Notch Requiring Licenses for Minecraft Mod Developers

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Notch Requiring Licenses for Minecraft Mod Developers

Mojang is implementing a plan that'll give players the power to become officially licensed Minecraft mod developers.

One of the primary issues Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson has been deliberating over for the final version of the game is how he wants to handle mods, a term typically used to refer to user-made alterations of a game's basic components. For example, this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107367-Modders-Recreate-Halo-Deathmatch-in-Minecraft]. He and Mojang have come to a decision on the matter which will create an official Minecraft mod developer license deal.

Notch recently wrote on his blog that two major issues were making him hesitant to create an official Minecraft mod API. They include "preventing people from making money off [Mojang's] work (unless they have a license deal with [Mojang])" and "making sure mods don't break with each game update." So, official mod developers will now have to sign up for a license deal. Problem solved.

As a licensed mod developer, users will be able to download Minecraft's source code direct from Mojang, and it'll be updated anytime a change is made. Each developer, which could refer to a team of people, will receive a unique certificate to sign his/her/their mods. This will enable players to know who's making what and to return to developers they enjoy.

The plan was originally going to cost money to weed out those that weren't serious about mod making, but a negative response caused Notch to scratch the monetary entry fee about 15 minutes after it was first announced. Notch adds that Mojang might end up purchasing the best mods and selling them, possibly through a mod marketplace, or it might integrate certain mods into the main game. There's no timetable for when this system will be in place, but it'll likely come before or around Minecraft's official release date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109095-Mojang-Finally-Sets-Minecraft-Release-Date] of November 11, 2011.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Selling mods?
Unless the mod devs get 100% of the profit I think thats a bit of a dick move, Notch getting paid for what was already meant to be free and all that.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
wow, he went from bedroom indie to 'Apple style' overwatch in record time!!

seriously... you would think developers in the 90s didn't make any money at all...

wtf!? they gave you free dev tools, un-managed lan multiplayer ect... they basically just gave you the game and let you do what ever you wanted with it! they didn't go bust!??

I hear that even to play lan minecraft you have to have a net connection to sign into some mojang server...

wtf is wrong with people... surely this guy is already set for life...

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Well, you can never have too much money!

But I don't care for mods anyway so it won't affect me in any way.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Prof.Beany said:
Selling mods?
Unless the mod devs get 100% of the profit I think thats a bit of a dick move, Notch getting paid for what was already meant to be free and all that.
After he already bought the mod from the devs. Valve does that, its not that unusual.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
If im reading this right, this licence will allow modders to easily update their mods with each new patch, and will also make it easier to determine which mod belongs to which modder. Is that about right?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009

Fair enough.

Before, people moaned that the mods would break on an update. Now, he tries to fix that, and everyone calls him a fucking twat (essentially). Right then.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
jawakiller said:
Prof.Beany said:
Selling mods?
After he already bought the mod from the devs. Valve does that, its not that unusual.
I'll say. That's what I thought of first when I heard about Notch doing this. "Oh, he's doing a Valve thing." Which isn't too bad, but as someone mentioned above, releasing source-code is a tricky business.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
WanderingFool said:
If im reading this right, this licence will allow modders to easily update their mods with each new patch, and will also make it easier to determine which mod belongs to which modder. Is that about right?
Its already easy to do without a license and is already done. This is just another layer of shit.

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
It's still early and still a mess, after he changed the price part the whole subject got blurry, and he still has to work the changes with his lawyer to release a new explanation of how it will be, I think he means the mods will be sold by the developers in a minecraft store, not sure how it will be work.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
MasterSaji said:
jawakiller said:
Prof.Beany said:
Selling mods?
I'll say. That's what I thought of first when I heard about Notch doing this. "Oh, he's doing a Valve thing." Which isn't too bad, but as someone mentioned above, releasing source-code is a tricky business.
Source code for a major AAA title that has a huge online component is a problem, a hit indie game that is more Co-op than anything and is no where near as complex is not a problem.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This really goes against the spirit of modifications. They are done for free for the community.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
AC10 said:
This really goes against the spirit of modifications. They are done for free for the community.
And this right here is the problem. All notch is doing is trying to keep the cash flow coming in but I make mods for fun if your a modder in it for money your not a modder your a Dev so go get a fucking job in the industry.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Woodsey said:

Fair enough.

Before, people moaned that the mods would break on an update. Now, he tries to fix that, and everyone calls him a fucking twat (essentially). Right then.
My thoughts exactly.

Also I don't think anyone would be happy to hand over the source code of their game to ANYONE just like that, I understand why Notch and co. would have preferred the "pay for license" deal and he has every right to.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
PettingZOOPONY said:
MasterSaji said:
jawakiller said:
Prof.Beany said:
Selling mods?
Source code for a major AAA title that has a huge online component is a problem, a hit indie game that is more Co-op than anything and is no where near as complex is not a problem.
I assume the problem is more in wanting to make sure your work is protected rather than the complications of the code.

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
If I'm understanding this correctly, your overracting a bit zoopony. He's only entertaining the idea of selling mods, and only after he has bought them from the mod dev. In addition, this is mostly a legal security measure, to ensure that anyone that has the source code and does something stupid like, say, try to make minecraft TEH RIPOFF with it, will be in a position to be seriouslly shat upon in courts. You'll still be allowed to make mods by yourself, this is simply a legal measure.