Occupy protests in your area

Smagmuck_

Aug 25, 2009
There was one here in Yuma. The local PD shooed them away, no arrests made, no violence. Even though I did enjoy trolling the absolute shit out of them.

Feels good to be part of the "1%".

Seriously, if they had gotten their Major in something useful they wouldn't be complaining.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Well, there's a large camp based near city hall here in LA, but that's about it. They seem pretty peaceful, but I think it's mostly because they have a legit fear of the cops.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Yes, there's one in Vancouver (Canada). They've all taken up residency on the front lawn of our art gallery, un-ironically referred to as the "VAG" (sigh...)

They've created a sort of 'tent city' - I haven't been paying much attention to them. The whole thing seems hopelessly pointless and without direction; just a large, frustrated mass of individuals who have a grossly simplistic understanding of economics shouting about how 'these people have too much money' and how 'this isn't fair' and 'we want some of that money' and 'we're the 99%' and blah blah blah blah fucking BLAH.

Furthermore, they're Canadians. I mean, we (in general) have it way better than pretty much every other country on this planet - our economy, in comparison to the rest of the western world, barely felt the impact of the recession, and the disparity between rich and poor is relatively small when compared with the United States.

And they're talking about shutting down the tent city because someone almost od'd on heroin the other day...yep, really productive and proactive establishment you have there, occupiers.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Smagmuck_ said:
Seriously, if they had gotten their Major in something useful they wouldn't be complaining.
That attitude is almost as ignorant and willfully misinformed as the occupiers shouting about how their woes are solely a result of rich businessmen.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ParadiseOnceLost said:
RicoADF said:
Yes in Hyde Park last I heard, the police have been accused of police brutality, and well have been forced to stay back with all the cameras.
Are you talking about Hyde Park in Chicago because if you are there is one downtown in the financial district on Jackson Street, which is the closest one to me.
Errr no lol, Sydney Australia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park,_Sydney

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
There are two "camps" in my town that move around, mostly in the University area.

A few people have been arrested(mostly bandwagon anarchists), but our movement is so small that no riots could possibly break out. I'll probably learn more about it when I report it for my school newspaper.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Went to Occupy Sydney yesterday, interviewing people for one of my former Government lecturers (Social Change Politics).

All in all, I think Aussies don't really give much of a fuck. We're doing well, unemployment is low, and our politicians do actually appear concerned about what people think. Interesting how many people were there to show support for the international movement though.

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
SonicKoala said:
Yes, there's one in Vancouver (Canada). They've all taken up residency on the front lawn of our art gallery, un-ironically referred to as the "VAG" (sigh...)

They've created a sort of 'tent city' - I haven't been paying much attention to them. The whole thing seems hopelessly pointless and without direction; just a large, frustrated mass of individuals who have a grossly simplistic understanding of economics shouting about how 'these people have too much money' and how 'this isn't fair' and 'we want some of that money' and 'we're the 99%' and blah blah blah blah fucking BLAH.

Furthermore, they're Canadians. I mean, we (in general) have it way better than pretty much every other country on this planet - our economy, in comparison to the rest of the western world, barely felt the impact of the recession, and the disparity between rich and poor is relatively small when compared with the United States.

And they're talking about shutting down the tent city because someone almost od'd on heroin the other day...yep, really productive and proactive establishment you have there, occupiers.
You say things like this and then in the next post you tell someone that there own view on the issue is ignorant? Please understand the issues before you comment on them, otherwise you make yourself look foolish.

http://www.realnews24.com/

SquirePB

Apr 5, 2011
They were here in Melbourne, Australia but the police drove them out a while ago (I've not been following it cos I have exams to study for). I was in the city the other day though and they'd written in chalk on the footpaths that they were still protesting in the park so I went to check it out since it was on my way anyway. It looked like a few dozen hippies sitting on the grass chilling to me. A few had signs but pretty much everyone was ignoring them. I don't think they actually really understand what they're protesting.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
SonicKoala said:
Smagmuck_ said:
That attitude is almost as ignorant and willfully misinformed as the occupiers shouting about how their woes are solely a result of rich businessmen.
Agreed. No major is a magic bullet towards success, whether it be chemical engineering or fine arts, and anyone who says otherwise has spent too much time be force-fed "College is the only way!" by public schools.

Who you know, how ambitious you are, and how much real-world experience you have are bigger factors towards success than a $100,000 piece of paper.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
ranyilliams said:
You say things like this and then in the next post you tell someone that there own view on the issue is ignorant? Please understand the issues before you comment on them, otherwise you make yourself look foolish.

What on that website do you want me to read, exactly? And the post I responded to was ignorant - I was justified in pointing that out. And what I wrote in my initial post is a brief summary of what I've heard the Vancouver occupiers talking about. If there are more eloquent individuals elsewhere, then that's great. Like I said, I haven't exactly stayed on top of this.

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
SonicKoala said:
ranyilliams said:

What on that website do you want me to read, exactly? And the post I responded to was ignorant - I was justified in pointing that out. And what I wrote in my initial post is a brief summary of what I've heard the Vancouver occupiers talking about. If there are more eloquent individuals elsewhere, then that's great. Like I said, I haven't exactly stayed on top of this.
First of all i just want to say, thank you for actually wanting to get informed. I have found that trying to tell people about the truth of the system they live in is usually met with broad sweeping comments about "CONSPIRACY." This is to be expected, why would anyone want to accept they live underneath something that controls them...Before actually watching any of the video's on that website just try and think about it openly, most of what you hear wont make sense at first. But eventually you will begin to see the big picture.

The Goal of the Movement is to get corporate money out of politics, End the Federal reserve. AND stop the pointless, endless wars.

Invest some time, and try to watch some of the videos (some can be quite long but they are defiantly worth watching)

Try watching this video first, it will give you a GREAT starting point as to what these protests are fighting against :)

Sorry to kinda sas you in the last post, but it felt like you were being slightly hypocritical :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8_5HWqan4

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
ranyilliams said:
Sorry to kinda sas you in the last post, but it felt like you were being slightly hypocritical :p
Quite alright - I can see how you may get that impression, my initial post did seem a tad hostile :x

And thanks for the link to the news website - I'll be sure to check out its content when I have the time. I already watched the youtube video; honestly, I'm not one to embrace any sort of 'conspiracy', but elaborating on and discussing the profound impact the corporate world has on global politics is the furthest thing from a conspiracy - it's about as factual as one can get, and anyone who suggests otherwise is kidding themselves.

Deathbagel

Apr 25, 2011
Death God said:
My state is rather quite (to the best of my knowledge) so nope. It is all cool here in Washington state. Then again, nothing fun or exciting or even news worthy tends to happen here anyways so I doubt as if it will now.
Well if you're talking about more rural Washington then yeah I guess not a lot it going on. But in the Seattle area (which is where I live) there's a very large occupy protest going down. I haven't seen numbers on the number of actual protesters but I'd guess a few hundred and going strong. Not a ton has happened down there but its going strong and staying very peaceful. Only conflict was when people tried to stay in a park police were raiding (to be fair as second but shitty location was offered them) and a few dozen were arrested.

http://occupyseattle.org/

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
There was an Occupy Fresno but there was only like twelve people and the cops just said "Get out"

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
There was one here, but I heard they are being forced to disban soon because a group of them robbed a starbucks and are ruining the plaza.

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
SonicKoala said:
ranyilliams said:
Quite alright - I can see how you may get that impression, my initial post did seem a tad hostile :x

And thanks for the link to the news website - I'll be sure to check out its content when I have the time. I already watched the youtube video; honestly, I'm not one to embrace any sort of 'conspiracy', but elaborating on and discussing the profound impact the corporate world has on global politics is the furthest thing from a conspiracy - it's about as factual as one can get, and anyone who suggests otherwise is kidding themselves.
Now see you understand the interests of the corporate world. They own enough wealth that they have power over governments. Even us in canada (YES I AM ALSO CANADIAN! BOO YA! WE RULE!) Our banking systems and corporate interest groups are just as involved in politics. The difference is, they have disposable income to spend on the ad campaigns for politicians that have similar interests to the corporations we are fighting against.

The real problem is, since they do own most of the wealth, they also have a say of what happens in the media. unfortunately for us that means we are painted as hippies, anarchists, and drug-addicts while in reality most are just intelligent informed baby boomers. The internet has presented itself as what will change the world, it connects us all, and with it we can change the world.

If you are thinking freely you are winning

Question ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING! even what i have told you, research it yourself. truths that you discover on your own will change you more then any words i could ever say to you would.

You have honestly discovered what is behind a curtain that you didn't even know existed. But its amazing, because there are millions of people all around the world RIGHT NOW! trying to change it.

Thanks for all your time reading, let me know if you have ANY questions, ill try and answer them (and also stay un-bias) (very difficult :p )

OpiateChicken

Jul 2, 2009
Here in Vancouver, the Occupy thing was going on in front of the art gallery, but there have been reports of rat infestations and some guy overdosed on heroin a few days ago. Fire and Rescue chiefs said that if it doesn't get taken down in the next few days, they're just gonna take it down themselves.

Also it forced the Santa Claus parade to be re-routed and the mayor who's running for election was shitting bricks because he was too much of a pussy to do anything about it.

I'm glad it's over. Nobody was doing anything different because of it except getting pissed off that hobos have tents in front of an art gallery.