Oh look, another Dark Souls is lame thread.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I will disagree with you on the overall quality of the game, I will agree with you on the fact that Dark Souls really doesn't explain important parts of its systems. While the combat stuff is well-explained in the tutorial, none of the pictures-as-stats are explained and there is no specific indication of why some weapons are unusable/ineffectively equipped.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
I also kept Sif's soul for far too long because killing Sif felt terribly, terribly bad.
I still have Sif's soul too. =(

If From released a "Resurrect Sif" DLC they would make a hundred billion dollars.
Wear Artorias' Gear, wield his sword, hold his shield, pay a million souls, get Sif back from the undead dead and ride him into the sunset.

Also, cuddle him and playfight him. Every day.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Casual Shinji said:
That's why you generally farm in a spot you're familiar with, near a bonfire. I don't know where you farmed, but I never found anything of what you described happening to me when I was farming. And I died loads of times in Dark Souls. Also, farming should make you become more familiar with enemy attacks and weaknesses as you continue farming. To a point where you could almost do it with your eyes closed.

And just as with humanity, you will find tons of souls you can keep in your inventory for a rainy day. Unless ofcourse you use them on the spot. So even if you die and your equipment is in a dire state you can just use one of these big souls to get your stuff fixed pronto.
Yeah. I have to agree with this. I'm firmly in the "Dark Souls can occasionally be very cheap" camp, but farming is quite safe. You just pick an area near a bonfire and farm your little heart out. You don't plow ahead into mysterious areas. That's not farming. That's adventuring, and it's supposed to get you killed.
My favourite spot was always the jail in the Dukes' Archives with the Cthulhu jellyfish.
I always considered the castle in Anor Londo to be a really good place to farm. Starting at the bonfire where you see Solaire, running up one pathway to the top, then down the other side back to the bonfire. Before the Pyromancy nerf I was able to 1 shot Silver Knights with Great Fireball and I could rack up 30k souls in about a minute or two. About 50-60k+ in NG+. Of course, I didn't have a fully upgraded flame at that time so I dunno if you can do that now. But once I couldn't, I just parried them all. Quick, clean, lucrative.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Exius Xavarus said:
Casual Shinji said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Casual Shinji said:
That's why you generally farm in a spot you're familiar with, near a bonfire. I don't know where you farmed, but I never found anything of what you described happening to me when I was farming. And I died loads of times in Dark Souls. Also, farming should make you become more familiar with enemy attacks and weaknesses as you continue farming. To a point where you could almost do it with your eyes closed.

And just as with humanity, you will find tons of souls you can keep in your inventory for a rainy day. Unless ofcourse you use them on the spot. So even if you die and your equipment is in a dire state you can just use one of these big souls to get your stuff fixed pronto.
Yeah. I have to agree with this. I'm firmly in the "Dark Souls can occasionally be very cheap" camp, but farming is quite safe. You just pick an area near a bonfire and farm your little heart out. You don't plow ahead into mysterious areas. That's not farming. That's adventuring, and it's supposed to get you killed.
My favourite spot was always the jail in the Dukes' Archives with the Cthulhu jellyfish.
I always considered the castle in Anor Londo to be a really good place to farm. Starting at the bonfire where you see Solaire, running up one pathway to the top, then down the other side back to the bonfire. Before the Pyromancy nerf I was able to 1 shot Silver Knights with Great Fireball and I could rack up 30k souls in about a minute or two. About 50-60k+ in NG+. Of course, I didn't have a fully upgraded flame at that time so I dunno if you can do that now. But once I couldn't, I just parried them all. Quick, clean, lucrative.
That's a very good spot too.

In NG+ I even found the hallway infront of the Ornstein and Smough battle a good place to farm some souls. This was after I had defeated them ofcourse. I'd use the bonfire at the princess, run back to the hallway and sneak up to that giant knight and shove a crystal soul spear up its ass. Then take care of the archer knight, lure the second giant knight up the first flight of stairs, jump down, wait for him to follow and turn its back on me, and finish him off with another crystal soul spear.

I don't remember how much, but those giant knights went for a lot of souls in NG+.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
That's the problem. "A bit of farming" becomes absolutely horrendous when you have to do it all over again because you slipped and forgot just how fast that demon could attack you, or mistimed a parry, or went too far afield before heading back to the bonfire, or didn't use a homeward bone the instant you beat a boss, subsequently fell off a very poorly-drawn cliff, lost 80000 souls and five humanity in an instant, and through further mischance died again on the way to reclaiming them. Souls are important, and it's hardly a "little" while before they stop being so; leveling is one thing, but repairs, item shopping, and the all-important equipment upgrades also require increasing amounts. And the worst part is that there's no goddamn reason for it, unless there's a hardware limitation. Why do the souls disappear after the second death? The only way that makes sense is a hardware limitation or to discourage people from grinding, the latter of which can hardly be the case in a game that is basically grinding and rote memorization in purest form.

Humanity is also hardly useless if you want to kindle new bonfires, have any kind of decent item discovery rate, advance in a number of covenants, or do absolutely anything online or summoning-related...in other words, literally pretty much everything involving the covenants. Since humanity is rarely gained spontaneously, NPCs are a limited resource, and only a couple of enemies in the game drop humanity, and because death is omnipresent, humanity items don't last long.

And the only truly convenient shortcuts require either the Master Key (the tower to Darkroot Basin, the door to the valley below Firelink) or the Lordvessel, with maybe a passing mention to the moss lady's sewer for the thirty times one has to fight the Capra demon. Otherwise, there's still a slog to get anywhere, and even enemies that can be sprinted past can kill you easily if you misstep.
Where are you farming? There are plenty of relatively safe spots to farm for souls in large amounts and even if you die, the spot isn't that far from you and you can easily reclaim your souls. Unless you're really bad at the game getting a large amount of souls in a decent amount of time should not be a problem. Souls are like this because the game wants to be hard. that's sort of the point. It's supposed to punish you for making mistakes. And no it's not a huge over the top punishment, souls are really easy to get after a certain part of the game. I have never ever had a problem with souls. If i ever needed a large amount i would just put on my silver serpent ring and go to the spot before you fight Sif where the forest hunters are. Every upgrade, shop purchase, and level i missed due to dying out on was very quickly recouped by doing a few rotations there.

As for humanity, i never kindled bonfires. I usually found that 5 estus flasks was plenty for most situations, and besides, humanity usually comes in the form of items that you don't lose when you die. Unless you tried to upgrade all of the bonfires to max humanity should not have been a problem. As for covenants, only two of the nine covenants actually use humanity. Other than chaos servants and the darkwraiths, all the other covenants used their own unique items if they had ranks.

And for shortcuts, there are plenty of minor shortcuts in the game. Doors you can open, bridges you can drop, etc. Also the master key isn't required for a lot of things. You can skip the depths and blighttown by taking a shortcut through darkroot basin (that leads to the valley below firelink).

That's the problem, it's minimalist to the point where you don't even matter. There's certainly lore aplenty, but none of it has any connection to you ('cept maybe the DLC, I suppose, but the game didn't say how to do that, so I missed it). The bosses you fight have identities and histories, except in the context of the game, when they're just obstacles. The areas have mysteries and stories, except in the context of your actions, when they're just there to hide stuff you might want and give you a chance to go from one place to another. The MC has no personality of their own, and is hinted in the beginning to just be J. Random Schmuck who's more talented than the scores of Chosen Undead who've already failed and by coincidence happens to be the only undead in the world who's genuinely immortal. I always have to contrast Dark Souls to Soulbringer, a game that used a similar approach but gave the MC a speaking role and made most of the discoverable world-building lore explain how things got the way they are, how they relate to what you're doing, and hint at things to come, rather than the DS method of explaining why things are the way they are ten hours after it could possibly matter, if it ever did. I could see random factoids like Ceaseless Discharge being the son of the witch of Izalith, that not all pyromancy comes from the Great Swamp, or literally anything about the Painted World being great to include in a tabletop RPG, but not in a limited video game where you play a blank slate.

The only NPCs I noticed who had story arcs were Solaire, who was eminently ignorable after he gives you the white soapstone, and Siegmyer, who was the only exception to my bitching and I actually liked, possibly because I could interact with him more than once (okay, Solaire was actually twice).
Not all stories have to involve the main character. Dark Souls paints a world that's already pretty much been destroyed and it does it very well. You're not supposed to be some special hero that's here to fix the world, the game tries its best to paint you as J. Random Shmuck who just wandered into the world and then decided to try and ring those bells. The game even tells you that you aren't the only person on this quest and there are many other people going after the same thing you are, and that you aren't special. That's sort of the point.

As for story arcs, the biggest ones come from solaire (who appears at numerous parts throughout the game), Sigmeier who does the same as solaire, Logan who appears at sens fortress and plays his main story out at the archives, and Rhea who plays most of her story out at firelink and at the tomb of giants.

solaire - in the end he either goes insane because he couldn't find his son and finds an insect that emits light. When you meet him he's wearing this insect on his head and tries to kill you. if you kill the insects before he gets there, he helps you fight gwyn. You can interact with solaire multiple times throughout the game.

Sigmeier - You help him at multiple points through the game but eventually you discover his daugter who's another knight that's coming to find her father. In the end the daughter kills Sigmeyer because he went full hollow and tried to kill her.

Logan - When you save him, you later find him in the archives trapped again. Saving him there opens up a special magic shop that sells new more powerful sorcery spells. If you buy all the spells from him he goes insane trying to research seath the scaleless, and tries to kill you.

Rhea - you find her in the catacombs abandoned by petrus. If you rescue her she appears back at firelink shrine. If you leave her alone petrus murders her, but if you buy all of her spells she gets kidnapped by the mages you fight at the archives. You find her hollowed in one of the cells in the archive prison.

All the other characters have minor stories that are revealed through conversation.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
poiumty said:
Drow. Seriously. Stop. Most of what you're saying is misinformed and the result of your rushing through without a shield. Your experience was hardly an optimal one to criticize the game with and if you gave it a bit more time you might have realised that.
Fuck you, too. Just because I don't talk about this game in the group doesn't mean I need to be silent about it elsewhere...although maybe I should talk about it more often, if you seriously think a shield is the reason I wasn't enjoying myself. I suppose you're right, in order to fix the unintuitive bullshit the game throws at you, a shield was all that was needed. A shield could have worked like a permanent ring of sacrifice and immediately counteracted the occasional bout of random bad luck. I could have gotten immersed if I'd abandoned the playstyle I chose and grew better at if I'd just let myself be railroaded into a heavy armor/shield fighter type. And if I'd just had the ability to block, that would have transformed most of the "story" into something other than a scavenger hunt of complete irrelevancy and the main story into something other than a glorified fetch quest that tries to herd you into a dickpunch ending.

Really, you seem to think the game's difficulty is what drove me away. That difficulty was the only thing that kept me playing; the only thing it may have indirectly affected was how frustrating exploration started to feel. It's just that I distinguish between difficulty and frustrating dickishness on the part of the game creators, and losing your dropped souls the second time you die is the rough equivalent of a game erasing your most recent save files when you die. Except every game I've seen do that at least had the excuse of trying to discourage save scumming.

lapan said:
Souls dissapearing after two deaths is a conscious decision by the developers. It's a similar system as in Diablo 1, only less punishing as in the later you would even lose your equipment. Protip: If you wear a Ring of Sacrifice while trying to pick the souls up the bloodstain won't dissapear if you die.
What a coincidence, I hated Diablo, too (I'm pretty sure Everquest and Final Fantasy XI did something similar with items and experience). Since I only found maybe five rings of sacrifice in the entire game, including Rare ones, they disappear after one use, and I really liked using two actual helpful rings (especially the slumbering dragoncrest and Havel's rings), they didn't help me much.

Humanity isn't hard to come by anymore as rats and the ghosts in the DLC have a rather decent droprate.
The DLC is a whole other story, but yes, I did eventually start grinding humanity out of rats. Unfortunately, that was because I needed them to try farming titanite slabs (having already lost all the rest of my humanity to constant death and humanity items to get my Red Orb), which was frustrating and pointless but entirely my own fault.

Casual Shinji said:
Burst6 said:
Where are you farming? There are plenty of relatively safe spots to farm for souls in large amounts and even if you die, the spot isn't that far from you and you can easily reclaim your souls.
I started farming around the first bonfire in Undead Burg (frustrating time, due to my inexperience and unwillingness to let that black knight live). Then I used the trick with the bridge wyvern (which got boring pretty quick). Then I farmed the Baldur knights in the parish (risky, especially with my playstyle, and I had to restart my grind every so often due to a missed parry, getting double-teamed, or getting swarmed by upstairs zombies). Then I farmed the Forest Covenant people (extremely risky, even after I put those souls to use). Then the stone giant and royal sentinel on top of Sen's Fortress. Eventually, I wound up farming the two royal sentinels and the silver knight near the Smaug & Finklestein bonfire, and then the darkwraiths in lower New Londo, but those were for titanite chunks and slabs, not souls.

That was around the point where I was pretty confident in my build and didn't really need to farm for souls. In fact, that was about the point where I realized that when I was carrying few to no souls, the game suddenly became fun again, so I started deliberately using any excess to bump up my supply of arrows, firebombs, and prism stones. The instant I didn't need to worry about the immersion-breaking threat of my progress being reversed, it was suddenly possible to enjoy myself.

...sort of. That's also when the Duke's Archives, Izalith, and the Catacombs opened up, so the game became frustrating and immersion-breaking for other reasons.

As for humanity, i never kindled bonfires. I usually found that 5 estus flasks was plenty for most situations, and besides, humanity usually comes in the form of items that you don't lose when you die.
Was that before or after you already knew where all the trouble spots were? I would never have finished the game if I only had five flasks. As it was, it took me 124 hours.

Not all stories have to involve the main character. Dark Souls paints a world that's already pretty much been destroyed and it does it very well. You're not supposed to be some special hero that's here to fix the world, the game tries its best to paint you as J. Random Shmuck who just wandered into the world and then decided to try and ring those bells. The game even tells you that you aren't the only person on this quest and there are many other people going after the same thing you are, and that you aren't special. That's sort of the point.
Um...yes, they kinda do. That's the very definition of a protagonist. It's even more important in the case of interactive fiction.

Granted, most of the problem in that came from my own hangups. When I play a character with no personality, I have to substitute my own, and the only in-game reason I had for doing the bell thing was "shits and giggles" (hell, the only out-of-game reason I had was "because that's how the game progresses"). The game certainly made me feel like J. Random Schmuck and my character an amnesiac version of the same, but then why would the unesteemed Mr. Schmuck and his amnesiac better half give two shits, as opposed to simply making friends with the Crestfallen Warrior and living it up at Firelink? And even when you get to the halfway point and get a tangible goal, the world is basically dead, and none of the lore you can piece together matters even if you go with the dickpunch ending and reset everything. That combination of nihilistic reflection of when the world was awesome functional and the realization that none of it had anything to do with me anyway beyond "this is why there's a giant wolf/lava monster/drider/tree currently in my way" just bred apathy.

character snip
I admit, I forgot about Rhea (I did save her in the Catacombs, but after doing that and shoving my rapier down Patches' throat, I figured that was the end of it), but the thing with Logan is a story arc? I rescued him from prison twice, but he didn't even have the personality of the pyromancer I saved from cannibalization, and I interacted with him in about the same way (rescue, then shop). Hell, if I hadn't mistaken him for a podium and killed him on accident, I'd have never run into him a final time. Solaire wasn't especially interesting beyond giving me an item (apparently, you can summon him in boss fights, but I only used one summon the entire game; Mildred was silent, but do most summons talk when you summon them?), and I almost shanked him on my own just because it seemed he would try to kill me soon (<color=aliceblue>I waited a little too long and had to kill him anyway, but I guess his descent into madness was happy, so that's good).

And if that's the way Sigmeier's story ends, I'm glad I didn't run into him again after Izalith. I actually liked him, and he always felt like he was talking to my character rather than talking at her (a trait only shared by Andre, who sadly never moves).

loa

Jan 28, 2012
What is it with all that farming talk?
You don't need to farm at all in dark souls so all your problems related to it are self inflicted.
Grinding for souls is highly optional and best done by playing co op and helping others kill bosses which also eliminates any risk of losing anything at all while giving you soft humanity and a sunbro medal if you succeed.

The only thing you ever need to grind for are titanite slabs and chunks but only if you absolutely need more than 1 maxed weapon and all parts of your armor upgraded to the max (which is not a requirement to proceed).
Otherwise, pickups are enough to get you through the game.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Name me a single game, at all, where dying costs you more than time. One game. You can't, because it doesn't, at all. At least Dark Souls goes further than most games in punishing death. What does death cost you in NGB?

You know what, I'm going to do this systematically because I don't know how to address things fluently:

1. The Drake Sword. Really. You're complaining about getting overpowered by groups when you have 200 attack power and a shockwave R2. And groups of...tree demons...I assume, at that. Darke Sword is going to get old real fast, but at the moment I would not expect to be having trouble with it.
2. As you've now realised, running is explained.
3. In Dark Souls you are not a ninja. You are barely a human. I would expect combat to be a bit more dangerous for the player and require more strategy. It is, at times, a matter of positioning, but take away your shield and it speeds up pretty quickly, not that it was an issue in the first place. Also, boss fights.
4. Fighting groups can get you killed, because fighting groups is a stupid thing to do. I don't know exactly what NGB does, but from your description, it seems like it condones rushing into a group and expecting to survive. But once again, you are not a ninja in Dark Souls.
5. Speak for yourself when you say you can't fight groups and that renders fast combat impossible. Have you tried being mobile? Have you tried two-handing when you strike? Have you tried riposting? All of these are alternatives to circling behind an enemy until you reach the backstab window.
6. How many weapons with unique movesets are there in NGB? 11 from what I count from the FAQ you linked, whether or not that is a comprehensive list. At any rate it's safe to say Dark Souls has more, being practically every weapon. So please put away the variety card.
7. Wait a second, you couldn't figure it out on your own, so you used a wiki instead of persisting, and that's the developer's fault for not giving you the information on a silver platter? Part of Dark Souls is figuring things out. It's not trial and error, it's using your intelligence. Most of the traps in Dark Souls are detectable. You can look into other areas and see enemies. The elevator in Sen's Fortress has blood on it and you can watch the chain's movements to figure out what it will do. The first time, a Mimic will probably eat you, but the chests are subtly different from regular chests. The Duke's Archives have many places where a small area is attached to the main corridor and if you don't check you'll get sideswiped. And if you're sloppy I don't see why all your souls and humanity isn't a reasonable thing to lose. Another semi-mechanic of Dark Souls' is that you play very cautiously when you have a lot of souls, but when you lose them and can't get them back it's liberating and lets you change your approach.
8. Knowing something and knowing to DO something are related. For instance, I can know the enemy configuration of the next area. But I need reflexes, and instinctual knowledge of their attacks to risposte them and to dodge attacks, especially against bosses. That's the same knowledge you use in Ninja Gaiden.
9. The developer did not put in "grind-points", and if you're exploiting the Drake on the bridge, you should be ashamed of yourself.
10. There are developer soapstone messages that will be revealed if you use the Guidance miracle. Otherwise, yeah, there aren't any warnings. You complain that it isn't a 'hardcore' game and also that it doesn't pander to you enough. Most illusory walls are either obvious against their surroundings or you can see what's behind them visibly, and that's about the one thing I think you'd need orange soapstone messages for. Even the Crystal Caves have their own indicators (you'll see when you get to it).

Look...tl;dr, you're barely any way into the game, you're using the wiki for every second thing, you can't be bothered figuring things out for yourself, you think you should be able to hop around the battlefield with enough 'skill' (hint: get the DWGR) and you don't think you need any skill to execute ripostes or dodge attacks, only knowledge. Try beating Ornstein and Smough in a plodding fashion then tell me more about how fast combat doesn't work and positioning is all you need.

Maybe you just don't like Dark Souls. Play another game, don't complain that it isn't hardcore enough for you.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
I started farming around the first bonfire in Undead Burg (frustrating time, due to my inexperience and unwillingness to let that black knight live). Then I used the trick with the bridge wyvern (which got boring pretty quick). Then I farmed the Baldur knights in the parish (risky, especially with my playstyle, and I had to restart my grind every so often due to a missed parry, getting double-teamed, or getting swarmed by upstairs zombies). Then I farmed the Forest Covenant people (extremely risky, even after I put those souls to use). Then the stone giant and royal sentinel on top of Sen's Fortress. Eventually, I wound up farming the two royal sentinels and the silver knight near the Smaug & Finklestein bonfire, and then the darkwraiths in lower New Londo, but those were for titanite chunks and slabs, not souls.

That was around the point where I was pretty confident in my build and didn't really need to farm for souls. In fact, that was about the point where I realized that when I was carrying few to no souls, the game suddenly became fun again, so I started deliberately using any excess to bump up my supply of arrows, firebombs, and prism stones. The instant I didn't need to worry about the immersion-breaking threat of my progress being reversed, it was suddenly possible to enjoy myself.

...sort of. That's also when the Duke's Archives, Izalith, and the Catacombs opened up, so the game became frustrating and immersion-breaking for other reasons.
Forest Covenant is risky? I go through those guys without any problem. That's by far the best way to get souls in the game. Even at the start i barely ever died to them.

Was that before or after you already knew where all the trouble spots were? I would never have finished the game if I only had five flasks. As it was, it took me 124 hours.
It was before. Maybe it's because i was already used to the gameplay from demons souls. Usually monsters never did much damage as long as i kept a decent shield and went in carefully. Most of my deaths in the game didn't come from estus flask shortage, they usually came from being killed really quickly by a strong enemy or falling off something. I almost never kindled my bonfires (mostly out of laziness) and i finished the game the first time rather quickly. It took me about 15 hours.

NeutralDrow said:
Um...yes, they kinda do. That's the very definition of a protagonist. It's even more important in the case of interactive fiction.

Granted, most of the problem in that came from my own hangups. When I play a character with no personality, I have to substitute my own, and the only in-game reason I had for doing the bell thing was "shits and giggles" (hell, the only out-of-game reason I had was "because that's how the game progresses"). The game certainly made me feel like J. Random Schmuck and my character an amnesiac version of the same, but then why would the unesteemed Mr. Schmuck and his amnesiac better half give two shits, as opposed to simply making friends with the Crestfallen Warrior and living it up at Firelink? And even when you get to the halfway point and get a tangible goal, the world is basically dead, and none of the lore you can piece together matters even if you go with the dickpunch ending and reset everything. That combination of nihilistic reflection of when the world was awesome functional and the realization that none of it had anything to do with me anyway beyond "this is why there's a giant wolf/lava monster/drider/tree currently in my way" just bred apathy.

character snip

I admit, I forgot about Rhea (I did save her in the Catacombs, but after doing that and shoving my rapier down Patches' throat, I figured that was the end of it), but the thing with Logan is a story arc? I rescued him from prison twice, but he didn't even have the personality of the pyromancer I saved from cannibalization, and I interacted with him in about the same way (rescue, then shop). Hell, if I hadn't mistaken him for a podium and killed him on accident, I'd have never run into him a final time. Solaire wasn't especially interesting beyond giving me an item (apparently, you can summon him in boss fights, but I only used one summon the entire game; Mildred was silent, but do most summons talk when you summon them?), and I almost shanked him on my own just because it seemed he would try to kill me soon (<color=aliceblue>I waited a little too long and had to kill him anyway, but I guess his descent into madness was happy, so that's good).

And if that's the way Sigmeier's story ends, I'm glad I didn't run into him again after Izalith. I actually liked him, and he always felt like he was talking to my character rather than talking at her (a trait only shared by Andre, who sadly never moves).
This is pretty much depended on taste. Well, i guess this whole thing is dependent on taste, but this especially. I personally like it when the character isn't anything special and the world is hopeless.

As for your question of why mr shmuck would give two shits, the story says that over time you go insane and turn into one of those insane hollow that wander around the undead burg. I'm guessing he/she cares because it's either slowly go insane and turn into a mindless zombie, or do something that's at least exciting and has basically no consequence since you're immortal. Considering the classes you start with, i think it's safe to say your character is a trained warrior of some kind.

Also, dickpunch ending? Which one is that. They're both pretty dickpunchy.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Burst6 said:
Forest Covenant is risky? I go through those guys without any problem. That's by far the best way to get souls in the game. Even at the start i barely ever died to them.
I played in wanderer armor the whole game (it was the heaviest armor I could use with my stats without losing fast roll), my gameplay was focused on speed and riposting, I dual-wielded a rapier/parrying dagger[footnote]At that point. My style by the end of the game was mostly shooting things with Pharis' bow or frying them with Quelag's Furysword. I had surprisingly little trouble with the bosses in the game, barring Sif and the Stray and Capra Demons.[/footnote], most of my stat increases went to Dex and End at the start, and I was playing with mediocre graphics and 15 fps at the best of times. Since I also got to the area pretty early (grinding against baldur knights until I got the Astorias Crest), I couldn't take many hits and I still had to work against my computer to make the playstyle work. I loved the playstyle and made it work for me, but it was pretty late in the game before I mastered it. As it was, I had to be especially careful not to get hit at all (even the sorcerer could pack a punch, to say nothing of the rogue's poison or the bandit's axe), and not to fight more than one at a time.

Not to mention I required quite a bit of room to maneuver, and fell off that cliff near the bandit an embarrassing number of times. >_>

Also, I just realized I accidentally overinflated the amount of time it took me, since I ran a couple of new characters through the beginning areas to test out heavy weaponry and pyromancy. Probably took me 90 hours on my main character.

This is pretty much depended on taste. Well, i guess this whole thing is dependent on taste, but this especially. I personally like it when the character isn't anything special and the world is hopeless.

As for your question of why mr shmuck would give two shits, the story says that over time you go insane and turn into one of those insane hollow that wander around the undead burg. I'm guessing he/she cares because it's either slowly go insane and turn into a mindless zombie, or do something that's at least exciting and has basically no consequence since you're immortal. Considering the classes you start with, i think it's safe to say your character is a trained warrior of some kind.
That's what I've pretty much written it up to, a difference in tastes, plus me having certain expectations and hangups about immersion. The way I get immersed in stories seems to be completely opposite, at times (Bastion is actually my favorite game example; I hated the way its story was told, but that's what everyone else seems to like).

I'm not sure about that explanation, or at least summing it up as anything but "boredom" as a reason. For some reason, I was the only truly immortal undead, but even with that immortality, there was the implication that dying was supposed to bring you even closer to insanity (like Andre admonishing me not to get myself killed, "no one wants to see you go hollow"). The most I can get past that is maybe sticking my tongue out at the Crestfallen Warrior and ringing the bells just to spite him...even though I would later find out that he's totally right about almost everything.

Also, dickpunch ending? Which one is that. They're both pretty dickpunchy.
From my perspective, one is dickpunchy, while the one I got was unexpectedly awesome.

If I had actually gotten the "Link the Fire" ending, I'd probably have screamed. In-game and in real life.

"Hooray, I get to perpetuate the system whose endpoint I've just seen where everything goes to shit! And all I need to do to make that happen is suffer 1000 years of incessant burning agony! All thanks to those wonderfully altruistic gods and serpents who manipulated me into doing so! What a lucky zombie I am! <color=red>DEARSWEETHOLLOWJESUSTHEPAIN!"

On the other hand, after a certain point, I just wanted to destroy the world for being so obtuse (and figured I'd be doing everyone a favor anyway), so I read the wiki to learn how to join the Darkwraiths and followed Kaathe's advice, figuring that even if I was betrayed, I'd have killed the sun itself.

Imagine my surprise when, after a fun final boss fight that I won on the first try (finally, a boss <url=http://i46.tinypic.com/bbm9c.jpg>vulnerable to ripostes!), it turns out the "evil" serpent was telling the truth the whole time, and not only was I not betrayed, but I <url=http://i50.tinypic.com/1zdn911.jpg>became the Dark Lord of all. And <url=http://i45.tinypic.com/2vd616g.jpg>I even managed to be human for it.

After a story that consistently failed to engage me, I got an ending where I succeeded beyond anything I'd dreamed, and for a brief moment even got into the mind of my character, and had one thought:

"Yeah. I like this..."

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Only 9 hours? your barely out of diapers at that point. Don't you think it's premature to make a full game opinion. I am 35 hours in and just rung the second bell. (fuck Blighttown).

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
s69-5 said:
Exius Xavarus said:
s69-5 said:
He actually somewhat reminds me of a more mobile version of Demon's Souls' "Adjuticator".
But Orstein and Smough remain as the only bosses I cannot beat without help from Solaire.
I dunno, I think the Vanguard would be a more comparable enemy. Just like the Stray Demon, it'll swing its weapon and turn at the same time, as well as flying into the air in attempt to butt-slam you. It's been a while so I might be misremembering, but the Adjudicator has a hard time hitting anything that isn't standing right in front of it. And you don't have to knock the Stray Demon on its back to actually hurt it.
It's possible.
I'll admit that I usually just pelt Vanguard between his shouder blades with arrows, so I've yet to bother fighting him up close.

Wait, I did whittle him down to almost nothing once in the tutorial, but then lost concentration for one split second. But that was only once and I really don't recall the specifics too much.

My comment was about the simple strategy I use to defeat both and how they are similar.
"10 o'clock goto 7 o'clock" becomes "12 o'clock goto 4 o'clock" (to evade his attack).

But your mileage may vary.

On another note: Hooray! Artorias of the Abyss for $7.50 on PSN. Just picked it up today. ^.^
Huh. I don't get messages when you quote me anymore. Odd. Ah well back on track; Can you damage Adjudicator by shooting arrows at the bird on its head? I've never really gotten into ranged combat styles with Demon's or Dark Souls, so I never really knew if that worked. And lucky. I bought Artorias of the Abyss at full price when it came out. :{

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
These threads are starting to get annoying.

Anytime ANYTHING gets popular, a shit ton of these threads pop up all over the place just to bash it not living up to unreasonable expectation set by the popularity.

If you don't like the game, that's fine. I don't care. But do you really need to go online and complain? And even then to complain after this dead horse has been beaten to dust to begin with?

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
Kheapathic said:
snip...
Andrew Andrew said:
... Fuck off.
Imagine a DmC response here.
Here, use this!

OP: It's fine that you don't like it, but not liking it because it isn't the game you like is kinda stupid. But even so, I feel that. I LOVE Dark Souls, then I went to try and play The Witcher 2, but because the gameplay was more clunky than DS I just couldn't struggle through it, not when I could be playing Dark Souls. It felt like Dark Souls but with worse combat, and by that time the story (which is why I was playing it) hadn't pulled me in. I'm not gonna say witcher was a "shit game" because I didn't like it...I realize it just wasn't for me/it was my fault for not liking it.
Own it man! It's a great game, but it doesn't float your boat. It's that easy!

Apr 25, 2009
Andrew Andrew said:
Digi7 said:
Oh dear, you are a terribly rude poppit aren't you? No icecream for you.

It's an experiment in archaic design, much like the first Zelda game, where you learn the patterns of the enemies and what is effective to progress. And there is ALWAYS room to make mistakes even with perfect knowledge, and if you lose the pattern or the flow of the adversaries they will chop off a third of your healthbar in a single swing as punishment.
That's not fair; you didn't tell me ice cream was on the line.

I love 1986 Zelda. Absolutely adore it. I played it for the first time since my childhood last month and couldn't believe how well designed it was. I can't get past dungeon 6 though. The like-likes keep eating my shield and then the ghost things eat my face.
Well I've got that wierd foamy stuff on the lid left if you want that?

Oh man, that game is fantastic. It still holds up to this day in it's design alone and it has so many open ways of completing it, and you can see how much it influenced future game design. And yeah, I still can't beat it to this day... It really is one of those games where most players will never see the ending.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
If I had actually gotten the "Link the Fire" ending, I'd probably have screamed. In-game and in real life.

"Hooray, I get to perpetuate the system whose endpoint I've just seen where everything goes to shit! And all I need to do to make that happen is suffer 1000 years of incessant burning agony! All thanks to those wonderfully altruistic gods and serpents who manipulated me into doing so! What a lucky zombie I am! <color=red>DEARSWEETHOLLOWJESUSTHEPAIN!"

On the other hand, after a certain point, I just wanted to destroy the world for being so obtuse (and figured I'd be doing everyone a favor anyway), so I read the wiki to learn how to join the Darkwraiths and followed Kaathe's advice, figuring that even if I was betrayed, I'd have killed the sun itself.

Imagine my surprise when, after a fun final boss fight that I won on the first try (finally, a boss <url=http://i46.tinypic.com/bbm9c.jpg>vulnerable to ripostes!), it turns out the "evil" serpent was telling the truth the whole time, and not only was I not betrayed, but I <url=http://i50.tinypic.com/1zdn911.jpg>became the Dark Lord of all. And <url=http://i45.tinypic.com/2vd616g.jpg>I even managed to be human for it.

After a story that consistently failed to engage me, I got an ending where I succeeded beyond anything I'd dreamed, and for a brief moment even got into the mind of my character, and had one thought:

"Yeah. I like this..."
Judging from what you hear about Kaathe in New Londo and the DLC his goal is spreading the Abyss over Lordram. He tricked both the people of New Londo and Oolacile to do so. Choosing the Dark Lord ending is likely to plunge the world in the Abyss sooner or later. Since that is the home of the serpents, they are the only ones that win

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
PrimitiveJudge said:
Only 9 hours? your barely out of diapers at that point. Don't you think it's premature to make a full game opinion. I am 35 hours in and just rung the second bell. (fuck Blighttown).
Learn to love the leeches.

Know where they're hanging out. All of them. Time and time again.

For... if you intend to upgrade yo shit, you'll be massacring a thousand leeches.

Welcome to the grind.

Make it fun. Do things differently. Switch weapons for the lulz. Get resisant, gear up to the task. Use rings. Dual wield everything. Be quick and nimble, ninja the terrain or be a tank. Wear heavy armor, become a knight of onion or wear a dress, for a change? Why not do everything naked? Enjoy.

deviltry

Nov 18, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
While I will disagree with you on the overall quality of the game, I will agree with you on the fact that Dark Souls really doesn't explain important parts of its systems. While the combat stuff is well-explained in the tutorial, none of the pictures-as-stats are explained and there is no specific indication of why some weapons are unusable/ineffectively equipped.
STR number in red doesn't explain that you need more STR? I'm sorry, are you from the past?

Trollhoffer

Jan 2, 2013
> OP rolls in at level 25 with the Drake Sword
> claims Dark Souls has no depth
> ohboy.jpg

I'll be the first to admit that Dark Souls doesn't teach its character build systems well (if at all), but there's plenty of depth to be found if you consider your options and know the character build mechanics. The fact that you're using the Drake Sword and think it's overpowered tells me, at the very least, that you don't understand damage scaling or the relationship between a character build and weapon loadouts.

If you like the 200 damage from the Drake Sword, then you'll love the 610 damage from the Zweihander +15 with 40 strength and 40 dexterity. You can shortcut those stats, too; with 27 strength, two-handing a weapon makes you "count as" having 40 strength, and the zweihander is better used in two hands anyway. You might have noticed that each weapon's stats has a range of "parameter bonuses" -- basically a quick bit of information about how it scales with various stats as represented by a letter. It goes from E-A, lowest to highest, and then S (which I presume stands for "sexy"), which is impeccable stat scaling.

Curved swords, thrusting swords, polearms, daggers and bows will tend to scale well off dexterity, for instance. Axes, maces, hammers, and all manner of really huge weapons will obviously scale much better off strength. In the middle, balanced weapons like longswords and claymores will scale equally well with either stat. Magical weapons will scale well with intelligence and divine weapons with faith. This means that while you're never forced to use or upgrade particular weapons, your character is going to fight more efficiently with a weapon that suits their stats. This also has some interesting side effects by proxy; dexterity characters will tend to move quicker than strength characters, for instance, but not because their dexterity stat makes them faster. Instead, dexterity weapons are usually lighter than strength weapons, meaning that dexterity characters have an easier time staying under equipment weight thresholds and therefore move more quickly.

The Dark Souls character build system is remarkably deep, once you dig down into it. Then there's poise and "special builds", which can be one hell of a lot of fun, based around getting the most out of less common or more unusual elements of the game. I personally like the Lifehunt Dex build, for instance. It works based off the Lifehunt Scythe, which takes 50% of an enemy's HP if you exceed their bleed threshold with your strikes. Unfortunately, every time you hit, it also builds up your own bleed threshold. The solution? Stack other equipment that improves your bleeding resistance, allowing you to waltz through tough enemies like the Grim Reaper. Have a decent backup weapon for mobs and you're good to go.

Andrew Andrew said:
dogenzakaminion said:
Oh my god I just spent 30 minutes going over every single post of this thread several times. I have shit to do but just kept thinking..."SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!" Made myself giggle.

Anyway, OP likes a certain type of game, like Ninja Gaiden, or Dota2, and he doesn't like Dark Souls...so fucking what? He/she obviously isn't suited for Dark Souls complaining about what could be considered a feature forcing creative thinking and an alternative approach. I love Dark Souls, in all it's obtuse glory. Is it perfect? no, because what is. I think we should just respect the OP decision to bash on a game for not being "hardcore" enough for him and let him get back to Dota.
A mature post on the internet. Huzzah.
No-one's bashed someone for liking or not liking anything in this thread -- except perhaps Andrew, who took a swing at someone with a Dark Souls avatar. Why people are so incensed is Andrew's claim that Dark Souls lacks depth as a matter of objective criticism. After, as noted above, starting this thread very early in the game while using one of its most worthless weapons in the long term.