"Oh, okay...wait, WHAT!?" moments in gaming

TheMetalGuy

Jun 23, 2010
I played fallout 2 and my car just spawned in the middle of a fight.
I was like WTF, but nobody else seemed to notice. (Guess Interplay didn't expect that to happen so they didn't program the NPC's to react in the case of a bug)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hectix777 said:
Saelune said:
Hectix777 said:
Saelune said:
Hectix777 said:
You ever get to a part in a videogame where you hear something really important and go,"okay," than you go back and process the data and begin to freak out subconciously. A vital piece of information, whether it relates to the character after the game or the world he is on, that just make you take a doubletake at it. For me it was in Dragon Age: Origins (Bioware makes best RPGs in the world) and than I talked to Alistair in camp. He says," Yeah, I forgot to tell you... Well good news, you won't die of old age! You have 30 years to live." I was thinking,"oh..." than,"WTF?!". You think a solution would be found by now that would stop the whole 30 years to live thing. It kinda baffles me that people will drink darkspawn blood if they know that they'll live for 30 yrs and that they have never-ending nightmares. So what was yours?
But...you didnt know...
That's still something that should come up during the Joining: you'll get hungry, hear the archdemon and have nightmares of darkspawn, and you'll die in 30 yrs. I consider that kinda data is something that should be mentioned, like a soldier's chance of dying somewhere like in Iraq.
You did not listen to Duncan then. The joining was a secret, and once you knew, you had to do it, or die. SO even IF they told you, the alternative at that point would just be death.
(Misspelled Duncan, fixed it) So, your damned if you do and damned if you don't? huh. Still I'm kind of curious why no cure or at least a better darkspawn formula (or whatever it should be called) that leads to a longer life. I mean, the whole,' Spend the last moments of your life in the Deep Roads slaying as many darkspawn as you can before you die," is both noble and makes sense on some levels, but still. I mean, mages were part of the Wardens, one of them must have freaked out when they found out he had 30 yrs. to live and maybe started doing research in his lab.
Maybe the same reason we havent cured AIDS or cancer.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Anah said:
Hectix777 said:
You ever get to a part in a videogame where you hear something really important and go,"okay," than you go back and process the data and begin to freak out subconciously.
Not many, sadly. But to use your Dragon Age example... The fact alone that the Joining was a secret hinted enough to me that something bad was in store for my Warden; and considering that chances were good that surviving the battle against the Blight was an arguable outcome at best, I could only feel a slight pang of regret for her when the news was broken to her.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand... I believe I can honestly say that this is the first game that has made me do a double take on the consequences of Hawkes (or her/his companions) actions.

*narrows her eyes* I am going to wrap this in spoiler tags now. So do NOT read it. You know who you are. Do. Not. Read. This. Or I swear I will--I don't know, probably laugh.

Isabelas' involvement in sparking the uprising of the Qunari... what a selfish, irresponsible woman. Cannot really blame her for wanting to save her own hide, even if she might have known what was at stake.. but still. Lots of folks died because of you, woman.

Hawkes' mother meeting her end. I swear I was flabbergasted. I mean, I knew there lose ends to be tied with that certain someone, but THIS? BioWare, I like how you have brought the character I played into the centre of the plot, instead of making her the "solution". God knows I am growing tired of playing the world saving hero that has no fault to him/her.

Anders.

What.

The.

Fuck.

What THE FUCK MAN?!

*twitches*

You bloody idiot. You god damn bloody idiot! I swear if I could get my hands on you I would strangle you and grind my fist into your face. I saw something bad coming, I saw something very bad coming, but this?!

Gnnnnnh! *pummels Anders, then drags him off to do some other unspeakable things to him in private*

<..>
This times 10, especially the anders thing, i think i almost blew a gasket when he did that, hes lucky hes the only healer -.-

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
In Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

I looked at the cans on the desk and though, "wow, I can't believe they actually have diet cokes in this game." then "wait, coke can't possibly have agreed to this."
Took a closer look at the cans.

Cock cola.

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
Danceofmasks said:

I looked at the cans on the desk and though, "wow, I can't believe they actually have diet cokes in this game." then "wait, coke can't possibly have agreed to this."

Cock cola.
Bahaha, that is so freakin' typical of something World of Darkness would do. XD

Actually, I'm probably going to be playing that game within the next few minutes, just came on here to check for a reply on something before I get back into it. Never noticed the Cock Cola before, though. Which desk are we talking about here?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
bfgmetalhead said:
bioshock

WOULD YOU KINDLY

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........

mind blown
System Shock 2's reveal was better. The only reason I caught it was because of a repeated comment from Palito.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Shade184 said:
Danceofmasks said:

Cock cola.

Actually, I'm probably going to be playing that game within the next few minutes, just came on here to check for a reply on something before I get back into it. Never noticed the Cock Cola before, though. Which desk are we talking about here?
I think they're in the hospital break room on the third floor. But it's been a while.

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
Starke said:
Shade184 said:
Danceofmasks said:

Cock cola.

I think they're in the hospital break room on the third floor. But it's been a while.
Cool, I'll check it out next time I'm there.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
Anah said:
Anders.

What.

The.

Fuck.

What THE FUCK MAN?!

*twitches*

You bloody idiot. You god damn bloody idiot! I swear if I could get my hands on you I would strangle you and grind my fist into your face. I saw something bad coming, I saw something very bad coming, but this?!

Gnnnnnh! *pummels Anders, then drags him off to do some other unspeakable things to him in private*

<..>
This times 10, especially the anders thing, i think i almost blew a gasket when he did that, hes lucky hes the only healer -.-
Except he's not.
If you took Anders and Bethany into the Deep Roads he'll save her, and she'll pop up in the next scene and offer to join your party again. If you took her, but not Anders, or you left her behind and she joined the circle and then you sided with the Templars, then you're probably shit up a creek. If you're playing a mage, then you can be a healer, and probably should be, honestly.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
The lady-guy in Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

Granted, I had to read it, since the only time there's voice acting is during battles or certain, very select cutscenes, but still... Seriously, what the balls? :| It was funny, yes, but it still made me double-take more than once.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Planescape: Torment was just a giant string of mindf--ck throughout. Spoilers ahead, so be warned. Although let's be honest here, if you haven't played the game by now you probably never will, so whatever you might as well keep reading.

Anyway, yeah. Finding out about your previous incarnations is absolutely mind bending. Especially the one fairly recent 'you' that created an elaborate series of traps to try and lure you, aka himself, into it and then kill you, aka himself, in a grandiose attempt at multi-generational suicide. Not to mention the whole thing with the army of shadows being sent out to kill you, not in an attempt to actually 'kill kill' you, but actually in an attempt to keep the main character from ever progressing to the point where he's capable of questioning and struggling against his own unnatural nature. And that's not even the kicker, the kicker is that those shadows are being sent by the main characters own 'mortality' which after having been taken from the protagonist who knows how long ago eventually became its own independent being, struggling itself to stay alive by keeping it's originator; the player, immortal.

So your mortality is trying to kill the player in order to keep the player immortal so the mortality can remain immortal...

*Ka-bloom*

That's the sound of my head exploding. And I haven't even gotten into Ravel, the Blood Wars, Trias the Betrayer, the nature of those shadows, the Nameless Ones various exploits during his various 'lives', or the games ending among other things.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Seeing the ending of Neverwinter Nights 2. I thought it was already a pretty meh game, but wow the ending. Ugh.

"Okay cool, so the final boss is over. Oh, the dungeon is crumbling, I'm sure that'll only be a minor inconvenience. Wait a minute, why have they suddenly cut to epilogue? What do you mean they didn't make it out?! What was the point of the entire fucking game then?! This came completely out of left field! Why? WHY? Wow this is a shitty epilogue, no closure at all. Rocks fall, everyone dies."

It's not like it was foreshadowed either. I can't say the game was all happy and optimistic, but it was almost impossible to see this coming. Obviously, some of this retconned for the awesome expansion but still. What the fuck Obsidian? Why can't you do endings well? (New Vegas's epilogue was really good in my opinion though)

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I have a moment from Fallout 3 that kinda matches that. Except that the "oh, okay" and the "...wait, What!?" are about a dozen hours apart.

So I'm leaving the Super Duper Mart after being there for Moira's quest, when Bryan Wilks comes up screaming his head off for me to help him, as he often does. I figure I help the little guy out.
So I'm almost at Greyditch and I run into a freaking Death-Claw at level 5. I now know that this was one of those scripted events, seeing as how the Death-Claw only had 25% health and there was a dead guy with a schematic on him, but at the time I was close to Greyditch and thought that these things were that tried to kill Bryan, because this was my first time playing the game.
So I barely survive this encounter by the skin of my pants, and I think "screw this, that thing was dying and it almost killed me, no way am I fighting a healthy one of those things, let alone a whole damn village worth!" and I assume the quest is a lost cause until I level up a bit.
So after completing the main quest up to the final mission and now being a much higher level, as well as having now killed several more Death-Claws, one of which with my bare hands, I figure I'm now up to scourging Greyditch of it's monster problem. I stock up on plenty of explosives and ammo, expecting some kind of spectacular apocalyptic showdown with an army of what I had nicknamed "Death's little helpers", which would end with me standing atop their corpses shouting to the heavens.

Then I figured out I was just fighting fire-breathing ants. With equal parts relief and disappointment I set out to slaughter the lot of them and save the day for young Bryan.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
herpaderphurr said:
FalloutJack said:
This is more of something that happened, not something I heard.

Fallout 3. I have located a ghoul shantytown that isn't on the map. They're hostile. I'm behind a bus with a shotgun, waiting for Ghoul #1, and he does not disappoint me. He's there at point-blank and I VATS-fire the shotgun.

The world goes WHITE from an explosion in the night.

What the hell happened? Well, everything clears and I'm standing by a detonated bus, which is apparently what went up, killing most of the ghouls. The oddest thing? I'm not even HARMED.
But how is that odd at all? The vehicles in Fallout are fission-powered and go up in a nuclear fireball at the slightest provocation. Also, in VATS, damage you take is reduced by 80% or something ridiculous like that. Combined with good armor or Med-X, I think it's perfectly reasonable.
Ah, well, allow me to enlighten you.

First, I wasn't aiming for the bus. So, this was essentially not suppose to happen in the first place. I guess the spreadfire could've done it, but I don't think it should've done.

Secondly, I WAS right beside the thing. You know how exploding cars are. They're like mini-nukes, and this one's at point-blank. 20% of giant explosive damage should be noticable.

Thirdly, I was definitely in leather armor. For whatever reason, I alternated between leather armor and power armor, and never removed my hat. These were ghouls, so I didn't bother to armor up past leather at the time.

And finally, I never take Med-X. No Jet, no Psycho, no Buffout, nor the other drugs either. I pick those up and I sell them.

I suppose that without pointing out these details it doesn't sound far-fetched, but I know that pain should've happened and it didn't, and they were nearly all dead.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Hectix777 said:
Saelune said:
Hectix777 said:
Saelune said:
Hectix777 said:
You ever get to a part in a videogame where you hear something really important and go,"okay," than you go back and process the data and begin to freak out subconciously. A vital piece of information, whether it relates to the character after the game or the world he is on, that just make you take a doubletake at it. For me it was in Dragon Age: Origins (Bioware makes best RPGs in the world) and than I talked to Alistair in camp. He says," Yeah, I forgot to tell you... Well good news, you won't die of old age! You have 30 years to live." I was thinking,"oh..." than,"WTF?!". You think a solution would be found by now that would stop the whole 30 years to live thing. It kinda baffles me that people will drink darkspawn blood if they know that they'll live for 30 yrs and that they have never-ending nightmares. So what was yours?
But...you didnt know...
That's still something that should come up during the Joining: you'll get hungry, hear the archdemon and have nightmares of darkspawn, and you'll die in 30 yrs. I consider that kinda data is something that should be mentioned, like a soldier's chance of dying somewhere like in Iraq.
You did not listen to Duncan then. The joining was a secret, and once you knew, you had to do it, or die. SO even IF they told you, the alternative at that point would just be death.
(Misspelled Duncan, fixed it) So, your damned if you do and damned if you don't? huh. Still I'm kind of curious why no cure or at least a better darkspawn formula (or whatever it should be called) that leads to a longer life. I mean, the whole,' Spend the last moments of your life in the Deep Roads slaying as many darkspawn as you can before you die," is both noble and makes sense on some levels, but still. I mean, mages were part of the Wardens, one of them must have freaked out when they found out he had 30 yrs. to live and maybe started doing research in his lab.
There's this chap called Avernus in the Warden's Peak DLC who was looking into that, actually.

OT: Dragon Age; after the battle in Fort Drakon, when you've been defeated, I was humming and waiting to reload, so I left the room and found myself in a prison cell when I came back. That was a bit of a surprise.

Silentghost

Dec 3, 2010
The minor glitchiness of Fallout 3 leads into alot of hilarious stories. My own favorite from my last game on F3; Near end game I was sneaking up on a bunch of Raiders wandering around a drive-in movie theater.

Armed with my trusty Shishkabob, I went to back stab one, and they turned left at the last second causing me to miss. I nailed the defenseless vehicle behind him, and the entire lot of cars promptly exploded.

I was sent flying for about a dozen yards, and only stopped shooting backwards due to a convenient rock. Single digit HP, after previously having full HP and a full suit of power armor. Still a bit shell-shocked, I healed up and went to look for the corpses to loot.

To my surprise, the lot was empty of any bodies. There had been at least six or seven raiders, so I couldn't believe they were all just gone. I moved to search the area, and thats when it started to rain limbs.

A friend commented after hearing that story; "The only way that would have been cooler, is if you had forgotten to heal and had been killed by a falling torso." lol ;P

llew

Sep 9, 2009
ive had many, but the one i remember at this moment in time is the final boss in KH2... i thought i killed xehanort then low-an-behold, the gateway closes and a dragon starts flying towards you... i thought "oh thats not so bad... wait... the dragon is firing lasers at me? WHAT THE FUCK DUDE?!?!?!?"

TheSquashedOrange

Feb 8, 2011
FalloutJack said:
This is more of something that happened, not something I heard.

Fallout 3. I have located a ghoul shantytown that isn't on the map. They're hostile. I'm behind a bus with a shotgun, waiting for Ghoul #1, and he does not disappoint me. He's there at point-blank and I VATS-fire the shotgun.

The world goes WHITE from an explosion in the night.

What the hell happened? Well, everything clears and I'm standing by a detonated bus, which is apparently what went up, killing most of the ghouls. The oddest thing? I'm not even HARMED.

Gotta love V.A.T.S, you only take 10% damage while in it. Point blank Fatman FTW.