Oculus Thrift

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Lucky me!
I live in Holland, where the actual Dukats were made and used!
Pure, golden coins... Just 600, what a bargain!

Really listen to these lyrics (from like 1996): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlv672jqbtE
And YES, the Vengaboys where also Dutch!!! We have ALLLL the good stuff!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That is one sturdy cardboard box if it didn't crumble under the rain!

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Jadak said:
snip (vr desktops)
I never even thought about using that thing for virtual desktops. I really like that idea, although as someone prone to being jumpy I can't help but wonder how I'd look at the office screaming in fear at a sudden pop-up.

I think I'd like to try that out with good software to back it up.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
Jadak said:
snip (vr desktops)
I never even thought about using that thing for virtual desktops. I really like that idea, although as someone prone to being jumpy I can't help but wonder how I'd look at the office screaming in fear at a sudden pop-up.

I think I'd like to try that out with good software to back it up.
Speaking of virtual desktops and bringing this back to gaming, it's hardly something you'd go out and by a VR headset for but if you already have one I think it would be cool to play a turn based strategy game like Civilization with it. Give you a real 'god' view of the game board while you crush Gandhi would be a nice novelty.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
I laughed, but then felt quite sad ... it really says something when you're doing this in a cardboard box, out in the rain lol.
She could of at least did this indoors, in her house or in the basement. It's better than, this ... *thefeelsarestrong*
She probably stopped paying her part of the rent to afford it. Who knows?

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Lucky me!
I live in Holland, where the actual Dukats were made and used!
Pure, golden coins... Just 600, what a bargain!

Really listen to these lyrics (from like 1996): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlv672jqbtE
And YES, the Vengaboys where also Dutch!!! We have ALLLL the good stuff!
How many ducats does a polder cost? For comparison.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
for us australians with postage you are looking at close to $1200 AUD and when i checked the list of compatible games.. well i like eurotruck simulator 2 but not enough to spend basically $300 extra to enjoy it in VR for example.

guess ill wait to see what valve do with the vive and the requirements, i need a new graphics card anyhow if i go VR

Freedom153

Sep 29, 2009
"can you put a price on a man's waifu?"

Yes - however much the hitman charges.

In all seriousness, Oculus Rift + World of Warcraft = every stereotype about WoW ever being fulfilled. Or for that matter, Total War - you'd be a king/emperor/sultan in that. WoW, you're just some random dude who dies a lot.

But with that kind of price tag, unless life's already been pretty good to you, you won't be getting it.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
IceForce said:
I still can't shake the feeling that this is going to be another of those fly-by-night gimmicks that fades into obscurity not long after launch. Like 3D TV.
3d TVs really haven't gone away. From what I've seen at Best Buy, companies still put out new models, and there's an 12 foot section of the movie space dedicated to 3d movies. (That's bigger than the anime section). I think it's a case of people deciding to upgrade their TV and figuring "might as well get the fancy one".
OT: I could buy a new TV AND console for the price of an Occulus Rift. That's absurd.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
09philj said:
IceForce said:
I still can't shake the feeling that this is going to be another of those fly-by-night gimmicks that fades into obscurity not long after launch. Like 3D TV.

At least I *hope*, selfishly, that it doesn't take off in a big way. I get terrible motion sickness, and I also have unbalanced focussing/vision between my eyes. If this takes off in a big way, I'm going to be left behind.
I think it's more likely to cater to a niche but dedicated audience, like steering wheel controllers do.
I think you're right. I mean, it's basically a pointless item for about half the games being made, since it doesn't really fit with third person games. That already limits its uses. And, while you could probably use it for COD or something, it really fits best with horror titles, and other atmospheric games. I wouldn't mind having one myself, just not for $600. Someone out there doesn't mind, though, so I'm sure this will enjoy moderate success.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I loved. It seems like something taken out of a cyberpunk world. People can't afford houses or food, because they need Oculus Rift more than anything else.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Hey where have you guys been lately I've noticed Critical Miss hasn't been updated in a while.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
MrCalavera said:
How about an alternative that would go well with that cardboard box of yours?
THE FUTURE IS NOW[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

At least, this gear has an embedded camera to see your real surrounding and RA your games in the process.
So yeah: Hight-tier stuff!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Fox12 said:
09philj said:
IceForce said:

At least I *hope*, selfishly, that it doesn't take off in a big way. I get terrible motion sickness, and I also have unbalanced focussing/vision between my eyes. If this takes off in a big way, I'm going to be left behind.
I think it's more likely to cater to a niche but dedicated audience, like steering wheel controllers do.
I think you're right. I mean, it's basically a pointless item for about half the games being made, since it doesn't really fit with third person games. That already limits its uses. And, while you could probably use it for COD or something, it really fits best with horror titles, and other atmospheric games. I wouldn't mind having one myself, just not for $600. Someone out there doesn't mind, though, so I'm sure this will enjoy moderate success.
Depends on how you use it. Simulating a virtual room with a very large TV for playing on might appeal to some people. Since the game is still on a 2d screen, you might be able to avoid people getting motion sick from using it that way as well.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
As a .hack fan, there's a part of me that hopes that VR headsets will take off. After all, we'll be one step closer to a real life version of The World (hopefully without a glorified womb that doesn't want to give birth, it makes a bit more sense in context).

After that, and for MMOs to become sophisticated enough for players to look like how they are in a typical episode of .hack//Sign, then we'll be all set.