Odd Selling Points

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
This about games you were on the fence about buying but a an odd thing pushed you over the line to buy it.

For me it was civ 4, the series had always interested me and I saw it in a store for $25 a few years back, I was going to just leave it but read the back and found it was narrated by Lenoard Nimoy, this was the last little bit I need to decide I was going to buy it. I ended up loving the game and wonder why I had to have that sell it for me.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Saints Row 3.

I'd been looking at it for a while and then saw a clip.

3 words....

Burt fucking Reynolds.

I was instantly sold on that game.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
The Witcher - have sex with everything with a vagina, collect cards that signify your conquests.

I bought it for the gameplay and story though. Promise.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
The wilfulness to tickle my dreaming organ! That grasp of Zeus, Master of Olympus, is purple after three o' clock.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Dragon Age 2.

I loved Dragon Age: Origins. I was unsure, however, whether a sequel would do anything for me... sometimes, with a game/novel/movie/whatever that I love, I don't want to see a continuation, because I think it ended perfectly as it was.

And then I saw all the rage flowing around here at its release... so I bought it.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Not sure if I've ever had an odd selling points with video games.

But when I look at the back of a DVD or Blu-Ray and see these magical words...

"SPECIAL FEATURES: Interactive Menus, Scene Selection"

... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
I grabbed Psychonauts after hearing someone mention you could set squirrels on fire.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Realism is usually a good selling point for me.

Squidbulb said:
Painkiller. Shurikens and lightning, anyone?
There are only two things that could make this better...

Gorilla Gunk said:
If a game has a certain gun I might consider getting it.

I know, pathetic.
What is the gun, if I may ask?

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Squidbulb said:
Painkiller. Shurikens and lightning, anyone?
Shurikens and lightning indeed. That sold me the game completely.

I also bought Saints Row 2 because of Yahtzee's review. When he said that I could put women's clothing on my male character and that there is a minigame where I drive around and shoot sewage all over cars and houses, I was sold.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
http://scpcb.wordpress.com/ This wonderful game right here, while it costs nothing, I wasn't going to play.

Then I realised it had a blink meter. A fucking blink meter. God damn, worth it.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
Saints Row 3.

I'd been looking at it for a while and then saw a clip.

3 words....

Burt fucking Reynolds.

I was instantly sold on that game.
I had a similar situation with Dragon Age. I love Bioware, but the marketing for the game seemed expressly designed to make me NOT want it. It was all about blood and gore and "dark fantasy", when the game wasn't about any of those. I was finally pushed over to the "get it" side when I heard that Tim Curry did voice acting for the game. I'll listen to anything voiced by Tim Curry. My dream is to one day run into a three-headed giant in a game voiced by Tim Curry, Patrick Stewart, and John Cleese.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Nuking Indian elephants controlled by Gandhi in Civilisation III. I was pretty sold by everything else but that was the clincher.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Tanks and carriers. Tanks as in, well, tanks, rolling around, shooting stuff. Carriers as in spaceship carriers. Capital or sub-capital ship that flies aroud with fighter defense usually, lot of active defense of just health and launches tons of smaller ships to go fight stuff. If a game has either of those I'll seriously consider buying it, unless I have a good reason not to.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Not sure if I've ever had an odd selling points with video games.

But when I look at the back of a DVD or Blu-Ray and see these magical words...

"SPECIAL FEATURES: Interactive Menus, Scene Selection"

... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Scene selection? On a DVD? What will they think of next?

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
I wasn't all that interested in Nier until I found out there's a text-based adventure section where you have to make your way out of a castle where people have been tortured and murdered. There's another text section later, but it doesn't have choices and is really just story. That ended up being my favourite part.

As for Deadly Premonition, I bought that after seeing some YouTube videos of the kinds of bizarre conversations you have in that game. Any game that just takes 10 minutes of time out of serious business to explain "the sinners sandwich" has piqued my interest.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
EvE online-one of the games selling points printed on there website was
Train skills even when you don't pay for the game
up until about a year ago

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I had little to no interest in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning until I heard it was by a new up and coming development team. I bought it simply to support new devs with new IPs. Can't have all these sequels take over now can we?