Occupy protests in your area

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
In my area? Nope, just lots of red necks and conservatives. There was bleeding heart idiots out protesting the tuition fees here but the fact that I'm at a private university and they could easily choose to go somewhere else cheaper kind of blows a hole in their argument.
Ha. I love that. My fiance goes to a private university and pays a ton in fees. Some of her classmates complain that fees are going up and that's the same argument I make, that they could go somewhere else.

Now at my school (state University) it's a different story because they've raised tuition on us I'd say over 10 times since I entered for my BA in 06...

If anything this is one of the major reasons I participate in OWS protests. The rates for everything are skyrocketing and wages/jobs are either stagnant or non-existent

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
WeAreStevo said:
I haven't had a chance to make it out to Occupy SF but lately I've been hearing.....stories.....
I wouldn't bother, the stories I've heard of Occupy Oakland blow SF out of the water. Lame and boring are the only ways to describe this one.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Tsaba said:
WeAreStevo said:
When is Oakland not protesting something that turns violent because of that small screwed up group that seems to plague anything people try to accomplish there?

OT: Savannah, I think there was, but, haven't heard anything about them.
Dude. Seriously.

That seems to be my cities MO.

People who were speaking at the protest were even bringing up that point. So many people said "we need to keep the violence at a minimum. No protester should tempt OPD into cracking down on us, because trust me, they want to."

And wouldn't you know a few hours later....

I hate those stupid wannabe anarchists. They come from the richer cities and run around going "LOLOLOLOL I'm destroying things HURRRRR!"

Assholes...

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Gennadios said:
WeAreStevo said:
I haven't had a chance to make it out to Occupy SF but lately I've been hearing.....stories.....
I wouldn't bother, the stories I've heard of Occupy Oakland blow SF out of the water. Lame and boring are the only ways to describe this one.
O RLY?

I heard accusations of racism on the part of the protesters and that some of them beat a homeless woman.

Then again the news source was severely biased...

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
WeAreStevo said:
Dude. Seriously.

That seems to be my cities MO.

snip

Assholes...
That's been your cities MO for like the past couple of decades, it's really sad.
It's like:
"oh look, Oakland has protesters and they got violent again"
"should we listen to what they have to say?"
"Why, they'll just do it again in a year or two, who cares"
"your right, what was I thinking."

EDIT: I can do nothing but agree with you that the majority is legit, but, it's like everything else in the world, they are getting painted for the shit that those scumbags are doing, and it seems that there are a lot of those scumbags, especially in Oakland.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Well I do live in the suburbs of New York City, so yes, although no one outside of the city really cares.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
WeAreStevo said:
O RLY?

I heard accusations of racism on the part of the protesters and that some of them beat a homeless woman.
Arrest made, or it didn't happen.

Homeless woman in question lived in the area before the occupiers moved in, I doubt she was too fond of them to begin with.

Not to seem insensitive or anything, but SF homeless... well... they're good at fishing for sympathy. Not saying that I'm 100% sure there wasn't an altercation, but I doubt even white supremacists would stoop as low as smearing feces during an assault. Anyone's guess how it got there.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
There's one in phoenix. I hate all of those punks now though, they made me 30 minutes late to a delivery so i didn't recieve a tip for doing it. I was rather angry.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
There is a small, somewhat sad one in my home of Regina, Saskatchewan. City Hall has given them the go ahead as long as they keep it peaceful and quiet. In reality though, we've had an unusually mild fall so far. So, once the real cold comes, they won't last very long.

On top of all that, a support protest in Regina seems a little try hard to me. It's a very nice little city, but very far removed from the centers of power and influence so to speak.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
There's one in Medford Oregon, but not only does it only have a small group of people but it's only hurting small, family-owned businesses instead of the big businesses it's supposed to go after. I've seen on the news that there are a few local shops who are having to either take loans to stay afloat or are thinking of selling their stores because the protests are driving away customers.

There's also one in Ashland Oregon, which is somewhat close to where I live, but from what I've heard it's essentially the same story but to a larger degree. Another one is in the town I grew up in, Portland Oregon, which is much larger. However I heard from some friends that they might start losing momentum cause they keep trying to camp in a park that doesn't allow camping, which is stupid cause there's two parks kind of nearby to where they're protesting that would allow them to camp there...

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
There's a big one up in Phoenix, which is close. When I get time I intend to join them. No violence as far as I've heard.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
There was one in Canberra, but I have no idea why. Our income rate is higher than the national average and our unemployment is lower. I really don't understand what they are complaining about, I know plumbers who make $50,000 a year and live quite happily.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
There is, but I'm in a rural college town. It's mostly people signing stuff. There's nothing to occupy here.

ParadiseOnceLost

Jan 26, 2010
RicoADF said:
Yes in Hyde Park last I heard, the police have been accused of police brutality, and well have been forced to stay back with all the cameras.
Are you talking about Hyde Park in Chicago because if you are there is one downtown in the financial district on Jackson Street, which is the closest one to me.

wolfister

Oct 20, 2008
Yes there is one down here in Dallas, TX. A few of the protesters have already been arrested for keeping people from being able to get into one of the bank buildings.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
There were a few Occupy Protests in Brisbane.... but they never got larger than about 15 people. There were quite large protests in Sydney and Melbourne - these were entirely peaceful, except at the end when the police clashed with the protesters. The protesters didn't directly start it, but they also knowingly performed actions that they knew would provoke a police response. That's not to say that I agree with what the police did entirely, but let's be honest: more than a few of these protesters WANT to fight with the police, so they can feel like a noble "oppressed" minority (which is a right laugh since most of them are white middle-class college students).

On the whole, the protesters have regained some of my respect for them. They've stuck to their word and the vast majority have been peaceful. Obstructionist, but peaceful. There were a few ugly scenes in Oregon and some places in the US, with hard-core anarchists and black-block protesters using the demonstrations as an excuse to smash stuff up... but they're a minority.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
No, because people in my area have actual jobs no matter how shitty they are or something else to do to occupy their time other than camp out like wanna be boy scouts in the local park.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
There isn't much here in Columbus Ohio. Which isn't saying much because its fucking ohio. No ones does anything here.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
It was a total joke with only 10 people until the news got all up on it and now it's over 100 people crammed into a tiny city park.