Official Thor Trailer Strikes With the Might of Mjolnir

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
jesus christ (hur hur) this looks bad, half the plot points where given away in the trailer, and why does he have to fall in love with portman, the main character falling in love with the first girl he sees is already a cliche, but when portman is involved its is very own cliche, and the trailer also gave away what kind of 3 its going to be, its going to be the throwing things at the camera all the time one, i lost most of my interest in the movie when i learned it was based on the marvel comic and not the carlson comic i loved (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla_%28comics%29) but this trailer just makes it even worse, especially the spoiling the plot point parts, after 2 min i now know his origin story (the interest in that alone could have made me go see it), how his relationship will turn out or atleast a big part of it, i know he is going to face his father and siblings, i have seen the final epic battle and i have heard what i hope is the worst line in the movie "your ancestors called it magic, you call it science bla bla" delivered with no interest or emotion.

but im not gonna judge a movie too hard by its trailer, there have been examples of great trailers having terrible movies and vica versa.

Varewulf

Nosgoth Fanboy
Oct 22, 2009
I have a minor nitpick, coming from the land of Norse. He said Earth instead of Midgard. :( That bugged me. I'm probably the only one to care though.

Otherwise, it looks interesting, but I was going to go see it anyway, so... had no impact there. ;)

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Varewulf said:
I have a minor nitpick, coming from the land of Norse. He said Earth instead of Midgard. :( That bugged me. I'm probably the only one to care though.
You´re not the only one. I found that a bit odd too. Hopefully it´s only in that scene, he could be trying to communicate with Portman in a way she would understand...

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Sixcess said:
Seeing as he's not using it anymore can I borrow Yahtzee's Like God of War But.. stamp?
You could if Thor hadn't been made long before God of War ever existed.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
marcogodinho said:
I think that the way that they will tie magic with science is somewhat explained with the whole "science and magic are all one and the same where i come from" logic Thor states in the trailer.

Remember...a lot of todays scientifical achievements would seem like magic to us (mankind) a few centuries ago. Perhaps thats the way they´ll approach it in the movie?
And this is exactly why I think this movie will be shit. The Marvle universe has supported science and magic as two seperate entities just fine until now, why do they need to make some marvelous explination for it now? The Bifrost Bridge just exists and mortals can't access it because it's guarded and you need super special awesome powers to get in. The Gods don't do much to Midgard because they're too busy squabbling amoungst eachother and the Frost Giants. Why does someone have to go and royally mess things up by trying to explain things that don't need explaining?

It just grinds my gears when some big action movie comes out like this and they, for some reason, believe that anything "magical" in modern day society needs some sort of scientific explination. Yes, magic exists in this world! Why is that so hard ot just accept? Yes, they can often achieve the same ends but it gives that certain spark to everything when Tony Stark makes some complicated lightning cannon to mimic something Thor can do by snapping his fingers and pointing Mjolnir at something. The worst part is, what happens to characters like Dr. Strange if this becomes cannon? Now he's not the Scorcerer Supreme but rather the Scientists Supreme? Move over, Doc Banner, cause Gamma Rays are child's play to the science Stephen Strange can whip around!

Overall, looks like Marvel is going to screw up big time with this.

marcogodinho said:
Varewulf said:
You´re not the only one. I found that a bit odd too. Hopefully it´s only in that scene, he could be trying to communicate with Portman in a way she would understand...
When has Thor ever dumbed himself down or used current language to help get his point across? He always says "Midgard" and then explains himself when everyone looks at him funny. Just another sign people didn't pay attention ot what they were doing when writing the script.

N3vans

Apr 14, 2009
Looks pretty good, although that jumping through the air holding a thundering mjolnir shot at the end made me think it looked like BANHAMMER: THE MOVIE

Darkgoosey666

Jul 18, 2010
From this trailer there is a scene where someone is talking about science and magic and whatever, this sounds to me like they will try to explain magic with some bullshit science. its going to phantom menace thor :(

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
harv3034 said:
P.S. was I the only one who thought, "Mjolnir" was it, looked a little small for the Thunder God's "Big-Ass Magic Hammer"?
I've never seen it as a "Big - ass Magic Hammer" (in Norse mythology, at least.

It's always been a medium sized hammer with runes on it. That's shooting lightning.

Fun Fact: Did you know that Thor isn't mainly the god of thunder but the god of farming and fishing? The thunder thing is just a part time job.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
HellsingerAngel said:
marcogodinho said:
I think that the way that they will tie magic with science is somewhat explained with the whole "science and magic are all one and the same where i come from" logic Thor states in the trailer.
And this is exactly why I think this movie will be shit. The Marvle universe has supported science and magic as two seperate entities just fine until now, why do they need to make some marvelous explination for it now?[...]
It just grinds my gears when some big action movie comes out like this and they, for some reason, believe that anything "magical" in modern day society needs some sort of scientific explination. Yes, magic exists in this world! Why is that so hard ot just accept?

marcogodinho said:
When has Thor ever dumbed himself down or used current language to help get his point across? He always says "Midgard" and then explains himself when everyone looks at him funny. Just another sign people didn't pay attention ot what they were doing when writing the script
You make two valid points. As for the second point(Midgard)and the "dumbed himself down" issue, i was just speculating. I honestly don´t know if he even calls Earth Midgard throughout the entire film. I guess we´ll have to wait and see.
As for your first point (science-magic), i can understand how this could be an issue with some "hardcore" fans. In my opinion, it might be a necessary evil. Avengers is an ambitious project that might need a cohesive universe where everything has to obey the same rules. Comics and Movies are different mediums and sometimes filmmakers have to compromise on a few points. What works on the funnybooks(i hate that term) sometimes doesnt conceptually translate well to cinema.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Mazty said:
Pscht, Alexander Skarsgård would have been perfect for the role, just look at his last name =D

marcogodinho said:
It could have been done for American audiences, as it wouldn't be the first time this has happened in films e.g. Northern lights being renamed Golden Compass etc
I dont know if they would change a minor detail like that to american audiences, since american readers are exposed to the term Midgard in the comics. But...who knows? As for The Ska-ASGARD dude...yes, he would be a cool Thor. Even his last name is spot-on. Now THAT´S commitment to the character,LOL.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
All I can say is meh.

And
Ultimate Marvel SUCKS ARSE!! 90s marvel is 1000000000 times better even the 099 comics!

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Wow, that "Please, Open Your Eyes" from the romantic interest didn't sound artificial or forced AT ALL

Kudos, random actress, you win a pre-emptive Raspberry award

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well, whatever little thunder the lacklustre trailer for Green Lantern generated has just been stolen.

The Mighty Thor is in town :)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Moonpooman said:
harv3034 said:
P.S. was I the only one who thought, "Mjolnir" was it, looked a little small for the Thunder God's "Big-Ass Magic Hammer"?
I've never seen it as a "Big - ass Magic Hammer" (in Norse mythology, at least.

It's always been a medium sized hammer with runes on it. That's shooting lightning.

Fun Fact: Did you know that Thor isn't mainly the god of thunder but the god of farming and fishing? The thunder thing is just a part time job.

Agriculture with a minor is asskicking, sounds good to me.