NYT Rejects Comic About #Yesallwomen

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Wow. What an utterly awful comic. I've seen half-assed, teen-run, stick-figure, web comics done in MS-paint with far better art and writing.

It looks like the author went to the School of Seth Macfarlane/Family Guy Comedy.

Their motto is:
"There's no joke funny enough that it can't be ruined by dragging out the punchline."

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
All generalizations have truth behind them.

Or maybe I am the only one who has worked in an office full of man babies who sound just like the comic and I can relate to it more then some.

Should they have posted it? No but it would have not been the worst thing they have published if they did.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Is this supposed to be funny? Or thought provoking? Or just plain insulting? because it's none of that, it's just plain stupid to me. Nothing else.

Yea, someone wanted to ride the wave of that sociopath's shooting and they are not the only one. Problem is, when you publish in public newspaper with at least a shred of dignity you can't post just anything.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Zero subtlety and strawmanning.

Remember folks - if you want to use "satire" as your argument, these two tips are invaluable.

VenerableMonk27

Nov 12, 2009
I'm glad that the Escapist is starting to report on topics like this. I'm always for a more inclusive community (gaming and otherwise), and it's important to point out the people and orgs that stand in the way of said inclusivity. Whether or not you subjectively appreciate the art style or amount of wit contained in the comic isn't really the issue here. Presumably, the NYT gave these guys the bi-weekly slot for political cartoons because they generally like the art and humor. The issue (as Lincoln already pointed out in his article) is that the NYT editor thought the subject matter of the comic strip was too controversial.

I don't want to put words in the writer's mouth here, but being funny probably wasn't the main concern with this comic. Pointing out absurdity is probably a more accurate description. I see a lot of people in the comments crying "strawman argument" and that's pretty absurd too. If you spend any time reading the comments under women's articles, you know that each panel in the strip is practically a direct quote from said comment pages, the only changes being words like "rattle" to fit with the gimmick of the strip. No one can honestly argue that this type of harrassment doesn't exist. But the existence of such harassment is not the absurdity the strip is pointing out.

The part of the whole #YesAllWomen controversy that confuses me the most is the same phenomena that the strip is focussed on. #YesAllWomen was coined to point out that, sure, not all men go around harassing women, but yes, all women have or will experience some form of harassment based on their gender. #YesAllWomen is used by women as a tool to tell a quick story about their personal experience with harassment/assault/rape and let other women that have been hurt know that they're not alone. The true absurdity of the backlash against #YesAllWomen is that the men crying foul are doing so with the exact kind of harassment and threats of violence that the Twitter campaign is seeking to point out. If you need proof that #YesAllWomen is an honest assessment of society, just look at the reaction comments to #YesAllWomen.

To take the absurdity even further, a portion of the men participating in the backlash are literally claiming that they feel oppressed by women using #YesAllWomen to tell their stories. I'll break it down. Women are sharing personal experiences where they were oppressed by men due to their gender. Some men get upset about this, and react with more oppressive language and threats of violence. These same men then claim that they feel oppressed by the women who are "unfairly" pointing out both the original oppression and the secondary backlash oppression intended to silence the women who were originally oppressed.

How confusing is that? What took me four paragraphs to explain was summarised in only eight panels in the strip above. The only downside I see to explaining it with an absurdist comic is that the writer assumes that you already know about the backlash against #YesAllWomen and will recognize the language as nearly identical to that used by the men involved. Given the typical readership of the NYT, that's probably not a bad assumption. There was probably coverage of the story in the same issue where the comic strip would have appeared.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that supporting women that are outspoken about sexual harassment, assault, and rape is not a controversial stance to take. As a corrolary, it's also not controversial to come out against men that harass women and complain about being "oppressed" by women who just want to share their stories. I'm with Lincoln when he posits that the NYT was likely just avoiding a deluge of angry hate mail from "oppressed" men.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I come into these threads, read the article then go on and read a bunch of posts and start to think of something smart or insightful to write.

And then.. i breathe out. And all this nonsense becomes what it is: Insignificant.
Seriously, if people really do not have anything better to do than this, i'm way better of than i thought.

I'm amazed though how many people can gather so much energy to care about this. That stuff like this has become everyday news, everyday problems and everday "scandals".
It's pathetic.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I am deeply offended by that comic!!

Not only do I think that I could draw it better using MS Paint, I think it could be written better by an average 10 year old.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I'm confused if this is supposed to be a parody of MRAs or a satirical depiction of how feminists view non-feminists. It's so over the top that the latter almost seems the more likely.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
VenerableMonk27 said:
I see a lot of people in the comments crying "strawman argument" and that's pretty absurd too. If you spend any time reading the comments under women's articles, you know that each panel in the strip is practically a direct quote from said comment pages, the only changes being words like "rattle" to fit with the gimmick of the strip.
The fact that they are direct quotes doesn't mean that they can't be used as part of a strawman argument. The definition of a strawman as an argumentative technique is when you claim to have defeated an opponent's proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar but different proposition.

The #YesAllWomen episode has seen endless strawman tactics from all sides: men saying there's nothing vaguely sexist about the attack because he also killed women, women arguing that the claim he's mentally ill proves we live in a rape culture, the MRA chiming in with irrelevant facts about violence against men, etc etc.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
The Rogue Wolf said:
It's a poor attempt at making a good point
Yeah, it's about as witty as repeating what the other person said in a mocking high voice with a hyper exaggerated face and flailing T-rex arms. You may have a better point but you still look ridiculous by comparison.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
"We need to discuss this more" "This is a topic worthy of discussion" "People like this are getting in the way of having a meaningful discussion!"

Again with the fucking discussion. How long has feminism existed? About a century, give or take, through three waves. How long has the MHRM existed? About as long, with ebs and flows (though it should be noted the actual movement hasn't really rallied under one name until recently. Until then, they were mostly disparate groups, like pro bachelor clubs, or fathers rights groups.)

What have we accomplished? A whole lot of talk, and not a lot of headway.

All any side has done is ***** at each other, myself included. Point is, the debate of gender equality has been going on for over a hundred years; women can vote and get abortions, the draft has fallen so out of favor as to be political suicide to implement, what the fuck else is there? How much more talking do we need before the slacktivists get off their asses and do something about the issues the care oh so much about? All these gender debates strike me as complete masturbation. And like masturbation it feels good, for while at least. But all things fade, and jerking it will eventually lose it's luster.

As for the comic itself, what else is there to say that hasn't been said already; it looks and reads like it was made by a goddamned five year old. Complete with a utterly juvenile read of the whole fiasco. I'd make a hypocrisy/projection joke, but you already know the punchline.

The nihilist in me wants to say that any social movement is pointless because social change is by it's very nature temporary. Egalitarianism is a fruitless endeavor because you're just going to end up oppressing someone else. We are all just lumps of organic matter, sitting on a mud ball hurtling through space, so insignificant on the cosmic scale as to be completely nonexistent. (The rest would be me having a nervous breakdown, but I doubt anyone came to a comment section to hear about my philosophical views.)

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Seems about on par with any political cartoon, to be honest. They're pretty awful in general, because the skill floor for it is so low. Can you draw? No? Can you depict someone holding a bag of money? You've got the job. Oh wait, it's not a job, so you didn't have to be hired for it in the first place.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
*sighs*

Person loses their shit and goes on murder spree.
Feminists take offence to overblown ideal of women, feel it is an ideal majority of men hold.
Start #yesallwomen campaign.
MRA take offence to overblown ideal of men, feel it is an ideal majority of women hold
Make fun of #yesallwomen
Feminists make fun of MRA.
MRA make fun of Feminists.
Victims of mass murder forgotten.

Profit?

*shakes my head*

My problem with #yesallwomen, is that as a male I get generalized as having the same outlook as the guy who murdered people. Luckily I'm in possession of a full set of brain cells and see that #yesallwomen is a way for women to voice things they haven't had a chance to, despite the fact that it's

a)jumping on the bandwagon of a mass murder.
b)a ham handed way of getting an important message across.

However this comic? Seriously? Setting up anyone who has an issue with #yesallwomen despite any actually important issues they may have as whiney children? Way to marginalize and silence any criticism.

The worst thing is; this is a standard tactic used by everyone these days.

What. the. fuck?

I feel for the families of those murdered. They have my condolences.

EDIT: Apparently the order is wrong.. apparently is started with #notallmen a movement for regular guys to say that they don't see sex as an entitlement nor women as objects in response to some guy losing his shit and killing people with that fucked up ideal in mind. But somehow instead of women saying "Yes we understand, this guy was an abnormality not par for the course" we get "but all women have to put up with violence" *sighs* how the fuck does it not come off as women trying to generalize men as violent assholes like that tardwit that MURDERED a bunch of people?

I honestly got the internet wrong on this one. I thought this was dudes getting uppity about women telling them their stories. Not women denying men the chance to be something other then monsters..

Good work there on the equality feminists. Way to go.

/wrists