Occupy protests in your area

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
London. I walked down there last week and the protestors don;t have a unified goal, they're just simply there because they can be. I have no sympathy with them.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
What I find funny about these Occupy Wall Street protesters is that they seem to be ignoring how well off America is despite the global recession. Here they are with a roof over their heads and food in their bellies, and maybe if they are lucky they have a gadget or two like a computer or an iPhone. The average American walks through their streets in relative safety, go to their jobs or to school to get an education, enjoy civil liberties other countries could only dream of having, go to the shopping malls and super markets, and spend time with our loved ones everyday. People in places like Africa, and some parts of the Middle East and Asia? The people in those countries are poor as dirt and are starving, some of them are also occupied in civil wars and are controlled by oppressive governments.

America is the richest country on Earth (on average our markets make about 14 trillion dollars a year, our Military alone spends more money on National Defense than every other Military combined for perspective) and still has a high standard of living even compared to most of the world. A recession happened, Capitalism required that the free market buy and trade certain things at high levels of risk and reward and we are paying the price, and we as a nation and as a civilization are slightly inconvenienced and it certainly isn't like America is going anywhere. The markets will pick up again and we will become prosperous again and everything will be alright.

Now of course there was corruption in the markets and the government of the United States but this isn't the end of the world. These protestors aren't going to make much of a difference and would ironically enough not be helping matters by blocking an institution of trade and commerce that makes money for our economy, our country would become marginally poorer if they were to block Wall Street. If they want a change of policy these people need to be going to Congress, the White House, or their Governors, those are the people that are influential enough to change the laws that affects our society and markets. Aren't we supposed to be a Democracy, what happened to the legal process and seeking out our representatives in government?

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I went to the one closest to me at St Paul's in London. I think they're getting unfairly scapegoated with a lot of things by the media

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
That_Sneaky_Camper said:
What I find funny about these Occupy Wall Street protesters is that they seem to be ignoring how well off America is despite the global recession. Here they are with a roof over their heads and food in their bellies, and maybe if they are lucky they have a gadget or two like a computer or an iPhone. The average American walks through their streets in relative safety, go to their jobs or to school to get an education, enjoy civil liberties other countries could only dream of having, go to the shopping malls and super markets, and spend time with our loved ones everyday. People in places like Africa, and some parts of the Middle East and Asia? The people in those countries are poor as dirt and are starving, some of them are also occupied in civil wars and are controlled by oppressive governments.

America is the richest country on Earth (on average our markets make about 14 trillion dollars a year, our Military alone spends more money on National Defense than every other Military combined for perspective) and still has a high standard of living even compared to most of the world. A recession happened, Capitalism required that the free market buy and trade certain things at high levels of risk and reward and we are paying the price, and we as a nation and as a civilization are slightly inconvenienced and it certainly isn't like America is going anywhere. The markets will pick up again and we will become prosperous again and everything will be alright.

Now of course there was corruption in the markets and the government of the United States but this isn't the end of the world. These protestors aren't going to make much of a difference and would ironically enough not be helping matters by blocking an institution of trade and commerce that makes money for our economy, our country would become marginally poorer if they were to block Wall Street. If they want a change of policy these people need to be going to Congress, the White House, or their Governors, those are the people that are influential enough to change the laws that affects our society and markets. Aren't we supposed to be a Democracy, what happened to the legal process and seeking out our representatives in government?
Democracy isn't about seeking out representatives in government. And that wouldn't even work, the protests are against the government, why would the government help them?

Democracy is about the people having a voice, being able to control their country. The occupiers are using their rights to voice their views. That is democracy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That_Sneaky_Camper said:
While that is true (at least for the most part, even in wealthy countries, some people are still utterly fucked), third world countries should not be taken as the yardstick by which nations are judged. People in places like the US should be able to take many things for granted.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
There was a protest in the small town across from me. Last I heard it was three people large.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
London has one I think. I can understand why they're doing it, but the movement is a quarter honest protesters and three quarters complete idiots.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
orangeban said:
Democracy isn't about seeking out representatives in government. And that wouldn't even work, the protests are against the government, why would the government help them?

Democracy is about the people having a voice, being able to control their country. The occupiers are using their rights to voice their views. That is democracy.
Wikipedia said:
Democracy is generally defined as a form of government in which all the people have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Ideally, this includes equal (and more or less direct) participation in the proposal, development and passage of legislation into law.
Dictionary said:
Government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
According to the definition democracy implies that our voice is heard through the elected officials that we put into power. We elect people that will do what we want them to do for our economy and society as a whole, if they don't do what we want then we need to tell them and make sure not to elect them next time it comes to vote. These government officials are making decisions about our lives and we need to inform them of how we want our lives to be.

You wanna know what Wall Street is? The main financial district for the United States of America, this is a protest against the market of the United States because that is where the major market decisions for our country are made. If they wanted to protest the government they should have parked outside in front of the White House or Congress.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
There is one in my town and the protests are going pretty calmly, with consent of the police.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
That_Sneaky_Camper said:
orangeban said:

Wikipedia said:
Democracy is generally defined as a form of government in which all the people have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Ideally, this includes equal (and more or less direct) participation in the proposal, development and passage of legislation into law.
Dictionary said:
Government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
According to the definition democracy implies that our voice is heard through the elected officials that we put into power. We elect people that will do what we want them to do for our economy and society as a whole, if they don't do what we want then we need to tell them and make sure not to elect them next time it comes to vote. These government officials are making decisions about our lives and we need to inform them of how we want our lives to be.

You wanna know what Wall Street is? The main financial district for the United States of America, this is a protest against the market of the United States because that is where the major market decisions for our country are made. If they wanted to protest the government they should have parked outside in front of the White House or Congress.
Well, they're protesting against both the market and the government. I don't really see your point, just because they aren't right outside the government's door, doesn't mean the government will ignore them.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Kinda funny that a community that likes to make out like they're a bunch of freedom and equality loving libertarians speaking out against the Occupy protests.

There's one in my local city, Ive not taken part yet.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
ultimateownage said:
the movement is a quarter honest protesters and three quarters complete idiots.
Isn't this sadly becoming the norm with most demonstrations and protests now though? They always get hijacked by nutters and the real message gets lost.

OT: A handful of people, about 5 I think, tried it in my town but they were gradually ignored and laughed away throughout the day.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Redlin5 said:
Are there any near you? There is one in the city close to the town I live in but its likely going to be disbanded due to snow/homeless people taking over the camp. It did move to a new location but I don't see it going that long. So far the police haven't really had to deal with them although recently fires were banned.

Any round your parts? Any violence or is it peaceful?
Can you please tell me what "Occupy" is about? From what I gathered it is just a bunch of old Hippies and "Hipsters" (God I hate them, more so than the hippies). While the Hippies apparently want to change something, at least from what I gathered, the Hipsters are just doing it for the Irony or something of that sort.

Was my evaluation correct or am I far off the mark?

Please explain :D
What it is people have finally got sick of a system that favours the rich, and evaluates worth on financial income. So they're making a stand.

Nov 7, 2009
There's one called Occupy Dame Street here in Ireland, and it's on the Central Bank, which is where all the scene kids hang out, so now that they've been booted out by all the baldies and crusties they're just walking listlessly up and down the road opposite it. They don't know what to do. ;D

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
There's a small one here in Calgary.

But I heard that it will probably be shutting down due to weather/cops.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
orangeban explained it pretty well although I find it disorganized and a bit fractured. There are also people just using it as an excuse to spout radical ideas rather than protest the economic system.

As for its goals? Don't look at me, I don't speak for them.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Smagmuck_ said:
I also plan on studying either Majoring in EngineeringIf I can wrap my head around Algebra or in Information Technologies.
You don't understand Algebra but you want to go into engineering?

I'm a math wiz, but I'm studying a liberal arts degree. It's not about the job prospects, because to be honest, there are none for any degree. It's about what I learn. How after I graduate I will be able to talk to anyone about anything. How I can better understand the western world. Infinitely more interesting than engineering. (This coming from a former engineering student)

"What was your occupation before deciding to protest?"
"I didn't have a job, I've been on Welfare since I moved out."
I seriously doubt this. Many of my classmates have jobs, but they still have to get food stamps just so they can eat. Doesn't mean they're not trying.

ETA: Yea I go down to Occupy Chicago every once and a while. There are some really smart people down there, and a lot of really, really, nice people.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i'm planning on making a shirt that says:
'Occupy:

My Pants.'
then theres an arrow pointing down.
then selling it to protestors.
if i find a protest nearby... are there any in Central Scotland?