Oh hey, new Overwatch short.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
B-Cell said:
Bombiz said:
B-Cell said:
So overwatch in general is animu girly FPS. great!!
@B-Cell how is Overwatch animu or girly? also when does using melee only in Shadow warrior get fun?
melee is not only fun in shadow warrior despite it has best meelee in FPS game. its fast paced old school badass game. and sequel looks even bigger.
@B-Cell When is it fun to use melee only though? Or for that matter at all? Feel like I need to get half way through the game before I can do anything remotely fun that isn't just 'slash slash stab slash block slash'.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Bombiz said:
B-Cell said:
Bombiz said:
B-Cell said:
@B-Cell how is Overwatch animu or girly? also when does using melee only in Shadow warrior get fun?
melee is not only fun in shadow warrior despite it has best meelee in FPS game. its fast paced old school badass game. and sequel looks even bigger.
@B-CellWhen is it fun to use melee only though? Or for that matter at all? Feel like I need to get half way through the game before I can do anything remotely fun that isn't just 'slash slash stab slash block slash'.
Bombiz, from what I have seen on previous threads created and commented on by B-cell, this person is a little... opinionated on games. Other forum members have had odd comments from B-cell before, just run a check on the forum to see.

Don't expect an answer that makes "sense".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
B-Cell said:
Bombiz said:
B-Cell said:
The melee in Shadow Warrior kinda sucked. Melee in first person in general kinda sucks because it's freaking impossible to tell where your body is in relation to everything else.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
erttheking said:
B-Cell said:
Bombiz said:
B-Cell said:
The melee in Shadow Warrior kinda sucked. Melee in first person in general kinda sucks because it's freaking impossible to tell where your body is in relation to everything else.
Really?

I got through almost the whole game using nothing but the sword thrust attack.

I won't say it was particularly fun, but it sure was effective.

(Granted, I'm kind of a sucker for first person melee. I think it could be awesome if done right. Please don't suck Mirror's Edge 2, pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tpleasedon'tsu...)

Funnily enough the game had some kind of cross-promotion thing going on because it gave me the option to turn the sword into, of all bloody things, Molly's climbing axe from Telltale's Walking Dead. So I went through the game stabbing everything with the blunt part of a piece of bright yellow mountaineering equipment.

Turned the whole game into (even more of) a joke. Every now and again a character would say, "Something something super mega dragon sword of destiny something," and I'd have to stop a think for a second before going, "Oh right, they mean my climbing axe here."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Oh it was an effective weapon, but it was a pain in the ass to use. Felt clunky. Granted I only did a couple of levels before I got bored.

I was talking more about fun factor than effectiveness.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, finally saw it. General thoughts:

-Not sure about the timing of the piece. It doesn't seem to follow Recall all that much given that there's no mention of Tracer having been in contact with Winston, yet her actions in the shot would apparently contravene the Petras Act. Maybe it takes place late in Overwatch's storyline post-Hollywood map, by which point Overwatch seems to have reformed (yes, I keep up to date with Overwatch lore, how could you tell?) Though on the other hand, maybe this takes place before Recall, and Talon's actions here are the cause of the Second Omnic Crisis. Because while people certainly have plenty of reasons to hate omnics, I'm sure having a religious figure assassinated is sure to give omnics reasons to hate back.

-Though on the subject of hate, robosexuality is now possibly a thing in the setting. Thanks Blizz. 0_0

-The security guard by the omnic figure...Dalton Brooks, is that you?

-Oh I see, the crowd doesn't hear any gunfire, but an explosion is what finally sets them off.

-Speaking of gunfire, action is excellent. Widowmaker seems to have taken a lesson or two from Peter Parker in regards to how she gets around (which makes Tracer...um...Iron Man? Got the chest thing at least).

-Tracer pinning Widowmaker...to quote Doug Walker, "YOU KNOWWW!"

-On a slightly more sombre thought, the shot's reinforced the reason why Tracer is probably my favorite character so far, and no, it's not out of the whole Tracer/Widowmaker 'thing' that the fandom has latched onto, it's because so far she's shown herself to be the most compassionate hero so far. In the museum, she takes time out for the boys and gives them encouragement and reassurement. Here, she's visibly distressed by the omnic being killed and outright asks Widowmaker why she would do this. There's a childlike innocence to Tracer here that manages to heat the sweet spot of being endearing, yet not too cheesy. Not exactly deep characterization, but in a world where FPS protagonists are usually killers of various degrees, it's nice to see someone who has these traits, even if it's only confined to shorts so far.