Non-Americans: How do you view us?

connormcan

Apr 4, 2011
TRR said:
We just have so many things to point out and say "Wow you people are messed up". The sad part is these things probably don't provide a very accurate depiction of the USA but it's what you're known for.

Things such as...
Toddlers and Tiaras (or any reality TV show for that matter
Fox News
Republicans
Crazier than normal evangelical christians
NRA
Anti-abortion laws
The War on drugs (or anything else starting with "The War on....)
Obesity rate
etc.

My opinion of your country would improve if you just kept the more insane people from appearing on TV. As it is now, that's basically all I see.
And you think this list compares at all to the ****** that comes outta your country? TAKE BACK BIEBER!!! WE DON'T WANT HIM EITHER!!! And who are you to run your mouth about politics? You guys were under the crown until 82!!! And even though we have a bunch of crackheads, our population is big enough that there's a smaller percentage of fags than many countries. And we all know the real reason behind your post: you're bitter that all the comedians here make songs insulting Canada (most notably by Weird Al and Rucka Rucka Ali), but noone up there can work up the nerve to rant about America and put it on an album.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Alex Mac said:
chstens said:
Do they keep bringing it up? Do they constantly brag about their country? And as an added style bonus, do they use the phrase "best country in the world" ?
A little late on the reply here but as a matter of fact quite of few of them actually did, yes. One in particular took great pride in disparaging any other country besides his own.

The point is that bravado, regardless of whatever completely insular belief or worldview you have about it, is not exclusive to any one nation or people. I can't judge based on your personal experiences, mind you. But my own have shown this to be true.

Any mindset which doesn't look at individuals as individuals is a mindset which should be reexamined, regardless of who holds it. Look at some of the comments in this thread that are going back and forth. Many of them say "You did X.." or "You did Y..."; some even say "We did.."

There's something off in that, for numerous reasons. And there's something of a large irony and hypocrisy at play in decrying arrogance while being equally arrogant as well. But somehow, this is mostly lost in the exchange. And everyone's doing it right now. Which is almost funny in a twisted sort of way.

Think about it: by virtue of where certain individuals live, plenty of people in this thread are willing to assume all sort of "facts" about them. Oh, you're American? Well, you must be fat and stupid. Oh? You're British? Well, you must be boorish and ugly. Oh, you're such and such...?

You get the point. It is disheartening, really, to see such a large, globally diverse display of insipid thinking.
I see your point, but my original opinion is still valid. There are alot of Americans who love to chant "best country in the world", and it is still annoying/wrong even if other people do it too. I like how no-one've disagreed with me on the "America is run by complete morons" bit, though.

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
I think my biggest issue with Americans is that they refuse to take responsibility for anything! Someone gets shot - Games did it, Your childs is a fatass - McDonalds did it, Games promoting enviromental awareness - Pushing the Liberal agenda(Thanks Fox news)!

connormcan

Apr 4, 2011
I really don't get why the fuck this thread was startted. Like he wasn't expecting this. A bunch of fags from countries in worse positions than we are going on about how stupid we are so theycan feel better about themselves. I know we're in a bad position right now, but you can't ignore that we have at several points been a very wealthy and influential nation. You cannot blame all Americans for our current leaders completely disregarding all the principles that this nation was founded on. Small government. Yeah, right. In NY there is now a beareu to help you get through all the beareus that you need to go through to start a business. I will probly be muted for this comment.

jeremysaint

Jul 7, 2011
redeemer09 said:
jeremysaint said:
i am canadian and currently i am sad for the usa. you guys are doomed.

you have a fairly ignorant, sheep like population that will always hold you back. about half of americans dont accept evolution. the greatest threat to your national security is the republican party and your broken congressional and especially senatorial system. you imprison more people (in terms of percent of population and absolute figures) that anyone else in the world and do so for borderline insane reasons (there are people in us prisons serving life sentences because they shoplifted some dvds and were convicted under your three strikes law). i heard that more than half of your population believes that jesus christ will actually return to earth in thier lifetime and raise them all to heaven in a rapture.

seriously, on my better days i feel sorry for you. on the rest of them i debate whether it would be more humane for the rest of the world to quietly press a pillow over your face while you are sleeping one night.
canadians are no different http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Canada back off the religous folk scott pilgrim
the subject of the topic was america, not canada. saying that canada is no better or worse is a deflection from the issue and not relevant. that said, i feel obligated to correct the misrepresentation of religion in canada.

we are a secular state.

ignoring the fact that i live in canada and am something of an expert on the subject for a moment, i feel obligated to point out that the wikipedia article you linked to actually says, and i quote,

"With Christianity having once been central and integral to Canadian culture and daily life, it has been recently suggested that Canada has come to enter a post-Christian or secular state, where practice of the religion has "moved to the margins of public life",[5][6] and irreligion is on the rise."

the rest of the article goes on to state that canada is increasingly secular, and for that matter, increasingly aetheist.

for a more concrete example, the conservative party (canada's right wing party) lost the ontario provincial ellection in 2007 due specifically to thier suggestion that we fund religious schools. the very idea that public dollars would some how be used to fund religion so outraged and horrified canadians that overnight they went from a very large lead in the polls to a crushing defeat on that issue alone. literally overnight, i was there. if it is helpful, ontario is about 1/3 of canada's population and by far it's most important province (regardless of what quebec thinks). and for what it is worth, in 2007 maybe we overreacted. the issue was more complex, but the image of canada somehow giving money to religious groups was too frightening and disgusting for the ellectorate to stomach.

10 seconds of research on google gave these two links, which you may also find helpful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_general_election,_2007#Issues
http://www.suffolkhands.org.uk/node/523

but finally, as i said at the start, the topic of this discussion was america, not canada or anywhere else.

ps. i know what scott pilgrim is, but i dont understand the relevance. maybe it is just me being an old man?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Michael Howard said:
I'm from the U.S and I have come up with a metaphor. Say that the world is one big family. They all share a house and or live next to each other as neighbors. There are parents and children and grandparents based on the age of their country. America is the mutant baby country that was born with two hearts. He is able to do and does do much of the crazy "chores" that the other family members refuse to do whether it be good, or just plain stupid. Because of the two hearts, he has aged rapidly and even though he is only a teen or young adult, he already looks like a grampa. And he is mentally unstable and continuing to De-stabilize over time.
Actually for the thread starter as well one good example for the OP topic is the webcomic Scandinavia and the World (http://satwcomic.com/). It's pretty much like the above except focusing mostly on the Viking countries, though they often bring others in. There portrayal of America is on the male/conservative side a large overbearing & hyperactive teenager (as the US is a young country), with his sister representing the Liberal side and being a Hollywood type big fake breasted blonde.

Anyways, there are a number of things good and bad I could point out, but one thing that I'm becoming more aware of and continues to bug me in recent years is America's instance that you're always "the good guys!" You're media plays a big part in this, and there was a time in WWII when you guys came in to help save the day against the Nazi's, and during the Cold War the USSR was kind of scary and won out in the end.

But in the aftermath of it all when you look back on it objectively without the fear of global thermonuclear war it really wasn't so black and white. America committed or instigated numerous atrocities of it's own, to the point that you have to wonder if both sides were equally dirty. Especially in the post-cold war, the 'good guy/bad guy' persona is still maintained yet in reality it's never quite so black and white. Why can't you view conflict how it really is, us vs them, rather than glorifying yourselves as the good guys?

Note that this isn't directed at any specific poster as there will always be people who think differently, but as a whole this attitude has always been there in America. And it's starting to get kind of silly when you're the worlds lone super power bringing war to back water 3rd world nations.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Stereotypically it seems that the majority of Middle America is where a lot of the image of stupid Americans comes from while on the fringes such as New York they are all smarter and more progressive. I don't mean to offend anyone but this seems like a widely held view.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
fenrizz said:
jeremysaint said:

you have a fairly ignorant, sheep like population that will always hold you back. about half of americans dont accept evolution. the greatest threat to your national security is the republican party and your broken congressional and especially senatorial system. you imprison more people (in terms of percent of population and absolute figures) that anyone else in the world and do so for borderline insane reasons (there are people in us prisons serving life sentences because they shoplifted some dvds and were convicted under your three strikes law). i heard that more than half of your population believes that jesus christ will actually return to earth in thier lifetime and raise them all to heaven in a rapture.

seriously, on my better days i feel sorry for you. on the rest of them i debate whether it would be more humane for the rest of the world to quietly press a pillow over your face while you are sleeping one night.
I got this impression of the Americans too.

It's sad really, you used to have such great potential.
But it's not too late though.

Stop having all these costly wars, stop fucking around in other countries affairs and for the love of science stop teaching unscientific religions propaganda in schools!
It's against the law here in American for any religious dogma to be taught in public schools.

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
I always say I am American at heart (I am from Australia btw). I lived in USA for 3 months and noticed less asshats there and the nicest people. I hope to live there one day. That should give you a fair idea of what I think about America.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Valkyr71 said:
all the history books will mention that the US started shipping War material in late october early November 1939. Thanks again for playing.
Since when is war profiting same as military involvement?

Answers to that what you call history.
1. The USA started doing something once they were attacked directly. They did not go to war because they are good but because they had to fucking defend them self.
2. Japan was ready to capitulate withing some reasonable conditions. The USA said "all your base are belong to us or die bastard!!!!!" and nuked 2 fucking HUGE cities which were not important in any military aspect. You trow 2 fucking nukes on almost nothing but civilians. And the casualties are MUCH MORE than just those who were killed in the initial blase. All those died after the explosion thanks to radiation, all caused by your ignorance.
3. Financing terrorists, late having problems with them, that's not called helping the rest of the world. That's called karma. You fuck someone else up, be prepared to be fucked even harder. Also, killing innocent children still isn't helping, unless you're an average US citizen.

Fun fact. Scientists who developed nuclear technology were working for Hitler at first. Once they discovered the devastating power of it, they didn't gave the results to Hitler because they knew it wouldn't end good. Well, to bad they were naive enough to think that the USA is any better than the Third Reich.

P.S.
I do NOT hate Americans. I hate the average Joe and the image that the USA is making out of them. I feel sorry for those of you who are normal, but have to live in such a fucked up place.

Cyrax987 said:
I find it funny that in every thread that is created on this forum about America it always ends up "You guys think you're better then everyone else"

Name when we actually all do that, seriously the only people that say that would be some crazy politician(Which every country has so don't even lie about that) and trolls on the internet. Stop putting every American in the same category as some gut toting cowboy that hates every other country because it comes off almost as ignorant as a racist redneck.
Your politicians are elected by the votes of the majority. They REPRESENT your country. If you don't want that the rest of the world thinks you have the (obvious) superiority complex, than stop voting for idiots who will represent you as such. Stop changing history, stop forcing your beliefs on others.
If your country think that they are the global police, than you obviously think you're better than the rest.
Because elections are entirely truthful of the majority of the country. Come on man, America has one of the most corrupted governments in the world(which is also a BIG talking point that other countries like to talk about us with) and you're going to tell me that its just us Americans voting them all in just like that?

A lot of people out here in the United States aren't even registered to vote because of how corrupt and looney our government is. Yes I know that is making the problem worse and letting these clowns get elected(I am a registered voter by the way and do not vote them in.)

But you can't sit there and say that its only the United States that has a corrupt government and all this scandalous stuff going on. It has happened throughout history with every major country that was given the power to do so. By the way those last two sentences are NOT implying that we are the best country at the moment but that we have been given a lot of freedom to abuse the world for our gain.

I don't mind if you dislike our country's beliefs but please stop including all of us other normal Americans that just live here and work every day and do everything you probably do in your country. Every country has done something to force on other countries since the dawn of history too so saying only the United States does this is pretty ignorant sounding. What if we bring up the imperialism that the British set forth throughout the world. I'm pretty sure a lot of the countries in Africa didn't like the British at all. We have a lot of douchebags here and a lot of great people also and I'm sure its like that in your country and all I'm pretty much asking for is to stop jumping the gun on us and labeling all of us idiots.

The stuff that angers me the most is the people without a real concrete reason to hate us and just seem to hate us because its cool and popular. I like my country because yeah it has a lot of bad things wrong with it but also a lot of great things and my life is going good for me. I like other countries and would love to visit others. I'm rambling now so I'll leave at please stop mashing us all into one big category.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
jeremysaint said:

Basically this and a whole lot more, oh and also because of people like this:

WOW......Im amazed at the short memory of peoples in other countries. How much american blood has been spilled since the 1940's for the liberation of nations in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the middle east. We were asked because we were the only ones who could help or had the power to. When the world asks you ont ***** to be the cops, or cries upon you to say you have the power therefore you have the responsibility to help dwhen we do take action because were not helping your favorite cause. Step up and take charge yourself or sit down and shut up.
ROFL

I don't 'hate' America, but I view it as a very fucked up country.

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
In my opinion, the vast majority of Americans are perfectly respectable people who hold moderate views on religion, politics, race, gender equality and a whole host of other things generally associated with western prejudice, they are a thoroughly normal and unremarkable population with the only exceptions being a slightly exaggerated average body weight, due to the relative affluence of society, and a quite irritating inability to use the English language properly, due to their ancestors being gutter-mouthed English sailors.

However, there are those in America who let the side down, just as there are in every country. Therefore the stereotype commonly slapped on the face of Americans overseas is of ignorant, self-congratulating, overweight, lazy, loud-mouthed, over-patriotic, ill-educated, racist, sexist, far-right, warmongering, gun-toting, mega-religious, sociopathic nut-jobs with too much money and an annoying propensity to tell everyone else that they should be the same.

It's not fair, but that's how it is, and stereotypes are not born without progeny.

The main problem is poor education, you are taught from an early age of all the times your country has saved the world throughout history, because you have such overwhelming military power that you can't help but win every war you drop into and thus get the job of writing the history books, that coupled with the prominence of your films and music culture makes you seem like the sort of country that no-one should like.

My advice is that you should, as a country, wake the fuck up, realise you are not the centre of the universe, stop interfering in other people's wars, get a clue about cultures other than your own, stop eating as much, drop the 9.11 sob-story and let the normal, moderate, everyday American run the country instead of the wankers you currently elect.

And start spelling things right.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
fenrizz said:
jeremysaint said:

I got this impression of the Americans too.

It's sad really, you used to have such great potential.
But it's not too late though.

Stop having all these costly wars, stop fucking around in other countries affairs and for the love of science stop teaching unscientific religions propaganda in schools!
As an American I can agree with all of those statements except the religious one. I mean, sure, we have some bat-shit [b/]insane[/b] vocal fanatics over here, but they don't stand for us all. Most Christians I know are pretty mellow about all that. Really though, how do your disagreements with others over metaphysical quandries add anything to this thread?

We teach religious ideas at school out of "fairness" because evolution hasn't been completely proven (scientists haven't been able to create life out of nothing either, so the "creation myth" is still in). Once that "propaganda" has been proven 100% wrong I can guarantee it'll be thrown out (Not like it matters. My teacher spent all of 1 minute going over it compared to the 2 weeks we took to talk about evolution.)

OT: I think it's because the people that other nations see more often have more national pride than is normal or are massive dicks trying to assert dominance, which in my social experiences, is the bloody norm. Most people don't like others saying that sort of stuff, so they grow to hate them. Thus, the "problem" of America vs. the World. In the long run, it doesn't matter. Nations rise and fall, regimes change, but this kind of mindless classification never goes away. It has been an underlying factor in countless wars in our species past and it will have the same role for countless more in the future.

kotorfan04

Aug 7, 2009
I think the thing is that anyone who chooses to can get on a soapbox and rant about what irks them, but the people who get the most attention are the ones who are vocal and kind of insane. So yeah we have ourselves pretty misrepresented.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
Marik2 said:
Rayken15 said:
I don't really like you. Mostly because most of you americans think you are superior to everyone else, which irritates me. I also hate you for the word "soccer". It usually sends me into a homicidal rage which I can't explain to the police.
Id say its human nature to feel superior to others regardless of what nationality they come from.
No it's not. In Scandinavia there?s a mentality called "janteloven". It tells you there's always someone better than you, you are not the best and so on.

Here is the actual thing
The ten rules state:
Don't think you're anything special.
Don't think you're as good as us.
Don't think you're smarter than us.
Don't convince yourself that you're better than us.
Don't think you know more than us.
Don't think you are more important than us.
Don't think you are good at anything.
Don't laugh at us.
Don't think anyone cares about you.
Don't think you can teach us anything

It's part of our culture and most of us are heavily influenced by this

Dec 16, 2009
i dunno, from what i see in forums;
- self obsessed enough to start a thread asking what the world thinks of you.
- opinionated about everything, yet dismissive of others opinions. I remember a thread about American health care and in response to opinions from non-Americans an American claimed no foreigner was going to tell them how teir country should be run (this is a world wide forum, is it not?). sums up what I think is the typical American mentality.

from being on holiday and seeing Americans; LOUD, annoying, and totally unaware of their surroundings.

These opinions are derived from checking the profiles of the peoiple who get my back up to see they are American and from a few small groups on holiday. i know they do not represent the whole nation, but I'm yet to see something to shift my initial opinions.
not that it's anyones job to have to change my opinion, but you did ask.

AmosMoses

Mar 27, 2011
I've only had one personal experience with America and it was overwhelmingly positive. I attended a music festival on a boat in the Caribbean. So not an accurate cross section of society. Other than that all I see is those people like Glenn sodding Beck who shout the loudest. I refuse to believe that is representative of ALL of the US either.

Regardless, you should not be concerned with what people think of your country. If a large part of your personality is your "national identity"then you need to get some more meaning in your life, seriously.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Any American I've been forced to speak to has been online and the majority of them acted like racist, homophobic nut cases.

monkey jesus

Jan 29, 2009
Valkyr71 said:
You get it one way or another and it seems like when the shit hits the fan everyone looks to us.
This is entirely true, and we say "stop throwing shit at fans"