Notch Puts Minecraft Quests, Statistics in Motion

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Notch has had his competence questioned many times while he worked on this project. I think he is hinting that hes ready for it.

This is something that I will gleefully wait for, that is if my server ever comes back... I wish to have my blessed Juno back... /cry

Gunsang

Jun 7, 2010
Looks awesome. I just hope that the weather effects won't bump the system requirements up too much because I'm not sure that my laptop could take it.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
I am so excited for this update... Glad to see that Notch is going a lot faster post-MM, and that all this awesome stuff is coming. I'm not too interested in the game (potentially)getting a story at some point, but these achievements seem like a great system and will probably work as a good tutorial.

I, for one, welcome my minecraft overlords (and possible loss of social life)

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
pyroghast said:
Centrophy said:
whiteshark12 said:
RikSharp said:
whiteshark12 said:
Rather late on this, this has been common knowledge for the last 2 days.

snip
snip
Aww, just an image? I kinda wanted to harvest some clouds. :) The game looks a lot better than from what I remember of it. I'll probably have to try it in the next few updates, hopefully after some quests are added.
quests would ruin the pure survival aspect of the game and Notch knows it and said that if he were to add a story it would be in an "Adventure Mode" sepret from survival mode. these achievements are the closest thing to quests Minecraft Survival Mode will probably get.
Awww, but survival/normal mode is just a creation tool/sandbox. I'm the type of gamer that doesn't know what to do when someone says "go play" and hands me a bunch of things. Goals man! Everyone needs goals. The clearer the goals the better. Still I suppose a lot of the Minecraft user base enjoys the game as it is just fine, I wouldn't ask them to change it for gamers like me. I just won't play it. :)

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Looks pretty cool.

I'm not liking the "Achievement Get", though... Bad grammar = funny, correct am I? In actual not really, I say for you, because that to the is what now bad.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Might cry at my inability to play minecraft since I lost my laptop, whyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?

pyroghast

Feb 21, 2011
SturmDolch said:
Looks pretty cool.

I'm not liking the "Achievement Get", though... Bad grammar = funny, correct am I? In actual not really, I say for you, because that to the is what now bad.
I think its a reference to Super Meat Boys "bandage get" phrase but im not sure someone please correct me if im wrong

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
Is he using the achevement system as a tutorial? that would be kind of an interesting way to do it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Damn... I can't wait for this, first Wolves, now weather and achievements... What next!!!!!

Also, stoked about an actual release date, not that I haven't been in since Alpha, but at least we see an end to this particular development cycle.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Crap. Now I need to get back to playing. I was doing so well, hadn't played in awhile. Oh well. That's the problem with fun addictions, I suppose.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Pretty cool, and I look forward to the opportunity of getting hit by lightning(There better be an achievement for that!). When Notch first mentioned that there would be lightning as well, I figured it was just going to be a background effect.
With this, I think Creepers finally have competition. I need to start putting stone on my wooden roofs now.

Notch has been doing just fine on progress with Minecraft. Anybody who reads his blog knows now that he has a declared goal of November 11, 2011 as Official Release date. Anybody who feels they can do better, get off your lazy critical ass and make something yourself.
This isn't a world cure Notch has been making here, he can work on it however fast or slow he wants to. He can take breaks for conventions and conferences and spend time with family and friends however he wants to.

Tom Goldman said:
A good rain is also accompanied by scary flashes of thunderlightning.
Fixed that for you Tom. Or are you a bat? Gasp! Tom is the Manbat!

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
pyroghast said:
SturmDolch said:
Looks pretty cool.

I think its a reference to Super Meat Boys "bandage get" phrase but im not sure someone please correct me if im wrong
as far as i know, it's both based on SHINE GET! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItemGet](->tvtropes) from the japanese super mario sunshine.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Achievements? Quests?

To nether with them, I want creative mode back!

WildSeraph

Jan 5, 2011
God, I just spent 20 minutes arguing with a friend about the achievement system. He thinks that it'll ruin a game made for doing whatever the hell you want. I tried convincing him that you don't need to touch the achievements or stats if you don't want to, but he won't listen.

I myself am quite excited for this update. I haven't really played Minecraft much in a long time, but I think I'll come back to it. Really amazes me how far it's come since Scott Ramsoomair put up a link to the incredibly simple survival mode that doesn't resemble this new thing at all, and made one page of VGCats about it, and immediately hooked thousands of gamers including myself. And to think, it's still given just as much attention as (if not more than) a brand-new game! I commend Notch for making such a beloved and amazing thing, as well as for keeping with it through all the buggy and hair-pulling problems.

Answer me this, though: How does one go from making what's quite possibly the most famous wide-open sandbox ever... to a card game?

Femaref

May 4, 2008
WildSeraph said:
God, I just spent 20 minutes arguing with a friend about the achievement system. He thinks that it'll ruin a game made for doing whatever the hell you want. I tried convincing him that you don't need to touch the achievements or stats if you don't want to, but he won't listen.

I myself am quite excited for this update. I haven't really played Minecraft much in a long time, but I think I'll come back to it. Really amazes me how far it's come since Scott Ramsoomair put up a link to the incredibly simple survival mode that doesn't resemble this new thing at all, and made one page of VGCats about it, and immediately hooked thousands of gamers including myself. And to think, it's still given just as much attention as (if not more than) a brand-new game! I commend Notch for making such a beloved and amazing thing, as well as for keeping with it through all the buggy and hair-pulling problems.

Answer me this, though: How does one go from making what's quite possibly the most famous wide-open sandbox ever... to a card game?
Considering the way it looks at the beginning, achievements will be used for some sort of tutorial system in the beginning, which is great. Also, I don't think you'll have a lot of any "collect x wood"-type achievements. They probably want to make achievements a way to encourage players to think outside the box while keeping them funny and irrelevant to the game world itself.