Notch Unveils His New Game

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
weirdguy said:
Because Eve Online didn't have ENOUGH spreadsheets.
Eve online IS a spreasheet with graphics.

Very ambitiuos, but if he can pull it off, hes going to attract the best people out there - nerds.

Also I hate the fact you have to pay for an MMO when you first get it (With the big ones) and then again to actually play it. At least this way I can buy the game and play it without subscription
you have to pay only if you are stupid enough to buy the hardcopy. all the big ones allow free downloads of the client and trial period and then you pay for gametime.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
SpAc3man said:
...whereas the DCPU-16 specifications called for little endian.
Ugh! I was wondering about this and now I know... and they chose WRONG...! *readies the Lilliput fleet* ;)
(EDIT: 68k 4evah! :9)

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
How come you guys are all excited about this computer in a computer mechanism, or Minecrafts emulated computers but dont mention another really ambitious game out there called Dwarf Fortress ?

That game had a emulated computer in the game before Minecraft got big, players had used the mechanism system and fluid mechanics in the game to emulated a CPU with memory.

Dwarf Fortress has lots of the architecture builds of Minecraft scale, it just lacks the graphical options to show it off... and those structures cant be hand placed, you need to direct and control a army of dwarves to construct it.
Set up a camp, mine out the materials needed , build the workshops to make tools to craft other stuff, ensure supplies of food and booze ( very critical item ) , see to defences and military capacity ( including traps , siege defence equipment, training ), landscape the surroundings and often need to use or divert local water sources ... issalongagame :p.

... yet Minecraft and this barely explained confusing title gets all the limelight.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Who wants to bet that Minecraft was a fluke and that Notch's next game won't be nearly as good or as popular?

I'll reserve judgment, but I'm highly sceptical.
Notch basically stole the idea for Minecraft from an indie game designer and has done next to nothing to actually make Minecraft any good--99% of it comes from others. On top of that, Notch has shown himself again and again to be a spoiled asshole in public.

This is one space journey I hope crashes and burns before taking off.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Strazdas said:
you have to pay only if you are stupid enough to buy the hardcopy. all the big ones allow free downloads of the client and trial period and then you pay for gametime.
You have to purchase the full version of the game after your trial expires (which comes with time) before you can purchase game time.

Companies like Blizzard aren't dumb enough to let people do what you described.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Peg me as mildly intrigued. Space? Yay! Monthly subscription? Nay!

Being poor has its downsides but even if I had some extra money to spare I wouldn't tack on another bill. I like paying for a game and enjoying it forever (or until the disc goes boom) after one payment.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Colobot with X level space exploration?
(at least that is potential according to description)
Yes please!

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Who died and made Notch the new Peter Molyneux!

Sounds outlandish, and come on, assembly language is not a fun language, that's why nobody really uses it anymore. Why is Notch making it like assembly language? - because it might take a while to do a language like, say C++ or BASIC instead. A language like that could run quite efficiently in a little simulated virtual machine - it won't be fun to program with it... redstone circuits are a challenge, assembly language is a mindfuck. I'm wondering if that'll change into something more visual, like a grid based logic system, something that doesn't require a PHD and a Batman fascination to understand fully.

I think the whole idea is too geek orientated, and it's the extreme sort of geek that this game would appeal to, basically Sheldon Cooper will love this game. The pricing is horse shit as well - 13 bucks per month!, does Notch think he's making the next WOW!
Mojang are not there yet, they aren't Blizzard, someone at Moj needs to gag him quick, before he disappears up his own ass with this lofty Molyneux-style drivel. Every programmer under the sun has a massive idea for a massive space game, unfortunately most of these ideas are too lofty to ever see the light of day. If Notch does go for this and it's not some belated April fools joke, then they'll be working/procrastinating on it for years, it'll absorb every last penny Moj has. Seriously they should do something like Minecraft2 instead, let the pie stay in the sky.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
The computer in the game is a fully functioning emulated 16 bit CPU that can be used to... play games on while waiting for a large mining operation to finish
Or you could just press Alt+Tab.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
2 ways I can see this going..

First way, it will actually teach the player coding in a fun and rewarding way thus allowing people with no prior coding knowledge play and enjoy.

or people new to coding will find smashing down a brick wall with a breadstick less challenging.

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
Name- Interest -1
"monthly subscription fee"I interest-10
"fully functional 16-bit CPU" - interest -1000
Because nothing says fun like spreadsheets

Limecake

May 18, 2011
ASnogarD said:
Dwarf Fortress has lots of the architecture builds of Minecraft scale, it just lacks the graphical options to show it off... and those structures cant be hand placed, you need to direct and control a army of dwarves to construct it.
Set up a camp, mine out the materials needed , build the workshops to make tools to craft other stuff, ensure supplies of food and booze ( very critical item ) , see to defences and military capacity ( including traps , siege defence equipment, training ), landscape the surroundings and often need to use or divert local water sources ... issalongagame :p.
I remember that game! It's by far the most complicated thing I've ever seen. But the graphics are a major turn-off for your average gamer. Also, the learning curve for DF is insane. The game is ludicrously complex and just figuring out how to start is difficult.

But yeah there are some pretty cool structures in that game. I also believe we had a "Let's Play: Dwarf Fortress" A while back where the dwarves were named after people on the forums.

As for 0x10C I'm really excited for it, I love space games and I'm excited to see what people do with this computer (also I'm going to have to learn to program a little better)

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Huh well as a programmer that looks like the number 268 represented in hex.
In computing prefixing a number with "0x" usually means that whatever follows is in hexadecimal.

So 0x10c could be read as 268 in decimal, not that that makes any more sense, but that's the first thing I think when I see it.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Wait!
Figured it out (maybe)

Its actually read 0x10^c
Which if we assume is hex equals 16^12 which is 281,474,976,710,656.
You'll notice that this is (relatively) close to the year the game is set in: 281,474,976,712,644 AD.

So my guess is that it has something to do with the timeline.

EDIT for clarity:

"0x" means the following number is in hexadecimal representation
"10" in hex = 16 in decimal
"c" = appears to be an exponent; c in hex = 12 in decimal