Ocean Marketing vs. Penny Arcade

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
He sounds like he is about 18 or something seriously...I hope Penny Arcade take them apart.
I can see that Dave got irate but the customer service/PR guy was acting really unprofessional.

I want to see his face when he checked Penny Arcade...and how fast his boss will fire his ass out the door rofl.

Edit: He is the boss? So much for your PR company you can't even handle your OWN PR hahahaha.

Ronin08

Nov 18, 2009
This is the best thing to happen to the internet this week. That's really all I can add at this point.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
The PR guy sounded extremely arrogant. Yes it is rather bad having to deal with irate customers. However, there was a reason he got frustrated, and customers are under no obligation to act professional.

Sure, dave wasn't being the most polite person in the world, but the person who was responding to him was being very vague. It doesn't matter if the correct information is somewhere else. That first email response should have been where the conversation ended.

Also... I found the "smear campaign" threat rather funny. I have a good feeling that it will only make ocean marketing look even worse.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I dunno really. While, yes, I do think he acted unprofessionally.

Can you imagine how pissed off the guy would be at this stage? This likely isn't just one random email he's received, at this stage, he's likely got an email from most of the people who were ordering the controllers.

Each one asking in a variety of anger as to when their order will be here, and it's his job to answer each one as delicately and responsibly as possible. All the while due to unforeseen situations, the whole stock isn't delivered by the date he set and the company is likely losing money.

So, basically, what's happening here, is a guy who has a complaint is pushing it slightly and in response the guy is snapping.

Unprofessional, yeah, but, it's kinda sad to think that this guy is likely to be out of a job due to this.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
From what I've seen, this guy is probably already fired. In all PR, no matter what sector, the second you have something like this crop up on the internet with your name tarnished all over it, you're fired. Now his big mouth is hushed and I bet he'll have to sell that little Rice Rocket, or whatever you call it, to pay the bills. Idiot is Idiot.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
Whenever anyone feels the need to proclaim how important or awesome they are with that level of attitude, they need to get checked by others so they can learn some humility. Now, I'm not saying this has to be done in a negative manner. Sometimes a friend can just step in and say "Dude, cool it" and it is over. But this guy? Geez.

Truly important people don't need to brag or show off. Compare a world leader to someone like Trump. World leaders don't go around saying things like "I'm the president, b****! Recognize!" or other things like that. Trump, on the other hand, says everything he does is amazing or great, but look at his record and you'll see how silly that is.

While Dave might have not taken the best actions in his response, Mr. Ocean Marketing is way more offensive. The bottom line is this: He is selling his product to the community, but he could give two s***s about the community. We're just a source of revenue for him and he feels that entitles him to be a jerk to us. Would you give your money to this guy after seeing this chain? No chance.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Revolutionaryloser said:
He was pretty shit at his job. He could have just told the truth that there are serious complications and setting a release date is impossible, intead he went for the less proffesional approach of "LOLOLOLOLOL n00bz, your tears of rage fuel my buttownage! Good Luck, I'm Behind 7 Proxies. U MAD coz I got you told? U MAD?". I don't think someone who acts like that in front of a customer deserves his job, considering a lot of people could do it much better.
Yeah, he acted pretty unprofessionally, but, I imagine a lot of people would with stuff like that going on around this time of year.

Not that it's any excuse, but, just kinda sad to think about!

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009

The controller is also currently being amazon-bombed, IGN have tweeted that the guy is unprofessional and they want nothing to do with him and lots of other lovely little additions to the drama.

MJpopcorn.gif

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
YeOldeMoose said:
Sure that Dave guy wasn't exactly the most professional about all of this, but we should remember 2 things. First, he had given this company his money for a product that he wasn't getting and that there was no update on for two weeks. To him it was more or less like they just stole the money from him. Also, he isn't the PR manager here. He doesn't have to be professional. He is the customer, and if he isn't happy, he is allowed to make a scene about it. If your customer isn't happy, the company isn't doing its job correctly.
Indeed, The corrispondance would have been the normal disgrunteled consumer to simple employee, but once the PR guy started downgrading in language and manners, that changed everything. I had a short stint in retail, and one of the first things the manager told me was, "By the way, you probably dont want to wear a tie, as it will get irritating after a while..."

Than he said, " Also, make sure that no matter how much of an ass a customer is, you be curtious to them... and make sure to signal to one of the other employees to get mall security if they really get out of hand..." (the bold part is whats important.)

Doesnt matter how Dave acted, for as a Paid customer, he had everyright to be upset for the service he was getting.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
The Lunatic said:
I dunno really. While, yes, I do think he acted unprofessionally.

Can you imagine how pissed off the guy would be at this stage? This likely isn't just one random email he's received, at this stage, he's likely got an email from most of the people who were ordering the controllers.

Each one asking in a variety of anger as to when their order will be here, and it's his job to answer each one as delicately and responsibly as possible. All the while due to unforeseen situations, the whole stock isn't delivered by the date he set and the company is likely losing money.

So, basically, what's happening here, is a guy who has a complaint is pushing it slightly and in response the guy is snapping.

Unprofessional, yeah, but, it's kinda sad to think that this guy is likely to be out of a job due to this.
well if you are bad at your job which includes customer service and stress tolerance ...
it wasn't even in person or on the phone, where you could maybe possibly cut him a little slack, no, he typed out a very unprofessional email and pressed send.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
He was pretty shit at his job. He could have just told the truth that there are serious complications and setting a release date is impossible, intead he went for the less proffesional approach of "LOLOLOLOLOL n00bz, your tears of rage fuel my buttownage! Good Luck, I'm Behind 7 Proxies. U MAD coz I got you told? U MAD?". I don't think someone who acts like that in front of a customer deserves his job, considering a lot of people could do it much better.
Yeah, he acted pretty unprofessionally, but, I imagine a lot of people would with stuff like that going on around this time of year.

Not that it's any excuse, but, just kinda sad to think about!
It is sad to think about but see here is why (for me, of coarse) it didn't stick as truly "sad"

The guy is supposedly some big shot who has worked at this for a long time, if he can't at least be professional then he is obviously not fit for the job. Not to mention if he has all the experience he should understand what to expect from holiday shopping seasons.

OT: Guys a dick. When Mike laid it on him that he was the person who ran PAX I couldn't stop loling

EDIT: You know whats even worse? The guy isn't doing damage control at all. He needs to come to grips that he fucked up, and needs to start saying he is sorry.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ms_sunlight said:
That Dave guy was a total dickhead though. Did he have a legitimate complaint? Certainly he did. He was still incredibly rude in his complaint email, and given all the swearwords, posturing and abuse I'm not surprised that the OceanMarketing guy thought it was a sockpuppet "Mike Krahulik" responding to him.
Id be pretty mad too if I got a condescending email like the one before he started getting pissed.

Schuldrich

Jan 16, 2010
The people who are actually making the controller really need to start damage control. It's sad to realize most people who read this story will think the company itself is being unprofessional, when it's (oh the irony) the public relations firm they hired. I would hate to see this new controller bomb because one guy couldn't keep his cool. The best decision would be to immediately cut ties with Ocean Marketing.

Brian Crecente (from Kotaku) has already said he doesn't know who the guy is and that he doesn't have their support.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Do note that the people that makes the controller are not Ocean Marketing and it´s a wonderful controller(from my understanding) for people that got disabilities.

Also I found this very funny:
Scott Lowe:"Paul Christoforo's claims that he has my and @IGN's support are UNFOUNDED. I worked with him briefly and he was completely unprofessional."
Kevin Kelly:"@ScottLowe @IGN Ditto for me and @g4tv"