NX. IT'S HABBENING!!!!!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well, the NX had my interest, and now the Switch has my attention.

Assuming it isn't total bullshot, that looks pretty slick. And the using solid state media instead of discs could lead to some interesting results.

EDIT: It has a "game images not final" disclosure, but not a "screen images are simulated" disclosure. That makes me hopeful.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The little mobile detachable controllers look pretty awful. I can barely play on a 3DS XL for over an hour without my hands cramping up. The optional pro controller looks better than the Wii U pro controller, at least layout wise.

I dunno, I personally feel this just has more appeal to Japan where mobile gaming is very big. I have literally 0 frequent use cases for taking my game with me. I guess it would be nice over the holidays when i'm staying out of town or something.

Things I'm curious about:

1) Wii U compatibility? It didn't look like it had a disc drive anywhere but tons of the games they showed were Wii U titles. I think it only has cartridges - which is cool - but I am absolutely not re-buying my Wii U library again, at full price, within like 2 years of obtaining it. If this is the case, I really don't think a launch library with games that already exist is really very appealing at all. Especially Skyrim. How have you not played Skyrim yet? The game is near 5 years old.

2) Hardware specs? Does it run better in the dock than it does standalone or does the handheld have all the computation horsepower? If not, that means games will have to downscale or run worse on the handheld than they would in the dock.

3) Battery life? The Wii U game pad I actually like, but it dies in like 3.5 hours which is truly terrible. If this thing is really playing heavy 3D titles I'm very concerned for how long you'll be playing on a park bench before you have to charge it.

4) Touch screen? Nintendo seems to love their touch screens, but no one was touching this. I don't really care either way, just curious.

5) End of the 3DS era? Seems like the idea for this is to just merge the handheld and console divisions so they can focus on one unit. An incredible gamble, but I'm very interested to see what happens.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I like the concept. I really like it even. However there are 2 things that is going to determin if this is a sucess or not.

A) Battery life for the handheld mode. Anything less than 6-8 hours will make this flop. If it's anything like the 3 hour WiiU tablet forget about it.

B) Games.We need games, lots of it. This is the worst part of the nintendo systems of the past decade. UNLESS you were one of those players who likes every genre avaliable, there wasn't that many games for people who liked specific genres to justify the purchase or their console.

Fix those two problems. And it may actually fly off the shelves.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
altnameJag said:
Well, the NX had my interest, and now the Switch has my attention.

Assuming it isn't total bullshot, that looks pretty slick.
I wasn't particularly interested in the console at first, but seeing something like a new Mario game in the like of Wii U's Mario World signals me that I'll very likely become an early adapter.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Switch? It's a better name that the Wii-U anyway.

"Behave, or you'll get a whoopin' from the Nintendo Switch!"

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
The cringe inducing E-sports bit. Nintendo won't even let people play their games on youtube and now they're supposedly going to play catch up to the rest of the industry with this mobile tablet thing? Yeah right.
Eh, about the e-sports thing, that's actually a reference to the Splatoon Kenshin tournaments they've been holding in Japan. They actually support a full league and have 2 major tournaments complete with holographic "live" concerts of the Splatoon sisters. They actually do decently too with large multi-day events dedicated to them, large live and online (for Nico Nico anyway) audiences, and high production values. So the e-sports thing with Splatoon actually is appropriate.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Im not leaving the house with that. Like seriously, portable should kind of mean fits in pocket safely, and that doesnt look like it does at all.

And Im still not convinced they arent setting up to start selling mobile games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Saelune said:
Im not leaving the house with that. Like seriously, portable should kind of mean fits in pocket safely, and that doesnt look like it does at all.
Who knows, maybe they'll sell little cases for you to carry it around in. Makes sense from a business perspective.
McMarbles said:
Was that perchance open-world Mario I spied?
Could be, but I reckon it was just something they threw together for the reveal trailer just to show Mario running on their system.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:
Who knows, maybe they'll sell little cases for you to carry it around in. Makes sense from a business perspective.
McMarbles said:
Was that perchance open-world Mario I spied?
Could be, but I reckon it was just something they threw together for the reveal trailer just to show Mario running on their system.
I just want to have a gaming device I can simply stick in my pocket without worry. Hell, The GBA was a bit too much even. The 3DS XL was also a monster I hate, and annoys me that they dont just sell separate new 3DS's here.

Also I really am curious what their intentions are between this, the Wii U and the 3DS. Is it supposed to replace both? Is it not?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'm happy it's socially acceptable for me to carry a purse. The thing has been a godsend for my handheld game systems. Though I think more guys could benefit from usage of a backpack, you can only do so much with cargo pants.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Saelune said:
At least They're giving us the option, it's not like I would take my home console with me anyway. Skyrim and Mario on the go? Somebody is gonna do it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Igor-Rowan said:
Saelune said:
At least They're giving us the option, it's not like I would take my home console with me anyway. Skyrim and Mario on the go? Somebody is gonna do it.
If this is supposed to replace the 3DS, seems like a removal of options.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Looks better than the Wii U, but the part where half a dozen people are excitedly hunching over a 5" screen is maybe a bit too much.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
JUMBO PALACE said:
Advertising your brand new console with old games like Splatoon and Skyrim... seems in line with Nintendo logic.
that Skyrim was actually the Special edition version that's also coming to PS4 and Xbox One as well, it should at least be 1080p 60fps just based off of that fact.

as for First Party games. those Mario Kart, 3D Mario and Splatoon games they showed were clearly new entries in those series or at the VERY LEAST enhanced ports with added content from the Wii U games.

3D Mario looked to have better graphics and different levels, Mario Kart clearly showed King Boo and the ability to hold Multiple items again (neither of which was in Mario Kart 8), and Splatoon showed new weapons, hairstyles and clothing which weren't in the Wii U version.

In the very few seconds that we saw all those titles, there was definitely content there, that wasn't on the Wii U.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Saelune said:
I just want to have a gaming device I can simply stick in my pocket without worry. Hell, The GBA was a bit too much even. The 3DS XL was also a monster I hate, and annoys me that they dont just sell separate new 3DS's here.

Also I really am curious what their intentions are between this, the Wii U and the 3DS. Is it supposed to replace both? Is it not?
Nintendo has already turned a blind eye to the Wii-U, so I'm certain that thing is dead as a doornail once this new system comes out. I don't know about the 3DS, I'm not too familiar with that system. If Nintendo's smart they'd make 3DS games compatible for this new Switch, to maybe ease that audience in. From the looks of it the Switch will work with cartridges too so who knows.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:

Nintendo has already turned a blind eye to the Wii-U, so I'm certain that thing is dead as a doornail once this new system comes out. I don't know about the 3DS, I'm not too familiar with that system. If Nintendo's smart they'd make 3DS games compatible for this new Switch, to maybe ease that audience in. From the looks of it the Switch will work with cartridges too so who knows.
3DS games on our tvs looks god awful. they already look awful in youtube videos.

3DS games don't need to be backwards compatible with the switch imo, however what the Nintendo Switch means is that 3DS was their last handheld only system.

stuff like Pokemon has already been confirmed by the Pokemon company that they will make games or NX so now we can finall get ourselves a proper Home Console Pokemon RPG that everyone has been wanting, and now developers don't need to spend time working on games for 2 different systems. just one now :D

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:

Id rather replace my Wii U than my 3DS. Though does it have -any- backwards compatibility? Cause otherwise my Wii U is still very much needed.

Honestly, this reveal answered very few of my actual questions.