Oh hey, MovieBob got fired (Or let go)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe I'm just blind and somehow don't see it on there but this seems like a very strange thing to announce...basically seemingly everywhere EXCEPT for on The Escapist Dot Com

EDIT: To speak of MB I suppose, I haven't watched really any of his videos since he got canned the first time. Maybe he got a lot better about it but so many of his videos just went on these weird-ass nerd tangents about how nerd culture isn't respected and whatnot and that The Amazing Spiderman 2 was the worst thing that has ever happened to Mankind in the history of the world. Then once you got a look at some of his....interesting viewpoints on Twitter as he was getting let go and my interest in him just kind of faded away.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
For someone whose sole interaction with the Escapist has been the forums, why is this significant?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Since the rules say "Therefore criticism, harassment, shaming, or any action deemed by the moderators or staff to be inflammatory or abusive towards an Escapist staff member, contributor, or moderator is expressly forbidden" does that mean we can criticize him now since he's no longer with The Escapist?

Reactions: gorfias

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Well that's a shame since I do like his big picture and game over thinker videos. Guess he wants to be like Jim and make more unfiltered content.

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Game Overthinker was on here too? Never noticed. Then again, I mostly looked for The Big Picture whenever he did spotlights on weird and obscure bits of geek culture, and rarely paid attention to his other work.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Maybe I'm just blind and somehow don't see it on there but this seems like a very strange thing to announce...basically seemingly everywhere EXCEPT for on The Escapist Dot Com

EDIT: To speak of MB I suppose, I haven't watched really any of his videos since he got canned the first time. Maybe he got a lot better about it but so many of his videos just went on these weird-ass nerd tangents about how nerd culture isn't respected and whatnot and that The Amazing Spiderman 2 was the worst thing that has ever happened to Mankind in the history of the world. Then once you got a look at some of his....interesting viewpoints on Twitter as he was getting let go and my interest in him just kind of faded away.
The last video I watched from him that I thought was good (and this was a long time ago) was the one where he talked about how to make a proper Super Mario movie by essentially reverse engineering it as if the original Super Mario Bros. was based on a movie. He was still getting irksome for me before that video but after that there wasn't anything I felt worth watching him for.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I was under the impression his continued employment at this sight was contingent on him laying off the late-night Tweets. What did he do this time?

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Until I hear something from either party on this, I'm going to go with the usual standby: There was a change in the price as part of the contract renewal and neither party was willing to budge.

Sniddy

Oct 16, 2020
Country
Moonbase
TBH they've blocked add blockers, so this site is dead to me now - Getting zero punc early would be nice, but I'm sorry you infest your site with adverts, and then force me to load them -if so you can go forth and multiply - I'll hang around a week or so incase it's a 'technical issue' but if not, well I'll watch bob and yartz on youtube thanks

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I've literally never seen a single thing MovieBob has ever done and I wouldn't recognise him if I walked right past him.

I do not feel like I've missed anything important.
He had from what I remember 3-4 good(read viral) videos about movie reviews. Off the top of my head the Batman Vs Superman movie, Suicide Squad, Joker and that one Adam Sandler plays video games one.
Outside of that I think he wrote a few books?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, he won't be missed. I stopped caring for Bob in 2013, so nothing new. You shall fall in to obscurity just like Channel Awesome/TGWTHG.

The problem with Bob was just that he was just another self-hating, know-nothing-know-it-all, contrarian, nerd who claimed not to be like "those other nerds". The fact he needs to constantly insult others for having differing opinions or being fans of something he does not like made me lose respect for him. Dude always has to pin the blame on someone or something other than him self. Unless he's back to in to a corner and has reluctantly admit it or for convenience.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I can't believe I'm doing this considering I've been lets say put on blast on twitter by Bob in the past and was then blocked immediately after he did it. I don't think he should have been let go

I feel something almost close to bad to seeing him go.

It might just be the proximity to the election or just Bob reverting back I did notice his content starting to slide more political or little jabs sliding in but after the other month with the big jab he did seem to back drawn back to just "Donald Trump is to blame for Coronavirus" jabs and not more than about that. I don't think that was the best direction for his content to push more overtly political but given Bob's twitter is worse I'd say it wasn't that bad.

Well that's a shame since I do like his big picture and game over thinker videos. Guess he wants to be like Jim and make more unfiltered content.
That's honestly the last thing he should be allowed to do. His content was vastly improved with the filter stopping him making a political jab every 30 seconds.

Well you always have to laugh at his takes.
Mostly so you don't weep for humanity though.

He had from what I remember 3-4 good(read viral) videos about movie reviews. Off the top of my head the Batman Vs Superman movie, Suicide Squad, Joker and that one Adam Sandler plays video games one.
Outside of that I think he wrote a few books?
Hey his Pixels review went pretty virals just because of how nasty he was to it, also his Early Transformers one.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Since the rules say "Therefore criticism, harassment, shaming, or any action deemed by the moderators or staff to be inflammatory or abusive towards an Escapist staff member, contributor, or moderator is expressly forbidden" does that mean we can criticize him now since he's no longer with The Escapist?
That's always been how it's worked previously. People leave = fair game.

I'd still like to get an official word on this though.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I can't believe I'm doing this considering I've been lets say put on blast on twitter by Bob in the past and was then blocked immediately after he did it. I don't think he should have been let go

I feel something almost close to bad to seeing him go.

It might just be the proximity to the election or just Bob reverting back I did notice his content starting to slide more political or little jabs sliding in but after the other month with the big jab he did seem to back drawn back to just "Donald Trump is to blame for Coronavirus" jabs and not more than about that. I don't think that was the best direction for his content to push more overtly political but given Bob's twitter is worse I'd say it wasn't that bad.

That's honestly the last thing he should be allowed to do. His content was vastly improved with the filter stopping him making a political jab every 30 seconds.

Mostly so you don't weep for humanity though.

Hey his Pixels review went pretty virals just because of how nasty he was to it, also his Early Transformers one.
Are you a person of high social recognition Dwarv?

Status
Not open for further replies.