Obsidian Entertainment To Collaborate on Wheel of Time Games

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Karlaxx said:
....WhooooAAAA.....

Wheel of Time Game... boggles my mind. I only made it halfway through the first book, but I would certainly play this.

As long as I get to rip the Whitecloaks a new one.
You only made it halfway through the first book..?

You realize there are FOURTEEN books right?
I know, but it was a while ago, and I don't any of them- my aunt brought some of the books over to lend to my mom, and by the time I was convinced to start reading them, I only made it into number one before we had to return them. I hope to rectify this eventually; at the time it wasn't the style of book for me.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Honestly, I'm not expecting it to be any good. Ideas rarely work well when you move them outside their original media forms (books to movies, movies to games, etc). I have no reason to think that just because I liked WoT, I'll like a game made from it.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Callate said:
Ooh, I know. They can make one reasonably solid game. And then they can make six more games that are slight variations on the first- maybe some reskinning, a new dynamic or two, a big boss fight at the end that's exciting but seems kind of familiar in the mechanics.

Then they can make three or four games with thirty to forty hours of gameplay apiece which are really all one ongoing story, but don't move forward because your characters refuse to do anything towards achieving their mission objectives. Except maybe a thing or two at the very ends of the games as a sop to players and so we can string them along with cliffhangers.

Then we'll let Raven or Double Helix do the last game.

(note to self- oh, you are so in for it, you fool...)
Hah, I see what you did there. I congratulate you sir.
Though I suppose it says something about the man's writing prowess that his books sold despite all that. I mean, if they completely sucked, we wouldn't be posting on this thread, would we?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
You know I haven't finished that series? Got to book 5, was enjoying it, then ran out of books. Must locate all twelve. The MMO could work, but I don't know about a game. You'd have to make a huge series to get all the books. Or it will butcher the story as much as movies do to books, with the exception of some Stephen King books.
I don't read Stephen King though, but I've heard he manages to keep the movie in line. I do like his movies.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
brunothepig said:
You know I haven't finished that series? Got to book 5, was enjoying it, then ran out of books. Must locate all twelve. The MMO could work, but I don't know about a game. You'd have to make a huge series to get all the books. Or it will butcher the story as much as movies do to books, with the exception of some Stephen King books.
I don't read Stephen King though, but I've heard he manages to keep the movie in line. I do like his movies.
That's the thing, though. With the Wheel of Time, they have a gigantic world to play around in. They wouldn't even have to make something more than tangentially related to the main storyline.

Granted, we probably wouldn't get a game set during the Trolloc Wars or Hawkwing's conquest, but they could probably make a small plotline of, say...rebel Taraboners fighting against the Seanchan incursion.