Obsidian accused of transmisogyny in Pillars of Eternity

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
kael013 said:
The Lunatic said:
kael013 said:
Yet it may be relevant to their partner. There are several things I find irrelevant: political affiliation, skin color, religion, etc. Yet many people do care about that stuff when it comes to sexual and romantic partners. Being upfront at the start means less conflicts down the road.
Oh, don't you know? Given I'm homosexual, it's up to every girl who shows interest in me to ask if I'm gay rather than up to me to tell them.
What? No, it's up to you to tell them you're homosexual before it gets too out of hand. If an interested woman has doubts about certain things about you (gender, orientation, etc.), [i/]then[/i] it's up to her to ask instead of relying on you to read her mind.
EDIT: <color=red>If you're being sarcastic, sorry, but when I'm in debate mode I don't register sarcasm easily and, well, it's nigh impossible for text to convey it.

[quote/]Withholding information that may affect consent basically makes such consent invalid.

I'm not sure why this is such a difficult notion for people to get their head about, but, that's simply how it is.

"It's not physically hurting anyone" is not a valid defence.
^This. This is exactly what I've been saying.[/quote]

I'm not sure there's much doubt about that.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
I spent the weekend at a friend's birthday party telling his ridiculous family members what a bunch of idiots they are for supporting the Indiana Freedom of Religion Bill over the weekend. But, as a guy, while I can completely get how a transgendered individual might be upset at that poem I am conflicted, because I know that a big, deep part of the acceptance problem transgendered people face is that straight men and women are often deeply disturbed by the thought of an individual who faces gender identity issues, and moreso if they are seeking corrective surgery to fix the problem. So part of me says, "sure, that poem isn't actually part of the game, so it's not representing any internal story element or bit, and therefore doesn't really serve much purpose." Another part of me says, "it's funny because there's an uncomfortable truth hidden behind it." But that truth is not about transgendered women tricking men, but about the discomfort (and and sometimes outright transphobia) that I would bet a fair majority of straight men and women feel when thinking on the subject. Not least of which is because there does seem to be a fundamental psychological disconnect between those who have dealt with gender identity issues (they're indellibly wrapped up in the very essence of what it means to be one thing physically but to feel like something else mentally) and the way a straight gender-aligned person feels about it (which is that the notion of being on thing while feeling another way is almost inconceivable and deeply disconcerting).

So I guess what I'm saying is I'll be buying and playing Pillars of Eternity, and I wouldn't object if Obsidian removed that poem since it serves no real purpose. However, the real problem with the poem is much deeper than just mischaracterizing transgendered people; it's expressing a fear among the majority cisgender population that isn't readily going to go away anytime soon, and the question of whether humor can help lighten the load of such worries or not is an entirely different issue.....but in the interim this lymeric serves no real purpose (within the context of the game) so why keep it?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
OT: Some idiot gets offended at something that has no real bearing on their life (or really shouldn't), goes onto Twitter to make a big stink about it, drags all related conversation into the mud with them.

Yet another SJW rain dance
Calling for a great shitstorm
To whine over naught

BloatedGuppy said:
I mean, you could use the poem as a conversation piece for a discussion about trans-panic, which is a real thing and kind of terrible for transgendered people, but we don't DO discussions here. We just yell about social media and demonstrate our disdain for "social justice" by talking about it every fucking second of every fucking day.

Pillars of Eternity gaming topic? Couldn't even stay on the front page. Pillars of Eternity drama topic? 5 pages and counting. Woop. Carry on, warriors.

If anyone wants to talk about the GAME I'm down for that. That's what everyone wanted, right? Less "politics", more games talk? WHOOPS, my eyes rolled right out of my head.
^This guy. Biggest voice of reason in the thread.

While there's a time and place for discussing the social-political stuff behind games, the degree of emphasis they receive is stunning; nay, smothering. A game that doesn't have some sort of outrage attached to it is barely worthy of discussion at all now.

I stopped trying to create topics in Game Discussion for that reason, and why I virtually stopped visiting Game Discussion entirely. There's no fucking point because threads dry up almost immediately as is, but it's even worse when some Hugbox zealot goes after a given game because that's where ALL the discussion will filter into.

"Oh, you wanted to discuss Bayonetta 2? Too bad, because Sarkeesian whined about it on Twitter."

I'm honestly finding more legitimate conversations about video games on STEAM COMMUNITIES AND WIKIAS now than the Game Discussion forums here.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
So, going back to the incest example (yeah, I'm bringing incest into a debate about trangenderism, fucking sue me).

Let's say there's Bob and Alice, both siblings. Bob has no sexual interest in Alice, but she does not know this for sure. In fact, she knows nothing about his opinions on the matter, only assumptions based on the fact that people wouldn't be okay with it. Alice on the other hand, has an interest in Bob.
One day, Alice disguises herself as another woman, seduces him, and proceeds to have kinky sex with her brother Bob. They use protection (so there is no chance of inbreeding) and neither of them has any STIs. They both enjoy it, until afterward, when Bob finds out what has happened.

Just like in the trans examples, no physical harm has come to Bob, only emotional distress.

So, it was Bobs fault? Should Bob have asked every single woman he intended to bed "hey, you're not my sister in disguise, right?" (ruining his chance with whatever woman he is talking to in the process)
Or, was it fine to assume not, since the other option is a rare occurrence?
Alice didn't know he would be upset over it, but it could be assumed by the fact that the majority of people (argumentum ad populum! Argumentum ad populum!) would have a problem with being deceive in this manner.

Would the morality here change if Bob never found out?

What exactly is the difference here from Bob's perspective, aside from the fact that your sibling pulling this kind of shit is even rarer? If so, why can the line be drawn at "asking every single person if they are related to you before sex is stupid, since it's so uncommon" and not "asking every single person if they are transgender before sex is stupid, since it's so uncommon"?

Sep 13, 2009
Redryhno said:
Being involved with a trans person means you are involved with both sides of the gender/sex/whatever the correct wording is gap. At least that's how I'm seeing it, I mean, outside of like two trans individuals on the internet, I haven't really been able to ask questions without them getting offended that I have a mindset that's got alot of ignorance in it, so I don't know a huge amount. Doesn't really help the pursuit of understanding/knowledge/etc when the subject is so easily offended and distrustful of being asked questions that they claim only they can answer.

I don't claim to understand much of it beyond a primal level, but it just doesn't help much when you're not allowed to ask questions or question reasonings.
From all the people I've talked to, a lot of it comes from just getting accustomed to hostility for it. Doesn't help when there really isn't that much (accurate) information going around about trans people, and a large portion of the information you do see floating around comes from people complaining about them. Simply because there's a lot more people who think that transsexuality is a joke ("Oh look! I'm mentally a pony! See, I can do it too") than there are actual trans people. And it's way easier to mock someone you don't understand than to actually understand them.

In any case, there's a lot of people on this site who could answer questions you have, and from what I've seen in any of the threads dedicated to that, they have been pretty damn tolerant and understanding even in the face of some really tactless comments. Even just skimming some threads in the past might help you out if you wanted more information. Seriously, from all my time here there's some very nice people on this site if you're sincere in wanting to know more

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
FirstNameLastName said:
So, going back to the incest example (yeah, I'm bringing incest into a debate about trangenderism, fucking sue me).

Let's say there's Bob and Alice, both siblings. Bob has no sexual interest in Alice, but she does not know this for sure. In fact, she knows nothing about his opinions on the matter, only assumptions based on the fact that people wouldn't be okay with it. Alice on the other hand, has an interest in Bob.
One day, Alice disguises herself as another woman, seduces him, and proceeds to have kinky sex with her brother Bob. They use protection (so there is no chance of inbreeding) and neither of them has any STIs. They both enjoy it, until afterward, when Bob finds out what has happened.

Just like in the trans examples, no physical harm has come to Bob, only emotional distress.

So, it was Bobs fault? Should Bob have asked every single woman he intended to bed "hey, you're not my sister in disguise, right?" (ruining his chance with whatever woman he is talking to in the process)
Alice didn't know he would be upset over it, but it could be assumed by the fact that the majority of people (argumentum ad populum! Argumentum ad populum!) would have a problem with being deceive in this manner.

What exactly is the difference here from Bob's perspective, aside from the fact that your sibling pulling this kind of shit is even rarer? If so, why can the line be drawn at "asking every single person if they are related to you before sex is stupid, since it's so uncommon" and not "asking every single person if they are transgender before sex is stupid, since it's so uncommon"?
Not applicable. A trans-woman isn't a guy pretending to be a woman to have sex with men, while Alice is pretending to be someone else to sleep with Bob.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
The poem is kinda gross. Casual jokes like that add up, you know.
If it served some sorta purpose, if it went towards characterising some relevant aspect of the world... but, no, it's just a dumb gag.
Hee hee, trans people exist, how hilarious is that?

More importantly, it reinforces the idea of trans folk as manipulators, men hiding amongst "normal" women or vice versa, waiting to ensnare an innocent, unsuspecting partner.

People are all having the argument about whether or not it's moral to hide the fact that you're trans before sex, but that's the fucking point- trans people don't need random wacky jokes interspersed through media that paint them as tricksters out to con people.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
altnameJag said:
FirstNameLastName said:

Not applicable. A trans-woman isn't a guy pretending to be a woman to have sex with men, while Alice is pretending to be someone else to sleep with Bob.
It's not about whether or not trans-women are pretending. It's about whether or not Bob is partially (or fully) to blame for this, since he failed to inquire.

If it isn't his responsibility (even though he is the one who has a problem with it), then why is it the responsibility for cis people who do not wish to sleep with trans people to ask the question?

Both Alice, and trans people, have knowledge that could completely change their sexual partner's opinion and consent, and although neither of them can be certain of the opinions of others, there is plenty of reason to suspect that their partner would be distraught to find out.

Sep 13, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:

First thought: You might have been better to have steered away from the "Dressing up as something you're not to deceive an unsuspecting innocent" direction with this analogy

Second thought: I swear, I have seen this hentai

The analogy is really flawed though, for one, transgender people aren't dressing up like the gender they identify with to trick people. A better analogy would be two siblings separated at birth, one of whom realized that they were siblings at some point but neglected to tell the other.

Even then, it'd still be a flawed analogy because there is no stigma or blowback on Alice if she informs Bob they're siblings, the detail isn't something personal to her that could easily skew others perception of her. Alice only loses sex in this analogy, where it can have a lot more lasting effect and substantial effect on a transgendered person

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
altnameJag said:
I don't see what that has to do with his point, or how you interpreted that post that way, considering it's just rooted in the idea that using deception to create sexual consent in any situation is a bad idea. Generally for both parties. That doesn't mean he thinks transwomen or men are just guys or dudes pretending to identify as the oppposite gender, because that's frankly kind of ridiculous.

It just means that lying to somebody about the circumstances or situations that could occur should either of you choose to fuck each other is generally not a good idea for either person involved.

I am conflicted myself, considering a transperson is taking a very huge risk when revealing that information to their partner after forming a relationship. But I can't say a transperson would be blameless in deceiving somebody about their circumstances, and then being rejected after their potential partner found out. I guess that sounds like blaming the victim or something, but I think until the general populace becomes more knowledgeable and accepting of transpeople, that may just have to be how it all works out for the time being. I'm just not sure when that time will come, though I hope it's relatively soon.

edit: Before I get snapped at for using the word deception, because I'm sure I will, I don't want to say that it's done out of malice. In the case of transpeople, I'm sure it's mostly done out of the fear of the reaction of their partner, or the fear of their own life considering the general view of transpeople in society. It's a shitty situation, and I can understand why it happens, but I don't think it fully justifies inflicting emotional conflict or distress upon another person either.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
camazotz said:
I spent the weekend at a friend's birthday party telling his ridiculous family members what a bunch of idiots they are for supporting the Indiana Freedom of Religion Bill over the weekend. But, as a guy, while I can completely get how a transgendered individual might be upset at that poem I am conflicted, because I know that a big, deep part of the acceptance problem transgendered people face is that straight men and women are often deeply disturbed by the thought of an individual who faces gender identity issues, and moreso if they are seeking corrective surgery to fix the problem. So part of me says, "sure, that poem isn't actually part of the game, so it's not representing any internal story element or bit, and therefore doesn't really serve much purpose." Another part of me says, "it's funny because there's an uncomfortable truth hidden behind it." But that truth is not about transgendered women tricking men, but about the discomfort (and and sometimes outright transphobia) that I would bet a fair majority of straight men and women feel when thinking on the subject. Not least of which is because there does seem to be a fundamental psychological disconnect between those who have dealt with gender identity issues (they're indellibly wrapped up in the very essence of what it means to be one thing physically but to feel like something else mentally) and the way a straight gender-aligned person feels about it (which is that the notion of being on thing while feeling another way is almost inconceivable and deeply disconcerting).

So I guess what I'm saying is I'll be buying and playing Pillars of Eternity, and I wouldn't object if Obsidian removed that poem since it serves no real purpose. However, the real problem with the poem is much deeper than just mischaracterizing transgendered people; it's expressing a fear among the majority cisgender population that isn't readily going to go away anytime soon, and the question of whether humor can help lighten the load of such worries or not is an entirely different issue.....but in the interim this lymeric serves no real purpose (within the context of the game) so why keep it?
Agree with much of this, though the bolded part stuck out at me because, while I do think that humor can act as an icebreaker for delicate issues, I don't think that this poem really fills that role. Reading it, I don't think the average response is going to be introspection about why many people are uncomfortable with trans people, if some of the responses in this thread are any indication. The punchline seems to be more at the guy that killed himselfs expense at how he was 'tricked', and does more to reaffirm the prevailing opinions that 'trans people are weird/gross/just trying to trick me'.

Coincidentally, another joke that fell flat for me was the gag during that Hangover movie (not the first one, may have been the second) that took place in Bangkok, where Ed Helms character has sex with a transwoman, and the entire 'joke' revolves around how she has a penis and that's so totally gross amirite? And how he took it in the butt (if memory serves me correctly). There was no humanising element for the woman and her status as a trans woman was played for the 'ew thats so gross' laugh.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
The Almighty Aardvark said:
FirstNameLastName said:

First thought: You might have been better to have steered away from the "Dressing up as something you're not to deceive an unsuspecting innocent" direction with this analogy

Second thought: I swear, I have seen this hentai

The analogy is really flawed though, for one, transgender people aren't dressing up like the gender they identify with to trick people. A better analogy would be two siblings separated at birth, one of whom realized that they were siblings at some point but neglected to tell the other.

Even then, it'd still be a flawed analogy because there is no stigma or blowback on Alice if she informs Bob they're siblings, the detail isn't something personal to her that could easily skew others perception of her. Alice only loses sex in this analogy, where it can have a lot more lasting effect and substantial effect on a transgendered person
I already did the "separated at birth" analogy earlier, but with a different intent. And as with above, it's not about whether or not trans-women are real women, it's about what responsibility Bob has in this scenario, and the morality of keep secrets that you have a good reason to suspect to be very important to your sexual partner.

While the morality of more actively deceiving others certainly seems more sketchy than simply being transgender and not mentioning it, both of these scenarios are about one person allowing others to draw a (most likely) false conclusion about them (based on probability), and then ignoring the fact that (based on more probability) the partner would most likely not consent, should they be aware of this secret.

As for the dangers involved, transgender people would be more likely to be violently abused if they kept the secret rather than simply being upfront. Not saying there are no people who would get violent just from flirting with a trans person (there undoubtedly are), but they would be more likely to attack if they were allowed to go all the way before finding out.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
The Almighty Aardvark said:
From all the people I've talked to, a lot of it comes from just getting accustomed to hostility for it. Doesn't help when there really isn't that much (accurate) information going around about trans people, and a large portion of the information you do see floating around comes from people complaining about them. Simply because there's a lot more people who think that transsexuality is a joke ("Oh look! I'm mentally a pony! See, I can do it too") than there are actual trans people. And it's way easier to mock someone you don't understand than to actually understand them.

In any case, there's a lot of people on this site who could answer questions you have, and from what I've seen in any of the threads dedicated to that, they have been pretty damn tolerant and understanding even in the face of some really tactless comments. Even just skimming some threads in the past might help you out if you wanted more information. Seriously, from all my time here there's some very nice people on this site if you're sincere in wanting to know more
You're joking right? The trans people on this site as a general rule are like fedora atheists, vegans, and American Lefters, they make it loud and clear who/what they are(well, at least the ones that joined ~three years ago). And outside of Dizzy(mostly because I like them too much), I've asked them in private messages if they'd be willing to talk about it so I could get more information. Most of the time I don't get anything back, but I have gotten a couple of them telling me to quit bothering them.

Like I was trying to say, there's only so much you can get if the subjects are unwilling to talk about their...condition? defect? And when the only stuff you're getting is conflicting medical journals, militant trans/advocates/otherkin attaching themselves to it, and the anti-trans group, you don't get the best picture of much of anything.

And skimming through the threads here about the vocal transfolks evokes more of the types that use cishet and cisplaining unironically. I don't know, maybe it's like my experience with gay guys nearly all being backstabbing little brats, unlucky. Or it could be my general annoyance of being around guys in general(long story short, I have like two guy friends, one of them a roommate, and like ten women I've kept in touch with since we were kids), I don't mean to be that guy here either, but transwomen seem to be the more annoying and willing to get upset of the two in my experience, sorta like lesbians being pretty laidback gals, and gay guys being the aforementioned brats.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
I had hoped this one another issue of Taco News... Internet, please change (though not in a "more governmental oversight" way, please).

StorkV

Sep 6, 2014
I don't understand how that is transphobia... but than again nothing makes sense lately... with the hiper political correctness...

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
You know as Trans I'm a bit sensitive about these sort of jokes, because even cross-dressers are often seen as a subset of trans. There are a large number of heterosexual otherwise cis people who cross-dress for reasons other than sexual ones.

On topic: I don't find this joke blatantly offensive, or transphobic, as much as just off color. It's certainly insensitive to trans people, but on the other hand the humor of it does take some of the threat of trans people away. As humor can often open doors, and discussions, and relieve fear in some parties. For example someone has a trans friend, sees that poem, and brings it up with their trans friend, assuming the trans friend is at all rational... The trans friend would probably say: "I'd never do something like that!"

Also it's more just off color and less on the out right offensive side due to the guy who got "trapped" as it's often called was the butt of the joke in this situation, not the supposedly trans person.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Meanwhile, in the Philipines, gangs of Neo-Nazis are killing actual transwomen. But please SJWs, do tell me about how this joke in a video game hurt your feelings/how indignant you are.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
the silence said:
Since Jim Sterling posted this:
Jim Sterling &#8207;@JimSterling 23 Min
So Tim Schafer makes a joke with a sock and it's an outrage, but a joke about a subject that's gotten trans people murdered is just lols.
on Twitter, I will now try to find out how many people got killed because of this joke. Or something similar.

Someone has sources?

(Btw: He retweeted it, and he has a huge audience, so he is partly responsible for the answer this tweet got. Which makes me kind of confused - he should really know what most people think of that.)
So glad Jim is gone from The Escapist if he's gonna peddle shit like this to everyone now.