NYT Rejects Comic About #Yesallwomen

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
So, I'm sure this isn't what it's meant to be, but is the comic genuinely saying men shouldn't be upset at being compared to that sociopathic egomaniac who killed a bunch of people and hated other men for their relation to women and women for BEING women?

Because pretty much everyone will agree that being horrible to people is wrong.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:
So, I'm sure this isn't what it's meant to be, but is the comic genuinely saying men shouldn't be upset at being compared to that sociopathic egomaniac who killed a bunch of people and hated other men for their relation to women and women for BEING women?
which is what a lot of MRA's had a problem with, but like the feminists they find as adversaries they pretty much did the same thing; ignoring the overall point in favour of how it affected them.

[quote/]Because pretty much everyone will agree that being horrible to people is wrong.[/quote]

You figure people would get this point. But most can't see past their own agendas.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Deadcyde said:
My problem with #yesallwomen, is that as a male I get generalized as having the same outlook as the guy who murdered people.
Wait, how is that?

Saying that all women have faced issues like these is not the same thing as saying that all men do it.

I for example know many men who would not do it, but have also been sexually harassed (for daring to walk on a street or for using a bus for example) by totally different men. Not even getting into stuff I get for being a lesbian, because some men automatically take it to mean I hate them personally.

Men totally face sexism and issues too. But it is pretty annoying when you can't discuss issues women face without (some) men making it all about them.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Putting aside the whole thing about it being a poorly drawn comic that's just "MEN ARE BIG BABIES THAT GO POOPOO WEEWEE IN THEIR DIAPERS" (and trust me, that's a pretty big thing to just glance over but it looks like you all got it covered) can the new york times even publish a comic with the word "rape" in it? Isn't using that outside of a purely clinical/journalistic context a taboo? Because this might just be a phantom standard of quality and it actually got rejected because it used a nono word.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Lieju said:
Deadcyde said:
My problem with #yesallwomen, is that as a male I get generalized as having the same outlook as the guy who murdered people.
Wait, how is that?

Saying that all women have faced issues like these is not the same thing as saying that all men do it.

I for example know many men who would not do it, but have also been sexually harassed (for daring to walk on a street or for using a bus for example) by totally different men. Not even getting into stuff I get for being a lesbian, because some men automatically take it to mean I hate them personally.

Men totally face sexism and issues too. But it is pretty annoying when you can't discuss issues women face without (some) men making it all about them.
Here's an example

"#YesAllWomen because if you're too nice to them you're "leading them on" & if you're too rude you risk violence. Either way you're a *****."

Who is them? Who do you risk violence from? Yes I'm asking this facetiously, but the point is it pretty clearly defines an "us and them" idealism which is simple generalization.

Not only that, this is on the back of a guy so out of touch with reality he thought murder was a reasonable response to being told no. And you wonder why any self respecting man would want to distance them self from such an ideal.

then there's this:

"An exasperated woman remarked to me, ?What do they want ? a cookie for not hitting, raping, or threatening women??.."

Of course not. But not to be generalized with the minority perpetrating these horrendous acts is apparently too much to ask.

"Women are afraid of being raped and murdered all the time and sometimes that?s more important to talk about than protecting male comfort levels."

Agreed, but by that same token you demand all men take responsibility for something very few of them have perpetrated. How the fuck is that fair? It's not but apparently that doesn't matter because if you were born with a penis you have to suffer with the burden of the crimes of others with a penis.

I mean it's not like feminists answer for other feminists that say things like "I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig." (-- Andrea Dworkin) or start groups like the one known as SCUM (Society For Cutting Up Men, started by Valerie Solanas)

Imagine that, having to take responsibility for things that you aren't responsible for? Couldn't possibly piss someone off.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
To the editors' credit, the comic looks and reads pretty dumb.
Yeah, these are my thoughts.

The thing just looks terrible.
Even though I may not totally disagree with the message, there are more subtle and classier ways to get your point across. I cringed reading it.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
King Whurdler said:
Arawn said:
The comic itself isn't horrible. Yes, artistically one could complain, but that's hardly the point. I think they refused to post the comic due to the replies more than anything else. It's just like that Critical Miss comic about Evangelion (sp) or the WGDF. People were enraged. Even if the author/writer makes a valid point it's lose behind the presentation. Calling those that oppose whiny babies is hardly a way to start any civilized discussion. Not that one could expect one when pertaining to this subject. I can't say how it could have been done better. I'm sure the paper saw the possible fallout and figured it wasn't worth it.
I guess it's good then that those Critical Miss strips in particular weren't trying to start a discussion. They were meant to antagonize, and antagonize they did.

OT: You know, as bad as I personally think this comic is, I can't exactly blame the creator for thinking it was New York Times appropriate. For fucks sake, they're willing to showcase the editorial cartoons of fucking Glenn McCoy!

Still wanna talk to me about straw-man arguments?
Well that throws my theory out the window. If they posted such comics so easily there's little excuse for not posting that one. The subjects of those two examples are even more "sensitive" than the one for the first comic. I'm positive there was string of mail on either of those just by looking. So it begs the question; why did they really reject it?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Oh God, what the hell is that?!

Regardless of the message, the quality of the comic itself is just awful. Why the hell am I working a dreary retail job when I could just wipe my ass on MSPaint once a day and make a career out of it?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Mahorfeus said:
Egh. Terrible artwork aside (which may or may not be intentional), I can see why this got rejected. It's not clever, it's not witty, and it tackles the issue with all the grace of an elephant. Never mind that it is an issue I really don't think even needs to be addressed in a periodical.
How DARE you for suggesting a comic isn't a victim because a newspaper wouldn't print it!

#YesAllComics

#NotAllNewspapers

#PleaseMakeItStop

RatherDull said:
Where has our society gone...what happened to the good old fashioned social norms...

We need a hero...no...we need three...we need a defense force...for white guys!
Oh please god no, we don't need another thread like those...

KingDragonlord

Jul 22, 2012
SKBPinkie said:
Zero subtlety and strawmanning.

Remember folks - if you want to use "satire" as your argument, these two tips are invaluable.
Its actually so bad that it works better as a straw man of feminists, if this wasn't really written by feminists.

In fact, I'd enjoy seeing this awful comic be deemed "controversial" and having people call it "the comic no one dared to publish." So that eventually some news paper will actually publish the thing saying that its "daring" and "edgy" and that it has "resonated with so many on the internet."

Lets do this.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
MCerberus said:
The entire situation is a recursive monster of endless straw arguments. This comic is about average for that.
For more information on this subject, just wait for this thread to fill.
True words. I feel that people now a days actually think the straw man argument is a legitimate debate strategy, which is helping to make todays politics even more toxic and anti-discussion.

"I know I'm right and you're wrong" seems to be the slogan for todays "discussions"