Non-Americans: How do you view us?

warmonkey

Dec 2, 2009
risenbone said:
Well what we see of you outside America is a bunch of Narsistic, bigoted, self promoting, hypocritical, selfish arseholes who think the world owes them something because of some kind of misguided beleif that you singlehandedly won WWI and WWII.

We get this attitude because well thats how your televsion and movies and polititans portray you.
The greatest trick America ever pulled was convincing the world it was retarded.

My (first) college had a large number of foreign students -- mostly from Turkey or Japan. The new ones were pretty amusing. They were pretty sure they had a good idea what America would be like -- and gosh, they were moving to *ALABAMA!* LOLZ! Stereotype here!

That "good idea" of what America and Americans were like? Entirely based on *entertainment media*. Movies, TV shows, music, American news broadcasts which are much more entertainment than information. We know what Americans are like, and so we don't tend to show that sort of thing in our entertainment. Well, Seinfeld aside, I suppose -- irrelevant. The point is I can't count on both hands the number of foreigners who were shocked that their notions derived from movies and TV about how and who Americans are were completely wrong.

And yes, I laughed, every time. So did they. I will admit I was partially laughing at them, though. How could anyone make that kind of correlation? Good lord, I don't go around thinking all Japanese people can fire energy blasts, or that all Australians know Paul Hogan (though I do ask them if they do, but only because I know it makes them angry and I am an incorrigible ass). That's just silly. We all know that's silly. But somehow, when it comes to Americans, people get the idea that it's *not* silly.

I also laugh at all you people throwing out goofy statistics that are just not true at all. 50% of Americans don't believe in evolution? Give me a break. You ask the right people a question worded the right way, sure -- but you're cherry-picking your data points, and influencing them besides. Americans are stupid because you saw some clip on Youtube put together by people trying to make a funny clip about dumb Americans? Wow, that's sure conclusive proof. I bet no other country on Earth has people who will say dumb things! Only in America!

Quietus Legion

Aug 2, 2011
I don't hate Americans, they are like any other people: some nice, some weeds that should be removed from the gene pool...
Now there are some aspects of the American society that I dislike and the government is pretty horrible, but then again so is many other governments & cultures.
But if I have to list the things I dislike the most:

-what was done to the native Americans
-the recent wars
-the way religion is too much integrated and dominant in political issues
-Monsanto