Obsidian Unveils Project Eternity

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I like how some gamers are angry that Obsidian wont be making it for the console.

At least that is one game not geared to the console market.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
cidbahamut said:
Darknacht said:
But will it be more like Planescape 2 or just Icewind Dale III?
cidbahamut said:
I'd be absolutely livid if there was a Planescape 2.
Why? I would love a new game set in the Planescape setting.
Planescape: Torment was a self contained story and it ended where it needed to. If you want another game set in Sigil, sure go for it, but make it it's own game rather than pretending we're having a sequel to the greatest RPG PC game ever made.
Yeah, no one is saying someone should make Planescape: Torment 2, that would be bad. But, Planescape is a D&D setting so there is no reason that you would need to butcher what the first game did, it probably would not be called Planescape 2 it would be Planescape: *New Title*, Planescape 2 is just a place holder name.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Crazy Zaul said:
Isn't $1.1m WAY too little to make an even remotely half decent game? Especially to hold up to the previous games they mentioned.
As other people have said, they probably have other money to back that up.

But to add to that I would say:

Think about what it would be like to work without a publisher breathing down your neck saying, "Since we are publishing this and giving you money, we get a large say about what goes in it." A publisher would most likely steer them in different directions, and publishers sometimes steer developers into areas that cost more money because the publisher wants something extra to pull in revenue with something that "the kids are into these days". Usually said publisher is wrong, because most of their views on "kids these days" are wrong. They usually tend to forget that by looking at just the "kids these days" they are alienating half the demographic for gaming, considering that a good deal of kids that grew up with gaming are now not kids and are getting in their late twenties and even late thirties.

Think about what Obsidian could have done with KotOR 2 if they hadn't been hammered by Lucas Arts to finish in a year because LA wanted the game to be out by Christmas. In many respects, I would love KotOR 2 more than the first if it wasn't for the balls retarded ending. As we know, there was much more to that game, but because LA rushed it, it didn't get finished properly, and as we know, the community later helped put the rest of the game in with modding.

If I had the money, I would pitch in, but I doubt I will have the money by October.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
I have pledged far too much money to kickstarter games that reminded me of Obsidian's legacy to not plunk down for the collector box immediately. I didn't even get through the intro video. Maybe would have preferred if they'd been able to hold their water another six months or so. My bank balance certainly would have appreciated it. Nice of them to make it a nice long one though. Even if I did think I'd get a break from spending my internet hours refreshing another kickstarter page.

Good luck Obsidian! Woo!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Looks like it may be cool.
Will have to wait till they get some actual game info and screens up though.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Ishigami said:
Great I now know as much as before the announcement.
Therefore Obsidian gets 0 credits from me. Have a nice day and come back when you can showcase something.
J.E. Sawyer, who goes by the handle rope kid on the Something Awful forums, decided to post there in order explain why they didn't include more details about the setting.

rope kid said:
We'll be following up on this stuff in the near future. We did a lot of Kickstarter research and noticed that, when it comes to the pitch video and main KS page at least, there's a delicate time/information balance that works well. One of the reasons I made the blog updates I did earlier in the week was because I wanted folks to get the *~ vibe ~* of how we approach a) world-building in general and b) fantasy. If you haven't seen them, they're here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/3/entry-167-building-better-worlds/
http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/09/the-black-hound-what-its-deal-was.html

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It's looking like this will get funded within 24 hours, which is extra impressive given its relatively high (compared to other Kickstarter games) goal.

Fantastic.

Apr 5, 2008
I have to ask, is this going to be designed for console and ported to PC, or is it a PC game?
If it's the latter, I'll go donate right now.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
No! Bad Obsidian!

You could have made a game set literally anywhere, in any time period in any universe and you would get at LEAST a million dollars to make it from dedicated fans without telling them anything about it aside from the names of the team members. What do you make? Yet another fucking fantasy game.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Launched today and is already at nearly half its target.... I may help get them a little further.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I cannot believe some people pledge such huge amounts.... If I had $10,000 dollars spare I wouldn't spend it on that.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Chairman Miaow said:
I cannot believe some people pledge such huge amounts.... If I had $10,000 dollars spare I wouldn't spend it on that.
I would spend 10 grand to play Fiasco with those three easily. Throw on the additional swag- hell yes that's worth it.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Berenzen said:
Chairman Miaow said:
I would spend 10 grand to play Fiasco with those three easily. Throw on the additional swag- hell yes that's worth it.
Then I would say you are crazy. You can get a hell of a lot for that much money. Much more than a probably awkward game sitting around with a bunch of people you've never met, lots of copies of the same game and some random goodies you will probably look at once or twice and then tuck away safely forever.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
This may be the first Kickstarter I pledge money into. I know Obsidian are really nice people and their record speaks for itself. I might put £50 in when I get paid next, I'll have to look at the goodys first though.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Wow, almost halfway there. If they can get that much in less than a day I wonder if this will break the Kickstarter records?

I can certainly see it getting up there with Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Cool news but I am kind of surprised they are resorting to a Kickstarter for it. Did they burn through all the money they made on their other titles already?