NX. IT'S HABBENING!!!!!

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
From Soft is supporting the Switch apparently and I'd like to see an updated Demon's Souls on the switch rather than a switch-specific Dark Souls 3 with some stuff new that winds up being all we Nintendo purchasers get.
That won't happen, Demon Soul and Bloodborne's rights for that matter belongs to Sony. And they sure as fuck won't let a competitor have the IPs.
So, yeah, best case scenario we get Dark Souls 3, Armored Core 6 and their new IP into the NX.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Aiddon said:
it's not very technical; flash memory is leaving optical discs in the dust in terms of memory size. A 64 flash card is typically around 30 bucks. Tops. And keep in mind the game cards for Nintendo are read-only so they might be a tad cheaper. And with flash memory price decreasing on a yearly basis it wouldn't be hard to keep costs down.
Just checked: Mario Kart 8 was under 5 Gb. 8 Gb cards can be bought retail for $5.

What I want to know: can I transfer my Wii U games to such an SD card or do I have to buy them again.

Lot of questions but I'm impressed.

Will it replace the 3DS? Dunno. But I want one.

EDIT: PS: PS Vita that came close to playing PS3 quality games came out in 2011. Going on 6 years ago. Imagine what they can fit in a device around that size now?

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Gorfias said:
EDIT: PS: PS Vita that came close to playing PS3 quality games came out in 2011. Going on 6 years ago. Imagine what they can fit in a device around that size now?
Eh not really, PS vita had resolution 960 x 544 and games while they looked impressive they where not really close to PS3 level AND both the uncharted and Killzone (2 most impressive looking games on the system) had framerate issues. Yes you CAN put baller portable chip in your device but the cost will be high indeed. That's why smartphone flagmans cost ~1000$ unlocked. Heat management and battery life is also big factor in mobile gaming, you can't really put active cooling into that tablet thing they showed off.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
The Wii U controller can't reach neither my bathroom nor my bed. I like the concept but that is its biggest flaw. This however seems perfect!

As for the performance capabilities... well I got my PC for that so who cares, I just need something fun to play for half an hour a day to unwind and it seems like Nintendo still got me covered. Will I get one? You bet I will.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I wonder how well fabricated the dual plugin controller dongles are. They don't look like they have a lot of mass to them, and I'd dread something like the Retron 5's chincy excuse for a controller.

I mean, it's Nintendo, and they don't do "poor build quality", but I worry.

Ezekiel said:
Also... Great, it's the PS1 controller again... I'm so tired of that layout.
Are you criticizing the One True Controller design, the holy Dual Shock? /s

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Arina Love said:
Eh not really, PS vita had resolution 960 x 544 and games while they looked impressive they where not really close to PS3 level AND both the uncharted and Killzone (2 most impressive looking games on the system) had framerate issues. Yes you CAN put baller portable chip in your device but the cost will be high indeed. That's why smartphone flagmans cost ~1000$ unlocked. Heat management and battery life is also big factor in mobile gaming, you can't really put active cooling into that tablet thing they showed off.
It was certainly in a different league from the DS. I'm thinking if they could do this 6 years ago, I'm thinking they can come close to Wii U power now.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Gorfias said:
Arina Love said:
It was certainly in a different league from the DS. I'm thinking if they could do this 6 years ago, I'm thinking they can come close to Wii U power now.
Yeah they could but it's a new console general public will expect it to be better than the last console. WiiU was little bit more powerful than ps3, 360 and the support for this level of power form 3rd party is pretty much over. Destiny dropping support, FFXIV dropping support etc. So to have a good level of 3rd party support Nintendo will need to do MUCH more than just little bit more powerful than WiiU. People were saying- "naah WiiU doesn't need 3rd party support it will be popular just off the first party stuff." Well it all turned in to a disaster. AND you can't count on Japanese to push sales ether, they all addicted to smartphone gacha games now.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Aiddon said:
Yoshi178 said:
i'm not a tech wizz so i won't comment on how it can be done as i could easily be wrong about all the technical stuff.

all i know is that in the trailer we see the guy insert a game card into the Switch before sitting down with that girl and in this picture next to the audio jack, there's a slot that clearly says Game Card

it's not very technical; flash memory is leaving optical discs in the dust in terms of memory size. A 64 flash card is typically around 30 bucks. Tops. And keep in mind the game cards for Nintendo are read-only so they might be a tad cheaper. And with flash memory price decreasing on a yearly basis it wouldn't be hard to keep costs down.
As true as this is, it still means backwards compatibility is gone as neither the tablet nor the docking bay have a disc drive on them.

BC has always been a staple of why Nintendo is so great to many of it's fans, it'll be interesting to see how the fanboys can suddenly shrug away the fact it's now missing.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Shoggoth2588 said:
Drathnoxis said:
Switch? It's a better name that the Wii-U anyway.

"Behave, or you'll get a whoopin' from the Nintendo Switch!"
"Maybe it'll beat you...Maybe you'll beat it. Nintendo Switch"
Oh, that's brilliant! Nintendo should use that! I bet if it was the 90s they would.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Saelune said:
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:
Im not leaving the house with that. Like seriously, portable should kind of mean fits in pocket safely, and that doesnt look like it does at all.
Who knows, maybe they'll sell little cases for you to carry it around in. Makes sense from a business perspective.
McMarbles said:
Was that perchance open-world Mario I spied?
Could be, but I reckon it was just something they threw together for the reveal trailer just to show Mario running on their system.
I just want to have a gaming device I can simply stick in my pocket without worry. Hell, The GBA was a bit too much even. The 3DS XL was also a monster I hate, and annoys me that they dont just sell separate new 3DS's here.

Also I really am curious what their intentions are between this, the Wii U and the 3DS. Is it supposed to replace both? Is it not?
Depends on how successful it is. We all know the story of the DS not replacing the Game Boy product line and then it did. If Switch is successful it will replace both otherwise I see them putting out a new dedicated handheld in a year or two.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
What I like:

- Game cards and not discs (no required installs, I have always been a fan of cartridges over discs)
- Headphone Jack (it's sad that this should be a pro but here we are)
- Transitions to a handheld with no fuss
- No limit on how far away you can move (unlike the Gamepad, I can't even play that in my bathroom)
- It's not remote play and that means no internet connection required and it really can be played anywhere (don't try while taking a bath)
- From what I can see, Nintendo did not try to make a weak PC like their competitors. I appreciate that.

What I seek answers about:

- It looks like it's either on TV or off TV, no dual screen play?
- Can you plug the tablet in while playing it? Can you charge it without putting in the dock?
- Battery life?
- Backward Compatibility, Wii U and/or 3DS?

What I dislike:

- Nothing at the moment

EDIT:

New answers:

- No dual screen play. The entire console is inside the tablet therefore when the tablet is detached, it can't output to the TV and when it's docked, you can't play on the tablet.

- The Switch is not backward compatible with Wii U discs or 3DS cards. It isn't clear if it will be be backward compatible with digital copies but due to both the Wii U and the 3DS being dual screen devices and the Switch being a single screen device, I would say no to digital BC.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, all this time we were asking what happened "next," but then they "switched" the name? ;p

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Gekidami said:
BC has always been a staple of why Nintendo is so great to many of it's fans, it'll be interesting to see how the fanboys can suddenly shrug away the fact it's now missing.
Wii was the first Nintendo console to have BC. They have had it on their handhelds regularly but you are talking about console BC here and it has not always been a staple.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
DudeistBelieve said:
Aiddon said:
And it's officially called the Nintendo Switch. And it is indeed a console-handheld hybrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI
I like it. Makes way more sense as a console than Sony and Microsoft making shitty versions of PCs.
Handheld market hasn't exactly been thriving in the age of cell phones though.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
hanselthecaretaker said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Aiddon said:
And it's officially called the Nintendo Switch. And it is indeed a console-handheld hybrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI
I like it. Makes way more sense as a console than Sony and Microsoft making shitty versions of PCs.
3DS has held it's own.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
hanselthecaretaker said:
And there it lies the irony with the Vita, it was built so it could be more than a gaming platform, yet it's the gaming part that keeps it from sinking completely.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm not certain what to think. It looks like a case of innovation actually bringing something interesting to the table and not just gimmicks, but I'm concerned by the battery life of that thing and how powerful it can potentially be. Granted if I were to buy it it would probably be mainly for nintendo games, so it doesn't need to be stupidly powerful, but a good third party support would be kind of needed to help it sell.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
erttheking said:
I'm not certain what to think. It looks like a case of innovation actually bringing something interesting to the table
Now if you read my post (#72) you will see that I like the Switch more than not. In fact, I don't have any dislikes currently but how is this innovative?

This is a handheld with a TV port. The PSP did this and even if you don't like the PSP example, this is still just a tablet with a TV dock. What's innovative here?

Let me put it another way. What if you never hooked the dock up the TV and used this exclusively as a handheld device, how is it any different than other handhelds or tablets (with a bluetooth controller)? I like it but it's not innovative.