Obsidian Does it Again

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
I think you're being a bit too hard on Obsidian. I have Fallout New Vegas for PC, (got it on launch day,). the only really annoying bugs i've had were that the autosave wasn't working right, and they fixed that within 2 days. the game has a few bugs here or there, but none of it as been anywhere close to ruining the game for me. i love it, i find it quite entertaining. tho maybe i'm just one of the lucky few who hasn't experienced some of the worse bugs.

Edit: come to think of it, there is a bit of a problem with the game crashing sometimes, but thanks to (the now working)auto-save, its not that big of a problem

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
I thought Bethesda tested Fallout: New Vegas? Obsidian created it and got the go ahead.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
ChupathingyX said:
Uhhh, the Fallout series is not stupid, the originals and NV have something F3 lacked, background lore and the fact that they were proper sci fi's. A proper sci fi uses science to create events, people, places and technology without going overboard.
Subjective, and wrong. Background lore is something which would effect F3 given it is in the same universe. And science fiction uses fictional science. As in not real science. This is why you see energy weapons, hovering robots, in general robots with seemingly human like AI's.

In the originals, the use of radiation and FEV was never a "do-anything" power, like the force from Star Wars. Everything is explained, and simple things like cleaning radiation, are taken into account, because if they aren't, it makes the game's story stupid and pointless, like Fallout 3's.
Then explain to me how radiation creates giant mutated creatures, because that's a do-anything power. Real radiation does not work like that. Especially the giant insects, there needs to be some serious changes to that insect in other ways than simply growth. Insect were very big in the past, but there's a very specific chemical reason why they aren't anymore. Ghouls? Impossible, especially the long life span ghouls. Forced Evolutionary Virus, impossible, evolution doesn't work like that, you can't get immune to (real) radioactivity either.

Also. That suggestion with sand would create waste product, and not actually make the radiation go away, it would only take the radiated material out of the water. In either case, it wouldn't work, given that it doesn't clean the water of radiation, it cleans the water of radiated material. In F3, it is the water, itself. -> H[sub]2[/sub]O <- which is radiated, and you cannot clean that. Well, you cannot clean that realistically.

Lets put it like this: If I made a game where a government agency created mutants and I had to fight them and kill them. However, the game was realistic and I could be killed in one shot, I had breath, real time injuries etc. However, I can only use melee weapons. Why? Why can't I just attack them from far away with a rifle?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If you only can use melee weapons, why are you then asking why you can't attack from afar? didn't you just answer that? because you can only use close combat? I don't understand this part.

That's what made Fallout 3's story lacking. Why couldn't people just clean the radiation out? Why do we need to put heaps of tech, years and people's lives into something that people could do themselves?

Also I don't hate Fallout 3. I just think the others are better.
They couldn't clean the water, because radiated H[sub]2[/sub]O is pretty much impossible to clean, even by fallout universe standards. it seems to only be the consequences of radiation which is fictional, not the "nature" of radiation. Then again, I'm not seeing why it really needs explaining, I mean people haven't been able to clean it by themselves, which already suggests that it not as simple as you see it. I mean, if you see something and think, "why didn't they just do [whatever]", it doesn't have to be a laps in logic, just because it is unexplained, doesn't mean it isn't explainable. Especially in sci fy, where real world rules doesn't necessarily apply.

It's okay to like the others better, just don't do it because you think they are realistic.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
I Like the New Vegas because i havent encountered a single bug. And it seems much more polished than Fallout 3. At this point i can see a lot of people have encountered trouble with the game, but saying that everybody agrees that this game is filled to the brim with bugs and gamebreaking failure is wrong if not everybody agrees. MAYBE Bethesda (Yes Bethesda) did have some people test it, and maybe the people who tested it only encountered the bugs which has been removed and therefor never seen the light of day? Ever thought of that?? I would think people herewere a whee, bit smarter than to judge a book by its cover. This goes to both the people who hate/love the game and those who judge it without having it even tried!

Rockdrake

Aug 27, 2008
Well my companion Veronica just bugged out after her main quest line(just stands in the same spot forever) that was fixable by going to Gibson's shack and downloading the data again although it did certainly ruin the immersion afterwords. I also lost five hours worth of saves before that. My game crashes constantly even after I've updated all my drivers. Don't even get me started on random events and gambling.

This is absolutely the same shit I dealt with KOTOR II my god that game was buggy even after I got a brand new PC and downloaded all the new patches I really HATED that game. I will blame Obsidian for this because of the track record they've had with these games. I will not however ask for my money back because of the well told story within it. Even though it may push me down and break my teeth I will not give up on this game because it draws me in so much better than Fallout 3 even if some of the immersion is broken. The only thing I hope for now is that the ending being well thought out(that may be to much to ask from obsidian though).

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
It's interesting how Obsidian managed to get a hatedom that Bethesda doesn't have, outside of No Mutants Allowed.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
jaketheripper said:
spectrenihlus said:
Eh it's a bethesda open world game. They are always super glitchy when they first come out.
The only glitches ive seen are the fucking deathclaws >.> oh wait, thats obsidian being retarded :p i hate deathclaws so....
Oh i copletely agree.

Obsidian dev: I know let's make it so that Deathclaws have a million health are armored and can kill you in one swipe.

Obsidian dev2: That's brilliant and lets have them be grouped upall together so that you have to fight 10 of them at the same time.
So Deathclaws are back to how they were in Fallout 1 and 2? Things that were meant to be feared beyond anything else.

Sounds good to me!

I like Obsidians games. I liked KOTOR2 and NWN2 alot. I bought them about a year after they were released and thus had alot of bug fixes (shame about the ending of KOTOR2 but it was rushed by LA). So I'll do the same for FNV. In a years time when I'm ready to play it, it'll be great.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Very interesting read. I played Fallout 3 and really enjoyed my time with it WHEN IT WORKED. Sadly, the multitude of bugs eventually pushed me away, and I do feel bad that I had to turn my back on such an engrossing experience. I had put NV in my Gamefly queue which is usually a lock, but for whatever reason it didn't ship out and probably won't for a while. After reading that this game was even more plagued by the same things that pushed me away from 3, I'm not so bummed that it didn't ship out. As a former programmer (I say former because my dickhead boss fired me because nepotism is a good way to run a business) I sympathize with these game developers, but a simple thing like the save issue is really inexcusable.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Delusibeta said:
It's interesting how Obsidian managed to get a hatedom that Bethesda doesn't have, outside of No Mutants Allowed.
Not really interesting.. it's just telling, that somehow "everyone" (who is anyone, I guess) agrees that the most heavy advertisers:

1. never release buggy games.
2. always get positive slants on their news-items.
3. never produce a game that rates lower than 8.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I found the same sort of problem with the release of Civilization V. Rampant CTDs and silly errors that anyone could have spotted. Ridiculous AI issues, pathfinding errors and game mechanics that don't work as intended. They're working on fixing them, but I'm convinced now that buying PC software on day 1 is like signing up to be a paying beta tester.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
the only issue ive ever had with either fallout 3 or new vegas was the buggy as hell operation anchorage and "the Pitt" the DLCs for FO3 just seemed a bit less polished than necessary.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
Eh it's a bethesda open world game. They are always super glitchy when they first come out.
Quoted for an amazing level of truth. C'mon, folks. If you ever bought a Bethesda game before, you knew what you were getting yourself into here. It's the price of admission. One I happily am paying while I enjoy wandering the Mojave Wastes. Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go hunting for star caps.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Any ambitious sandbox RPG is bound to be riddled with bugs when it releases, so long as they make good by patching everything in a reasonable time frame then its all good by me.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
I have to disagree with a lot of the vitriol directed towards Obsidian. I for one LOVED Kotor 2 and NWN2 and when playing through both of those games (on the PC mind you) didn't experience the level of bugginess that most people seem to suffer through while playing them. I admit there were a few bugs but that's to be expected in any massive rpg. Was the original NWN, Oblivion or Fallout 3 without bugs during their initial releases? Not Hardly. I wouldn't expect differently from New Vegas.

I hate dealing with bugs in RPGs as much as anyone, and I'll admit the stories in Obsidians' sequels are often weaker then their predecessors, but the gameplay is always great overall and if there's one thing I've learned is it's that massive RPGs like these take some patience. Yeah it might mean waiting a week or two for a patch but it's usually worth it in the end, especially when there's such a huge modding community out there that give you way more then your 50-60 bucks worth that you spent on the vanilla game.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
i really havent encountered too many glitches except for one that is really pissing me off. every time i want to use a computer i have to hold down the action button in order to keep the screen up. so if i want to hack a computer i have to hold down "B" (my action button) nd then cycle through the commands and press "A" while still holding down "B". im not connected to live (i live in the mountains so its not an option) so i dont know if the patch fixed this

new vegas is a great game but the only thing wrong with it is all of the bugs. i dont regret my purchase but i do get agitated with the game for all of the bugs. then again, i would rather have a great game with a ton of bugs than a crappy game with no bugs at all

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
It's funny how many people support Obsidian even after all these buggy games.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Ok so aside from the bugs, did you like the game, I'm not kidding, you see for some reason everybody and their grandma seem to think just because of some bugs (severity notwithstanding), that the game sucks, but from my experience it works perfectly (aside from the bugs obviously), the story is simple sure, but it works, the game's sense of humor is spot on, from what I've played of the original Fallouts (Best $20 I've spent on steam so far, sides from TF2). I'm not saying that all of their work was AAA-material, KOTOR2 was admittedly trying too hard plot-wise and ended up falling flat, Alpha wasn't helped by the pretentious main character, but overall New Vegas is a fun game.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I knew Obsidian were second-rate (at best) after KoToR 2, but releasing games with this many bugs, and bugs this OBVIOUS, is completely unacceptable. This is a high-profile game, there should be plenty of budget to hire additional testers.

Thank god I wasn't interested in New Vegas after being bored to tears by FO3.