Official Thor Trailer Strikes With the Might of Mjolnir

harv3034

Sep 23, 2010
Moonpooman said:
Fun Fact: Did you know that Thor isn't mainly the god of thunder but the god of farming and fishing? The thunder thing is just a part time job.
True.
But "god of farming and fishing, who controls thunder on the side." isn't quite as cool as "God of Thunder"

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
Wow, that "Please, Open Your Eyes" from the romantic interest didn't sound artificial or forced AT ALL

Kudos, random actress, you win a pre-emptive Raspberry award
thats Natalie Portman, im a bit surprised you dont know her, she has been in some good movies and in a ton of blockbusters, but youre right, that was a strange delivery of the line, it didnt seem forced to me, more like she had no idea how to react, im guessing the director is a hands off kinda guy, i didnt notice it at first since the lead actors deadpan ways stole the show.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Moonpooman said:
Fun Fact: Did you know that Thor isn't mainly the god of thunder but the god of farming and fishing? The thunder thing is just a part time job.
huh, i must have blocked that out ^^, isnt he also part time god of war, i dont remember if its when Denmark attacks or is being attacked, it may just be something the old Danes added to make themselves feel better than those stooped Swedes and Norwegians.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The first trailer, the one they took down, was better - it has countinuity humor in reguards to ironman.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
From the way it's placed, I'm thinking the "science and magic" line is more of a lampshade/throwaway thing; i.e. "Anyone who's confused as to how me and Iron Man can live in the same universe? THAT'S how, moving on."

In any case, it's largely in-keeping with the way Marvel tends to handle it in the comics (though it varies from writer to writer.) In Marvel, "magic stuff" and "ridiculously-advance alien stuff" tends to all get grouped together under the "cosmic character" banner - i.e. Norse/Olympian/etc Gods, "Living Concepts" (in Marvel, "Infinity" and "Eternity" are folks you can just go talk to), crazy-otherworldly "Great Old One" type aliens, The Devil and outright wizardy tend to be on roughly-equal footing to one another (see any of Jim Starlin's Marvel stuff, for example.)

FWIW, Jack Kirby is supposed to have suggested big chunks of Thor's universe/origin, although he was only credited as the artist on that particular project, and Kirby was always a HUGE devotee of the "Chariots of The Gods Theory" - i.e. the idea that mythological god legends are actually primitive records of human encounters with highly-advanced aliens and/or extra-dimensional beings.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I managed to see it a few months ago before it was pulled off the web, and I have to say it looks surprisingly well done. I was afraid it would look super-cheesy, but it looks like it deserves to share the same universe with the Iron Man movies.

HarmanSmith

Aug 12, 2009
Varewulf said:
I have a minor nitpick, coming from the land of Norse. He said Earth instead of Midgard. :( That bugged me. I'm probably the only one to care though.

Otherwise, it looks interesting, but I was going to go see it anyway, so... had no impact there. ;)
I have a major nitpick. Why the hell is Odin so pissed about Thor starting a war and disrupting the peace? The Norse loved war! Their idea of heaven was constant battle! The real Odin would have said, "War? Sweet! I'll grab my battle axe." Whoever wrote the script is taking ridiculous liberties with Norse mythology.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
NeedAUserName said:
Woodsey said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Still don't know how they are going to tie this in...
I'm pretty sure the agent asking him where he trained appeared in Iron Man, working with whoever the fuck Samuel L Jackson works with.

OT: There's some duff lines in the trailer alone, especially from Thor himself. Not a great sign, but it doesn't look terrible.
Yeah, its the same guy, you see him in a teaser at the end of the credits in Iron Man 2 saying they've discovered Thors Hammer. I imagine he, alongside good ol' Samuel will appear in all the Avengers movies, except he might not be as recognizable.
That would be Agent Coulson. He's also the guy from the first Iron Man film that kept trying to request a debriefing with Stark while saying SHIELDs long-form name only to be told he'd schedule something.

HarmanSmith said:
Whoever wrote the script is taking ridiculous liberties with Norse mythology.
Just like the comics the movie is based on.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Wow. That looks really good. I had no interest in seeing Thor, except perhaps to complete the Avengers mythos before seeing that movie, but this trailer definitely sold me.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Anyone else thought the hammer looked kinda silly? A lot of the actors seem to be hamming it up too, and the whole 'in 3-D, in 2-D in some selected theatres' thing annoyed me for some reason (some of us can't watch 3-D without getting a killer migraine, thank you). Either way, I'll probably go see it just to see how they'll connect it to the other market movies.

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
008Zulu said:
Looks pretty sweet, I hope there is a non 3D version.
just what i thought...
I have found myself looking down movies with " WITH 3D" because for me it feels like cheap marketing trick...

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Swaki said:
Moonpooman said:
huh, i must have blocked that out ^^, isnt he also part time god of war, i dont remember if its when Denmark attacks or is being attacked, it may just be something the old Danes added to make themselves feel better than those stooped Swedes and Norwegians.
Is Denmark in God of War?

Huh.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Cue MovieBob creaming his pants in 3...2...

I sincerely hope he doesn't channel Batman and do an "I'm Thor" line because I'll probably bust out laughing in my seat. It'll bring me right back to that joke about how Thor picks up a Valkyrie at one of the afterparties one night in Valhalla (Where they fight all day and party all night) and bangs her all night long and in the morning, he figures he'd better introduce himself, because he didn't the night before.

"I'm Thor," he says.

"You're Thor?!" she says. "I'm tho thore, I can hardly pith!"

And yeah, when did Odin get his manhood removed? Odin loved war and fighting. The hall of the dead in Valhalla had all the best heroes from earth who killed each other all day, and at night, picked themselves up and put themselves back together from being chopped to pieces, and feasted and partied all night, only to do it again the next day. And this was a Norse warrior's idea of BLISS. Loki, now Loki was the one who hated straight up fighting. And when did Loki go all Emo and start dressing in black?

At least he was fairly pretty. Loki was a better looker than most of the Norse Gods, save Freyr/Frey, because he was only half God, the other half being giant. And thank the Ghods, Loki isn't wearing the horned helmet from the comics. They gave him -10,000 Ridiculous with that move (movie Loki, that is). Although I suppose it could always show up at some point. :p

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
HellsingerAngel said:
And this is exactly why I think this movie will be shit. The Marvle universe has supported science and magic as two seperate entities just fine until now, why do they need to make some marvelous explination for it now? The Bifrost Bridge just exists and mortals can't access it because it's guarded and you need super special awesome powers to get in. The Gods don't do much to Midgard because they're too busy squabbling amoungst eachother and the Frost Giants. Why does someone have to go and royally mess things up by trying to explain things that don't need explaining?

It just grinds my gears when some big action movie comes out like this and they, for some reason, believe that anything "magical" in modern day society needs some sort of scientific explination. Yes, magic exists in this world! Why is that so hard ot just accept? Yes, they can often achieve the same ends but it gives that certain spark to everything when Tony Stark makes some complicated lightning cannon to mimic something Thor can do by snapping his fingers and pointing Mjolnir at something. The worst part is, what happens to characters like Dr. Strange if this becomes cannon? Now he's not the Scorcerer Supreme but rather the Scientists Supreme? Move over, Doc Banner, cause Gamma Rays are child's play to the science Stephen Strange can whip around!
I had a point I was going to make, but for the life of me can't think of it. I definitely agree it's silly to downgrade the Asgardians to simply high tech.

But magic and science has overlapped in the MU, Eternity the anthromorphic personification of the entire universe did tell Hank Pym that magic and science were merely too sides of the same coin and that much of Pym's science borders on magic (pym particles, living machine, the infinity mansion). I could see magic as being explained as energy forms, dimensions and consciousnesses far beyond normal human comprehension.

harv3034 said:
P.S. was I the only one who thought, "Mjolnir" was it, looked a little small for the Thunder God's "Big-Ass Magic Hammer"?
Actually even in mythology it's got a small handle. There's a story about Loki betting some Dwarves that they couldn't match another Dwarf clans smithing. The prize was Loki's head. When they were forging Mjolnir, Loki turned into a marchfly (or something similar) and bit the blacksmith causing the handle to be prematurely short. Even so the work was better and Loki only got out of dying by telling the Dwarves they could only take his head if they spared his neck, so in return they sewed his lips shut.

Varewulf said:
I have a minor nitpick, coming from the land of Norse. He said Earth instead of Midgard. :( That bugged me. I'm probably the only one to care though.
No, I agree he should have said Midgard.

Apr 17, 2009
And thank the Ghods, Loki isn't wearing the horned helmet from the comics. They gave him -10,000 Ridiculous with that move (movie Loki, that is). Although I suppose it could always show up at some point. :p
He's wearing it at the end of the trailer. It looks fairly badass

And maybe he says Earth instead of Midgard because Earth is only a specific part of Midgard? I mean, what with all those other planets and alternate/parallel universes...

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I an't say I'm as impressed as I perhaps feel I could be, but none-the-less I'm going to end up watching it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
StrangerQ said:
008Zulu said:
Looks pretty sweet, I hope there is a non 3D version.
just what i thought...
I have found myself looking down movies with " WITH 3D" because for me it feels like cheap marketing trick...
I can watch 3D, but not for more than half an hour before my brain goes funny.