(NSFW) Assassin's Creed: Unisexity

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Okay, so this happened! But let's not look at it on its face; let's analyze it.

A rep got questioned on why there wasn't a female character available for play. He didn't say "Because we don't care" or "because it wasn't important." He went through the trouble of coming up with a lie (we know probably for certain at this point due to internal statements to the contrary) that made Ubisoft sound progressive, but buckled down by the constraints of time.

Now, fibbing wasn't a particularly great strategy, but at the very least we can draw the conclusion that Ubisoft would be uncomfortable being viewed as hostile to more female inclusion. So I'm thinking the most logical thing to conclude at this point is that the higher-ups in charge of the actual creative vision were either unaware of what their teams could accomplish (unlikely, but it happens), or they were just negligent in following through on this kind of thing.

So, not necessarily sexist. Just lazy and a little incompetent/dishonest.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
w00tage said:
1. Ubisoft was in complete control of this new games' production from start to finish. Therefore, everything wrong with the game in the eyes of their consumers is completely their fault, and those consumers are completely in the right to hold them accountable for it. If they mismanaged the production of the game so that they couldn't deliver promised features, that is explicitly their fault and they as a whole company are liable for it. Welcome to business.
It absolutely is their fault. But assigning fault is meaningless if there is no ramifications to their actions. People have complained at length about lots of things in Assassin's Creed (to say nothing about other titles the company produced). When people then go on to buy millions of copies the next time around those complaints are hollow and meaningless. Ubisoft exists to make money. Complaining and then buying the game does not punish or affect them. If what Ubisoft does isn't egregious enough to undermine their sales to a great or obvious extent, no whining or moaning will alter their strategy.

w00tage said:
2. Everyone can tell you what they want at any time. It's explicitly the job of someone who is offering goods or services to people to understand what their consumers want and to deliver it. Welcome to business.
People can tell you what they want, yes. But, in general, all a consumer will be able to tell you is they want the last thing they liked but more so. People did not know they wanted a phone from Apple until Apple made a phone. People did not know they wanted Mass Effect until Bioware made Mass Effect.

w00tage said:
3. Misogyny in the form of sexploitation and second-class citizenry is an official games-industry thing. Welcome to the unholy union of Hollywood and the games industry.
It isn't official in the slightest. It is common and very nearly ubiquitious but that doesn't make it official. That would require actual stated policies from major companies to that end. What this means is that there is an underlying cause for this treatment and I don't have an easy explanation for why. I tend to believe it comes from the perception that men buy more games than women (which for certain genres is absolutely the case) which means games tend to be made for men. Simultaneously, most developers are male. Thus you have games made by men and for men and with such a narrow aim and perspective it is reasonable to assume you'll end up treating a huge segment of humanity poorly.

w00tage said:
4. Ubisoft, knowing all of the above, promised a playable female main character. Welcome to making promises that hit hot-button issues and raise the hopes of your fans. Edit: and welcome to the fallout when you dump on a promise that is routinely delivered by other companies in the same industry because "it would be too hard / cost too much".
Lots of games make lots of promises and then they fail to deliver. That is part of the development process and ultimately the realities of business made Ubisoft think it was not going to be cost effective. If you want that reality to change, then you merely need to convince a few million people to not buy the game while simultaneously maintaining a consistent message regarding why (In this case, broken promise of a female protagonist).

This isn't acting as an apologist; this is pragmatism. Ubisoft will respond to profits and losses. They will not respond to complaining unless those complaints affect profits in a meaningful way.

w00tage said:
5. Your personal opinion (or mine) on how difficult / not difficult it is to deliver that feature is completely irrelevant, as is your and my opinion on what quality levels would be accepted by the consumer base. The fact that other game studios routinely deliver playable female main characters, and those games sell, belies any claims that Ubisoft "couldn't do it for reasons of resources" or that "it wouldn't be good enough".
It isn't that it is difficult. Ubisoft has the resources to make it happen without question. The question ultimately was if the cost of adding that feature was going to result in a larger net profit. Ubisoft determined it would not.

That is what they mean when they said it would be hard. Not that it is impossible but that adding the feature to their satisfaction would cost them more money than it would bring in.

w00tage said:
6. Re how many copies will be sold anyways, what's the historical return rate on software by dissatisfied consumers? O wait, this is a protected industry, consumer protection laws don't apply to software buyers. Therefore companies can sell complete shite all day long and use "caveat emptor" as a fig leaf for fraud. And game companies can partner with monopolistic console developers and create vast legions of captive audiences for their content, because monopoly.
Yes and while you message that companies have unfair protection is valid it dismisses the point you try and make. A game sold is a game sold. How that affects game trades, however, is a different story.

w00tage said:
You're right, a lot of copies will doubtless be sold, based on the marketing and recognition of the franchise. But let's not pretend the consumer will have, or ever has had under these monopolies, any real choice. If they want the game console to work, they have to buy games for it. Unless there's a playable demo version involved, the decision on what game to buy is not based on perceived value, it's based on promised value. And software consumers cannot return products after purchase even if they have been outright defrauded.
You are mistaken. Consumers absolutely do have a choice. There are tens of thousands of games out there and thanks to their status as a non-essential good a consumer can absolutely choose to not buy it. Voting with you wallet is ultimately within your power and trying to argue that you can't is foolish. Neither you nor I will suffer if we don't buy a particular game. Our lives will go on without incident. I regularly choose to not buy games because they don't have a feature I want or, more commonly, include features I don't. That's why I don't buy Ubisoft games - Uplay is garbage that directly undermines my ability to enjoy a game thanks to it's habit of regularly booting me from a game in progress without warning or offering even a chance to save.

w00tage said:
7. Re your "real world example", I have to ask, did no one ever tell you that spinning the whole equation around to play net-profit games is a great way to reduce your gross sales and therefore your gross and net profits? You cannot assume your sales numbers will stay the same when the product has changed. And if Ubisoft guessed wrong on what features would be important to their anticipated consumer base, is that not totally their fault?
That is why companies regularly produce the same game again and again. Or they add features that were proven in different games. And why they focus group their games to a remarkable extent. That's why Call of Duty has been more or less the same game every year since 2007. That's why Mass Effect 2 is so very different from the first. That's why you only see new IP from large companies as relatively small scale and cheap projects and even then they are only common when established brands begin to flag in sales. Rewarding a company for consistently doing something you don't like buy purchasing their games does you no favors and to act as though you must make this decision blind is absolutely false. Within 24 hours of a game being released you will have dozens of reviews of a game from professionals and thousands of perspectives of individual users. You also have historical trends that you could easily observe. Battlefield has consistently had launch problems since the 360 and the chances are very high that Hardline will likewise have the same problem. Ubisoft has often used DRM that undermines you ability to play on PC and thus I can simply assume that the next title they push out the door will as well.

Beyond that you point is false from the start. Companies may not be able to perfectly predict how a game will sell but they damn sure have a pretty good idea what something is going to cost. And Ubisoft could not conceive of a way adding female playable characters would increase sales enough to improve net profits. Yes, that is a failure on Ubisoft's part. If you can get a few hundred thousand people to not buy the game and then tell Ubisoft that they refused because of a lack of female characters then you will have given them substantial evidence of what they stood to gain by adding that feature. Right now, they'd only be guessing and this is an industry that, as you have pointed out, routinely assumes women don't sell games.

w00tage said:
Good try on the whole deconstruction thing, but some of us are successful because we listen to what people want, deliver as much as we can, and are completely open about what we can and can't do throughout the entire process. Companies which don't do this imo need to go the way of the dinosaurs to make room for companies that will.
Again, your argument is only valid when it starts to affect the bottom line in a way that Ubisoft cannot ignore. This back and forth on the subject doesn't mean anything unless you can convince someone to not buy the latest assassin's creed game.

But, I tell you what. I was never going to buy the game. If you can find a good place to send a complaint to at Ubisoft let me know. I will write to complain to them and I will include the lack of female playable characters as a reason I won't buy the game. Because even though I disagree regarding the why this problem happens, I absolutely agree that it is a problem. I tried checking but sadly wasn't able to find any corporate contact that didn't involve making an international phone call. I have sadly run out of time to look into the subject due to the length of the response.

The bottom line, though, is this. When I say that Ubisoft exists to make money, it is not as a defense for Ubisoft - it is a fundamental reality of the relationship between consumer and producer and short of complete social and economic revolution that isn't going to change. By recognizing the purpose of the entity which tells us both why they do what they do and what we need to do to change it. If Ubisoft isn't convinced they can make money on female characters, then it falls to us to prove to them that they will lose money but not including them.

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
Elberik said:
Drake666 said:
byte4554 said:
For the love of...It's one guy. ONE GUY. THERE IS NO FEMALE CHOICE BECAUSE IT'S ONE CHARACTER! ADDING A FEMALE PLAYER CHARACTER WOULD MEAN ADDING A SECOND PROTAGONIST.

Sorry. It's just that every thread and every single comic and every single video ignores this fact. It's not that they hate women, it's that they didn't want a second protagonist.
Hum. You know that in AC: Unity, there is 4 players, right?

*EDIT* Or at least a 4 player mode. *EDIT*
Each of the 4 players perceives themselves as the main character. The other 3 are just guys wearing different cloaks.
Oh.

That seems kinda sad/boring/stupid. Meh.

I didn't read enough on this, it would seems.

Aug 31, 2011
Eclectic Dreck said:
Read Shamus' post on this very subject as it would make more or less the same argument I will. To put it simply, the female character would require lots of work or else it would be a poor implementation that would look and feel like it was tacked on. They opted to not spend the resources to do it properly or at all and, again, without being able to understand how they would benefit from the move (i.e., what the impact on the bottom line would be) what argument is there?

They are ultimately, like any large corporation, motivated by profit. It is easy to make a case for DLC but difficult to argue that they ought to add a feature that serves no function nor has any tangible benefit on the bottom line. That, fundamentally, is the problem: being inclusive to all races and genders and sexual identities is difficult to attach a price tag to and thus arguing for inclusiveness is to fight an uphill battle.
'Inclusiveness' implies that most people, or even most gamers, happen to be male and white. They don't. It's specifically exclusiveness that people like me are arguing against, along with the idea that male and white is or should be the default, go-to character. The day you see this same argument on a game that only allows you to play as a (non-sexualized, non-boob-jiggling) female is the day when you know the industry has changed. As in, you know, never.

As for being tangible to the bottom line, that's the point of me not buying it. If I'm going to argue against the inherent dickbaggery of what the industry does on a regular basis, then I've got to be willing to back it up with my wallet (or lack thereof). You wanna be exclusively male and white in the vast majority of your games, including one with a clear opportunity for a little less sameyness, then do it. But you lose my business as a result.

Nevermind that the company line, as many here on this thread have argued, stinks of excuses rather than legit reasons. As does your defense of it. After all, they very well could have gone with an all-female character team and did not. (And let's be real honest here, if they had gone with another female main character, at least one, if not all three, assassins in co-op would've been male.)

Wizardly-K9

Apr 19, 2014
Legion said:
A valid point, but nobody is forcing them to make the games yearly.
Uh... Yes, there are. They're called "publishers." They give developers funding to make games, and give them a deadline for when they want it released.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Wizardly-K9 said:
Legion said:
Uh... Yes, there are. They're called "publishers." They give developers funding to make games, and give them a deadline for when they want it released.
Ubisoft are both the developer and publisher of Assassins Creed. So that would not apply in this case.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Legion said:
Wizardly-K9 said:
Legion said:
Ubisoft are both the developer and publisher of Assassins Creed. So that would not apply in this case.
It's their investors, stock holders, and pretty much anyone wearing a suit that has fuck-all knowledge about games. CEOs make their developers crank out yearly releases because to them, it somehow has become the only way to stay viable business-wise and likable by anyone willing to give them money.

Apr 24, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
PirateRose said:
This is the funniest, completely irrational, random rant I've read in a long time.
Considering you've yet to even address my earlier post issued towards you, I'm going to assume this is just your attempt at looking smug without actually countering anything. Bravo. Mission accomplished.

88chaz88 said:
All aboard the crazy train, woo woo!

Ubisoft haven't confirmed any strong female NPCs, so why would we assume they have? Your argument was basically "Isn't a strong female NPC enough?" and yet we don't even know that they've even done that yet. You'd have thought that if there were any strong female NPCs in the game Ubisoft would be announcing them considering the backlash they've gotten.

I rarely engage with you Escapist wackos, consider yourself privileged.
snip
Can't quote Chaz since his post got mod attention.

"We recognise the valid concern around diversity in video game narrative. Assassin's Creed is developed by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs and we hope this attention to diversity is reflected in the settings of our games and our characters. Assassin's Creed Unity is focused on the story of the lead character, Arno. Whether playing by yourself or with the co-op Shared Experiences, you the gamer will always be playing as Arno, complete with his broad range of gear and skill sets that will make you feel unique. With regard to diversity in our playable Assassins, we've featured Aveline, Connor, Adewale and Altair in Assassin's Creed games and we continue to look at showcasing diverse characters. We look forward to introducing you to some of the strong female characters in Assassin's Creed Unity,"

They actually did say there would be strong female characters in AC Unity. We don't know how apt their claim is yet. But if we're talking about what they actually have and haven't said. They actually did say there would be. It's part of the official statement they made that was posted on every low-quality gaming site that is prospering from pushing this as click-bait.

Static Jak

Mar 15, 2011
I haven't been a fan of how the media has been treating this whole thing.

A lot of "sexism" accusations being flung around, Kotaku just taking shots at Ubisoft and ignoring Ubis actual official statement that makes it all feel like a huge overreaction that the media can just jump all over.

Ubisoft came out with a official statement saying that when you play the game with friends, no matter what, you play as the main character.

So everyone is Arno but to you the other players just have different skins. And the same for them. The animations and so on are the same.

They're making it sound like AC has always just been about controlling white guys.
To be clear here:

AC1 - Syrian or Levantine or maybe even a vague middle eastern since borders in the area back then seemed to change regularly.

AC2 - Italian

AC3 - Native American trained by a black assassin.

AC4 - British (Welsh)

AC4 - Black ex slave

AC Liberation - Black Female

But Unity decides to have a white french male and suddenly the devs are sexist and racist.

Ubi Montreal have been one of the dev teams out there that doesn't seem bothered about the religion, sex or race of the character, as long as it suits the game they're making.

Ryebread

Apr 16, 2009
Minus whatever strong female (non-playable) characters they'll have in AC Unity, minus whatever statements Ubisoft have made regarding why they couldn't/wouldn't include female PCs, is no-one going to make the Mario connection?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii

Remember back when this game came out and players learned that they could be the Hero, the Hero's Brother, Mushroom Peasant #1, or Mushroom Peasant #2? The last two are palette swaps! Players constantly joked about no one wanting to play as generic background characters. They might as well have thrown Wario/Waluigi-recolours in there, and this game STILL outnumbers AC Unity in terms of unique Playable Characters.

Mario + Luigi + Toad > Arno (different clothes don't count, they're all still Arno clones with presumably the same voice)

And how about comparing this to the MMO Marvel Heroes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Heroes_(video_game)

There, it's a frequent occurrence for you to pick your favourite hero like the Hulk or Iron Man, and then to wander into three other (if not a whole room's worth) identical heroes who made the same choice as you. Doesn't that get laughably surreal? Isn't the immersion-breaking sensation of 4 Assassin clones endlessly repeating the same voice clips something that the Assassin's Creed series (which has developed a reputation for fantastic atmosphere and design) wants to avoid?

Sexual Harassment Panda said:
"Assassin's Creed is developed by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs and we hope this attention to diversity is reflected in the settings of our games and our characters."
To digress a little, wow. Is anyone else getting the impression of "PR Suit who barely talked to the people who made the game"?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Static Jak said:
But Unity decides to have a white french male and suddenly the devs are sexist and racist.
According to who?

Ryebread said:
To digress a little, wow. Is anyone else getting the impression of "PR Suit who barely talked to the people who made the game"?
Considering they put that up in the first game, and how "touchy" the subjects were, they probably had some ties to the game.

Ryebread

Apr 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ryebread said:
Considering they put that up in the first game, and how "touchy" the subjects were, they probably had some ties to the game.
Oh I don't mean that this is some outsourced PR grunt. Although I would argue that this guy has some ties to the game in the same way that the CEO of EB Games has some ties to the guy behind a EB Games register. Ubisoft is a big company, I know that, we know that. But the language of that statement feels like a copy-paste all-audiences answer straight from the PR textbooks and delivered to stockholders, and with all the emotional connection of a black-and-white payslip.

We know and understand that this is a natural effect of when game companies become huge million-dollar productions, but is this something we want to see? Why can't PR have better communication with the game design team?

Static Jak

Mar 15, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Static Jak said:
According to who?
Far too many commentators over the last few days. Between reddit (especially users who've barely picked up a game in their life) and kotaku, its been a mess. Doesn't help when you there's posts with headlines like "Ubisoft won't talk to us about women" and then was a few paragraphs that were basically ranting. Funny enough, I can't find that post anymore so either I've just missed it or they took it down.

Oh, and Tumblir. But when isn't Tumblir whining about something or exaggerating?