Oddworld Creator Reviving Abe's Oddysee

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Reading the head line for this made me go 0_0) I've always been a huge fan of the Oddworld games& even tho this is only a updating for the older games it does pave the way for then to release something new from within Oddworld

We pray& hope, well I do anyway

-M

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Luckily I still own all 4 Oddworld games. I would love to get the first two if they were to release them as XBLA games though. I don't have a PS3 and will not be getting one.

helmutlord

Sep 8, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
What a waste of time and talent. They should work on a new project.
I disagree - as long as they don't change it too much, I think it's a wonderful idea. Studios are always so focused on creating new content, when there is a wealth of gold that has become near inaccessible to the new generations. Real classics that deserve to be remastered.

What did these old games do right, that we're getting wrong today? What can we learn from the past? Looking back is often as important as looking forward, and those early Oddworld games I think have a lot to teach.

I also think this shows that the game industry is maturing to that next point where we can venerate older titles without having to remake and 'correct' them - which in book and film is a very familiar concept.

Personally I just miss side scrollers - why does everything have to be first person 3d or the occasional RTS?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I wonder if Lanning will fire this development team days before shipping so he doesn't have to pay them royalties. Again.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
In a word? FUCK YEAH!

Okay, okay, that was two words.

Am I the only one who thought that Munch's Oddessey was a freaking amazing experience? I must've played that game like 10 times through.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
As for your point about mines right on the edge of screens, I don't remember that ever happening.
It did not happen if you were walking normally, but if you were running for some reason (like when your fleeing from enemies) then there was often no way of slowing down when you entered the next screen before you hit the mines.
Ah, but that is why you roll, my good friend!

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I have completed both PS1 Abe games at least twice with one time saving all the Mudokons.
It cost me 20 years of my live-essence and If I die I want this achievment written on my tomb stone!

I LOVE the ODDWORLD games.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Why, why, WHY? Why not a year ago? I already bought this on PSN! Awww, Abe, I was THIS close to turning you into Shrykull and....bah. I am gonna get this again probably.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Wicky_42 said:
I'd like to know what you felt was wrong with it. More specifically, I mean. I'm genuinely curious because out of all of the people I know who've played it loved it, and that includes people who I wouldn't really call 'gamers'.

Not that I'm trying to attack you, I'm just interested.
I think it's fundamentally the game engine. Movement is based on a series of squares - press right once and Abe moves to the next one, no matter how quickly you tap the button. That's not like any other platformer I've ever played, and it felt so off trying to place jumps.

Then there was a room with giant, terribly rendered lumps of meat flashing down the screen incredibly fast with little to no pause, throwing meat particle effect thingies everywhere. For all the world it looked like a broken graphical effect, and completely obscured the timing of the jumps - further frustrated by the unfamiliar game engine.

The tutorial messages tell me how to get others to follow, and that I can go up to 'bird portals' and chant with them to save them. Cool. Then the button combo to chant doesn't work, so I look up an alternative. So I stand where the birds were flying in circles (they fly off) and chant, but nothing happens - the guy following me gets bored and carries on cleaning the floor. Frustrating, confusing - and presumably going to make me miss out on something later in the game.

Don't get me wrong, the art style is cool and the characters look quirky - and it'll probably do really well once updated, but it's just so clunky. I guess I'm just spoilt by the modern standard of gaming - all those flash platformers with their smooth, flowing gameplay that's so rewarding and so challenging kinda show the last 15 years of development up.

I'll probably go back to it at some point with lower expectations and see if I can work out exactly where to stand and face to activate the portal or something, but it's just a bit tedious to do stuff like that that :/

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
best side scrolling puzzle platformer ever made!

I will buy this day freakin' one! Maybe this time around i'll actually be able to finish the game XD

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Wicky_42 said:
I'd like to know what you felt was wrong with it. More specifically, I mean. I'm genuinely curious because out of all of the people I know who've played it loved it, and that includes people who I wouldn't really call 'gamers'.

Not that I'm trying to attack you, I'm just interested.
I think it's fundamentally the game engine. Movement is based on a series of squares - press right once and Abe moves to the next one, no matter how quickly you tap the button. That's not like any other platformer I've ever played, and it felt so off trying to place jumps.

Then there was a room with giant, terribly rendered lumps of meat flashing down the screen incredibly fast with little to no pause, throwing meat particle effect thingies everywhere. For all the world it looked like a broken graphical effect, and completely obscured the timing of the jumps - further frustrated by the unfamiliar game engine.

The tutorial messages tell me how to get others to follow, and that I can go up to 'bird portals' and chant with them to save them. Cool. Then the button combo to chant doesn't work, so I look up an alternative. So I stand where the birds were flying in circles (they fly off) and chant, but nothing happens - the guy following me gets bored and carries on cleaning the floor. Frustrating, confusing - and presumably going to make me miss out on something later in the game.

Don't get me wrong, the art style is cool and the characters look quirky - and it'll probably do really well once updated, but it's just so clunky. I guess I'm just spoilt by the modern standard of gaming - all those flash platformers with their smooth, flowing gameplay that's so rewarding and so challenging kinda show the last 15 years of development up.

I'll probably go back to it at some point with lower expectations and see if I can work out exactly where to stand and face to activate the portal or something, but it's just a bit tedious to do stuff like that that :/
Wow, I'm surprised that you didn't find it more intuitive than that. That's probably a combination of me having played it a long time ago and more importanly the fact that the Steam version doesn't come with a manual to make everything clearer.

As for the whole square based movement system, you'll get used to it. What you really need to know is that a basic jump will put you forward two squares, landing on the third or catching onto a ledge if there's one there. A running jump will clear three squares, landing onto the fourth. A running jump can also be used to grab onto a ledge above you without having to stand underneath it and climb up.

As for the dropping lumps of meat, it's simple enough. Just stand on the edge of the gap and once one piece of meat drops past you press space to jump. As for opening a portal, you just have to chant on the same screen as it, and it'll open. If there are Mudokons on the same screen they'll run and jump through it. It'll close when you stop chanting (with the exception of rotating bird portals, but that's irrelevant early in the game), but if there are any Mudokons trying to get through it Abe automatically keeps chanting until they all get through. And if you disrupt it, you can just run off screen and then back again and it'll reappear. Also, 'button combo'? You just hold 0 to chant.

I'm not telling you this just to demonstrate how simple it is, although once you know what to do it'll feel simple. I just feel that you're missing out on a great game because of a lack of instruction. Relying on the ingame instructions is a bad idea, because generally they explain things long after you've had the opportunity to apply them.

TLDR: Look up an online guide or ask me in a private message for a full explanation of the controls, as a proper understanding of them is crucial to your success.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
TLDR: Look up an online guide or ask me in a private message for a full explanation of the controls, as a proper understanding of them is crucial to your success.
Yeah, sound advice. The key part is that the whole square-based system is so much more clunky than the pixels I'm used to playing in, which coupled with a lack of manual makes it frustrating. I'll give it another shot sometime, I guess, but again an updated game engine's going to help it a lot ;)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Day 1 purchase for me. I loved the original and now they're remaking it in a new 3D engine? Sold.
I second that! :D, first game I ever bought (well technically parents did), they got it with V-Rally when they purchased the PS1 origional for me, ah memories :)

Numina Infuscata

Aug 24, 2010
Exxodus was the first game I ever owned on a console...
In fact, I just bought the pair for PS1 and shall enjoy it all over again. I would love for them to release them in HD on XBLA in the future =]

Stranger's Wrath was good, but under-rated... Stupid EA ruined any hopes that game had =/
Munch's Oddysee, not so fussed about...