"Normandy" and "Dead Don't Shuffle"

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
Nice article! I would like you to discuss other songs as well. I don't know why people gave you a hard time over the Duke song, that game was awful!

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
So you actually are Irish? I always assumed you were American with Irish heritage. What county are you from?

I'd be interested to hear a bit about Wasteland Soul, in my own humble opinion that was one of your best works- even better than Normandy and on roughly the same level as Sweet L.A. I bought most of your singles the other day and put half of them straight on my ipod. I've only used that kind of percentage from a few other bands- Dragonforce, Iron Maiden and Van Halen. Keep up the high standards, in every style that you use!

Reckon you could do anything with Shadow of the Colossus?

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Your music is awesome! There are a few that aren't to my taste but that's down to my ear.
I like the idea of this FAQ thing you are doing, it's always interesting to see how other musicians think and work.
Any chance of a gear list in the next one?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
fer1wi said:
That was really informative! I like it! Miracle, if you're listening, do more of these. I love behind-the-scenes stuff, and this was a good view into your workings.

Any chance you might do one for Santiago's Lament? You've said it was a favorite of yours despite not being as popular as your other works. I'd like to see your full opinion on this particular song. Or one for Redemption Blues? I like your more emotional songs.
This, all of this.

Santiago's Lament and Redemption Blues are possibly my two favourite songs and I would love to hear more about them. Redemption Blues actually made me stop and reconsider the game and what exactly John Marsden had been through, it made me better appreciate an experience that I thought I had already gained as much from as I could. To have that effect on people is something special.

It's always geat to hear about the artistic processes required to make these sorts of things and the emotions and feelings that inspire them too. Keep up the fantastic work and long may you reign, Gavin!

dragonhunter21

Feb 6, 2011
I subbed to your channel on Youtube back when Gordon Freeman Saved My Life started making the rounds, then basically forgot about you. Then, one day, I see you've released a new song. And then another.

I don't think there's a single song of yours that I haven't liked. Can't wait to see what you've got in store!

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Not only a great songwriter, but an accomplished article writer as well? I'm jealous of your lingual prowess :p

OT: I can admit i'm a fanboy. No shame in that :D
It does make my opinion kinda biased though so i don't any of the criticism going your way >_>

Would like to hear the story behind "Gordon Freeman saved my life". It may not have been your first big hit, but as far as i know it's your first published work in this particular branch. A little origin story, if you will.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I have to strongly disagree with the complaints about your lyrics. Sure, some of them are a little heavy handed and groan-worthy (not a huge fan of "Dead Don't Shuffle" or "Duke, You Used to Be Cool"), but they are normally very, very good, and I find that when the lyrics aren't up to a Tom Waits level the music usually is the focus. My two favorites, "Wasteland Soul" and "Normandy" respectively, are quite well written for the most part (I even booked a large role in an Off-Broadway musical using the first verse and pre-chorus of "Wasteland Soul", so I know I'm not the only one who thinks so).

To be perfectly honest, I can't listen to the second verse of "The Ballad of Clay Carmine" without getting teary eyed (I can't be the only one, right?). When your music can evoke an emotional response like that even after the hundredth listen, you're doing something right. Keep up the great work!

AlexKasper

Feb 8, 2011
I really enjoyed reading this article :)

I'd like to hear about Sweet L.A. and Little Sister as their probably two of my favourite songs by you.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Normandy is one of my favorite songs ever, Commander Shepherd is good, but Normandy is earth shattering.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
The Duke lyrics weren't fantastic, but musically that's probably my favorite of your songs. That's the metalhead in me talking, though.

SoundByte

Sep 22, 2011
sethzard said:
Normandy is one of my favorite songs ever, Commander Shepherd is good, but Normandy is earth shattering.
I have to agree and considering when I was listening to this at a mates place, his grandfather walked past and caught the last half then thought it was about the Normandy landings (see World War 2) and started crying....that's the sign that your song found the awesome mark then overshot it my a few thousand miles

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
I'd have to say my personal favorites are "Mining All Day Long" and "I Suck at Call of Duty". Both songs hit home for me, as whenever I jump back into Minecraft that song spontaneously starts playing in my "mind's ear" where the only competition is "In Search of Diamonds" (not sure who wrote it, but it was featured on Halolz.com)

"I suck at call of duty" makes me think of whenever I go over to my co-worker's house, and all he plays is Black Ops. Seriously, he groaned at the idea of playing Mortal Kombat 9 because anything other than a "realistic" military shooter makes him feel childish. The little tw@ is barely into his 20's. Nobody - especially that young - should be ashamed of using their imagination.

EDIT: ...and yes, I suck horribly at CoD

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Nice, that sounds like a fun addition to the other articles published here.
I always enjoy artists elaborating on how they work and their rationales for why they did certain things the way they do (in your specific case, I would REALLY be interested in you talking a bit about Little Sister, just because it feels so strange in both lyrics and sound).
Pity that my own lack of ability and talent utterly disqualifies my from giving any kind of helpful criticism (the piano lessons I was forced into were a dreadful experience for everyone involved).
Listening/buying/reading a lot of your stuff will thus have to suffice as my input.
I vaguely believe you won´t mind too much.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Cool, background info! Looking forward to more of these.

It's funny how you described 'Normandy' as a grower, because it was an instant hit with me - as opposed to the straight-up rocking 'The Dead Don't Shuffle', which took three or four tries for me to really get into it (though I love it now).
I've enjoyed most of your music up to this point, and I'll say it again: As much fun as the conventional pieces are, it's when you break the mould that true gems are created, such as 'Little Sister', 'Redemption Blues' and 'Beauty Bleak'.

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask you a question, so here it goes. You've said in the past that you write songs about games you've invested a lot of time (and emotion) into, and we've already seen that you're quite willing to write more than one song about any particular game. Is it possible we'll see more tracks on the Arkham games in the future? I have to admit, I really didn't like 'Mind of the Bat'; it was still very well-made, but in my opinion the mood didn't fit the game in the slightest (as was probably the intention, much like with 'Necromorph Soup'), and before I listened to it for the first time I imagined it to be a much darker piece.

Anyway, again, I hope for more of the 'atmospheric' variety in the future, as you're insanely good at it. Seeing what you made out of your experiences with Bioshock, I can't help but wonder what we'd get if you devoted some more time to the master of all brown-trouser games; I speak, of course, of Silent Hill 2.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really love reading about musicians talking about their songs and how they got their sound, maybe it has to deal with my profession, but it gives me an idea on how they get it. It's always really fascinating to me.

It might be because of my engineer's ear, but I totally get what you mean by certain times when you're singing is off (that might be what you said, so I'm just rephrasing, I don't mean to be an ass), so I'm really really REALLY glad you don't use auto tune.

I hope I can read more of these things!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I can't believe i automatically think most things are easy, or, well, not very difficult.
I am so stupid. So it's pretty epic to hear how much you work on your songs.
I don't have an opinion about your lyrics or vocals. I mostly like to just listen how the music sounds, and English isn't my native language, so that's that.
Anyways, good to read a bit about the inside of what you do.

Neo10101

Sep 7, 2009
Just wanted to say that so far almost all of your songs I like to at least some degree, any reason I don't like a song or two is because of the genre you picked, not your fault just a "I can't help that" sorta thing. Anyway, if I were to say anything it would be that not to forget about classic games. It seems like you try to focus on the newer and very popular games, which I can understand, you want the most popular songs to get the most listeners, however, if you throw in an old song that old school gamers would really dig it wouldn't hurt, well at least I would love to hear something like Mario/Goldeneye/Star Fox/Old school final fantasy, etc. All in all, good job and please keep em coming, if you keep putting out CD's I'll keep buying them.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I think that was rather unfair underhandedly calling me a douche in this article instead of replying to me about the comment asking for more specifics.