Ocean's Eleven female spin-off

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
KissingSunlight said:
I was being snarky. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they impose an actress over the number 8 in the movie trailer.
Firstly, imposing a woman over the number 8 sounds very Bond
Secondly, I'm usually the last to admit fault and the first to be snarky, but I think I should apologize for my counter-snark.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
They're actually making this? Yay..?

I remember enjoying the original and don't remember if I even saw the second one. Was there a third? Why make this movie at all? Even with the original cast returning. This seems like a bad idea. What is the point?

Trick question. I know the point. To use name recognition to get people interested in the film. Making it an all female cast means they score points for being "unique".

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this. Not that I would be looking forward to a new movie with Clooney and the cast, either. I'll wait for a trailer to cast judgement, but I don't have high expectations. Probably won't see it, even if the trailer looks amazing. I've already seen Ocean's Eleven. Genderswapping adds nothing of value.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Seems like a bad idea. I mean, even the original wasn't that good. As much as people tout 'chemistry' of the actors in the remake, it just feels like it's awkward more than anything. Anybody that tells me anybody but Clooney and Pitt had chemistry, show me. Hell, if it had just been those two performing a heist, it would have been better.

Not only that, but Danny Ocean is the biggest pile of shit out there. I remember the opening scene of the second movie due to channel surfing ... I don't mind Clooney. I don't think he's a bad actor. I think he was great in numerous other movies. So I thought I'd give the second movie a chance. And the very first thing his character really does just makes me want to go; "Yeah, it was better when he at least tries to be likeable or quirky. Not purposefully a piece of shit."

His wife rings up, she's about to be molested by her ex and some hired goons. And he fucking runs. So the only context I can get from this is she's meant to ring him up SO THAT HE CAN RUN AWAY. I mean, what else can you take from that scene? Basically; "Hi ... don't try to escape when you see him. Don't try to hide. Stand in the fucking living room, spend precious minutes ringing me up. Just so that I can escape while you essentially distract the goons and act as my diplomashield..." What a fucking douchebag. And it makes no sense whatsoever.

What is the point of that cute, little covert message?

Why would you say such a thing?

Couldn't you use a mobile to send a text after you vault over the backyard fence?

So I don't understand why you want to capitalise on the namesake of these movies ... the characters are just awful human beings. Broken, psychopathic, stupid (yes, half of them seem fucking stupid) ... the movie portrays them as if these clever souls and for the life of me, I can't see how any outsider could say; "Oh yeah, definitely professionals..."

Why not just make a new movie involving a heist? It's not like heist movies are so saturated that you couldn't market yourself as something in the same vein as Ocean's without having to tie yourself to that pile of shit franchise.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Now, I don't know if this film is going to be any good; I don't watch any of the Ocean Films. However, as long as the Director isn't a petulant man-child that responds to any and all criticisms with "You sexist pigs suck! If you don't watch this movie then you're woman hating scum!", this will be leagues above the Ghostbusters reboot.

Ihateregistering1 said:
Also, apparently one of the cast members is some rapper named "Awkwafina", which may be the most hilarious rap name I've ever heard.
That is both hilarious and fitting for this movie! Maybe if the reviews are good, then I'd watch it just to see who this Awkwafina rapper is.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
KissingSunlight said:
Since no one else asked, I will. Why eight? Is it because the traditional shape of a woman is the figure 8?

The main appeal of the Ocean's movies are the chemistry of the actors who are friends with each other in real life. Right off the bat, this new cast missed the point of the IP that they are going to remake. I am not going to claim that it can't be a good movie. The rationale for the casting is the same one that had for Ghostbusters. It's a pointless gimmick to get people talking about it both positively and negatively.
Trilogy. First trilogy was 11, 12, 13. Started with 11 cuz that was the number of folks doing the heist. A new movie after a decade would want to call back to that. 14 would be too expensive/unweildy a cast for a first movie. Ergo, they'll start now with 8, with the hope of a 9 and 10 down the road.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Okay, the next in line to crash and burn horribly. Just line up, there are enough movies and games doing the same right now.

Another 20 bucks i save, that's also nice.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Well Anne Hathaway is cool. Still, I doubt I'll watch it. I saw the Ocean's 11 remake back in... whenever it was released? I wanna guess 1999 or something but that's probably not right.

Then I didn't bother with the next two.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Wintermute said:
Well Anne Hathaway is cool. Still, I doubt I'll watch it. I saw the Ocean's 11 remake back in... whenever it was released? I wanna guess 1999 or something but that's probably not right.

Then I didn't bother with the next two.
You are off by about two years, 2001, at first I recalled it being earlier as well, no idea why, perhaps it's because old school con movies are just a thing of the past, and I'm talking about the con movies that doesn't rely on unrealistic physics or flashy gimmicks, looking at you Now You See Me 2.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
honestly, if i were a woman being eyed for this film i would steer clear just to avoid the inevitable backlash... it just isnt worth it.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Not bad of a cast.... LOL RHIANNA. Never mind everything I said.

But really... I don't see any reason why it couldn't work. I remember that I really enjoyed the South Park's spoof of Ocean's 11 and 2008 Presidential Election between Obama and McCain. So if anything, I hope they do something similar there.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bobular said:
Has Ghostbusters taught them nothing? I wouldn't mind a female lead, I wouldn't mind a majority female cast, but an all female cast just screams 'look at me, I'm being progressive'.
Why? Hundreds upon hundreds of films have all-male casts of protagonists, and nobody bats an eyelid!

There's no problem inherent in the concept. Issues (might) arise in execution, which seems to be what happened in Ghostbusters.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Silvanus said:
Bobular said:
Has Ghostbusters taught them nothing? I wouldn't mind a female lead, I wouldn't mind a majority female cast, but an all female cast just screams 'look at me, I'm being progressive'.
Why? Hundreds upon hundreds of films have all-male casts of protagonists, and nobody bats an eyelid!

There's no problem inherent in the concept. Issues (might) arise in execution, which seems to be what happened in Ghostbusters.
I actually said that its the same problem as if they had an all male cast

Bobular said:
With eight main cast and not a single male there is no excuse it just seems to be sexism the other way, an all female cast is no better than an all male cast they are both just different sides of the same coin.
And I believe these days an all male cast would cause outcry, especially when you have 8 main cast members (though unfortunately it wouldn't be as much as an all female cast will generate). As I said I wouldn't mind if it was a mostly female cast, say 5 or 6 of the 8, but this just seems to go too far the other way and comes back out as being sexist again. Whether the movie will actually be entertaining is another matter but I'll reserve judgment on that until I see a trailer or two.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bobular said:
I actually said that its the same problem as if they had an all male cast
Aye, but ascribe rather different motivations in both cases, which is what I'm questioning.

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
If they're respectful to the franchise and it's fanbase I don't see a problem there. That was the problem with Ghostbusters. They did almost everything they could to alienate fanbase of the franchise. Of course it failed.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Vykrel said:
honestly, if i were a woman being eyed for this film i would steer clear just to avoid the inevitable backlash... it just isnt worth it.
Doubt there's gonna be much backlash here. Putting aside the fact that the Ocean's movies weren't cultural icons and don't have much weight at all to their names (Two shitastic sequels will do that), there's also the fact that this is a spinoff and NOT a reboot.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Metalix Knightmare said:
Vykrel said:
Doubt there's gonna be much backlash here. Putting aside the fact that the Ocean's movies weren't cultural icons and don't have much weight at all to their names (Two shitastic sequels will do that), there's also the fact that this is a spinoff and NOT a reboot.
i dont think the guys responsible for these ridiculous controversies are going to take any of that into account. they probably dont even know that Soderbergh's Ocean's Eleven was a remake.

maybe im wrong, but i can totally see the first teaser/trailer for this film getting like 50% dislikes regardless of whether or not it looks bad.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Vykrel said:
i dont think the guys responsible for these ridiculous controversies are going to take any of that into account.
Wait, Paul Feig, Amy Pascal, and Melissa Mccarthy are gonna be involved with this movie?