Not open for further replies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Definitely some really good advice. I've seen more than a couple of people lose out on job opportunities due to their prospective employer finding their twitter or facebook posts.
Exactly why I don't have a Facebook or Twitter page. once again, people have mocked me for this, but when all their dirty laundry or when they did something stupid, they lost out on job opportunities.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Exactly why I don't have a Facebook or Twitter page. once again, people have mocked me for this, but when all their dirty laundry or when they did something stupid, they lost out on job opportunities.
Yeah, especially as Facebook (at least) makes you use your real name. Though, they don't know it's your real name, it just has to not look fake (or Native American) or you'll get banned. Not sure why people don't just use fake names, but then again, not sure why people commit crimes and post to FB under their real name about it.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Pff. I have a Twitter account specifically to make myself unemployable. So there!

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
For a not disappointed fan this appears to be causing you a lot of angst.
You should leave psychoanalysis to professionals. Movie criticism too, while I'm at it.

I'm not really a fan of Disney's trilogy and honestly that not that big a fan of Bitter/Crabby Luke, but considering the entire Premise of the New Trilogy is that everything went to shit between ROTJ and TFA because the New Republic is not only complacent, but also incredibly stupid and the First Order somehow has access to UNLIMITED RESOURCES and ALSO PALPATINE SOMEHOW SURVIVED FALLING DOWN THE SHAFT ON THE EXPLODING DEATH STAR, Old Bitter Luke feels appropriate to that crapsack, stupid universe.
Well, you basically summed it up without realizing it. Dumb as rocks version of Luke works really well for a dumb as rocks premise and storyline. The trilogy started OK. I actually liked The Force Awakens, despite it being such an obvious copy of A New Hope. It was a good copy with a cast of promising new characters. But then they made the sequels. And the whole thing just collapsed.

Snoke probably shouldn't have been killed off in TLJ. In fact, that's more than probable. I'm 99,99% sure that he was supposed to be the main bad guy all along. But since he was killed off, JJ had to think on his feet. And he's not a very original guy, so the only thing that he could come up with was resurrecting Palpatine.

The Last Jedi really initiated the whole domino effect of bad decisions. A better writer could have found a way to work around the mess that TLJ has left behind. JJ just to added to it, sadly.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Snoke probably shouldn't have been killed off in TLJ. In fact, that's more than probable. I'm 99,99% sure that he was supposed to be the main bad guy all along. But since he was killed off, JJ had to think on his feet. And he's not a very original guy, so the only thing that he could come up with was resurrecting Palpatine.
More likely Abrams introduced the character to set up a mystery to be solved later without knowing ahead of time what the reveal was going to be. Which is fine in drafts, but Abrams has this habit of introducing a mystery and then trying to retrofit the explanation in later.

The Last Jedi really initiated the whole domino effect of bad decisions. A better writer could have found a way to work around the mess that TLJ has left behind. JJ just to added to it, sadly.
Disney listened to dudes like you and gave the complainers what they wanted, taking them at their word, a decision that has never once resulted in a satisfying finished product. The problem here is that Disney did not have a plan for the trilogy and while that may have worked out originally for George Lucas, it's a fool's errand to try and make that lightning strike twice.

I don't even mind TLJ, but the people who several years later still won't shut up about how much they hate it has once again made Star Wars not fun to talk about.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You should leave psychoanalysis to professionals. Movie criticism too, while I'm at it.

Well, you basically summed it up without realizing it. Dumb as rocks version of Luke works really well for a dumb as rocks premise and storyline. The trilogy started OK. I actually liked The Force Awakens, despite it being such an obvious copy of A New Hope. It was a good copy with a cast of promising new characters. But then they made the sequels. And the whole thing just collapsed.

I think we're in agreement, more or less, on this.

Honestly, the biggest props I'll give TLJ is that it took risks and that's more then TFA did. Unfortunately, the execution was bungled pretty bad and Rise of Skywalker pretty much destroyed any chance of salvaging it.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Yeah, not seeing any reason why Luke couldn't change in the decades we didn't see him.

The way he was depicted was very bad, yes, but having him be a broken old man wasn't inherently a terrible idea, IMHO.
I actually thought his characterization in TLJ remains one of the best and more grounded depictions of Luke, both individually and in the circular traditions of Star Wars.

Like, he inadvertently created another Darth Vader because of a moment of weakness (at least in his perception) and did what Jedi Masters do when they do that level of fuck up: go be a hermit and try to figure out what they did wrong. Yoda did that after missing out that the Chancellor, whom he regularly was in contact with in person, was a Sith Lord. Jolee Bindo did that after his wife and Padawan fell to the dark side and he was unwilling to kill her in a duel. And if they truly figure it out, than if it is something that someone else should know, the force will guide another to them to impart their wisdom.

Luke fucked up and went into seclusion, and his realization was the brokenness of the binary dynamic (or at least the Light-Side Jedi/Dark-Side Sith divide), and Rey, guided by the Force, found Luke to impart said wisdom onto Rey (all the development gets fucking obliterated by TROS, but that's another conversation). They teed up a real discussion of the Force that could have defined Episode IX that would make Kreia-lovers like myself feel like there's real movement in the franchise rather than the stagnation that defines more of the brand than most like to admit.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeah, especially as Facebook (at least) makes you use your real name. Though, they don't know it's your real name, it just has to not look fake (or Native American) or you'll get banned. Not sure why people don't just use fake names, but then again, not sure why people commit crimes and post to FB under their real name about it.
My Facebook doesn't and never had my real name because I always thought social media was stupid way back with MySpace (never had one) and my friends kinda made me make a Facebook. Facebook is useful for planning events, but that's about it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think we're in agreement, more or less, on this.

Honestly, the biggest props I'll give TLJ is that it took risks and that's more then TFA did. Unfortunately, the execution was bungled pretty bad and Rise of Skywalker pretty much destroyed any chance of salvaging it.
There was a certain point in the movie where something truly spectacular was teased. That being Kylo and Rey saying 'fuck all that Empire v.s. Rebelion and Light side v.s. Dark side shit, we're off to do our own thing'. It suddenly made me think of just the average shmuck-alien who has nothing to do with the Empire, the Rebelion, the Jedi, or the Sith, and who just lived their life trying to make ends meet, and how they must be thinking 'Is this shit STILL going on after 30+ years? Really?!'

Now I knew this wasn't going to happen, because this is Star Wars which can't NOT be about the Empire/Rebelion/Jedi/Sith, and is pretty much creatively banktrupt because of that, but still... Just that tease that something was actually going to happen, something was going to bring a sense of change, was enough to make my heart skip a beat. And I don't even really give a shit about Star Wars.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There was a certain point in the movie where something truly spectacular was teased. That being Kylo and Rey saying 'fuck all that Empire v.s. Rebelion and Light side v.s. Dark side shit, we're off to do our own thing'. It suddenly made me think of just the average shmuck-alien who has nothing to do with the Empire, the Rebelion, the Jedi, or the Sith, and who just lived their life trying to make ends meet, and how they must be thinking 'Is this shit STILL going on after 30+ years? Really?!'

Now I knew this wasn't going to happen, because this is Star Wars which can't NOT be about the Empire/Rebelion/Jedi/Sith, and is pretty much creatively banktrupt because of that, but still... Just that tease that something was actually going to happen, something was going to bring a sense of change, was enough to make my heart skip a beat. And I don't even really give a shit about Star Wars.
Yeah, that bit was great. The "Let the past die. Burn it all down" and the promise of forging something new.

And by the next movie, we're back to the same old, same old.

Even the stuff set in the Old Republic(KOTOR) tends to hit the same damn shit, just the Sith instead of the empire.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I still maintain that having Kylo usurp the FO from Snoke, despite being unstable and obviously unprepared for any kind of leadership role and garnering the ire or resentment of every officer seen on screen, was a much cooler and more novel plot direction then having Snoke be a Palpatine-expy. It is also the kind of plot twist that would have kept the sequels fresh and their own thing, had Abrams not decided to rehash RotJ in RoS.
100% agreed on that. It was completely unexpected and way more dramatic. Really wish they had committed to that.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Personally, I think Rey should have become a Sith, just not evil. She can be in touch with her pale red lightsabred-ness and use the dark side and all, and accept that that's part of her, like it is with everyone.

Of course, you have to drop all the simplistic duality of light vs dark, but they've messed that up ages ago anyway. Could even say she's "in balance" doing that.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Personally, I think Rey should have become a Sith, just not evil. She can be in touch with her pale red lightsabred-ness and use the dark side and all, and accept that that's part of her, like it is with everyone.
Wasn't this part of Mace Windu's (entirely unexplored in the movies) backstory? That he could harness aggression without being consumed by it?

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells

Of course, you have to drop all the simplistic duality of light vs dark, but they've messed that up ages ago anyway. Could even say she's "in balance" doing that.
Eh, I think that just goes against too much in Star Wars and it's just such a massive change in message from the movies

Status
Not open for further replies.