Obesity Discrimination

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
As far as discrimination goes, you shouldn't be overtly hostile to obese people, but at the same time, you shouldn't be bending over backwards to accommodate them. I hear a lot about how obese people are the victim of some medical disorder which is the root of all their obesity. There is likely some truth to that for many people, but the key word is SOME truth. The rest of the truth is likely poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle. Thus, I will be sympathetic to the obese to an extent, but only to the extent that they accept what they are.

People who complain that the obese have to buy two seats on airplanes are correct in that this is discrimination, but the important fact is that the obese should be discriminated against on certain matters due to the unavoidable fact that they weigh more and take up more space. Modern aircraft are not constructed in a manner that can provide for the reasonable accommodation and comfort of the obese and those next to them because companies are best served by accommodating the vast majority instead of the handful of outliers. These realities might make life difficult for the obese, but they have allowed themselves to get to the point where these difficulties apply to them

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Eh...depends. There are those with a condition, or whose finances necessitate an unhealthy diet (because it is far more expensive to have a really healthy diet, at least here in the U.S.), but there is a point at which such things stop being accountable. Some people are just naturally bigger than others--but their whole body is built for it. Others use a small amount of weight as a crux, and continue doing so until they have no other recourse but to continue using it as an excuse.

Personally, I'm not afraid of a little weight on someone. I kind of prefer it, having long since been saddled with the notion that a little on the hips and thighs means that person is better off than those around them (an old notion, but hey), they're more resilient to various things, and, honestly, even more attractive to me than their thinner friends.

But, again, there's a difference between a person who's frame and lifestyle can support being a bit bigger, but there is definitely a point of letting yourself go. If you tired from walking about a Wal-Mart and need to get a little cart, then you've gone too far. If you're 90 lbs and wondering if you should eat a piece of cake because it will "destroy your body", then by all means eat the damn cake. Just don't eat the whole cake in one go.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
WORDS!:

At one point I was 100lbs overweight - clearly in the 'obese' category. I have lost 73lbs so far. I am still trying to lose the rest, but it's slow-goings during the last leg of the journey. I may get there, I may not; but I wont stop trying. I had a hard time moving around, walking down the street was winding; as embarrassing as that is to admit to anyone. You can imagine where my confidence was. Hint: The Shitter. Now, I just feel awesome, and overall it's the best decision I ever made - though I still struggle with it. I had an easier time quitting smoking and drinking (of which I also had a problem).

I struggle with it because I used food to self-medicate. Eating became a compulsion I couldn't seem to handle and I actually had to relearn self-control and I used a strict vegan/fruitarian diet to do so. Why a vegan/fruitarian diet? You pretty much just end up saying 'NO' to anything you enjoyed before and learn to enjoy the healthier foods that you may not have even known existed before, without salts, over-seasonings, dressings, or grease. It's quite an eye-opener. I had stopped this diet in favor of a vegetarian diet, but I actually miss my vegan/fruitarian diet and plan to go back. I am not promoting this diet, or saying everyone should get on it; it's a personal choice after listening to my body and how it feels.

I understand that people aren't all going to be the same, and we aren't all going to look like Hollywood-Land clones. We have different heights, body structures,diets, and overall health issues; but the point is to try and live a healthy, active life-style (moderation is key) despite your illnesses and personal mental reservations; and your body will respond to it, whether you actually lose weight, or just feel better in the long-run.

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
RazadaMk2 said:
Xiroh86 said:
So these two great women that I know started this YouTube channel called Fat Whores, but promoting their channel is not the point of this thread.

First off, I think think this is the right section of the forums to post this, but I could be wrong. If I am I apologize.

Now to the meat of this thread.

Like I said, I am not here to flat-out promote their channel, but they did just recently post a video in regards to a new HBO documentary series "The Weight of the Nation," and the way this country views obesity in a discriminating light.

I'll post a link and the bottom of this thread, but I wanted to know what other Escapists think.

Do you think that people, or the country in general, discriminate against those who are "obese"?

Here's th like to the video. The audio quality isn't great at all, but they are just starting out, so cut them a little slack for that.

http://youtu.be/LoXsC-NO5zw
I think that Obese people are being discriminated against. As are smokers, Alcoholics and Junkies. All are lifestyle choices that damage your life.

In short?

Discrimination against those who choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle is totally fine. You are not saying THEY are shit people. Just that THEY are making shit choices.

I dont ***** if I see an anti-smoking add (Which reminds me, are those just getting rarer in Britain?) or about the fact that I cannot smoke indoors.

Obese (Not fat. You stated OBESE.) people are like smokers. They are living an unhealthy lifestyle. They choose to live that lifestyle. They should be judged, like anyone else, for the lifestyle that they are choosing to live.

EDIT: Quick not to anyone claiming metabolism/biological reasons.

True, some people have slower metabolisms due to the nature of their genetics. Its fucking rare but it does happen. If you do not take exercise, your metabolism slows down. Go for a run every day, it begins to speed back up again.

Within the UK discrimination against fat people is ok in my eyes. Fat parents bring up fat kids. Fat parents and fat kids have to go to hospital when their knees fail, they end up with diabetes or their heart pressure goes insane. This costs all taxpayers money. Their lifestyle indirectly damages the lifestyles of others.

But whoever brought up the point that its not just about being thin, its about being fit? This would apply to overweight people. Not obese people. There is a difference.

I am just as willing to tell a fat person to get some exercise as I am to tell an anorexic to eat a fucking sandwich.

My excuse? At my fattest I weighed literally double what I weighed at my thinnest. I have been at both ends of the spectrum, stupid fat boy who would do nothing AND stupidly thin boy who almost ended up in hospital. Now I am a healthy man, bar the smoking.

If you choose to do something which will harm you you cannot turn around and claim the world is being mean if people POINT OUT THAT YOU ARE KILLING YOURSELF.
You make valid points, and for the most part you were very civil (minus that end thing), and for that I thank you. I can tell you that one of the ladies in the video is bigger due to a thyroid problem, and even though she exercises and eats very healthy, she sees to not gain or lose any significant amount of weight, so in excluding those with biological and metabolic issues, shows a understanding of the situation.

Now, and this is partially my fault, but you, and almost everyone on the planet thinks "obese" = 'morbidly obese." This is not the case however. Obese is just the technical term for someone who is overweight. It is based on the BMI (Body Mass Index) which is based on height and age range. Interestingly enough, based on BMI (which is the standard, at least in the US) most professional athletes are obese.

I would like to hear you opinion on that, and thank you for responding at all.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
hulksmashley said:
It's not nice to discriminate against anyone for any reason.

Obesity is just another stupid reason people judge one another. Like people who judge smokers, or christians, or atheists, or immigrants, or women, or gays. This list goes on and on and on.
Can I discriminate for smart reasons?

Like, I hate being poisoned by second hand smoking, or Christians who push their views into politics and force minorities to obey the majority, like the "two wolves and a sheep that took a vote to decide what to eat for dinner".

ToastiestZombie said:
IndomitableSam said:
#

You can't be born fat, you can be born so that you need to do more exercise to get thin. But you can't be born fat, and stay like that. Also, those surgeries cost thousands of dollars, so people don't pick on other people for not having them because of course they can't afford it. Let me ask you something, how much is it to go for a run? How much is it to go to the local park and do some exercise? How much is it to do about fifty push ups each day to keep fit. If you awnsered nothing, then you are correct. They may not be able to afford healthy food, but they can definetly afford to do exercise. I just hate it when I see people going "Stop making fun of me for my weight, it's who I am!" when all they are doing is trying to justify having a lifestyle that will kill them early. There is no reason why a person can't do exercise (unless of course they are disabled) so why should we let fat people get off it because we don't want to hurt their feelings? Also, if you become fat enough you become disabled you deserve everything that you get, you aren't unlucky or a victim of anything. You brought it upon yourself by not exercising and eating fast food every day of the week when you could easily afford to make your own nice and healthy meals.
Where's that "fat baby that has been gaining weight since he was 3 months old" article..

Oh, here we go.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368790/Lu-Hao-Chinese-toddler-3-weighs-staggering-132lbs-hes-growing.html

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
hulksmashley said:

Obesity is just another stupid reason people judge one another. Like people who judge smokers, or christians, or atheists, or immigrants, or women, or gays. This list goes on and on and on.
You can't choose to be gay or a woman. You can choose to be a smoker, christian or fat person. Immigration's a whole different deal.

OT: My thoughts are basically, you can discriminate against them until they stop being lazy and do some exercise. Example: You can discriminate if a fat person is eating at Mcdonalds for the fifth time that week, but if they're at a gym or running then you should encourage them.
Not to downplay your latter half, seeing as you mad a valid point, and I can't say I disagree with you, hell if the healthy person on the planet refused to play a game of basketball, and I can get off my own personal fat ass to play, he can shove it for making fun of me, but that's not what this response is to.

I have an acquaintance that literally can/does eat McDonalds 1-3 times a day...on average. He would be considered a healthy person viewed from the outside, and from what I understand he has relatively good cholesterol levels. Knowing that he eats so much fast food, would that change you opinion of his health, and would you treat him differently. I would like to hear you thoughts on this. And thank you for responding to the thread to begin with.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Discrimination can occur for any number of reasons. Yes, obesity is one of them - but so is being underweight.

Personally, I try not to judge too much. While some individuals may be classified as obese because of a lack of self control (or through laziness), others may be obese because of reasons beyond their control (i.e. as a side effect of another condition).

At the end of the day, their weight is their 'problem', not mine.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Abedeus said:
hulksmashley said:

Like, I hate being poisoned by second hand smoking, or Christians who push their views into politics and force minorities to obey the majority, like the "two wolves and a sheep that took a vote to decide what to eat for dinner".

ToastiestZombie said:
IndomitableSam said:
#

You can't be born fat, you can be born so that you need to do more exercise to get thin. But you can't be born fat, and stay like that. Also, those surgeries cost thousands of dollars, so people don't pick on other people for not having them because of course they can't afford it. Let me ask you something, how much is it to go for a run? How much is it to go to the local park and do some exercise? How much is it to do about fifty push ups each day to keep fit. If you awnsered nothing, then you are correct. They may not be able to afford healthy food, but they can definetly afford to do exercise. I just hate it when I see people going "Stop making fun of me for my weight, it's who I am!" when all they are doing is trying to justify having a lifestyle that will kill them early. There is no reason why a person can't do exercise (unless of course they are disabled) so why should we let fat people get off it because we don't want to hurt their feelings? Also, if you become fat enough you become disabled you deserve everything that you get, you aren't unlucky or a victim of anything. You brought it upon yourself by not exercising and eating fast food every day of the week when you could easily afford to make your own nice and healthy meals.
Where's that "fat baby that has been gaining weight since he was 3 months old" article..

Oh, here we go.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368790/Lu-Hao-Chinese-toddler-3-weighs-staggering-132lbs-hes-growing.html
Oh, you proved me wrong. Guess I'm wrong at this point but still. That condition seems to be a VERY VERY rare condition. The people I'm talking about here are the sorts of people who become fat, and try to find an excuse for it. You can't "catch" being fat if you're a healthy baby, you might have a worse metabolism but that never excuses having a bad diet and not doing exercise. If you actually do exercise and eat healthy, yet stay fat then I have my deepest sympathy for you. But if you don't do those things and try to blame your fatness on some sort of internal condition, then you are just a pathetic person who can't be bothered to do something to fix their problems. Basically my views are:

If you aren't medically diagnosed as a person not able to become healthy (if it's because of fatness it doesn't count) then you're just making excuses for not doing exercise and eating badly.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
If your life costs taxpayer's money because of your size needs, your health costs the public healthcare service even more money and you're basically giving profit to the brands making processed foods I think that discrimination is bound to happen.

It's like being handicapped because you chose to. That screws with my mind, because handicapped people generally didn't have a choice. When someone has a choice and prefers to retain a partial disability because they can't be assed to change - society has to pay for something that was your fault, while money is also needed elsewhere.

Xiroh86 said:
Knowing that he eats so much fast food, would that change you opinion of his health, and would you treat him differently. I would like to hear you thoughts on this. And thank you for responding to the thread to begin with.
His irresponsibility isn't costing me money, even though he's giving profit to McDonald's.

Seriously, one thing is being 26 and being fat but willing to change your situation, another is being 45-50 and having an heart attack because you were careless your whole adulthood.

Xiroh86 said:
Now to the meat of this thread.
AH!

Abedeus said:
I feel so bad for laughing, but he looks like Snorlax.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
You know, yes, people do discriminate against obesity but maybe it's not such a bad thing. Not a good thing either but hear me out.

Obesity and being overweight are two different things. Being "overweight" may just come from having a naturally larger than average body and it can just be a few pounds or so that makes you classed as that. It's not a bad thing and if you're happy with your body like that then go ahead. Obesity on the other hand is made by an unhealthy lifestyle.

I don't want to have to pay more in taxes so somebody who has ate a Big Mac everyday for ten years can get heart surgery on the NHS. If somebody is really making themselves that unhealthy through their own lifestyle, I don't see why I should be supporting their health care.

If there's the social stigma that obesity is bad and ugly, it might appeal to someone's vanity to not become like that or if they are already, change it. Anything that promotes a healthy lifestyle is fine with me.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Abedeus said:
hulksmashley said:

ToastiestZombie said:
IndomitableSam said:
#

Oh, here we go.

Oh, you proved me wrong. Guess I'm wrong at this point but still. That condition seems to be a VERY VERY rare condition. The people I'm talking about here are the sorts of people who become fat, and try to find an excuse for it. You can't "catch" being fat if you're a healthy baby, you might have a worse metabolism but that never excuses having a bad diet and not doing exercise. If you actually do exercise and eat healthy, yet stay fat then I have my deepest sympathy for you. But if you don't do those things and try to blame your fatness on some sort of internal condition, then you are just a pathetic person who can't be bothered to do something to fix their problems. Basically my views are:

If you aren't medically diagnosed as a person not able to become healthy (if it's because of fatness it doesn't count) then you're just making excuses for not doing exercise and eating badly.
I know of at least two families that can eat like pigs, smoke and don't exercise, but everyone is slim as hell.

If Bell's Curve is real (and usually is), the opposite is true for people with stunted or extremely slow metabolism that require few times more exercise to even stay at same weight, much less lose it.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Abedeus said:
Yeah I once saw a show where they got a bunch of skinny people, made them eat a LOT of food. Only about 3 of the 10 people gained weight, and even then not much. Same goes for some fat people, but the difference is that from my knowledge there can't really be anything that can stop fat being burnt away by exercise, or less fat coming in. You may have to do a bit more exercise if you have a bad metabolism. But if you complain about being discriminated against when you aren't doing the right amount of exercise for your metabolism then you're just a massive twat.

Brian Conmy

Feb 18, 2010
Over a month ago I stood on the scales and was actually disgusted with the weight I was at, 'll admit it was 241 pounds. 'm only 5'10, that's a ridiculous weight. Since then with basic diet and exercise 'm already down to 224lbs and am not gonna stop till I hit a weight 'm happy with. This was my choice but even in the limited time 've been losing weight I notice I already judge people based on their shopping baskets in grocery stores. It's involuntary and I don't like judging people but it's hard when you see someone massively overweight with a basket full of pizzas and white bread.

I don't think it's right to discriminate based on weight but the obesity epidemic is increasing healthcare costs at a time when money is tight for everyone. When a few people's choice (not everyone who's overweight is in control of it and I don't wanna discriminate against those people) affects the rest of us then... Maybe we can positively discriminate? Get health insurance cost decreases for people in healthy weight ranges or something. Just a thought

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Discriminating based on the cosmetic appearance of people = bad

Denying an obese person something for reasons of actual importance regarding physical limitations/capabilities = pretty okay.

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
Hey, I know a chick that had some glad worked on in her body and she put on like 80lbs in 2 months. I talking from a size 4-5 to a size 14 quick! I didn't reconginse her tbh when I first saw her. Then in my head I was like "DAMN!"

But yea she has been working it down, because she used to run and work out all the time. I am chubby, have been the past 5 years.

I can't stand the horribly obese people, they make excuses and complain and breathe heavily and smell bad.. blegh.. I hates it

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
I think they probably deserve it to an extent. Discrimination isn't a bad or a wrong thing necessarily, when you choose the juicy strawberry over the one covered in mold, or the better qualified job candidate over the rubbish one, that is discrimination. Equally, fat people, for the most part, aren't innocent victims of whatever, they're active participants in their own costly health problems. People tell smokers off and ban them from buildings, etc., and what they do is no worse than being monstrously fat. In the UK, diabetes, a weight related disease, is in danger of bankrupting the NHS and being obese costs more to the taxpayer than almost anything else health-related. It is not something that only affects you. Besides, no one should be proud or happy to be fat because it is not a good way to be. All they're doing is costing other people money and killing themselves, and anything we can do to try and stop them is good: whether it be discriminating against them or anything else.

Unless its a matter of cosmetic appearance. That's bad because the way they look isn't what matters, it's the health implications that are the important thing.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Xiroh86 said:
So these two great women that I know started this YouTube channel called Fat Whores,
Perfect name if the feeling they wish to elicit is a deep desire to kick them down a never ending flight of stairs... On fire... And littered with broken glass...

Aaaand I made it 2 minutes into the video before I decided I'd rather jam fists full of rusty nails in my mouth and chew hard. They're boring to hear and ugly to see. So, that's "Game over" on that one.

Instead I'll comment on the subject of "discrimination" of obese people: The word is overused and misunderstood.

First things first, being fat is, in 99.9% of cases, NOT like being gay, or black, or anything else of the sort. You aren't born fat. You get fat because you continuously scarf down more calories than you burn. It's not magic. You don't choose to be gay. You do choose to be fat.

Conversely, being gay, or black, or other such "things people discriminate against" carries absolutely no negatives to the person. If you are gay the only thing you suffer from is people being douchebags. Being fat DOES come with serious health implications. So no only is it a choice, it's a choice that fucks you up.

THAT said: It's your own life, live it as you wish. If what you want out of life is to eat hamburgers till you become an avatar of lard, go right ahead. That's your problem. Just don't ***** about it.

No, it's not generally considered to be pretty. Some people love it, most people don't. You don't get to complain about not being considered attractive. No, it's not discrimination anymore than someone not being attracted to blonds, or finding a specific shape of vagina unattractive. It just so happens that the majority dislikes obesity. Don't like it? Stop being fat. Don't care? Then don't *****.

"IS IT BECAUSE I'M FAT!" Yes. I also don't like heavily pierced women..........DISCRIMINATION!!!!!11one.

Oh, and if you ever complain about being forced to pay for 2 tickets because you take up 2 fucking seats you deserve to be punched repeatedly in the face till you're gushing that marmelade-like substance you have instead of blood. "BUT IT'S DISCRIMINATION!!!" Hey dumbfuck, how many seats are you occupying? Two. That's how many you're paying for. Sounds about right. I pay for 1 seat because I occupy ONE fucking seat. If I wanted to lay down across three sits the entire ride I'd have to pay for those too. It's not my fault, or the airline's/train company's/etc... that you ate your way into requiring twice the space a normal person does. Deal with it.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it's ok to harass fat people because they're fat. If you're happy being fat, then be as fat as you fucking like! If that's how you enjoy life, nobody should try to take that away from you. What I'm saying is that the crushing majority of complaints I hear about "DISCRIMINATION AGAINST OBESE PEOPLE!" is usually just obese people bitching about stupid shit. "Oh naaaaaaay... I can't get a boyfriend easily because I look like the Michellan Man impregnated a donut dunked in mayonnaise!". Deal with it.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Well, being fat IS bad. Whether it's a side effect of a disease or other.
That's another thing. FATNESS is NOT a DISEASE. It may be a SIDE EFFECT, but not a DISEASE itself. Just like being under weight isn't.