Notch: Minecraft is Full of Hermaphrodites

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I never really saw gender as an issue in minecraft since you could make your own skin to use and you can make yourself look like a dude, chick, or anything you want, for the most part. I would've only seen it as an issue if you only have a "guy" look and nothing else.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Politeia said:
chadachada123 said:
My claim is that you don't need to know anything about feminist theory or the like in order to be a feminist. You need only want to strive for equality. (Naturally, my definition also excludes, er, 'androgynist' extremists from being feminists).
What does this have to do with androgyny? Please don't tell me you're perpetuating the stereotype of the "butch" lesbian radfem, we were doing so well. Your claim is, unfortunately, wrong because feminism is all about advocacy for women's rights as a means of attaining equality. It does not require feminists advocate for men.
I had actually just meant that as a replacement for radical feminists, I like to use a wide vocabulary when possible, and HOLY FUCK I GOT THE WRONG WORD. Goddammit, I had meant "the opposite of misogyny," there. Misandry. Dammit. I knew there was an "and" in there somewhere.

As far as sexual identity goes, trust me, I know it's far from black and white. Having been here for a fair amount of time, I've learned a lot about gender and sexuality, enough to say that I actually know all of the terms and what they mean. It's just easier to pick a gender and ask, in my experience, on the internet. We are all pretty much anonymous here, after all.

As far as feminism goes, I'd like to say that I would understand and agree with the majority of mainstream feminist opinion, but I admit that I don't know nearly enough about current opinion. I've got much to go over and mull over in that respect.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Gender in Minecraft? FFS "Steve" doesn't even have working elbows and people are worried about what it has between it's legs.

Evil Alpaca said:
So if blocky Minecraft Steve is a gay hermaphrodite, does this mean we are assigning genders to all video game characters regardless of relevance?

I have always been suspicious of the pong paddle. What's its sexuality?
My guess is straight :p

Edit
Whoops managed to quote you twice there

Dalvyn

Sep 4, 2011
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Also, in reality, the default of all of us is, in fact, the female archetype. Being male is pretty much only a mutation of the female, a hairier, bulkier version carrying its reproductive organs on the outside of the body, so we can adore wieners and so the sperm - as in little squiggly things carrying the stuff we're all made of, including the XXs and XYs - doesn't get too hot. It's all very basic, but it makes us humble brothers and sisters of cats and dogs and bovines and marsupials and snakes and turtles and whatnot. Not slugs, as they are the slimy SM troopers of the animal world, impaling each other with spears while doing it, the dirty little things.
For those of you who don't understand this statement, let me explain, because your ignorance on the subject is rather annoying.

When we are developing in the womb, at first, we are all being developed as females. This is why men have nipples, and when it takes to long to for the Y chromosome to kick in, (which is technically a mutation, but hey that is how evolution happens,) that is how hermaphrodites are formed.

So, and this goes with all animals, the default form of an animal being developed is in-fact female.

It makes sense when you think about it. Females are the ones to produce offspring. Therefore, before there where two sexes, everything was in a way female. I mean they would have been technically asexual, but they where much closer to females that males.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Politeia said:
chadachada123 said:
I had actually just meant that as a replacement for radical feminists, I like to use a wide vocabulary when possible, and HOLY FUCK I GOT THE WRONG WORD. Goddammit, I had meant "the opposite of misogyny," there. Misandry. Dammit. I knew there was an "and" in there somewhere.
Misandry works.

chadachada123 said:
As far as feminism goes, I'd like to say that I would understand and agree with the majority of mainstream feminist opinion, but I admit that I don't know nearly enough about current opinion. I've got much to go over and mull over in that respect.
I'm going to tell you one thing now, and it will serve you well. You are privileged. Don't get defensive. Don't roll your eyes. You are, just accept it. It's ok! We all are in some form. Just accept that whether you're privileged or not it's totally out of your hands. Otherwise I'll have to say "check your privilege" at you and I hate doing that.
In many ways, yes, I can agree. Though, I want to make sure to bring to light the areas where guys have it far worse than girls, like in child custody/alimony cases, where a guy's entire life can be functionally ended if the girl wants to keep the child, for example. And this is an area that could definitely affect me, a 20 year old college kid.

I guess my goal is to focus on both Men's Rights and Women's Rights at the same time, because women are not the only ones that can have life-altering discrimination.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
Steve isn't really like the main character of Minecraft. You are, hence why it's so piss easy to change your skin. 'Steve' just happens to be a convenient placeholder skin for anyone who's too lazy or just doesn't want to change their skin.

I mean, you can be anyone you want in Minecraft, my Minecraft character is Fluttershy, if you want to play as a female character in Minecraft go for it. It's not hard.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
Why is this even an issue? Are we going to start discussing how the heck the world is able to populate itself with this new revelation? Just enjoy the goodness of Minecraft and chill.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I like Notch. He takes extreme feminist arguments and dumb accusations and kicks them in the balls. Or uterus. Whatever.

It's not that he's being sexist by making "Steve" look like a "guy". It's just A character! Geez, people.
Hey, if this guy was portrayed as a Gears of War guy or Bayonetta, then sure. Extreme sexist, wail away (If you muuuuust). But that's just....a pixelated figure! The game is about building stuff, not...having sex with people.

One game that did bother me (But didn't make me want to stop playing) because of that issue was Dragon Age: Origins. I was literally just being friendly to Zevran and he thought I was in love with him. Everyone thought that! I didn't want my character to be gay (Nothing against that but that wasn't him). So I've come to find out we can't be best buddies without bedding each other. Meh.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Well, Notch can say what he likes but Steve definitively looks like a dude.

He's right about the animals though.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Bwahahaha what's next, demanding visibly recognisable genders in ASCII games?

Beautiful End said:
So I've come to find out we can't be best buddies without bedding each other. Meh.
To be fair he is a sex obsessed not-Spaniard who was raised by prostitutes.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Politeia said:
Here we go back to that anti-intellectual rage targeting liberal academics, you've been watching too much Fox News.
I have no rage against intellectuals, I feel offended by people who don't know anything and consider them intellectuals.

Fox News does not air in my country. But thanks for the Ad Hominem.

Politeia said:
So your life has been difficult? Good for you, I'm 24 and spent half that time homeless. I got my silly big-city learnin' degree and in fields I'm sure you consider to be useless and I did so by putting myself roughly $60,000 dollars in debt, not through daddy's money. Really, it's pretty insipid that you consider me some sort of rich-***** because I'm educated.
I did not say that the fields are useless, but that there are useless degrees being used to gain access to useful jobs.

Another straw-man? I'm on a roll.

Politeia said:
Privilege is not just what you have it's how society views you. Being white, male, Christian, heterosexual can all get you inclusion into a special club with it's own benefits.
WHAT PRIVILEGE? For years I have heard about this special club and privileges and if they exist, I honestly kinda want them right now.

I don't usually disclose my Atheism or sexual orientation in public, I have no problems with it but I honestly do not understand why would I ever just announce that.

Politeia said:
I spent half my life, no kidding, 12 years homeless and being white still gets me special privilege.

Which ones? The "privilege" talk always involves running away from the million dollar question.

Politeia said:
I'm telling you to check your privilege because you're discounting the hardships/views of minorities (...) because you've obviously never experience them.
Being a racial minority during my childhood and a gender minority in school obviously don't count.

Also, 70% of the country is christian. Am I a minority yet?

In fact, the only white-male environments I have ever been were my visits to military bases with my father and the mechanical engineering facility in college.

Politeia said:
It's a clear mark of a self-entitled white, male who doesn't feel like he needs to change his behavior or views to accommodate a minority
Is that what your $60,000 college tuition is worth? Insulting people you don't even know on the internet? I knew about inflation, but damn...

Glad you are giving me a free audience with you, though.

Politeia said:
Before you interject saying "that's not what I meant" that is clearly what you meant. -_- Anywho, read this article: http://blog.shrub.com/archives/tekanji/2006-03-08_146
I am not at fault if you refuse to interpret things properly. Like you are not at fault for me misinterpreting what you wrote.

If you want to agree to disagree, fine. But at least you could have tried to prove that what I said was what you think I said before claiming "I KNOW WHAT YOU MEANT BECAUSE I AM ALWAYS RIGHT AND READ MINDS AND WHATEVRS".

Seriously, you only reinforce the stereotypes.

I had no beef with you and never intended to demean your line of work. But if you earned a college diploma to have an excuse to analyze others' minds trough text like you're the freaking Internet Cal Lightman; insult them; make wild assumptions about their life and boast how much smarter than everyone else you are - you're just wasting my time.

I have no respect for that kind of "professionals".

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
I like minecraft and I find the name 'Steve' cute for a protagonist. You can be anything you want by picking a skin. You can pretend the chickens are ducks. Who cares? There shouldn't be a gender issue, it's a neutral sandbox game where expression is built from you and not the default settings.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's hard to imagine an overtly female representation of a character made up of huge pixel-blocks that wouldn't also, in some way, offend certain people... Unless we're talking about just giving the character a long-hair texture.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Politeia said:
ElPatron said:
To me it's "radical" to whine about things that are only scientifically debatable, not something that it's up to people with a college degree in FemiNAZI Baloney and Liberal Misogyny Bullshit. Who the hell CARES about what appeared first?Radical people. I can't imagine anyone sane convincing him/herself that appearing first is actually a big deal.
You're clearly denigrating an entire field of study, Women's Studies if I had to make a guess. It's certainly the one that most people accuse of being man-hating radicalism and that seems to be your point above.
When I mention imaginary degrees, it's because they don't actually exist.

I understand what you are getting at, though. I am really pissed off by people in the government claiming to have degrees that they did not finish or that did not exist (scandals that happen every 4 years or so here). It would be foolish of me to expect you to understand my frustration if you haven't been bombarded with news pieces about corruption for weeks.

Politeia said:
My statement that you watch too much Fox news was not used in my conclusion that you're wrong (...) watching too much Fox News was offered as an explanation for why you believe what you do.
Again, Cal Lightman much? If you're here to offer those analysis without any basis then it's as fallacious as any Ad Hominem.

The media in my country are basically "let's talk shit about the government, but just state the facts and leave opinions at home". The state owned media are more like "let's talk *some* shit so that people don't get suspicious".

I have no idea what wing they are because honestly... their owners have changed political allegiance more times that I care.

Politeia said:
I don't think you understand that those two are pretty much the same, the degree you get is in a field or subset of that field. Now you're angry at the fact that a college degree in whatever looks better on an application than a high school diploma? Do you even know what you're angry about?
Taking into account the number of licensed and unemployed in my country and that a lot of degrees are "cursed" with a dead-end in terms of career, I'm not even sure they even look better.

Plus, licensed people are entitled to more privileges than highschool graduates. Rather hide the degree on that diploma if you want a job.

Politeia said:
One of the most interesting things about privilege is that people who have it often aren't aware of it.
How convenient.

Politeia said:
Now I'm biologically male, but gender-queer and with a very feminine build. I'm 24 and can easily pass for an 18 year old woman if I put a meager amount of work into it. I'm assuming you've never gone out in public in drag, had to experience what it's like being a woman and how other people view you. It's often, not pretty.
I have never actually went out in drag but most of my friends did it. It's kind of a cultural thing, lots of men do that in Mardi Gras or Halloween. So no, I would never experience what you did because even if I ever decide to do that - it would be considered normal even in the most religious places in this country.

Politeia said:
Let's get one thing out of the way, if you look like an attractive woman men are grabby.
Doesn't happen often where I live. A big chunk of the population near me are first and second gen Chinese, and their culture is much different.

About white males, here they are sort of grabby but only among close friends.

Politeia said:
I made the mistake of going out to a metal concert once, in drag, and was constantly being felt up all night. I'm light so I climbed up on a friend's shoulders to take pictures...and there was the crowd of people demanding I show them my "tits". After a few minutes they knew it wasn't happening so they went back to the show, that's what someone nearby threw a beer at my head and yelled "show us your fucking tits". I gave him the finger and shook my head at him and he responded with "so show me your ass I don't give a shit". Supposedly he leaned over to another friend of mine and said "what a stuck-up ****" after that.
The usual "she is at X so she must be a slut" logic. Kind of shames the metal movement as a whole. Without trying to excuse their actions, the fact is that those people have been exposed to a world where many people are like that, and they became socially retarded.

I'm sure you have heard about college hazing. Ironically, those women who get real degrees in Women's Studies (and others) in this country are also doing "slutty things" and simulating sexual intercourse with the male freshmen.

I don't really consider it a privilege, I consider it disgusting. In my college I participated in the hazing ritual because it was actually pretty tasteful. Driving cardboard cars (with suggestive license plates), worshiping a picture of a naked woman (because Mechanical Engineering = volunteer celibacy) and basically being slaves to the female seniors (walking about with umbrellas over their heads, bringing them drinks, etc).

So you now know that there is a big contrast between colleges even in the same city. One of the biggest reasons I was against extreme hazing was because I assumed it was done for the pleasure of men. I was wrong. This might sound silly, but it's not just the male seniors telling people to do those things - female seniors take part on those events too. I don't know what the heck they do with the girls because they all parrot the same "it's all to keep us at the same level and promote comradeship". Either way, it is consensual in a very ironic way.

Politeia said:
This is hardly isolated, there's a video of Samantha Wright competing in a weightlifting competition on youtube. If you don't know who that is, she's very attractive. The top-rated comment on youtube is "she can clean and jerk me anytime".
Men do that. I don't think it's a privilege, I just think that it's something that men do all the time in secret, and rarely do in public. The internet gives them the opportunity to show their true colours.

I wouldn't do anything beyond complimenting her looks because of decency, and I don't like being rude. But if I were to say that from now on I will never make that remark in private, I would be making a promise I couldn't keep.

Either way, if being rude is a privilege then I think women should be more rude. Some men don't like it, personally I don't mind.

Politeia said:
Example of male privilege number 1: Regardless of how attractive you are; you will never have to worry about being molested at a concert or having all of your worldly accomplishments whittled down to your sex appeal.
As the Anti-American, conspiracy theorist and self-diagnosed asexual bleeding-heart Marxist prick I used to be during my childhood, I was "molested" (between quotes because I am never sure how to use that word).

I am talking about having my pants pulled down, groped, etc. It's what happens when you're in a school where there are a lot of girls, specially older ones. I am not uncomfortable talking about this because I hardly feel a "victim".

Unfortunately it was too soon for me to have taken any advantage of the situation. Yes, I am being serious, it's a "double-standard". Today I wouldn't have felt so disturbed by being groped, even if I still remember it wasn't funny back then.

with the number of folks of both genders who seem to view this as just "boys being boys" it's clearly a problem.
It is a problem, I never looked at it that way because no matter how shitty our educational system was (and still is) we deal with those problems when there is no consent. However, if you're a girl everything you do is "just playing". Same applies if there is any racial conflict between the adults and the kids. Because nobody wants to deal with people from other races.

Good for you, but you don't see how being an atheist could also grant you some measure of privilege in certain communities? Say, an international community who views atheists as being more rational than theists? Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher believe religion is caused by any number of various chemical imbalances in the brain, you don't think being an atheist in their circle grants you privilege?
That is the silliest theory about religion I have ever heard.

I still don't think that "not collecting stamps" could get me farther than just "joining their club".

ElPatron said:
Me personally? No one has ever looked at me and worried I might try to rob them. This is the problem with people who don't understand how privilege works. You're taught that discrimination is just individuals being mean, you never see the corrupt systems at work.
I have. I wear hoodies. Sometimes I come back from college after 11PM. I put the hoodie on, nobody gives a fuck about my colour. Everyone takes a glance at me, stares at the ground and starts walking away faster.

I am slightly taller than the average man and I like sporting a beard. Heck, even if I shave I look like Eminem at night.

Most of the things we are comparing depend heavily on culture. Where I am from, nobody gives a fuck about your colour because the chances of being robbed by a white are actually higher.

Heck, from the times I got mugged, 2 times were whites and 1 black. That's 2-1.

Politeia said:
Where do you live? I thought you weren't American.
Europe.

Politeia said:
ElPatron said:
In fact, the only white-male environments I have ever been were my visits to military bases with my father and the mechanical engineering facility in college.
You mean to tell me that, your entire life, you have only ever lived in areas where the majority are non-white females? And you expect me to believe this, seriously?
Okay... I think we have a slight advantage on the female side. I don't remember the percentages, but they are not too different so I am not going to claim anything definitive.

In terms of race it's neatly divided by whites and non-whites. My neighborhood was built in the 50's to house blue collar workers, which means that a big chunk of the population is old-whites. If you only count people in working age, Asians and Blacks have outnumbered the white population for some time.

ElPatron said:
I'm unemployed, living off benefits, and my degree is in photojournalism. This is how one dispels a strawman.

Also, I've never insulted you not claimed to be more intelligent than anyone else. This is simply a product of your mind coming up with a way to detract from my arguments.
Okay, then I take back what I said. But I keep saying that I never meant to insult "liberal intellectuals" as a whole. Just pseudo-intellectuals and assholes that happen to be liberals.

If you want examples, here it goes:

> Bill Reilly. He can be called an "intellectual" but honestly the man can't do good TV. Also, he will be an asshole to you if you're different in any way.

> Glenn Beck. The man doesn't even have a degree, which is fine by itself, but he pretends that he knows Economics and Politics because he's a white collar. Pseudo-intellectual with a degree in Bullshit And Conspiracy Theories.

> Rosie O'Donnell. Another pseudo-intellectual. I am not impressed by the "I'm a dyke, hurr durr" act. Whatever reason she might have behind her opinions, the woman is purely obnoxious and a complete hypocrite (against 2nd Amendment rights, but wanted one of his bodyguards to have a concealed carry permit).

This is basically the only insight I can give you related to American culture. I don't expect everyone in the world to understand my hate for certain kinds of people - but whenever I have a chance to explain myself I will take it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
This doesn't really matter as you are supposed to load your own texture to make your character look almost any way you want.

"The cows for example, have both horns and udders."

I am unlikely be the first person to say this but many female cows and most female ungulates have horns to the same extent that their male variation does.

But female mammals produce milk from mammary glands is a secondary female characteristic and ONLY female chickens lay eggs. In fact laying eggs requires a uterus so the Chickens that lay eggs are definitely female.

Not that there aren't any cocks in minecraft: NFSF "rocket" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVkBKmbrX0]

Iszfury

Oct 25, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
Iszfury said:
Twilight_guy said:
I'm sorry to tell you this Notch but the idea of 'male as default' is a serious issue and one you can't skirt around by saying 'feminist argument' and 'represents a human being'. You can take no side and wash your hands of it, but its not something you can not be involved in, even if you don't want to be. It's like racism in that no matter what color your character is, someone will cry racism just because he is some color. The only escape is to create something distinctly non-human, like a green skinned alien.
Because Notch is obviously a seething misogynist?
You don't need to be a misogynist to be ignorant of social issues.
How can you definitely say you have ANY idea of his stance on social issues? You don't think that's _a_bit_ presumptuous? PRESUMPTUOUS. AYE.

So, we're not contending he was too lazy to add in anything beyond a male character model, and now he's obviously callously explaining away game content that could potentially expose him as "ignorant" of the social climate, or (gasp) a republican? He shouldn't be forced to give way to the demands of feminist apologetics in making design decisions. I seriously doubt the mighty, intoxicating liquor of pro-male gender politics was coursing through his veins during development. Twilight is right, guys. Let it go, guys. GGEEEZZ, GUYS.

Captcha: SMASHED POTATOE
I chuckled a bit :D

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Seriously? This is even an issue?

Hey, Lego Inc, I'd like you to clarify whether my Lego Men are actually male or female. You see, they have neither penises nor boobies, and I just can't engage with the suspension of disbelief unless you spell out the exact gender/sex of each of my toys for me.

Hey, Hot Wheels[sup]TM[/sup], these cars I'm playing with, are they girl cars or boy cars? Yes, it matters! What do you mean, they're not gendered objects and a man of my age should have better things to do than attach over-politicised labels to whimsical playthings? Reading between the lines I'm pretty sure you just said "The Patriarchy rules supreme, denigrate all women, all praise the Illuminati Space-Lizard Pope Benedict", and you know what, that's not OK. I'm writing a furious blog entry right now, you chauvinist pigs.