Notch Puts Minecraft Quests, Statistics in Motion

WildSeraph

Jan 5, 2011
Femaref said:
Considering the way it looks at the beginning, achievements will be used for some sort of tutorial system in the beginning, which is great. Also, I don't think you'll have a lot of any "collect x wood"-type achievements. They probably want to make achievements a way to encourage players to think outside the box while keeping them funny and irrelevant to the game world itself.
He still won't have any of it. Even if it's just a tutorial and a few creative goals you could set yourself to, he is convinced it "dumbs the game down" and "ruins the fun of figuring things out on your own". Sure, I'd be disappointed if something like Dwarf Fortress were made painfully easy, but that doesn't mean it has to be near-impossible for newbies!

Femaref

May 4, 2008
WildSeraph said:
Femaref said:
Considering the way it looks at the beginning, achievements will be used for some sort of tutorial system in the beginning, which is great. Also, I don't think you'll have a lot of any "collect x wood"-type achievements. They probably want to make achievements a way to encourage players to think outside the box while keeping them funny and irrelevant to the game world itself.
He still won't have any of it. Even if it's just a tutorial and a few creative goals you could set yourself to, he is convinced it "dumbs the game down" and "ruins the fun of figuring things out on your own". Sure, I'd be disappointed if something like Dwarf Fortress were made painfully easy, but that doesn't mean it has to be near-impossible for newbies!
Dwarf Fortress... is a chapter of its own. I'm playing eve for nearly 6.5 years now, and that game is straight forward in comparision to dwarf fortress. I still only understand half of it.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Perfect. We'll see how your "quests" work, little game, because up to now, you've just been another Garry's Mod to me.

NinjaKirby1322

Feb 25, 2009
Achievements seem like a tutorial of sorts. A welcome addition for new players, I would assume.

The weather looks great, too. Really looking forward to this update!

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Dammit Notch, stop making me drool over Minecraft!
Yeah, I can't actually play it- my PC is far too old, and I have no money to buy a new one. Till then, hurray for gameplay videos!

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
stone mined: 814,793

Please don't tell me numbers of what I'm doing on Minecraft, it'll be depressing.

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
I like the idea of weather but stats and achievements suck the fun out of anything and everything.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Cue the Anti-Fans! wait for it... people did this in a mod! I could do this faster! why is he adding to singleplayer when he should be fixing multi! why did he waste so much time on multi when he could have added to singleplayer! MINECRAFT IS UGLY I HATE EVERYONE!

OT: I think this looks great. I've been at a stall for minecraft lately because, while it's great it gets kinda repetitive to me. Hopefully these cheevo's and the weather zest it up a little and I finally get off my ass and make my doom fortress.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Hopefully the weather changing doesn't happen as fast and as often as it did in the video, but I do think quests are a much needed addition.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Not really interested in the achievements, but the interface could be used for some kind of quest-based adventuring thingamajiggy. Liking the weather effects too. Going to have to shovel the snow off of my glass roof but still.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
pyroghast said:
I think its a reference to Super Meat Boys "bandage get" phrase but im not sure someone please correct me if im wrong

*facepalm* So THAT's where I heard it before!

Rainforce said:
as far as i know, it's both based on SHINE GET! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItemGet](->tvtropes) from the japanese super mario sunshine.
Oh, that's probably what the Super Meat Boy one is based off of.

Jan 27, 2011
ummm......Has anyone else noticed the stat "DISTANCE FLOWN"?

....0_o Either that's related to pistons shooting you into the air (notch said something about implementing that mod), or it's a dev-mode flying thing.....or we might be getting a flying method soon......

Also, I'm loving the acheivement/tutorial system.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Mojang's sudden spurt of productivity has left me a bit confused. I'm not used to them working this quickly.

Good show, lads!
GWarface said:
C95J said:
Looks good, but the weather intervals come and go too quickly really, but I can get used to it.
Thats only for demonstration.. Its says so in the videos description...

Cant wait for this... Just as i cant wait for any patch to this awesome game... Just need some more content now, they might add the Piston Mod to the game.. whatever it is, it sounds cool...
This is the Piston Mod my good man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAhRl1X6T0

A damn fine addition it would make to the game aswell, would open up many a door for the adventure/challenge map designers and redstone circuitry people.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Minecraft needs the following things, pronto:
* Special resources in different parts of the world - not just in different biomes, but several (in-game) days' walk away from each other. Special stones (Ruby? Emerald?), different kinds of plants, rare materials of all kinds.
This will accomplish two things primarily: First, it gives exploration a real purpose besides "see scenery." Several versions ago, I used to go on treks to find cactus (back before there were entire biomes of the stuff), reeds, and flowers. It was a great change of pace from building and fighting, and it needs to come back.
Second, different resources will give multiplayer a new dimension. Imagine if everyone started in different areas of the world and could trade their unique resources back and forth to other communities.
* Survival mode - let the player need to eat, sleep, and keep cool. Let the various attributes kick in after a few days' time - say, on day three you feel hungry for the first time, and on day four heating becomes an issue. Suddenly, the game gets an added layer of complexity, making for a much more involving experience.
* Better dungeons. The current dungeons are a nice start, but there's so much more to do with them. Persistent monsters, chains of rooms, traps... dungeon raids could be so much fun with a little effort.

That said, I love the idea of this achievement system - it's a perfect tutorial for the game, at least if it stops after a while. If it keeps going with various and sundry recorded "discoveries," though... not so good.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Im a bit scared that the weather effects will just bog down my computer even more. Minecraft isnt the most efficient game, and Im not on the greatest computer, so I have a feeling snow and rain would kill my computer.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Those achievements are not a bad substitute for a proper tutorial at all. Plus I love the rain, it's gonna make my planned Mordorfication of my realm look that much more depressing.
That's what I was thinking as well.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
C95J said:
Looks good, but the weather intervals come and go too quickly really, but I can get used to it.
The rate of weather-change has probably been upped for demonstrational purposes.