Notch: SteamOS is "Saving the Entire Gaming World"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
Come on, it was an initial marketing announcement. We don't really have any concrete details on how anything works yet. It's not even the only announcement this week.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds amazing, but until we know more we should reserve judgement.
It was something Gabe Newell did. It's also a comment from a guy who hates Windows 8 worse than AIDS, Stalin, and John Denver.

So what, really, is to be expected?

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
If Valve wants to make an OS I can run all my Windows PC games on, that's cool. If Valve wants to make an OS I can play my Steam catalog on, I have one.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
GeneralFungi said:
Nocturnus said:
Stupid. Double Standard. Microsoft's scenario isn't even -real-, and he's concerned about it. Valve's OS is committing the very act that he is/was concerned about, and he doesn't care, and in fact loves it in the same sentence that he is condemning Microsoft.

Can we please stop paying attention to this idiot now?
The biggest difference would be that even if the steam OS did everything that windows 8 has done that we hate, if I install it to my PC I can opt out of it and simply install a new operating system. It was free and it had no strings attached. If I want to buy a computer, unless I build it myself or are very fortunate in buying one already made, it's probably going to have windows 8 and I don't have the option to switch operating systems at all (unless I buy a more expansive version of windows 8 I think. Don't quote me on that.). No matter what Steam does, it's my choice whether I use it or not. I don't have that level of choice if I use windows 8.
Since SteamOS is free can't you just replace Windows 8 with it?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Josh12345 said:
Here's a question, and I mean it as a legitimate one:

Do you think Valve will allow Origin on this OS, or do you think EA might try and make their own?
Good question. I don't think Valve would get away with blocking the competition when they said it was going to be an open platform, that said I think EA would attempt their own version so they can bugger it up and be unpopular. Valve probably wouldn't stop Origin being available, they just wouldn't help.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I say stuff about things all the time. Where's my front page article? Are you telling me all I need to do is make one good game and then it's front page for life?

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
GeneralFungi said:
Nocturnus said:
Stupid. Double Standard. Microsoft's scenario isn't even -real-, and he's concerned about it. Valve's OS is committing the very act that he is/was concerned about, and he doesn't care, and in fact loves it in the same sentence that he is condemning Microsoft.

The biggest difference would be that even if the steam OS did everything that windows 8 has done that we hate, if I install it to my PC I can opt out of it and simply install a new operating system. It was free and it had no strings attached. If I want to buy a computer, unless I build it myself or are very fortunate in buying one already made, it's probably going to have windows 8 and I don't have the option to switch operating systems at all (unless I buy a more expansive version of windows 8 I think. Don't quote me on that.). No matter what Steam does, it's my choice whether I use it or not. I don't have that level of choice if I use windows 8.
Technically yes but the process you'd need to go through involves tampering with the system in some unintended ways. It's difficult and grueling. Microsoft threw up as many obstacles as they could in order to make it as difficult as possible to downgrade unless you have the Pro version of windows 8 which is obviously more expensive. It involves tampering with the operating system in ways that microsoft didn't intend. They mostly hope that it will either be too expensive or be such a pain in the ass that people will decide not to go through the trouble and just stick with windows 8.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
All of this seems too asinine. I want to sit down and think about this, as well as some of the replies.

First, this irks me. Why do we want Minecraft on Steam? Why would Mojang ever put minecraft on Steam? The only thing that could possibly benefit Minecraft from Steam is the steamworks API with community. The right click a friend to join their server. This won't work the way you're thinking either, because Minecraft needs to be coded to have their local servers available to the internet. I don't see plans for this.

Furthermore, Minecraft has no benefit from Steam other than publicity. I'm pretty sure that everybody and their dog (and cat) has heard of Minecraft so this is a non-issue. Steam is another layer of DRM, that's almost as easily bypassed as Mojang's solution. So, really, this is just adding another layer of headache, for next to no benefit to the developer, and no benefit to the user.

Secondly, why does he care about VALVe? No, wait... I see it now. This has to be sarcasm. His actions make no sense, releasing a modified version of creative for the 360, working closely with Microsoft, and doing nothing to work with VALVe. Sure, he's got a hat in TF2, but from a business standpoint, I just don't get it. He's made no push to VALVe, and VALVe has not extended their hand to him. What's the purpose? I'll admit, I'm a fanboy too, but I wouldn't say they're the grace of gaming, even if my project weaseled it's way into Steam. (Though, I probably would if I was given a team and permitted to keep my IP's.)

Third up... Windows. Yes, the whipping boy. It's coy little app-store. All it does is gather dust. Every Win8 user I've spoken to doesn't use apps. The API is unused, and Win8 has done nothing to harm compatibility. Infact, I'm having an easier time with my 16bit legacy shit than I did on 7. So there's that. Gabe predicted Win8 would be a problem. I sat down, used it for 8 seconds, and predicted that Win8 can only improve how we use the modern computer. I'm right, he's wrong. Get over it. Win8 finds a way to make things easier to get to important locations "under the hood" so that the standard user can troubleshoot, and not fuck shit up. But we can't have that, because that would demean people who actually know what they're doing.

Well, no worries there. We've got people like Gabe Newell who looked at the Start Screen and immediately decry it because things look different. Meanwhile, I looked at the Start screen, Task Manager, better permissions controls and the Tools Menu. It's astonishing that, because I actually work with these newfangled things called "computers" I seem to have a more clear head than top games industry names. Why do we have these people ripping into an OS? What reasoning did they give? I missed it when they talked about the MS apps store. I didn't hear a quip about the permissions and Policy Changes within the system. These are the real problems that developers might have actually had to face, but no. We can't discuss those.

And that brings me to SteamOS. This is going to be lovely. Everybody wants a console it seems. I don't understand why we're all jumping on this bandwagon. A console is a lucrative amount of money to be dumped in there. Nintendo is established. Sony is established. Sega was established, but thought too far ahead and died as a result. Microsoft picked up the pieces and rolled with it. The current lineup, including things in development? Let's look over this upcoming generation...

We've got the WiiU, which I haven't been watching, so I don't know how it's fairing.
We've got the PS4, which is grabbing a mountain of popularity.
We've got the XB1, which people will buy in droves because they're fucking vain.
And We're also looking at the Ouya, which is absolutely doomed to fail, and never had a chance.
And We're looking toward the Nvidia Piston. God fucking help them because most of the world's forgotten that one already.
Aaand now we're looking at this Steam Box's OS, which has VALVE's popularity behind it.

People hardly want the three consoles. I remember looking toward the media center in my living room years ago at the Wii, 360, and Ps3 and instantly feeling that heavy regret. My brother was the same way. My friends are the same way... Do we really want four? Five? Six of the fucking things? My circles are out of this generation for the most part because we realized this shit's collecting dust, except for the PS3, which was the easiest to use netflix with.

The Ouya is an omen. I'm not saying Valve is doomed to fail, but it's surely going to hurt the company, and I highly doubt that a strong PC gamer base is going to go for it. I also doubt that current console players are going to jump away from their PS4 to go for the damn thing too. As a strong PC user, why would I stream to my living room, when I can just buy a HDMI cable, and run it through the wall? (Or in my case, 8 feet, but not everybody lives in a single bed with the computer next to the 14 inch CRT that only accepts two composite's and a coax.) Why not move the computer to the living room, and keep a separate laptop for work? Many people's households have already defeated the purpose of the Console.

However, I could be overestimating my fellow man. I do that quite often. I've had people tell me that the Mac is just better for artistic work just because.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
GeneralFungi said:
WeepingAngels said:
GeneralFungi said:
Nocturnus said:
Stupid. Double Standard.[...]

Technically yes but the process you'd need to go through involves tampering with the system in some unintended ways. It's difficult and grueling. Microsoft threw up as many obstacles as they could in order to make it as difficult as possible to downgrade unless you have the Pro version of windows 8 which is obviously more expensive. It involves tampering with the operating system in ways that microsoft didn't intend. They mostly hope that it will either be too expensive or be such a pain in the ass that people will decide not to go through the trouble and just stick with windows 8.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+format+your+computer

What was this about being difficult to downgrade your OS?

EDIT: Really, could you please just make up more shit about how Microsoft wants you on 8 so badly? If you've got a license for another OS, Windows, and MS, is completely incapable of stopping you.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
GeneralFungi said:
WeepingAngels said:
GeneralFungi said:
Nocturnus said:

Couldn't you just reformat and install the OS you want?

Voren

Jun 26, 2010
Oh ok, I see, we are all supposed to pretend Windows 7 doesn't exist and that the majority of the pc community who uses MS doesn't use Win 8, but rather , windows 7 without a book's worth of complains?

I have windows 7 and a steam account with more than 120 games (linked to my profile here) and as much as I love Valve,I can't think of any reason to switch. Why exactly do I want to play my huge catalog on my tv on a lower resolution than my monitor?
It says right there on the website : you NEED a computer with windows or osx to run this OS on a "machine" that is apparently not my pc...so I'm supposed to buy a box to play games I can already play as is? Why is the steambox important at all if it is dependent on a rig? HALP?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Nocturnus said:
Um...

Notch needs to pull his head out of his butt.

Why does Windows 8 worry him? Because people have this weird, bizarre, fictitious scenario in their heads where they lock down everything to the Windows store and take 30% of all sales from every software purchase in the Operating System, thus committing company-wide suicide in the process very likely.
Looks at Xbone fiasco. No I can't imagine a scenario where a large tech corporation would do something that stupid...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Look! Valve announces an OS and gamers rejoice, except that they apparently don't know the difference between an announcement and actual FACTS. It seems this is a proprietary system that is designed to run with a Steam approved box, and streams games from your PC. So... you're going to have to have a PC anyway that probably runs Windows so you can play the massive catalog of games NOT available on Linux. In otherwords, in VALVE terms its not really an O/S but a co-O/S, so its not a savior, just a tool of convenience.
Something for people like my wife who has trouble playing games on PC because her disability makes it difficult to sit at a PC for a long time.
Notch dude, you make a good game but you seem to talk out of your ass sometimes. If you hate Microsoft/Windows so much why did you make a game that runs on it? Or port it to Xbox360?

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Josh12345 said:
Here's a question, and I mean it as a legitimate one:

Do you think Valve will allow Origin on this OS, or do you think EA might try and make their own?
If I'm not mistakes Valve doesn't own this OS, they just made it and named it. It's still free and open source, you can put whatever you want on it.

The reason they made it was because they wanted their SteamBox to no use Windows, and the path they choose to that was making a gaming Linux distro that's complete and really works, and strips everything else that's not needed to focus on gaming, because it didn't exist yet. Of course they would do the marketing move of calling it SteamOS. By making it on Linux, any games made for Linux can be played on their box, regardless being on Steam or not, makes for another reason for people to buy their hardware. Non-steam games might not be more software for their store, but still are more games for their console.

Most likely we'll be seeing Origin, Desura, and maybe an Amazon store being announced soon, to run on Linux and more specifically, on the SteamOS.

ReleGamer

Sep 24, 2013
Bit of an exaggeration...but i think it will definitely shake up couch gaming. Il be interested to see where it goes

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I seriously can't wait for this machine. I'd buy it, it would probably have keyboard and mouse support.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I didn't get this announcement either. So let me get this straight...

They are making a steam box so you can play your games "streamed" from your PC? This means the users that wants to use this are one of the minority of people that can afford "Big Picture" (that includes a HDTV which is not cheap at all) and they have to be primarily PC gamers (having a big PC game library).

The majority of the PC gamers that only play on that platform have no trouble sitting at their PC and playing games with m&k and/or controller. Remind me again how is this "saving the game world" Notch?

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
I too am confused about how Win8 is bad for independent developers. Unless I missed the rioting I'm pretty sure all the applications that run on Win7 (independent or otherwise) also run on Win8. So I don't see how there could possibly be any sort of mechanism that can pose an obstacle for new applications.

I may not be thrilled with what I've seen of Win8's UI design choices but I suspect before long I will be using it and discovering it's not as bad as I feared. Or at least something I can adjust to.

Evil Smurf said:
I seriously can't wait for this machine. I'd buy it, it would probably have keyboard and mouse support.
Which machine is that?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Huh... So let's see:

Hyperbolic tweets from Notch. Potentially made in the absence of solid info.
Hyperbolic, overly vitriolic, and spiteful posts underneath; all aiming their ire squarely at Notch and Valve.

Yep. Just another day on the escapist forums. Just what I needed to unwind this evening.

Seriously, can we not discuss anything around here without falling into hyperbole and personal attacks? It's like this place is becoming 4chan.

We don't want to be like 4Chan, do we?

Still, good news report Mr. Stoneback. Most of yours are.

Insightful. Pithy. To the point. And, generally free of bias or dismissive quips.

I hope the news room pays you well. ;)

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
What I'm most interested to see is the controller. Everything else is less is less important -_-