Notch: SteamOS is "Saving the Entire Gaming World"

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
Dexter111 said:
BeerTent said:
Secondly, why does he care about VALVe? No, wait... I see it now. This has to be sarcasm. His actions make no sense, releasing a modified version of creative for the 360, working closely with Microsoft, and doing nothing to work with VALVe. Sure, he's got a hat in TF2, but from a business standpoint, I just don't get it. He's made no push to VALVe, and VALVe has not extended their hand to him. What's the purpose? I'll admit, I'm a fanboy too, but I wouldn't say they're the grace of gaming, even if my project weaseled it's way into Steam. (Though, I probably would if I was given a team and permitted to keep my IP's.)

Third up... Windows. Yes, the whipping boy. It's coy little app-store. All it does is gather dust. Every Win8 user I've spoken to doesn't use apps. The API is unused, and Win8 has done nothing to harm compatibility. Infact, I'm having an easier time with my 16bit legacy shit than I did on 7. So there's that. Gabe predicted Win8 would be a problem. I sat down, used it for 8 seconds, and predicted that Win8 can only improve how we use the modern computer. I'm right, he's wrong. Get over it. Win8 finds a way to make things easier to get to important locations "under the hood" so that the standard user can troubleshoot, and not fuck shit up. But we can't have that, because that would demean people who actually know what they're doing.
Let me see if I can sum it up

Microsoft is eyeing Apple greedily and is working its way towards a "closed-off" ecosystem: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-8/windows-desktop-death
I'm sorry, but you can't site an editorial (A piece of opinion writing) and call it proof of the fact that Windows is moving toward a "Closed-Off" ecosystem. The guy even uses Windows 8.1 as a reference to why they are trying to move toward removing the Desktop as an option entirely, when in 8.1, they are bringing the desktop back as a boot-to option, and disabling quite a few of the Metro Aspects like the Hot Corners and Start Screen.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Nocturnus said:
It's not from my ass. Valve already does this with Steam. Every steam purchase that happens gives 30% of every sale to Valve. It's the backbone of their business, and one of the reasons why Newell ended up on one of Forbes new list of Billionaires.

And people think that SteamOS is magically going to reverse this policy? There's a reason the operating system is free. They're counting on people installing it and continuing to buy from Steam, thus giving them that 30%.

There is also no "Profit" to be made from it. Microsoft doesn't take 30% of every program sale that is installed and filtered through SmartScreen, and you'd better believe that Valve is really raring to increase the amount of people that are dipping into that catalogue and giving them the money associated with those purchases.

I don't see an issue with Steam doing this. I never have. But for Notch to claim that Valve is the next coming of Christ while calling out Microsoft for something they haven't done and aren't doing? In this case, the fictitious assumption that Windows might in some fantasy world lock down their Operating System to just install from the Windows Store to take a 30% cut of program installs? While Valve -does that- and has -done that- for years? Making enough money to skyrocket Gabe Newell to Billionaire Status? Yes. That's what we call a double standard.

Steam is not an OS its an application. ofc they charge for their services, so do amazon or any other distributor but compare their charge to whatever sony/MS charge in their closed system OS's there's a reason why it costs 20+ more $ to buy a console game than a pc one , that's because your paying that extra 20 in a direct drm licence tax.
and who knows haw many times worse it is for the poor console devs. if we didn't have game stop keeping digital sales of PC games artificially high at launch.

and you are making my point on the rest of it. there is no charge on windows 7 or 8 because they are still open like valve's linux based upcoming OS.

there is a charge on apple because its a closed off OS. and its clear that microsoft want to go that route to. why? because they arent idiots. they see the bank apple makes and they want a slice. its silly to think they wouldn't want to go that way. its not fantasy to assume a company will act its in own best interests.
Microsoft don't want us gaming on our pc's they want us gaming on their closed platform xbox series, so they can charge a huge licence fee take a massive percentage and charge 40k to let people patch games.
so why havent they? its only just got to the point where it would be worth it and they have the position to do it. and simply put before apple did it no one considered it. the PC OS market used to a competitive place and its not now.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Seriously, can we not discuss anything around here without falling into hyperbole and personal attacks? It's like this place is becoming 4chan.

We don't want to be like 4Chan, do we?
Hey, at least ethnic slurs aren't a part of our common vocabulary.
Or heterosexist slurs, or sexist slurs, or ableist slurs. Or any slur.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
EstrogenicMuscle said:
Vigormortis said:
Seriously, can we not discuss anything around here without falling into hyperbole and personal attacks? It's like this place is becoming 4chan.

We don't want to be like 4Chan, do we?
Hey, at least ethnic slurs aren't a part of our common vocabulary.
Or heterosexist slurs, or sexist slurs, or ableist slurs. Or any slur.
True. But I can't help but feel that the primary, if only, reason they're not used is because doing so, in any context, is sure to get the poster a swift warning or ban.

Maybe it's just me, but the forum has felt increasingly hostile and confrontational over the past two years. Certainly far more than it was when I joined six years ago.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Strazdas said:
Ah, the common mistake of "expensive pc".
you dont need an expensive PC to play videogames. The games we have now can run with a moderate powerful PC. and while this will likely change with new consoles, well you got to buy that 500 dollar console anyway.
Yes, PC is initially a more expensive investment, however it makes up in game price very fast. If you buy more than a game per 2 months you will win in terms of economic perspective.
Your xbox runs games without question. My PC runs games without question. I guess its not so shit after all is it?
Don't know where you get your pc, but I got my laptop 2 years or so ago at around $700 and it can't handle WoW, Cod, Saints row, or any recent game. Even on low graphics it overheats within half an hour. My xbox was $300, came with 2 games and hasn't had a single problem since I got it at launch.
Also unless you count some generally horrible pc exclusive indies all the games are the same price across platforms over here.
Also before you say something about using a laptop, I live between two houses and moving a desktop wouldn't be worth it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Trippy Turtle said:
Strazdas said:
Ah, the common mistake of "expensive pc".
you dont need an expensive PC to play videogames. The games we have now can run with a moderate powerful PC. and while this will likely change with new consoles, well you got to buy that 500 dollar console anyway.
Yes, PC is initially a more expensive investment, however it makes up in game price very fast. If you buy more than a game per 2 months you will win in terms of economic perspective.
Your xbox runs games without question. My PC runs games without question. I guess its not so shit after all is it?
Don't know where you get your pc, but I got my laptop 2 years or so ago at around $700 and it can't handle WoW, Cod, Saints row, or any recent game. Even on low graphics it overheats within half an hour. My xbox was $300, came with 2 games and hasn't had a single problem since I got it at launch.
Also unless you count some generally horrible pc exclusive indies all the games are the same price across platforms over here.
Also before you say something about using a laptop, I live between two houses and moving a desktop wouldn't be worth it.
my 5 year old laptop can handle wow! you should definatelly see where the problem is.
secondly you have to realize, im not talking about a laptop, but a tower. to have same power on a laptop will cost you double the price. and if your buying it for gaming, its money wasted. and as you mention yourself, they have a tendency to overheat. Gaming laptop is a myth propagated by people that want to sell you overpriced hardware for twice its worth.
moving a PC tower is similar to moving a console. you need to move the box, the controllers (keyboard and mouse) and if you use external speakers, that. im asusuming you got TV in both locations, either way you got to move TV/monitor (there really is no reason to buy TV now. for same price you can get a better TV, just it will be labeled "monitor"). as far as moving around its similar, altrough i admit most cases are slightly bigger.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Nocturnus said:
Um...

Notch needs to pull his head out of his butt.

Why does Windows 8 worry him? Because people have this weird, bizarre, fictitious scenario in their heads where they lock down everything to the Windows store and take 30% of all sales from every software purchase in the Operating System, thus committing company-wide suicide in the process very likely.

Why is Valve "Saving the Entire Gaming World"? Because they made an operating system that... locks down everything to the Steam Store... that takes 30% of all sales from every software purchase in the Operating System.

Stupid. Double Standard. Microsoft's scenario isn't even -real-, and he's concerned about it. Valve's OS is committing the very act that he is/was concerned about, and he doesn't care, and in fact loves it in the same sentence that he is condemning Microsoft.

Can we please stop paying attention to this idiot now?
90% of complaints of games not working on Steam is apparently due to incompatibility issues with Windows 8. I have Windows 7 though, so most of my games work fine, so I havent experienced this first hand, but I frequent the forums for many of the games and people on 8 seem to have all the issues.