Obsidian Unveils Project Eternity

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Obsidian Unveils Project Eternity

Obsidian's mystery RPG is called Project Eternity - and it's on Kickstarter.

The countdown is over and the truth stands revealed: The big secret Obsidian has been teasing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119528-Obsidian-Teases-a-New-RPG] all week is a brand-new fantasy RPG called (as a working title) Project Eternity. Isometric and party-based, the studio says it will pay homage to some of the great RPGs of old, like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. That's a pretty tall order, but one that's not necessarily out of reach: Planescape and Icewind Dale were both made by Obsidian's predecessor, Black Isle Studios.

"Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back," the game's Kickstarter page says. "Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur's Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment."

And yes, this is a Kickstarter project, with a goal of $1.1 million. The usual range of reward tiers for pledges from $5 to $10,000 are up, and so far things appear to be going well: The Kickstarter will be open until October 16 but has already notched up more than $250,000.

Obsidian is billing the game as very much in the vein of the classic, turn-of-the-millennium RPGs, with pausable real-time combat, a sprawling world map packed with unique locations, NPC companions who will join you on your travels and a deep story laden with complex and difficult choices. It sounds like RPG fan's dream come true, but as the studio noted, "It's been almost impossible to get funding through traditional methods for a game like this." Thus, the studio turned to the fans.

"We are asking for more than a lot of the other Kickstarter projects and that's because we are not only making a game, we are creating a whole new world," the Kickstarter page explains. "That means a new RPG system, entirely new art, new characters and animation and whole lot of lore and dialogue. We've also designed the game to have a flexible budget and scope, so if we reach our target budget goal, we have a list great stuff we can add into the mix through stretch goals. And additional money we raise will go straight into the game to add new levels, companions, NPCs, features, and even entirely new parts of the world which will add hours and hours to the adventure."

I'm compelled to remind everyone that Kickstarter projects should be approached with caution, and never with more money than you can afford to throw out the window of a moving car. There are no guarantees; your cash could end up financing a nice Bahamian vacation for someone, and even if a game is made and shipped as promised, it may just flat-out suck. Buyer beware and all that - which may be easier said than done when it's Chris Avellone, Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer with their hands held out.

obsidian.net [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity].

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009

*Gabanuka now sheds a single pure tear, which as we all know turn into jelly beans*

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
When I saw this I got so excited I started hiccuping. Then I pledged them right in the face!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I funded it already :p

That counter is going almost fast as the Ouya's was.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I'm going to say the same thing here I said in the other thread.

Obsidian has a bad habit of blaming their games' faults on their publishers.

With them publishing their own game this time around, it will be interesting to see who ends up being justified.

If the game turns out to be everything they promise, then they can say "I told you so"

If on the other hand it sucks/doesn't even get made (that is assuming the kickstart is successful in the first place) they can't hide behind the publisher.

While not interested in the game, per se, I am interested in what happens with it.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Kickstarter projects are starting to send up red flags for me.

I'll get properly excited once there's a product to be examined.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Isn't $1.1m WAY too little to make an even remotely half decent game? Especially to hold up to the previous games they mentioned.

Also I only just noticed its Planescape. I have been calling Planetscape forever.

Oct 30, 2010
Just include a better system than treadmill resting and I'm sold.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Crazy Zaul said:
Isn't $1.1m WAY too little to make an even remotely half decent game? Especially to hold up to the previous games they mentioned.
Kickstater funding is probably only part of the money they are using. That's usually the case with most Kickstarter games anyway.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
My pledge is in - and for those interested, GOG.com is having a sale on all the original Infinity Engine games this weekend (BG1&2, Icewind 1&2, Torment; they're going for about $4.00 each).

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Need... money...

Must... donate...

This is especially good to here so soon after Avellone expressed interest in a PS:T spiritual successor.

Although I hope the combat is balanced better than PS:T.

Crazy Zaul said:

Also I only just noticed its Planescape. I have been calling Planetscape forever.
Not necessarily. It's a tenth of the budget that The Witcher 2 and that had a whole new flashy engine. This isn't going to have all the voice acting or fancy graphics of that game; 2D games are nowhere near as expensive to produce as they once were.

Hell, old NES games had budgets in the tens of thousands, a dude in his bedroom can make those games now.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Crazy Zaul said:

As said, there'll likely be angel investors helping them out along with the Kickstarter. But also Obsidian know they'll probably be successful with this and do extremely well.

I've already pledged. I'm excited.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
A new isometric, pause-and-play RPG by Obsidian, the makers of KOTOR II, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind dale?

Excuse me while I clean the semen off of my keyboard, will you?

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Well I tend to curb my enthusiasm for stuff like this until there's actually a modicum of information for what it is, but it is pretty intriguing. Although part of me was hoping for another large and possibly original 3D RPG made by Obsidian, I figure overhead/isometric is as good as it can get considering everything. I grew up with isometric and as fun as it was, 3D roaming was a pretty big immersive improvement.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Fappy said:
I funded it already :p

That counter is going almost fast as the Ouya's was.
Same here. That $250 mark is sexy as hell and I may end up increasing mine to it. Just have to look at my budget...