Obsidian Hopes "Digital Distribution Stabs the Used Game Market in the Heart"

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
Is it just me or are the companies that complain about piracy and used game selling the most the ones with some of the worst reputations for game quality?

Thinking Obsidian and especially Ubisoft.

It's really all that matters. The ones that put out the worst product, make the least amount of money, and look for things to blame it on.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Ranorak said:
I never got this, the money stores make with used sales profits eventually find their way back to developers.
I mean, they use that money to either improve their store and get more sales.
Or buy more copies of game to sell.

Lets say Eric buys Battlefield 3 for 60 euro's
He dislikes it, and sells it back for 20 euro's.
Eric spends the 20 Euro's on another game.
And GameStore X puts his used copy on display for 30 euro's

Steve buys the second hand copy for 30 euro's
Gamestore X uses the 30 euro's to get more copies of Battlefield 3.

In the end, the store has 110 euro's to spend on buying more video games off of publishers, instead of the 60 of the initial sale.
That's not how stores work at all.
Aside from the prices being a little optimistic in your example, the store does NOT spend those 110 euros on games.
Almost all of that money goes into wages and profit.

It's more like this:

1 Eric buys BF3 for $60. $30 goes to the game publisher. $30 goes to wages, rent and store profit.
2 Eric sells BF3 for $10 and purchases a used copy of MW3 for $50. Store makes $40 profit (assuming MW3 was purchased from some kid for $10 aswell).
3 Steve buys BF3 for $50. Store makes $40 profit.

Store: $110. Publisher: $30.

What Steve and Eric should have done is trade with eachother instead. They have all of modern IC technology at their fat disposals and both were willing to drive to the very same spot.
Eric was willing to part with BF3 for as little as 10 and Steve was willing to buy it for as much as 50, so they now have $40 between them to spend on more games (or anything else), if they weren't so dumb to just give away the $40 to a middleman.
Suppose that $40 is then spend on a new game the score would be 90:50 and Steve and Eric would have 3 games between them instead of 2.

Used games aren't bad, but middlemen are.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
bootz said:
Luke Cartner said:
I would strongly disagree that the used game market and piracy have little in common for an ethical perspective.
Both result in the copyright holder not getting paid for there efforts. Both include people not paying for a license to use that copyright (in the form of the game).
Just because you paid some money does not make it ethical anymore than paying for a pirated game would be.
So what if your game doesn't work either because of a bug or something else.
What recourse should you have if you can't sell it? You can't return it because its opened. You can't sue because of the eula
If there is a bug (which to be honest is highly unlikely that it wont be patched but ok) it should be patched.

If you just dont like it buy from a retailer like eb games which allow returns for refunds in the first week.

Jan 22, 2011
Vault101 said:
Brandon Cecil said:
hey make some games that are fun play with out crashing every 3hrs or less "new vegas i am looking at you", don't hold out on dlc and think of those who have a FU**** bandwidth cap, then we can talk. I love how game publishers hate this model but tell me?? How else am I going to re-buy old games for the ps2, saturn, dreamcast, or games from companies like nisa if they go out of print before I can make a purchase? "not a huge fan of drm if there is option around it with collectors editions sorry" I just love how they think they are losing huge profit when mf3 just reached the billion dollar mark... on offense to activision i will be buying that pre-owned, think the meet their bottom line.
download cap?

....I feel your pain *hug*
thanks for the hug..

On a different note, after reading all of this b.s. in the thread I do want to know one thing..say if i am unable to buy a game brand new day one so I wait a few months and the price was marked down from 60 to 20 dollars, is that any worse than buying pre-owned? The company looses 40 dollars in profit from a marked down game. A case/point example would be duke nukem forever "a really bad game imo".

Putting that aside it hasn't even been out a year yet however my local wal-mart is now selling it new for 9.99$...so maybe it's just not used games to blame if your said product is a piece of shit.

Yes gaming is luxury but you can save up money to buy a system overtime, I have done it myself and own 2 ps3's, 2 360's, 2 wii's, 2 dream cast, 3 ps1, 2 sega Saturn .I think you get the pic. however affording rapid release of 10-20 new games from 60-100 dollars a piece deepening on the collectors edition is a tad much but your talking to person that only buys 20 new games a year if that.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
Razada said:
Alandoril said:
Why in the name of all that some consider holy, can't these people realise that used sales do absolutely nothing to their cash flow. The customer has already paid for that game, it's ceases to be your property the moment it is purchased, any resale value is none of your business. Literally.

People who buy a used copy of a game would not have purchased it new anyway. You're not losing, you're just not gaining it. That's entirely different.
But if they stop gaining then they start losing, that is the nature of the capitalist system. Without constantly rising profits, investment stops. Without investment, profits fall. It is not just one company having a budget to balance "This much goes into a game, this much comes out, if more comes in than goes out in making the game we are better off" you have to consider every OTHER part of the industry.

If the used games market did not exist, companies would make more money. End of. So the people who really control the companies (Who are disconnected from and do not give a shit about the industry) see things in that light and want to get rid of the used games market because they hurt profit. And yes, it does hurt profit. End of.

Not gaining a sale is losing a sale, it does affect their cashflow and companies can and will be doing everything possible to make that cashflow bigger. They have to, they have a duty to their shareholders, they have a duty to themselves. Money creates money, without constant high-level growth the industry will begin to suffer. And if the used games market did not exist at all and they got another few sales from that (Lets say 1 in 10 who used to by Used now buys New) that is a hell of a lot more money going into the industry.

So yeah, I think that should clear things up.

Wiki out, I have work to do.
Umm wow so many wrong ideas were to start. First off I usually buy new unless its a super old game that I can't find new

If there was no used games market. I would stop buying new games and I wouldn't be the only one. So The devs and publishers would lose money. The reason I would stop buying is because if I pay $60 for something like a bike or videogame or jeans, and they don't work/fit, I would like to be able to return them. I can do that with jeans and bikes.
Videogames I can't return but I can sell them. Some games have game crashing bugs that kill the game. If we lose the ability to sell those games, I would stop buying games entirely so I'm not stuck with a $60 loss.

All good investors know not to piss off your customers. Maybe they should teach the devs and publishers that.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Frankly, fuck him. Let's see what his position is when he can't afford to pay for brand-new games.

I understand why new games cost so much, I understand they're risky ventures, but that doesn't change the fact that there are people who simply cannot afford box fresh games.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
Luke Cartner said:
bootz said:
Luke Cartner said:
I would strongly disagree that the used game market and piracy have little in common for an ethical perspective.
Both result in the copyright holder not getting paid for there efforts. Both include people not paying for a license to use that copyright (in the form of the game).
Just because you paid some money does not make it ethical anymore than paying for a pirated game would be.
So what if your game doesn't work either because of a bug or something else.
What recourse should you have if you can't sell it? You can't return it because its opened. You can't sue because of the eula
If there is a bug (which to be honest is highly unlikely that it wont be patched but ok) it should be patched.

If you just dont like it buy from a retailer like eb games which allow returns for refunds in the first week.
Umm that return policy is if you buy the game used. I like to buy new. Skyrim btw has a game crushing bug on ps3 they said would NOT get patched so it happens.

pyro fennec

May 6, 2011
On the other hand of digital distribution, that particular method of spreading New Vegas DLCs around is part of the reason why anyone east of Germany is STILL waiting for Lonesome Road to come out.

Aren't region locks fun?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
OutrageousEmu said:
Therumancer said:
Given that the high asking price is justified by the abillity to recoup part of that expense through trade ins,
It fucking is not! The so caled high asking price is the one that hasn't been affected by inflation since videogames were first sold in the mid fucking eighties. If it were a fair price, it would be adjust for inflation to $121, without any ability to resell.
Incorrect to a massive degree. I really did have a computer in the 1980s so I can actually say that with authority even if I was a kid at the time. Most people who claim this are of course lying because really there weren't that many units out there.

At any rate, to begin with the high software prices were justified by limited sales, a video game that moved a few hundred or a few thousand copies was doing really well, and devs were literally working out of their basements and such.

The issue is now that your dealing with computers and consoles being present in almost every home, and games are moving hundreds of thousands or even millions of copies, with the industry raking in billions in profit from the units moved. The volume of sales and mass production is high enough where prices by definition should have been going down dramatically in a very real sense. Rather the prices have been increasing due to coordinated price hikes.

The problem with the gaming industry right now actually starts with the developers. See, the way games are developed is usually that a producer says he wants to invest in a game to make money. He might either have an idea (or one put together by a focus group) or leave it to the developers to come up with something they want to sell. The Developers then give the publisher a price and a time frame in which to create that game. The actual costs in producing a game are minimal compared to these budgets, the bulk of the money going into the cost of human resources... what the developers decide they want to pay themselves for the time worked.

Developers generally do not make any money off of the sales, rather the publishers do, needing to recoup what they paid the devs with the costs above that being profit. When a game comes out, the developer has generally gotten it's money already.

The high price of games is the rising price of game development in many cases, due to developers becoming increaisngly greedy despite their claims of living hand to mouth. They look at the profits producers are making and decide "we want more of that for the same work" leading to the current problem. When a code monkey might want $100k a year to bang out lines of code for a two year development cycle that kind of thing really raises the price of games. Those demands are also why developing games like they used to is hard because all the guys who do graphics and such want so much money for their work hiring enough people can be difficult.

Incidently this system is also at the root of the finaicial problems with games like "Duke Nukem Forever". See if a producer gives a developer money for a game they use it to pay themselves, and that means if they don't produce anything the money is gone with no real way to recoup it. The worst that can usually be done is not hiring the developer again. This is why there were issues with the missing 30 million dollars (or whatver it was) paid into the development of DNF because the dev team basically lived off of that money while not actually producing much in the way of an actual product other than some screenshots and coming soon blurbs.

Now granted, this can work other ways as well, sometimes a developer will take a loan from a producer to make a game, and then itself reap the profits in hopes of making enough to pay back the loan. This is less common because after all if a developer borrows money, pays itself, and then doesn't produce anything and goes out of business or delcares bankrupcy the producer is pretty much screwed.

This is the basics, but it's been covered in things like "Game Informer" and other sources over the years.

Another point to consider is that the gaming industry basically operates as an illegal cartel, albiet one that has not gotten attention from the goverment yet. One thing you'll notice is that all games cost the same basic prices. A game that takes a million dollars to develop and one that takes a hundred million both sell for the same $60 price tag. This is because the industry coordinates prices so nobody will try and undercut each other. You'll also notice that despite all the hype about competition, you usually see releases staggered through the year so big titles don't go head to head with each other more than nessicary so nobody winds up in the intended position of having to try and produce the highest quality product for the lowest price, and everyone can make money without having to divide what the market can bear at any given time.

Overall with the number of computers and consoles out there, games should be going for like $20 a pop tops. Of course that would require massive industry reforms including things like developers receiving reasonable salaries, and also being made to actually work on producing for the entire time they are being paid (like a real job). Not to mention goverment monitoring of the industry to end price setting and force competion. What the industry is doing is very similar to what you've seen with gas/oil cartels setting gas prices in the US so they don't have to compete with each other (which has gradually been changing due to goverment attention, even if it's a constant battle). This means prices would lower while quality would go up as games actually have to try and undercut and outperform each other
for the same market.

It's not really crazy, it's simply an understanding of how things work. I've read a lot about it over the years.

One valid point to consider though is that a lot of those dev budgets also go towards the salaries of a few individuals. Guys like Itigaki and Peter Molyneux pay themselves very well out of their dev budgets. I think Itigaki (the guy who did Dead Or Alive and Ninja Gaiden) was fighting over like 20 million dollars he was owed at one point (which is crazy for someone who makes video games). That's an aspect of things that need to be dealt with as
well I feel.

See, the issue is that while gaming has the potential to be as big as Hollywood and Pro Sports combined (another whole discussion) it's not there yet, and it's being strangled by short term greed. Right now you wind up with game developers and publisher CEOS that want to act like the industry is there already and live like Rock Stars with their private jets, multi-million dollar paydays, and celebrity guests/voice actors. I mean crap, Miyamoto signed some dude's arm on request. Too much too soon is the problem, and these game price tags are the result of the bill for all of this being passed on to us consumers.

Also to explain what I mean by making these guys produce (mentioned above), one of the big reasons why a lot of games are released as such huge messes is because a lot of times the devs take their money and then just goof off while living off of it. Then as the release date comes along they haven't done a lot of the work, and need to say crunch 2 years of development into a period of like six months. A lot of people don't want to believe this, but look at a lot of games that have gotten pushed up, and stories about how a game that has been in development for a year or more doesn't actually have much going for it except for a trailer. DNF simply being the most infamous example of this. It's also the story behind some of these crunch-time stories by the wives of developers you hear when devs are forced to work non-stop for the last few months before release to try and get a product in releasable shape.

I'm NOT a nice guy about this, but I criticize the gaming industry, it's price, and it's practices for some good reasons, and I've been following this for quite a while. I think the problem is that most people who defend the industry tend to forget all the little incidents they hear about, the little exposes, and that kind of stuff instead of putting them together to form a clear picture.

Granted, not all developers are quite the wanna-be Rockstars of Ion-Storm in it's prime (perhaps the worst when it's come to a lot of this stuff) but I think a lot of them become a lot closer than we fans might want to admit to ourselves.

Dorano

Aug 29, 2011
Berenzen said:
omicron1 said:
Real answer (that they won't just come out and say): "We're trying to expand our profit base to avoid the "make a mega-hit or die" situation we've found ourselves in as publishers; to put it bluntly, we need more money."

Sad corollary to this: If people have to pay full price and can't trade in old games for new ones, fewer games will be bought. Any potential gains seen by the publishers will be minor and not enough to stave off disaster.
Yeah, they need more money, and they're trying to be diplomatic about it. Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Avellone, reselling games is causing a massive hit to the game industry. Say if 2 million copies of a game are sold pre-owned, that's about 54 million dollars (~27*2000000) that the company doesn't make on a $60 game. That's production cost of a new game.
The game has to have been purchased to be traded in or sold as used. The companies lose no profit on this, they're just trying to make it look unfair. If I'm going to sell my used copy of AC: Revelations to my friend for 30 bucks am I supposed to be required to give 25 of that to Ubisoft? No. because that's retarded. Why should Gamestop/EB games have to pay developers a cut of their profits?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
Frankly, fuck him. Let's see what his position is when he can't afford to pay for brand-new games.

I understand why new games cost so much, I understand they're risky ventures, but that doesn't change the fact that there are people who simply cannot afford box fresh games.
Used games are literally like $5 cheaper. If you have enough for a used game, chances are you have enough for a new game. If you don't, then go look around outside for some extra cash to buy it new. Hell, I found a tenner on the side of the road this morning.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
That's all as well as may be however a few things here that need be said. First the viability of their business model should not be something I, as a consumer, need worry about. Costs too high? Their problem, not mine. Not enough people buying new? Again their problem not mine. This is all things that are INTERNAL problems that should never, EVER, be blamed on the consumer. Those are self inflicted problems with their business model. If they can't balance income vs cost in the free market then maybe they need to fail.

The great thing about a free market is that at the end of the day the products that people want to buy are the products that will ultimately succeed. If their product isn't selling well then they need to ask what THEY are doing wrong not what the customers are doing wrong. The customers are there only to buy, or not buy, their product. By blaming used sales they are blaming the free market, and by extension consumers, for their own failings. .

Secondly to claim the gaming industry is hurting in any way shape or form is pure and utter garbage. The game industry has been posting RECORD SALES AND PROFITS in one of the worst economies in over a century. Gaming is one of the few industries that has not only not been hurt by the economy but has managed to grow despite of it.

Thirdly just because we see some companies going under this doesn't herald the end of the industry. It's just the natural progression of any industry. Some companies don't make it. Meanwhile, others thrive. It's just the way of things.

Finally I refuse to believe that over the multiple centuries that items have been bought and sold while every other single maker and seller of goods has managed to do just fine with their goods being bought and sold second hand that video games are somehow deserving of special treatment against the used market that no other maker and seller of goods has EVER enjoyed.

If they ever succeed in doing away with the used market they will be selling us literally worthless products. The games they sell us will have absolutely ZERO value once they have our money. Sure the publishers make out like bandits with that scenario but the consumers would be getting totally and utterly fucked over.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Yah? Well, too bad! I primarily buy used or budget games. I don't have the money to spend on new games continuously. If you released your games at a lower price I'm sure I'd buy more of them first-hand. But instead you put in more hoops like always-online DRM bullshit in and even raise prices further on games. No thanks. Frankly, I doubt I'd buy your games even for a budget price if it involves some stupid security system that bothers legal customers even more than pirates. This just goes to show that I'll have to be even more careful in the future about what activation, always-online or other such hurdles are introduced in games than I already do.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I tend to just wait if I can't afford new
Three to six months later it'll be half price or better on Steam, and even a month later you sometimes can pick things up for half price.

I've already seen Saint's Row 3, Arkham City, and Skyrim all for under £20 new.

IF they wanted to kill the used games industry all they need to do is stop selling games, which they're already moving towards. Go rental only. Unfortunately they'd have to wean themselves off the huge piles of $60 they're used to seeing on the first weekend.

I do wonder how many games nowadays would not be able to run on the PS2 and Xbox 1 if you just scaled down the graphics some. In the vast majority, we're still playing the same shooty/drivey/fighty games we always have been, just shinier.

Also, possibly the game I've spent most hours on this year would be Defense Grid, and I'll be buying the new Portal themed DLC before a sale comes along, because I want to make sure I pay full price for it! Defense Grid could have been released on the PS1 and could probably run on most new cellphones.

I think that's going to be the secret to success in the future, people buying quality new at full price, and letting the dross lurk on shelves til it hits the bargain bins.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
SonicWaffle said:

Used games are literally like $5 cheaper. If you have enough for a used game, chances are you have enough for a new game. If you don't, then go look around outside for some extra cash to buy it new. Hell, I found a tenner on the side of the road this morning.
Man, you must live near some insanely fucking expensive video game shops!

You can pick up used games in the £5-25 range most of the time, whereas a new copy from the same shop is going to set you back closer to £40. It's just a matter of waiting a little while for the price to drop, and Robert's your mothers brother.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Worgen said:
Racecarlock said:
Worgen said:
You can go as digital as you want, just give up making full price for your games, I have allot of games on my steam but only like 3 of them were bought for full price and 2 of those are from valve, the rest are all on sales for cheap as hell.
Well then there's their next target, isn't it. If games are sold at a discount, they're not getting as much money as they can, therefore stealing the discounted part of the price.

Hey, don't look at me like that, it's their logic.
So, your saying that piracy is the only option left?
No, that will be their last target. The only option left will be sticking with safe titles because every game will cost 120 dollars because fuck you, we don't have any competition anymore, we can charge whatever the hell we want because these are our services MUAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

And I know some people will tell me "But, consumers will never let that happen". Bullshit. Consumers have put up with every piece of bullshit from the industry so far, so why stop there?

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Dorano said:
The game has to have been purchased to be traded in or sold as used. The companies lose no profit on this, they're just trying to make it look unfair. If I'm going to sell my used copy of AC: Revelations to my friend for 30 bucks am I supposed to be required to give 25 of that to Ubisoft? No. because that's retarded. Why should Gamestop/EB games have to pay developers a cut of their profits?

If your friend had purchased AC:Revelations new from the store, he would have been giving his money to the publisher. In essence purchasing it used is a lost profit, a purchase of Ubisoft's game was made, yet the publisher made no money off of it- therefore a lost profit.

Look, selling of used games is going to happen, it can't be stopped unless there is a complete shift to Digital Distribution. However, the biggest issue is that Gamestop and it's subsidiaries are selling the used games en masse beside the new games, sometimes for only a minimal discount, so they cut the publishers out of a profit of a full game.

Honestly, I think that used games sales is inevitable, yet selling them beside new games- essentially the only thing that Gamestop does- is just dirty. Used games should only be sold in used games shops- they exist, I frequent the one near my house when I want to purchase an old N64/GBA/etc. game- that way people can sell their games that they don't want to play anymore, yet there isn't a 50 dollar copy of the same game sitting beside a $60 copy of one, yet the $50 copy sales only go to the retailer, not the publisher.