Obsidian Teases a New RPG

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Maybe the game is named '4'. That would be cool.
Shoot. Given that it's Obsidian I'm actually hoping that's what it is. I could see these crazy bastards actually making an interesting game with the number 4 as the tying theme.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
So I checked out the source code and found this little extra:

I can't work out what the Xs and T is for, however the text seems to hint that this may possibly be a sequel of some kind.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
What could it mean?
It means Yahtzee will have a new fantasy RPG to ***** about for not being very fantasy. Sounds like it's packed full things that are probably elves.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
GenGenners said:
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Interesting how the few lines of text so far revealed have already turned me off of something I literally just discovered existed.

It already sounds like the lowest and most juvenile offerings of so-called High Fantasy, so I guess it can't fail to go up from there once more is revealed.
I was about to post exactly this. It sounds so generic.
You know, I actually like High Fantasy RPGs (far more than I should) and I myself feel this sounds a bit pretentious. Huge amounts of lore tend to work well when they come with a solid foundation, but on their own they tend to be so much nonsense. I'm kind of reminded of a failed sword and sorcery novel which tells the most stereotypical of stories but includes a 16 page glossary of terms just so you can understand WTF people are talking about. Making things needlessly flowery and differant does not work in of itself, I look at Final Fantasy XIII as an example of where a fairly straightforward story can be kind of ruined by obtuse terminology and throwing in too many nonsense words. I kind of figure in a society where everyone is speaking english they are just going to call a king a king or whatever rather than saying he's "The Most High Rytlock" when really he's you know, a king, ruling over lesser lords who are for whatever reason called Rytlocks despite you thinking translation would have just lead to normal terms being used...

When I hear "I am the Spindle Of Esenath" right out of the blue devoid of context, it makes me wonderif they are developing this from the right direction.

That said, I do look forward to seeng what they turn out, I'd honestly like to see more about the gameplay and what the game looks like, than pretensious nonsense that sound like it might have been cribbed from your average homebrew D&D campaign.

If it's a "Wheel Of Time" game (and I don't recognize the terminology, so I'm guessing it's not) I'd say it's like what, 15-20 years too late? While the series has it's dedicated fans (and I used to play a WoT themed MUD) it's kind of fallen out of mainstream favor it seems and even a lot of the fans decided "enough of this". I've noticed a lot of WoT novels and such dropping down to the budget bin of bookstores like almost immediatly after release. If they had done this years ago when the series was more at the height of it's following I could see it being successful, right now I don't think it would succeed the same way. Of course there might be hopes that a video game will re-invigourate the series.

The big problem with WoT as a concept for RPGs and other spin off products is that it's too pre-destinied, there is very little in the way of free will no matter what people think, with things following a very specific path through the cycles. The characters in the books only usually get a say in what's going to happen and a chance to do something (or so they think) because they happen to be reincarnations of certain celestrial concepts like perhaps most famously "The Dragon". It's interesting to read about, but it's not a world where Joe adventurer can really make much differance, or where you can just toss a bunch of other characters into the mix and act like it matters. It's sort of like what happens with "Lord Of the Rings" where to try and capture the essence of the world and the books you can't do anything major, and always have to be elsewhere, pretty much playing the role of Gandalf's less cool friends who never get invited into the back room of the party where all the real fun is happening. :)

Ah well, enough rambling, we'll see what happens.

That said, maybe some of the dev budget should be used to send some of the writers to the Bunny Ranch in Vegas. Getting the guy who came up with "Spindle Of Esenath" laid might actually help. I suspect he's probably a virgin. ( J/K ). :)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Hmmm. I love Obsidian but I'm getting tired of fantasy RPG's. Medival settings are used up.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Riobux said:
So I checked out the source code and found this little extra:

I can't work out what the Xs and T is for, however the text seems to hint that this may possibly be a sequel of some kind.
Interesting, however given that it's a countdown over the next couple of days I imagine we'll have answers soon.

I've done a little checking and I can't find any direct connection between the locations and titles mentioned and any well known fantasy world off the top of my head. I figured if I wound up with a "hit" on all the terms used it might work. Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Wheel Of Time, etc... none of them work.

I'll also say that we can pretty much omit it being a WoT game given what's been said so far assuming it's game lore. Wheel Of Time uses a very specific, and obtuse cosmology that involves the world moving in cycles and paticular concepts being reincarnated as people in each cycle as the world turns. It uses a pseudo-christian mythology at it's heart with a "Creator" and a devil figure, and some of the characters like the Forsaken are survivors from our own time period which was the previous cycle (ie Graendal used to be a psychologist). As hardcore WoT recreationists will point out concepts like deities, angels, etc... don't really work in WoT given the way it's defined. Calling something "Godhammer Keep" or a so called "divine champion" demanding someone grovel wouldn't work. I suppose in theory a bunch of White Cloaks could wind up invoking such a response from a group of Asha'men or whatever, but things going down like that would be.... unlikely.

It seems to be an original fantasy property from the looks of things, unless my Nerd-fu is insufficient to put all the pieces into an existing setting.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
SajuukKhar said:
Veldie said:
Yea its been done already Dungeon Siege 3

Most there games are buggy because they dont have enough time to polish up or in KOTOR2's case finish the game because there dev time is cut by several months
It is unfortunate that DS3 is also considered to be a sequel that wasn't as good as its predecessors, just as most Obsidian games are.

Dungeon Siege - 86
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dungeon-siege
Dungeon Siege II - 80
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dungeon-siege-ii
Dungeon Siege III - 72
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dungeon-siege-iii

Both the professional reviews, and the user reviews, say it wasn't that good of a game. A similar situation to both NWN 2 and KOTOR 2.

If this next game is a sequel to something we can expect Obsidian to knock off around 10 points of the games average review score compared to its predecessors.
You specified that the game should be done and bug free, not that it should be better than the games before it.

That said, KotOR 2, New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2 were all a lot better than the games they came from. I've never played a DS game so I can't really comment on those.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Hmmm, well the Night Market is a place in the City of Katapesh, in the tabletop Pathfinder system. But then, the Night Market is so generic sounding it could come from a dozen different fantasy series.

I still wouldn't mind a Neverwinter Nights-ish game in the Pathfinder world.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
I would be more than willing to give something like a sequel a try, the problem is, everything they did in the game was done better in many other games.
Everything except the dialog system, and the mission consequence system. :p

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
Considering how they've fucked dungeon siege up the god damned ass with that giant serrated dildo they called a sequel, consider me not interested in the slightest. I swear they would fuck up Pong if given the chance.

Zburator

Aug 20, 2012
So it's a countdown. Now we only have the ouroboros and quotes to work on.

A snake devouring it's own tail is the symbol and ring of the Aes Sedai, so my bet is on Wheel of Time.

They also had a tendency for fancy lines like this one.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
The real question we must ask ourselves is this.

Can Obsidian, for the first time ever, made a complete game, that is stable, and playable?
Yes,

all of them. Played all their games from start to finish. Most of them from Day 1 of release.

OT: interested to see what it is, but not interested enough to go to the website myself, i'm sure the web will be up in hooplah about it when it happens though.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
It is highly doubtful that this will be a WoT game. Someone already mentioned that the series has declined in popularity a fair bit. Plus, as it's already been mentioned, there is way to much pre-determination in the WoT series for it to be lended to an RPG. Sure, it sounds good and like something people would like but, it's a foregone conclusion that said game would almost certainly fall flat and not live up to source material. I won't go into detail about how fickle fans are and that the original author of WoT has passed and a new author has been finishing up the series.

KoTOR 3 is almost assuredly out as well. BioWare/EA currently have the rights to be working in that paticular universe. Fallout is in the hands of Bethesda... so that's probably not it either.

My guess is that it's probably a new IP for them, or a revisit to an older ip they hold the rights too.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Some people saying it's Arcanum 2...if it was that would be hilarious because guess what I tweeted J.E Sawyer earlier this year xD 'Wouldn't it be great if someone made a sequel to Arcanum' :p So I will be in hysterics if it is. The mysterious talk of leaden keys and craters could be to do with the fate of the dwarves.

There is also this...

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:08 am
According to his Facebook profile, Tim Cain (Former Lead Developer of Troika Games) has joined Obsidian Entertainment.
Hey...a girl can dream :3

They certainly aren't revealing anything with those phrases. Nothing seems to lead back to anything else. Even typing Dyrwood into google comes up with sod all :|

Otherwise I'm kind of hoping it's a new IP without any dragons or elves in it. or zombies.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
teh_gunslinger said:
You specified that the game should be done and bug free, not that it should be better than the games before it.

That said, KotOR 2, New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2 were all a lot better than the games they came from. I've never played a DS game so I can't really comment on those.
Your joking right?

How was NWN 2, KOTOR 2, or New Vegas better then NWN1, KOTOR 1, or Fallout 1-3?

-NWN2's plot was so hated that they had to make an entire expansion devoted to trying to salvage it, Mask of the Betrayer, and then they made Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir, which was such a terrible expansion which just trashed everything they had done is Mask.
-KOTOR 2 was hated for not being finished with a terribad ending
-New Veags was Fallout 3.5, not to mention it paled in comparison to Fallout 1 and 2.

That's not even mentioning the numerous bugs, and technical issues, that made them almost unplayable. NWN 2 had some of the worst optimization I have ever experianced in a game.

I have yet to hear anyone, outside of a incredibly die-hard Obisidan fan minority, say that NWN2 and KOTOR 2 were better then their originals.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
For once, I'd like a developer to come out and say their making a game, or at least skip the whole countdown thing. It's getting tiresome.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
I have played F:NV for 250 hours and not had a single bug :/ I guess I must be stupidly lucky. I liked the combat better than the original Fallout games (played them at release) and I think they did a good job at keeping the atmosphere.