Obsidian Teases a New RPG

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Maybe the game is named '4'. That would be cool.
If that's the case, would the sequel be called 42?

Also, whatever it is, I hope it's a new IP. The only new IP I'm looking forward to right now is Dishonored.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
GenGenners said:
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Interesting how the few lines of text so far revealed have already turned me off of something I literally just discovered existed.

It already sounds like the lowest and most juvenile offerings of so-called High Fantasy, so I guess it can't fail to go up from there once more is revealed.
I was about to post exactly this. It sounds so generic.
Yeah... I got to jump on this too... A light in the darkness! Esenath!!! (some typical fantasy name)... Blah blah blah... Lame!

But with that being said. I've never felt let down by these devs before so I am still excited to find out what it is they are working on. I can always change my mind :)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Yes! A new Obsidian RPG! I assume Ouroboros is the technical name for the snake eating it's own tail?

Learn something new every day.

Anyway, if it's anywhere near Fallout: NV's awesomeness i'll be happy. Maybe they can work on making a bug free game for everyone for once, not just the lucky ones.

I've never had an Obsidian game bug out on me properly once. Every other person swears they crash every few hours :p

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Being Obsidian, the unfortunate question that comes to my mind is: "Will their publisher give them enough time to make absolutely sure the game is actually finished, and will the team in turn show enough discipline to use that time wisely and not fall prey to feature bloat?"

Don't get me wrong, I lumme some RPG goodness, and I'll be interested to see what they come up with. But I'm presently immersed in Skyrim, and while it's a great game in a lot of ways, it's also got more than a little bit of a "grr how could they possibly have failed to address that in all those patches?!" problem. And Obsidian often does Bethesda one better (or worse) on such accounts.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Hurray! more clichéd high-fantasy "Mystical and difficult to pronounce" bullshit RPG's! All it needs now is to include ponies and zombies and be a loot based dungeon crawler with a hotbar and cool down and the circle of "More of the same shit" will be complete.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I really hope this is the Planescape: Torment spiritual successor (sans D&D and official Planescape setting) that Chris Avellone was talking about a little while ago - especially since it looks like Josh Sawyer is going to be involved in the development.

- Spindle of Esenath = The Spire
- Black Market = The Hive
- Ouroboros = The ring-like structure of Sigil

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
omicron1 said:
But am I the only one who'd love an RPG set in ancient Egypt?
Yes, through an amazing series of increasingly unlikely coincidences, for the first time ever on the internet you are utterly and completely unique in your viewpoint.

Well done.
Hyperbolic rhetoric, meet Literal-Man! (tm)

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
The number says 3 for me, so I suppose it is a countdown. That does fortunately rule out DS4.

A new Torment or NWN mayhaps?

Or it could be the South Park thing and they are trying to confuse people with the Fantasy theme.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
So I'm not gonna lie, I kinda hope this is KOTOR III. Which is unlikely to say the least, but I can dream.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well the number is definitely a countdown.

Now it reads "The book unread is unwritten.The reason we don't explain it is the reason we use it. Its power is its mystery. That is the Leaden Key, in part, in whole. Is it clear?"

"Digging for truth buries the seeker."

Someone else will have to see if there's anything new in the actual site coding, I'm not searching through that XD

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
What is "Project X?"
I'm just going to pointlessly assume that this isn't even a stand in for a project codename and Obsidian is making an entire RPG based around that awful party movie, now I feel disappointed...and yet oddly concerned as to whether I should put points into swagger or alcohol consumption...

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
Mmmmm that's right Obsidian, take it all off!

[small]...whats that? Not that kind of tease...well crap[/small]

Ahem...

>.>

OT: Looks pretty interesting though I haven't played many of their games lately. Hope it's some fresh IP.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I'm going to a wild guess that would excite me to no end. Millennium the horror adventure game!

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Sounds like a new fantasy RPG planned. Fooey. I really want a new Alpha Protocol. Yes, I liked it. WHAT?!