see Robin as an important part of the whole Batman ... thing. The next series could be set as a "... years later" thing to set their ages up where they're supposed to be.

More likely, however, Nolan will just move on to the next thing. Who else could he do? Punisher maybe? I don't know. Probably something non-comic-book related.
He's doing Superman, probably another trilogy, and I thiiiiink they're pushing on a JLA movie after that.

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
They should feature one of the canon's lesser known villains. Just to make things interesting. I'm certainly no Batman expert, but I do know that his Rogue's Gallery is one of the best...

Tzatziki3301

Aug 11, 2009
Shame he's said no Penguin. Burton's idea, of Penguin taking over the city through politics, would work fantastically in the Nolan-verse, but thankfully, it is an idea that can transcend onto a lot of other villains (and a lot of villain's origins...) and my money is on something like that as a plot, it just seems to follow on naturally from the last two.

In Begins, city was corrupt, cops on the take, Mob running pretty much everything, Batman stood up to them, allies with Gordon and the DAs office starts to take notice.

Dark Knight, Harvey Dent tries to clean up the city, Mob takes two massive blows thanks to the Joker and Batman, vastly reducing their power and influence, Gordon made commissioner after old one murdered, but the level of corruption within police comes to light, film ends with Gordon and Batman struggling to save the name of Harvey Dent to give the city hope, covering up what actually happened to him in order to save face (pun intended).

So, Gotham is left with its vigilante branded the murderer of Dent, both its law office infrastructure and its organised crime infrastructure in tatters. Perfect fodder for a few new players to come in and build up their own empire (Croc from 'The Joker' perfect example, Hush, Zasz, Bane (can imagine being re-imagined as a burly guy on a steroid addiction rather than 'green goo o' doom'), Black Mask, pretty much everyone mentioned already.

As for Catwoman and Harley, I'd love to see both. Poison Ivy I love, mainly from the Animated Series, but from the movies less so, and I don't think she should be done as plant-like as she was in Arkham Asylum (though she was cool) but would be happy to see her done intelligently.
Catwoman I'd like to see given to someone Bale's age, and not a big name. Casting my mind over the casts of various Sci-fi programmes like Farscape, SG1 and Star Trek, can think of a few likely candidates that would fit the strong female character archetype without having to resort to cheeseball sexuality (and I'd like to see a Catwoman who was Master Thief first, sex-object second please, thank you very much Mister Nolan). If we get Catwoman, I'd like there to be the ambiguity as to her allegiance and alignment, and I'd also like to see her as a foil for a female bad guy such as Quinn. No need for cheesy back-story (Nolan has avoided them all adroitly so far, Joker being the best example) just have Catwoman show up doing what she should do, taking shiny things from difficult places without asking, the whole city in disarray backdrop perfect for some opportune burglary, especially with the Police force likely distracted searching for Batman.

Shame no Riddler... I was hoping for a revelation there.

Ah well, we'll have to wait and see.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I have been saying this for some time, but I think that the antgonists will be Black Mask and Catwoman.

Tzatziki3301

Aug 11, 2009
M-JN said:
He's doing Superman, probably another trilogy, and I thiiiiink they're pushing on a JLA movie after that.
Know its years ahead of where we are currently with the movies, but i'd love to see Nolan tackle Frank Miller's 'Dark Knight Returns' comic series.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Knoxy said:
samsonguy920 said:
As for Catwoman it would be cool if we were to get introduced to Selina Kyle as a love interest, and at the end find out she has been running a double life to bring up in the next movie.
Except this is Nolan's last Batman movie for the foreseeable future so I can't imagine he'll leave plot threads just dangling there at the end of the film, or do you suppose he'll leave a legacy for whatever director Legendary/WB drafts in to milk the franchise?
I'm willing to bet good legos that he leaves something open at the end.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
M-JN said:
Zeromaeus said:
M-JN said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Yyeeeessss. Seriously if I was a billionaire dark-gritty-angst director, that is exactly the kind of shit I would pull in the last film of the series, and fly off cackling into the night.

Zeromaeus said:
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
M-JN said:

I think the only real possibility is a Catwoman tale. Scarecrow and Ra'as already had their moments, most of the others are wholly too ridiculous, and it'd make for some much-needed romantic levity after that whole bint Rachel thing. Maybe Hatter, but I'd be surprised.

Don't be so sure about Red Hood. Him being in the animated film just means more people will be familiar with him which is good for marketing. Plus it would rule.
Don't forget Red Hood was Batman's old Robin. The one who died. Guess he got better... Anyway, Robin hasn't appeared in the Nolan-verse yet, has he?

Although now that I'm thinking it, I was struck in TDK with how insidiously they downplayed Barbara Gordon's existence. Like, she was there, but she wasn't really there and the breezeover seemed rather intentional, so maybe she'll play a role? Likely a small one, but it could be neat to see hints at the "Bat-family" that got so foofy in the animated.

Well, my personal hope for this would be a storyline based around Bane and Black Mask. Bane breaks the bat. The whole circus thing plays out with a young member of the Greyson troupe being adopted by a certain m/b(?)illionaire shortly after the murder of said child's parents.

It could segue really easily into a second series of movies. Concluding the trilogy about the origin of The Batman and going into something else. Something Robin related. I actually see Robin as an important part of the whole Batman ... thing. The next series could be set as a "... years later" thing to set their ages up where they're supposed to be.

More likely, however, Nolan will just move on to the next thing. Who else could he do? Punisher maybe? I don't know. Probably something non-comic-book related.
...what?
That wouldn't work. They haven't set up any of the necessary DC-verse continuity for a JLA movie, which I would love the hell out of (I'm uber-psyched for Avengers as is). They need to set up the original members like The Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman first (I didn't include Green Lantern because he's getting a movie). All of that within the same continuity (like the Marvel movies). Hell, the Nolan-verse was based on a completely no magic/no sci-fi basis. What the hell would Wonder Woman fight in that universe? No, the DC movies need inter-continuity before JLA is even viable. Trust me, I want JLA, I just don't see it happening. Also, Nolan is only writing for Superman. A different director was slated for that movie.

I really want a Flash movie now...

Jzolr0708

Apr 6, 2009
Halceon said:
Twoface, clearly. The setup for his appearance was so blatantly obvious in Dark Knight, that i'm surprised there is such speculation at all. It also fits with the claim, that some characters will return.
Except that Two Face is dead.
As in, pushed off a roof, no reason to be alive anymore, no chance of revival dead.

His job was to show that even the might can fall.

Aft3rShock

May 2, 2008
Haha I'd be down to see Gentleman Ghost as the villain. It'd be a fresh villain as far as the movies go (if I'm remembering correctly)

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Aft3rShock said:
Haha I'd be down to see Gentleman Ghost as the villain. It'd be a fresh villain as far as the movies go (if I'm remembering correctly)
...but the Gentleman Ghost is a ghost. Nolan has removed all magic/sci-fi from his movies. It just wouldn't work, as awesome (and out of place) that would be. Hell, I'd like to see Bat-Mite at some point, even though I know it would never EVER happen. (On a side note, I'd really like to see Supes go against Mr. Myxpyxlstyx. ... I hope I spelled that close to correctly.)

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The penguin doesn't get enough credit for being a really, really, troubling victim when he goes batshit.

The dude is not shy about murdering people with a gunbrella.

Or knifing people with a knifebrella.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
Zeromaeus said:
M-JN said:
Zeromaeus said:
M-JN said:
thenumberthirteen said:

Zeromaeus said:
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
M-JN said:

...what?
That wouldn't work. They haven't set up any of the necessary DC-verse continuity for a JLA movie, which I would love the hell out of (I'm uber-psyched for Avengers as is). They need to set up the original members like The Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman first (I didn't include Green Lantern because he's getting a movie). All of that within the same continuity (like the Marvel movies). Hell, the Nolan-verse was based on a completely no magic/no sci-fi basis. What the hell would Wonder Woman fight in that universe? No, the DC movies need inter-continuity before JLA is even viable. Trust me, I want JLA, I just don't see it happening. Also, Nolan is only writing for Superman. A different director was slated for that movie.

Oh yeah? Right, yes, that's what I meant. *cough*

The way I see it, any further DC endeavors, period, will have to quietly act like NolanBatman doesn't exist. It's completely removed from the entire world. And that's IF they go for any inter-title continuity, which, while it would be the most badass thing ever, isn't likely due to all the usual Hollywood reasons.

What I want more than anything is for every one of the main players to get at least one really good film - set in the same universe - all tied together like sexy DNA, so that they could cap it off with a JLA film every couple of years. That kind of thing could go on pretty much forever, and I don't think it'd stop raking in the money. But the problem with THAT is that Batman would have to be excluded because really who's gonna shell out funding for more Goddamn Batman anytime soon.

I don't even get why the titles have to be so sectioned. I bet the upcoming Superman and Lantern, too, will be set in their own little worlds. Seems dumb to me, not to leave open the possibility of tying in other heroes here and there. Even in just little ways, casually mentioning that news out of Gotham's been less awful lately (cuz the dark knight rises lol) or whatever.

Jesus I talk a lot.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I thought that the actor played dent/two face, said flat out that dent was alive or strongly hinted that he was, two face being alive in the batman world served to keep one of batmans greatest failures right in his face, batman always wanted to save dent but two face just went on killing. ANd considering tdk was as much about dent as it was the joker and setting up two face it would just be plain damn odd to murder two face 15 minutes after he shows up.

penguin is a mob boss, granted a mob boss on crack, but we already did the mob boss thing in br i would find rather odd to pick another mob centered movie for the 3rd one.

having two face for the main villain would be another device to redeem batman's name, all the murders two face did they pinned on batman to save dents name. if dent were walking talking and killing people it is quite possible that he himself would clear batman's name and batman once again has to stop his friend from his insanity.

so my call is we do see two face and maybe one other villan, maybe a penguin, catwoman etc.

there will be no bat girl since barbara gordan was all of like 8 years old in tdk, not unless a bunch of years have passed between tdk and tdkr.

Trekna

Apr 1, 2009
My hope is to see Bane done correctly, you know, the man who broke the Bat ...

We still have the Scarecrow loose in the streets, I'd expect to see him again even if it is just a minor cameo. The Penguin would have been good with the current settings Gotham since he could easily be re-imaged as a Mob Boss who just happened to like good suits, but, that's not going to happen.

As much as I don't really care to see Catwoman, it seems to be one of the few obvious choices.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
M-JN said:
Zeromaeus said:
M-JN said:
Zeromaeus said:
M-JN said:
thenumberthirteen said:

Zeromaeus said:
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
M-JN said:

...what?

Oh yeah? Right, yes, that's what I meant. *cough*

The way I see it, any further DC endeavors, period, will have to quietly act like NolanBatman doesn't exist. It's completely removed from the entire world. And that's IF they go for any inter-title continuity, which, while it would be the most badass thing ever, isn't likely due to all the usual Hollywood reasons.

What I want more than anything is for every one of the main players to get at least one really good film - set in the same universe - all tied together like sexy DNA, so that they could cap it off with a JLA film every couple of years. That kind of thing could go on pretty much forever, and I don't think it'd stop raking in the money. But the problem with THAT is that Batman would have to be excluded because really who's gonna shell out funding for more Goddamn Batman anytime soon.

I don't even get why the titles have to be so sectioned. I bet the upcoming Superman and Lantern, too, will be set in their own little worlds. Seems dumb to me, not to leave open the possibility of tying in other heroes here and there. Even in just little ways, casually mentioning that news out of Gotham's been less awful lately (cuz the dark knight rises lol) or whatever.

Jesus I talk a lot.
You talk just enough/not enough as far as I'm concerned.
What DC needs to do is establish their own studio like Marvel did. That's why Marvel has had such ease with their inter-continuity. If they can get all of their titles under one studio, then making a JLA movie (or even Batman/Superman) would only take as long as establishing the founding members. Unfortunately, the movies, as they are, are isolated from one another. You're not going to see Supes fly by in the Batman movies, and Green Lantern probably won't be seen chewing the fat with Clark Kent as an interview for the Daily Planet (That is the newspaper, right? I'm mostly a Marvel guy.). When the movies are isolated into their own separate worlds it becomes increasingly difficult to bring them together. It CAN be done however with a good enough excuse and enough work. It could be done as a joint project between titles. The Starheart passes by Earth, causing people to acquire magic and turn into meta-humans. Superman punches Bizarro so hard that reality unfolds and pulls in the other realities. Something sufficiently comic-book-y like that. The problem is, every studio working on these movies has to recognize the change and respect it, keeping the interconnected nature of the new DC-verse. As good as the Nolan Batman has been, it only limits itself in how far it can go. If you limit yourself like that, you'll never get the strength to throw impossibility to the curb.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Halceon said:
Twoface, clearly. The setup for his appearance was so blatantly obvious in Dark Knight, that i'm surprised there is such speculation at all. It also fits with the claim, that some characters will return.
yeeeaaaaaahh...umm...he's dead. He died at the end of Dark Knight. I thought that was pretty clear. Nigh inescapably obvious. And as far as I know, the Joker is the only one who can keep coming back from the dead

majes6661

Jun 30, 2010
I honestly think Two-Face is coming back. One, he fell the same distance as Batman and Batman got right back up. Two-Face could have simply been knocked out. I say they locked him away in Arkham, buried Dent in a closed casket, and covered it all up. If something went down at the Asylum and Two-Faced managed to get free, it would be the perfect motivation to get revenge. And because of the coin being his conscience, it wouldn't be hard to think that a killing spree would be far off. To bring Batman out of hiding perhaps. And then bring in Catwoman as a love interest for Bruce, even as he is tracking her criminal affairs, unaware of who she really is.