Oddworld Creator Reviving Abe's Oddysee

neon flame

Jul 19, 2009
I'm hoping this isn't just a graphical update. At the very least it would be nice if they included Exoddus' improved save system. I'll get it if it's a price I can afford though. I never got the good ending in Oddysee and wouldn't mind another try.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I was about to say I was conflicted as I'd bought the Oddbox on Steam, but then I actually read the article and realised it's a PSN release. /whew

But, I think it's a great idea, especially if it generates money for Oddworld Inhbitants, or hell, even renewed interest in Oddworld as a series. And if that can lead onto -new- Oddworld games, of the kind OI had hoped to continue producing (Sligstorm, Citizen Siege etc.) then it can only be a good thing.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Lol, literally seconds ago I loaded that game up for the first time on Steam XD Gotta say that I've played better, more responsive flash games than that old thing - and the flash games had getter graphics and control schemes! At least it looks interesting and funky. I'm sure with an updated game engine, the playability would be improved dramatically - I could only stomach 5 mins in its original format :/
I was made in 1997 for gods sake. At the time it was the pinnacle of 2.5D tech. If you seriously can't play it for more than 5 mins, there's something wrong with you. The Flash games you're referring to didn't even exist in the format today. Seriously what is it with people who expect old games to have flashy graphics.

Sugarman101

Jan 8, 2011
I'm really glad to see this series coming back! So many fond memories...

It was a real pity that the steam releases were sub-par. In a game where split second timing is all important, massive control lag is unforgivable.

If I recall correctly, there was a whole series (~8 games I think) planned when they launched Odyssee, but the numbers dropped off and they only got 3 or 4 out. Perhaps this re-release is leading up to some new titles?

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Sugarman101 said:
I'm really glad to see this series coming back! So many fond memories...

It was a real pity that the steam releases were sub-par. In a game where split second timing is all important, massive control lag is unforgivable.

If I recall correctly, there was a whole series (~8 games I think) planned when they launched Odyssey, but the numbers dropped off and they only got 3 or 4 out. Perhaps this re-release is leading up to some new titles?
Control lag? I had no such problem with the Steam release. The only thing I can whine about is that it you can't change the resolution, or put it in a window.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Have both Abe PS1 games off of PSN. (PSPlus rules)
Wonder if they're adding anything, because it it's just a new coat of paint, can't say I'll buy it.
And is there a release date on Stranger's Wrath?

Sugarman101

Jan 8, 2011
ActionDan said:
Control lag? I had no such problem with the Steam release. The only thing I can whine about is that it you can't change the resolution, or put it in a window.
Yeah, it was annoying not to be able to run in windowed mode. As for the control lag, consider yourself lucky, I believe it was quite a widespread problem.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Woohoo! Canny wait to get this, loved abe as a child so this is a first day buy for myself!

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Got the original on PSN already. I got about halfway through Paramonia (I think) and the game glitched out on me and I couldn't go any further. The main problem with it is how tedious and tricky it is to save the damn game. If I could easily make backups, it wouldn't have been a problem. Every screen is a hair puller, though. Would have saved my money if I knew they planned to update it.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
The HD Remake of Stranger's Wrath is also coming to PC, according to the CEO of JAW [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20443656&postcount=1057]. He posted a lot after releasing the Oddboxx on Steam, wanting to fix the problems people had with Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysee. They have fixed most of the issues now through patches, but they are still working on fixing the rest. And he wrote a few times that the HD update will come to PC as well, so I cannot see why that doesn't apply to this HD upgrade as well.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Now that both Stranger's Wrath and Abe's Oddysee are being remade in HD, I think it's a safe bet to expect Abe's Exodus [http://www.amazon.com/Oddworld-Abes-Exoddus-Game-Download/dp/B002VWLKPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1296402464&sr=1-2], Oddysee's sequel, to go under the knife next.
Really? Time to get freaky, then.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
What a waste of time and talent. They should work on a new project. I can't see the game being much improved by this, maybe it'll be more tolerable for the graphic hungry monsters but even then the gameplay will probably be too slow and complex for them.

I was really excited with the news of new projects and a PS3 Stranger's Wrath version, this isn't what I had in mind.

Wicky_42 said:
Lol, literally seconds ago I loaded that game up for the first time on Steam XD Gotta say that I've played better, more responsive flash games than that old thing - and the flash games had getter graphics and control schemes! At least it looks interesting and funky. I'm sure with an updated game engine, the playability would be improved dramatically - I could only stomach 5 mins in its original format :/
So you played it for 5 minutes and you didn't like it? Wow, go figure.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Whilst its good for those who dont have the original, it would be better if they made a brand new Oddworld game.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Having recently finished Stranger's Wrath on the PC (yes, now it works and it's more than playable, it's actually enjoyable), and now I'm playing through Munch's Oddysee and both Abe's Oddysee and Exodus, I'm a bit concerned how they're going to pull it off.

Both Abe's Oddysee and Exodus had great graphics back then and today it still looks pretty good, except for the insanely low res graphics. I thought that by simply raising the resolution and maybe giving it a bit of a coat paint it would look stunning in HD, but actually remaking the thing with a 3D engine in 2D style... well, I'm a bit skeptical, unless it turns to be similar to how Shadow Complex pulled off mixing 3D with 2D to a great degree.

As a side note, I want a Stranger's Wrath sequel... I loved that game.