Oh hey, MovieBob got fired (Or let go)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Going back to Moviebob for a second - I'm surprised that this thing with L.E. is what finally caused him to close up his twitter, particularly after the hate magnet he's become at times during various internet kerfuffles. I'd be tempted to say its a bit different with L.E. given her popularity (she's apparently #14 on patreon in terms of subscribers which is nuts given she is one in an ocean of movie reviewers), but he's gone head first into some serious shit before.

Seems like he is still posting videos though so maybe he's just keeping his head down.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
([Lindsay Ellis]'s apparently #14 on patreon in terms of subscribers which is nuts given she is one in an ocean of movie reviewers)
Is she that high up? A quick search suggests position #46.

Anyway: she isn't a movie reviewer. She's a video essayist that focuses on movies primarily. She is also crazy good at it.

If we go by the thing I suspect most people think of when they hear the term "movie reviewer", i.e. someone that talks about recent releases and whether they are worth your money and time I don't think she fits.

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Hmm, a news story I read reported her as #14 I thought - maybe I misread it. Just checked and the Focus calls her #14, but graphtreon reports (this is not a joke) "The Cum Boys" are the real number 14. I think they sorted it by Video where she is actually #14.

I see what you mean regarding her content, but I kind of consider video essays to fall under the term "reviewer" in as much as they're providing an in-depth critique on a subject based around a specific medium which in her case is typically movies. I get that you probably wouldn't make an individual call on whether to buy a movie or not based on her videos though, but I usually view critic/reviewer labels as much more broad - kind of like a line where you have "buy/don't buy" on one end and "lets talk about movies" on the other. She leans on the talk side, someone like Brad Jones leans on the buy/don't side, but they both serve both sides to one extent or another.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Hmm, a news story I read reported her as #14 I thought - maybe I misread it. Just checked and the Focus calls her #14, but graphtreon reports (this is not a joke) "The Cum Boys" are the real number 14.
The Cum Boys are a treasure

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I used to like Razorfist for his video game reviews/opinions but the Trump era just made him crazy. Or maybe he always was and the Trump era finally gave him an audience for it. He would tell stories about how Mexicans moved in next door and started a gun fight and drove his mother from her house(and that 'beaners' were trying to take Arizona back) and how John McCain was actually hated in Arizona. And just checking his channel he has a video up claiming he has proof hundreds of thousands of dead people cast ballots in Arizona.
He is tin foil hat crazy and like the Proud Boys doesn't even hide his racism and bigotry anymore.
I mean its fucking crazy 'cause he and moviebob had a pissing contest back in the day, and now they're both just crazy has-beens, one's racists the other is a creep. and I wouldn't put it past either to also be the other.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I see what you mean regarding her content, but I kind of consider video essays to fall under the term "reviewer" in as much as they're providing an in-depth critique on a subject based around a specific medium which in her case is typically movies. I get that you probably wouldn't make an individual call on whether to buy a movie or not based on her videos though, but I usually view critic/reviewer labels as much more broad - kind of like a line where you have "buy/don't buy" on one end and "lets talk about movies" on the other. She leans on the talk side, someone like Brad Jones leans on the buy/don't side, but they both serve both sides to one extent or another.
I will admit that I added the description of what I think most people think a reviewer is as a disclaimer since I don't know exactly what falls within that term, and the discussion of terms is frankly pointless pedantry from where I sit.

If it weren't for the fact that you portrayed it as "nuts" that a "film reviewer" did so well, which compelled me to point out that she is not doing what I suspect most people think of when hearing that term. If you want to call her a film reviewer: be my guest, but I suspect that conjures up the wrong image for most people.

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I will admit that I added the description of what I think most people think a reviewer is as a disclaimer since I don't know exactly what falls within that term, and the discussion of terms is frankly pointless pedantry from where I sit.

If it weren't for the fact that you portrayed it as "nuts" that a "film reviewer" did so well, which compelled me to point out that she is not doing what I suspect most people think of when hearing that term. If you want to call her a film reviewer: be my guest, but I suspect that conjures up the wrong image for most people.
Well its less like pedantry and more like expounding on usage of terms to allow for clear communication, but I guess if you don't view that as relevant there isn't really a direction to go on your statement.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I used to like Razorfist for his video game reviews/opinions but the Trump era just made him crazy. Or maybe he always was and the Trump era finally gave him an audience for it. He would tell stories about how Mexicans moved in next door and started a gun fight and drove his mother from her house(and that 'beaners' were trying to take Arizona back) and how John McCain was actually hated in Arizona. And just checking his channel he has a video up claiming he has proof hundreds of thousands of dead people cast ballots in Arizona.
He is tin foil hat crazy and like the Proud Boys doesn't even hide his racism and bigotry anymore.
I mean its fucking crazy 'cause he and moviebob had a pissing contest back in the day, and now they're both just crazy has-beens, one's racists the other is a creep. and I wouldn't put it past either to also be the other.
I think the problem with Razorfist(well, a problem. The biggest I've encountered of his was the time he threw a random insult at Jim Sterling's wife, who is not a public figure) is that he is terrible with admitting when he was wrong, instead angrily shouting out critics and doubling down on his held position. He is hardly alone in this but his entire presentation is not one which lets him admit to having been in the wrong.

When it comes to Trump he was quite early in supporting him, and part of Trump's victory was due to being a political outsider, meaning some of his supporters saw him as someone that could upend a bad system. Then we've had four years of his rule, four years during which people have had possibility to reflect on him and his policies. Some are bound to have been disappointed and if they followed Razorfist they might've expressed their disappointment to him which he's terrible at handling. So then he'd look for thing reinforces his beliefs, which causes people to be more critical of him, which leads him to more crazy beliefs, which causes people to be more critical of him and so on and so forth.

I admit I can be extremely wrong here, I haven't watched him since 2016.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I think the problem with Razorfist(well, a problem. The biggest I've encountered of his was the time he threw a random insult at Jim Sterling's wife, who is not a public figure) is that he is terrible with admitting when he was wrong, instead angrily shouting out critics and doubling down on his held position. He is hardly alone in this but his entire presentation is not one which lets him admit to having been in the wrong.

When it comes to Trump he was quite early in supporting him, and part of Trump's victory was due to being a political outsider, meaning some of his supporters saw him as someone that could upend a bad system. Then we've had four years of his rule, four years during which people have had possibility to reflect on him and his policies. Some are bound to have been disappointed and if they followed Razorfist they might've expressed their disappointment to him which he's terrible at handling. So then he'd look for thing reinforces his beliefs, which causes people to be more critical of him, which leads him to more crazy beliefs, which causes people to be more critical of him and so on and so forth.

I remember hearing he used to be a shock jocky at whatever college he used to go to but was fired for being pretty racists/sexist. He's basically Howard Stern, but not acting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

As I said before, two sides of the same coin. FTR, Bob was the one that started beef with Razor, but neither came off smelling like prim roses.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For what it's worth:
Bob, screw off. Lindsey does not even consider you that. Not even an acquaintance. You are the leech and annoyance that won't go away. At least you attempted an apgology; however pathetic it was. Thank you for the link, @Bedinsis.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Going back to Moviebob for a second - I'm surprised that this thing with L.E. is what finally caused him to close up his twitter, particularly after the hate magnet he's become at times during various internet kerfuffles. I'd be tempted to say its a bit different with L.E. given her popularity (she's apparently #14 on patreon in terms of subscribers which is nuts given she is one in an ocean of movie reviewers), but he's gone head first into some serious shit before.

Seems like he is still posting videos though so maybe he's just keeping his head down.
Fun fact he only closed 1 of his accounts, the other is still open

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Bob, screw off. Lindsey does not even consider you that. Not even an acquaintance. You are the leech and annoyance that won't go away. At least you attempted an apgology; however pathetic it was. Thank you for the link, @Bedinsis.
They are operating in the same public sphere doing very similar things. Why are you acting as Ellis' mouthpiece anyway? She isn't reading this thread.

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Fun fact he only closed 1 of his accounts, the other is still open

Looks like they're both open again, but I can't help but notice that both his professional and non-professional accounts are pretty much talking politics which is kind of interesting. Like. Why bother having two then. I can understand wanting to talk about politics and making a space for yourself to do so, but whats the point of dual accounts if they both do the same kind of thing.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They are operating in the same public sphere doing very similar things. Why are you acting as Ellis' mouthpiece anyway? She isn't reading this thread.
She may not be reading the thread, but I don't care. It's pretty clear she wants nothing to do with Bob. Nada. Zip. Zero. I don't support stalking. And I do not care about your approval or opinion about it. Thank you very much.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
She may not be reading the thread, but I don't care. It's pretty clear she wants nothing to do with Bob. Nada. Zip. Zero. I don't support stalking. And I do not care about your approval or opinion about it. Thank you very much.
I just wondered if you became psychic. I've seen What Women Want. There are uses for such a gift. Too bad it's still only Mel.

Status
Not open for further replies.