Obsidian Teases a New RPG

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Its totally going to be a mascot platformer. It will be tied into the 2009 film "9" only in this one you play as 4, where you must rescue your twin 3.

Yep thatll be it.

Whaddya mean? How can a ref from 2009 be obscure? Pfft, whatever.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
Obsidian has done nothing but ruin sequels the last few years. They survive by leeching off franchises.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well judging by the art design it's not looking to be a sci-fi rpg lol cuz I'm just seeing something Oblivion/Skyrim-y

looking forward to it tho. still haven't finished New Vegas, but I'm still needing to go back and 100% Fallout 3

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
EHKOS said:
Hmmm. I love Obsidian but I'm getting tired of fantasy RPG's. Medival settings are used up.
I kind of get that vibe too

and it's not like I've been diving in all of the ones that have been coming out between and after Oblivion/Skyrim lol

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Both games are good, but KOTOR 2 blows the original out of the water in every single category even with the mangled ending (Which wasn't their fault and has now happily been repaired). Both Never Winter Nights games had boring plots, although at least 2 had Mask of the Betrayer to make up for it.

And yeah, New Vegas is significantly better than 3. No point comparing them to the originals,vastly different experiences and all that, although I did put way more time in New Vegas than 1 or 2 (And it didn't begin with an annoying temple level where you fight scorpions and ants for an hour).

Also "Hated" seems like a strong word to use. I've heard complaints, but never anyone outright hating them, and KOTOR2 is often to this day held as the pinnacle of writing in the Star Wars Universe.
I got to ask what KOTOR 2 did you play? The KOTOR 2 I played had
-more bugs
-A unfinished plot
-Tons unfinished gameplay mechanic
KOTOR 2 was all around worse then KOTOR 1 from all stand points from writing to technical.

As for NWN, Hordes of the Underdark, and Shadow of the Undrentide, blow NWN2, and Mask of the Betrayer, out of the water in terms of plot

I will admit Fallout New Vegas may have had a better plot then Fallout 3, but in terms of its world, Fallout 3 is vastly superior, not to mention Fallout 3 was actually playable, unlike New Vegas which to this day still CTDs every hour without the unofficial patch. Being able to write a better story mans nothing if your players cant experience the story, which you really cant without mods. New Vegas may have been more true to the Fallout series in its portrayal of the Fallout world, but overall, Fallout 3 was the better game.

Kair said:
Obsidian has done nothing but ruin sequels the last few years. They survive by leeching off franchises.
At least there are a few sane people left who can see how bad Obsidian is apparently.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Maybe it's your system because I've never had a problem with Fallout NV CTD. Unless I alt tab while full screen which isn't exactly unheard of...

I think Fallout NV was way better than Fallout 3 I mean even the ex pacs alone, the only problem I have is that it's too easy and the Hardcore mode would have worked better in Fallout 3 due to resource scarcity.

I think Fallout NV was truer to the originals than Fallout 3, it even follows the lore of the originals whereas F3 poos all over it.

JE Sawyer even made a free mod to make the game more challenging, that's hardly the actions of a dev who doesn't care.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Some people saying it's Arcanum 2...if it was that would be hilarious because guess what I tweeted J.E Sawyer earlier this year xD 'Wouldn't it be great if someone made a sequel to Arcanum' :p So I will be in hysterics if it is. The mysterious talk of leaden keys and craters could be to do with the fate of the dwarves.

There is also this...

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:08 am
According to his Facebook profile, Tim Cain (Former Lead Developer of Troika Games) has joined Obsidian Entertainment.
Hey...a girl can dream :3

They certainly aren't revealing anything with those phrases. Nothing seems to lead back to anything else. Even typing Dyrwood into google comes up with sod all :|

Otherwise I'm kind of hoping it's a new IP without any dragons or elves in it. or zombies.
god I´m all for a Arcanum 2. I know I might get flak for this, but it be sweet if a new Arcanum game got the same genre shift as the Fallout series got when Beth picked up the license.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
remmus said:
Some people saying it's Arcanum 2...if it was that would be hilarious because guess what I tweeted J.E Sawyer earlier this year xD 'Wouldn't it be great if someone made a sequel to Arcanum' :p So I will be in hysterics if it is. The mysterious talk of leaden keys and craters could be to do with the fate of the dwarves.

There is also this...

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:08 am
According to his Facebook profile, Tim Cain (Former Lead Developer of Troika Games) has joined Obsidian Entertainment.
Hey...a girl can dream :3

They certainly aren't revealing anything with those phrases. Nothing seems to lead back to anything else. Even typing Dyrwood into google comes up with sod all :|

Otherwise I'm kind of hoping it's a new IP without any dragons or elves in it. or zombies.
god I´m all for a Arcanum 2. I know I might get flak for this, but it be sweet if a new Arcanum game got the same genre shift as the Fallout series got when Beth picked up the license.
I know right. I would love it.

As for that last bit I agree with you, although I'm pretty sure that will incite rage from others haha.

A Steampunk wrpg...it's...so..so beautiful.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
SajuukKhar said:
teh_gunslinger said:
You specified that the game should be done and bug free, not that it should be better than the games before it.

That said, KotOR 2, New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2 were all a lot better than the games they came from. I've never played a DS game so I can't really comment on those.
Your joking right?

How was NWN 2, KOTOR 2, or New Vegas better then NWN1, KOTOR 1, or Fallout 1-3?

-NWN2's plot was so hated that they had to make an entire expansion devoted to trying to salvage it, Mask of the Betrayer, and then they made Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir, which was such a terrible expansion which just trashed everything they had done is Mask.
-KOTOR 2 was hated for not being finished with a terribad ending
-New Veags was Fallout 3.5, not to mention it paled in comparison to Fallout 1 and 2.

That's not even mentioning the numerous bugs, and technical issues, that made them almost unplayable. NWN 2 had some of the worst optimization I have ever experianced in a game.

I have yet to hear anyone, outside of a incredibly die-hard Obisidan fan minority, say that NWN2 and KOTOR 2 were better then their originals.
Well, the first Neverwinter Nights was even more shitty with regards to story so it wasn't really hard to top that one.

New Vegas was better than Fallout 3 by virtue of actually having a decent story and a world that at least tried to make sense. Is it better than the first 2 games? I don't know. It's probably not better than the first one, but Fallout 2 was a bit of a confused mess so I'd argue that New Vegas is roughly on par with that one, even if Fallout 2 benefits from being more mechanically interesting.

KotOR 2 broke the mold of Star Wars games and introduced Kreia, one of the most interesting companions/foes in games so far. It also, happily, ditched Biowares godawful romances. While the ending indeed is a mess the game overall is a lot more interesting than the first one.

With regards to bugs, aside from some weirdness in KotOR 2 (that might have been mod related) I've seen very few bugs in those games, and certainly less than I saw when playing Fallout 3. And honestly, Fallout 2 was so buggy that it wasn't even funny.

Zburator

Aug 20, 2012
As for NWN, Hordes of the Underdark, and Shadow of the Undrentide, blow NWN2, and Mask of the Betrayer, out of the water in terms of plot
You know, I've played the entire Neverwinter Nights 2 original campagin atleast three times, and Mask of the Betrayer twice. I could barely get through the original Neverwinter Nights campagin and found Tide of the Underdark, good, but not terribly memorable.

So, I found Obsidian's story far more interesting. Sure the King of Shadows was stupid look rabbit/dark lord, but the companions made the game great (not Casavir or Elanee), the biggest shame was that they cut the Neeshka and Bishop romances.

Mask of the Betrayer was a bloody masterpiece. The story was great, the designs were beautiful, the companions was well-written and even the soundtrack was bloody awesome.

Should Obsidian keep the standard of writing that they had for NWN2, KotOR 2 and FO:NV, while fixing their... 'polishing' issues (aswell as finishing the damn game), they would, quite easily become my favortie developer.

That said, I still play Neverwinter Nights 1. Sure the campagins were meh, but the online servers are still great.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
electric method said:
It is highly doubtful that this will be a WoT game. Someone already mentioned that the series has declined in popularity a fair bit. Plus, as it's already been mentioned, there is way to much pre-determination in the WoT series for it to be lended to an RPG. Sure, it sounds good and like something people would like but, it's a foregone conclusion that said game would almost certainly fall flat and not live up to source material. I won't go into detail about how fickle fans are and that the original author of WoT has passed and a new author has been finishing up the series.

KoTOR 3 is almost assuredly out as well. BioWare/EA currently have the rights to be working in that paticular universe. Fallout is in the hands of Bethesda... so that's probably not it either.

My guess is that it's probably a new IP for them, or a revisit to an older ip they hold the rights too.
Desinty and RPG's go hadn in hand.

No the reason its not WOT is because.
A) I believe EA has those rights atm. (Not sure, some pruducer kind of does) And Red Eagle Entertainment, a crappy buisness in the practice we've seen so often here, simply bought the rights, did nothing with them, in opes someone will buy them off of them.
There IS supposedly a Movie & A game in the works though.

B) THe text given so far, has absolutely NOTHING to do with the wheel of time. And the oroborous? Its supposed to be wrapped around a wheel, not on its own. Declining Popularity? Its finally releasing its final Book January 2013. Its going to spike hard core this year, even those who read it years ago, and lost interest, will read it. Just because your own local store throws it into the bargain bin not long after, doesn't mean others do. I've seen stores keep those books on the shelves (replacing the ones bought as soon they are) for months, even keeping them up while the paperbacks go up for sale.

So.. yea, The series isn't as deflated as you think it is. Its going to only grow in the coming months, before finally waning out.
And there is a game in the works. Just not by Obsidian.

This could be a Dragon Age though. Sounds like something in their world.
And for those of you who don't realize it. Dragon Age is baisclaly Neverwinter Nights. Only with sex.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Oh please do not be a Wheel of Time RPG.

Wheel of Time was not designed for a game. Channelers are absolutely broken mechanically. If you're going by the lore situation, situations involving them are far too binary.

For instance: When encountering a channeler, are you a channeler yourself:

If no: Can they channel where and when they are? If no, hope that they're not also equally skilled with other forms of defense. If yes, are they eliminated before you're noticed? If yes, you win. If no, do you have several thousand others with you? If yes, you might survive. If no, you lose.

If yes: Are you stronger than them? If yes, shield them and instantly overpower them. If no, they shield and instantly overpower you.

Mistborn on the other hand...

SinisterDeath said:
This could be a Dragon Age though. Sounds like something in their world.
And for those of you who don't realize it. Dragon Age is baisclaly Neverwinter Nights. Only with sex.
Neverwinter Night's official campaign was terrible. The reason that it's so good (still relatively popular even now) is because of the easily accessible toolset that allows people to create their own modules.

Personally I'm hoping that it's a White Wolf based system. It's yet to disappoint. Perhaps Changeling or Geist. The atmospheres of those particular groups actually really appeal to me.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Kurt Cristal said:
Sounds like a new fantasy RPG planned. Fooey. I really want a new Alpha Protocol. Yes, I liked it. WHAT?!
I liked Alpha Protocol too. Sega says they'll never okay a sequel though.

That said, I'd LOVE it if Obsidian would develop another modern-day spy/stealth RPG, learning from their mistakes in AP (I liked AP, it did have flaws, however) and also from the things in it they did well (interesting stealth gameplay, the dialogue system).

Unfortunately, all the jargon in these teasers highly suggests it's going to be a fantasy game. I know that because it's from Obsidian, it will probably be a GOOD fantasy game, but I'd rather something different.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
-New Veags was Fallout 3.5, not to mention it paled in comparison to Fallout 1 and 2.
You realize many of the key creative team from Black Isle, who made Fallout 1 and 2, are also on the key creative team for Obsidian, right? Obsidian is what Black Isle became after Interplay tanked. So if even if you didn't like New Vegas, if you liked Fallout 1 and 2, then you enjoyed an Obsidian/Black Isle game. Just FYI.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
omicron1 said:
But am I the only one who'd love an RPG set in ancient Egypt?
I'd give my left boob to play an awesome RPG set in Ancient Egypt or a game set around the Tigris and Euphrates BCE. Oh the possibilities.