Notch Unveils His New Game

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Jove said:
Subscription fee? Jeez this guy has completely sold out yet people still worship the damn guy like he's the Neo of gaming.
Minecraft wasn't free. It had a single purchase model. This has a subscription payment model.

Both are equally capitalistic. If one is selling out so is the other.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
2012 Wont Happen said:
Jove said:
Subscription fee? Jeez this guy has completely sold out yet people still worship the damn guy like he's the Neo of gaming.
Minecraft wasn't free. It had a single purchase model. This has a subscription payment model.

And since when has getting paid for your work been classed as "selling out"? If that's the case, I "sold out" when I first cleaned my Dad's car in return for cash when I was a wee laddie.

(And I'm not suggesting that you're suggesting he is selling out... I just chose your post to quote. :)

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
After release, I give it two weeks before someone makes a C compiler for the shipboard computer.

tensorproduct

Jun 30, 2011
DiamanteGeeza said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Jove said:

And since when has getting paid for your work been classed as "selling out"? If that's the case, I "sold out" when I first cleaned my Dad's car in return for cash when I was a wee laddie.

(And I'm not suggesting that you're suggesting he is selling out... I just chose your post to quote. :)
I think that there was a time where "selling out" meant sacrificing you artistic vision for the sake of whatever large company was giving you facilities and publicity and legitimacy. These are things that don't apply to Notch in any way. If he charges you for things, it's because he wants your money, not that The Man does.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The truth is that I'm not sure exactly what Notch's new game is in any specific sense and I have no idea how to pronounce the title [although I suspect there's some kind of phonetic play going on here; Zero Extents, perhaps?],
0x10^c

Hmm well, 0x is a common prefix in computing indicating a hexidecimal number...

If you translate this a little, you get:

hexidecimal 10 to the power of c

But taking some common abbreviations, you could get this instead:

hex-ten-c

and a bit of phonetic massaging makes;

ex-ten-c, which sounds very close to

extents.

So... That's one possible phonetic derivation, and one that could vaguely fit the game concept.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
DiamanteGeeza said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Jove said:

It isn't selling out. I don't like Capitalism, but the system is what it is. Getting paid is something you've gotta do and Notch found a good way to do that.