"Oh, okay...wait, WHAT!?" moments in gaming

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Well in the Dragon Age games the wrist slitting and other blood mage stuff. It's cool in a way but it is also weird. Also the glitch in BA: Bad Company 2 when you headshot someone from the machinegun turret and his body just launches in to the sky.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Lieju said:
HassEsser said:
"Oh, your Pokemon has Pokerus" and I'm like "uhhuh. . . wait wtf?!?" *insert double-take number three*

Anyway, I've learned what it is since, and I am VERY glad I got it, but it seriously rocked my world the first time I encountered it.
Yeah, I got it first time when playing Gold, and was kinda worried and confused. And back then I couldn't just go to the Internet to see what it is...

Incidentally, I seem to be a pokerus-magnet, having found it without trading three times. But never once a shiny pokemon I could catch (apart from the red Gyarados in Gold, obviously).
No shit? That's funny because Pokerus is 1 in 60000 or something, while Shiny is 1 in 8129. . .

Speaking of incredibly rare/lucky incidents in Pokemon, have you ever legitimately been to Mirage Island?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Hectix777 said:
Saelune said:
Hectix777 said:
You ever get to a part in a videogame where you hear something really important and go,"okay," than you go back and process the data and begin to freak out subconciously. A vital piece of information, whether it relates to the character after the game or the world he is on, that just make you take a doubletake at it. For me it was in Dragon Age: Origins (Bioware makes best RPGs in the world) and than I talked to Alistair in camp. He says," Yeah, I forgot to tell you... Well good news, you won't die of old age! You have 30 years to live." I was thinking,"oh..." than,"WTF?!". You think a solution would be found by now that would stop the whole 30 years to live thing. It kinda baffles me that people will drink darkspawn blood if they know that they'll live for 30 yrs and that they have never-ending nightmares. So what was yours?
But...you didnt know...
That's still something that should come up during the Joining: you'll get hungry, hear the archdemon and have nightmares of darkspawn, and you'll die in 30 yrs. I consider that kinda data is something that should be mentioned, like a soldier's chance of dying somewhere like in Iraq.
They state in the game they PURPOSEFULLY -don't- tell you because no one would do it otherwise.

Hectix777 said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Hectix777 said:
Saelune said:
Hectix777 said:
Saelune said:
Hectix777 said:
You ever get to a part in a videogame where you hear something really important and go,"okay," than you go back and process the data and begin to freak out subconciously. A vital piece of information, whether it relates to the character after the game or the world he is on, that just make you take a doubletake at it. For me it was in Dragon Age: Origins (Bioware makes best RPGs in the world) and than I talked to Alistair in camp. He says," Yeah, I forgot to tell you... Well good news, you won't die of old age! You have 30 years to live." I was thinking,"oh..." than,"WTF?!". You think a solution would be found by now that would stop the whole 30 years to live thing. It kinda baffles me that people will drink darkspawn blood if they know that they'll live for 30 yrs and that they have never-ending nightmares. So what was yours?
But...you didnt know...
That's still something that should come up during the Joining: you'll get hungry, hear the archdemon and have nightmares of darkspawn, and you'll die in 30 yrs. I consider that kinda data is something that should be mentioned, like a soldier's chance of dying somewhere like in Iraq.
You did not listen to Duncan then. The joining was a secret, and once you knew, you had to do it, or die. SO even IF they told you, the alternative at that point would just be death.
(Misspelled Duncan, fixed it) So, your damned if you do and damned if you don't? huh. Still I'm kind of curious why no cure or at least a better darkspawn formula (or whatever it should be called) that leads to a longer life. I mean, the whole,' Spend the last moments of your life in the Deep Roads slaying as many darkspawn as you can before you die," is both noble and makes sense on some levels, but still. I mean, mages were part of the Wardens, one of them must have freaked out when they found out he had 30 yrs. to live and maybe started doing research in his lab.
There is actually a 'cure' of sorts that turns up in the Wardens Keep DLC, where a Warden has done just that.

In fact, he not only expands his life past the 30 years but past the point he would naturally live to. Of course, blood magic and human test subjects are involved.
Wait, cure as in: "a blood ritual costing the sacrifice of other that are not tainted," or cure as in: "they know how to live longer but a lot of people died in the process?"
Avernus in the Wardens Keep DLC. Did you even play this game? >_>;

Krythe

Oct 29, 2009

Solidus: I'll leave you alive, Jack, because you're still manipulable!
Fortune: Speaking of manipulation, it's time for me to steal Arsenal since I've been manipulating you from the start!
Solidus: Actually, I tricked Ocelot into manipulating you into manipulating me!
Ocelot: Fools! I've been manipulating everything from behind the scenes!
Magic Hand: But actually, I've been manipulating you!

wtfamireading?.jpg

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Playing New Vegas when Boone starts shooting at something. Turned around to see a Deathclaw slap him away into the horizon and I blinked for a moment. "Well shit.", I remarked, before said Deathclaw proceeded to slap me into the horizon as well.

I later returned to find the Deathclaw spinning merrily...

I stood there for at least ten minutes just going, "What is he doing..."

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Greyah said:
ReservoirAngel said:
That actually makes sense. He COULD escape with his phalactery (vial of blood thingy) but because of it, they'd be able to find him. So despite him being ABLE to escape without destroying it, they'd just find him again. Hence the need to destroy it.
Doesn't make any sense at all. They need his blood to track him down, right? So, in order to escape, he sprays his own blood all over the templars, so he can safely escape. Now they can't track him down, because they don't have any of his blood, despite the fact that they're covered in it.
I think they magic those phylacteries to act as a homer, not just the blood.

But GIANT HOLE is left unexplained.

Silverrock

Mar 19, 2011
Every time I turned a corner in X-Com and saw something that was new...

WHAT... THE... (alien death)

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
HassEsser said:
Lieju said:
HassEsser said:
"Oh, your Pokemon has Pokerus" and I'm like "uhhuh. . . wait wtf?!?" *insert double-take number three*

Anyway, I've learned what it is since, and I am VERY glad I got it, but it seriously rocked my world the first time I encountered it.
Yeah, I got it first time when playing Gold, and was kinda worried and confused. And back then I couldn't just go to the Internet to see what it is...

Incidentally, I seem to be a pokerus-magnet, having found it without trading three times. But never once a shiny pokemon I could catch (apart from the red Gyarados in Gold, obviously).
No shit? That's funny because Pokerus is 1 in 60000 or something, while Shiny is 1 in 8129. . .

Speaking of incredibly rare/lucky incidents in Pokemon, have you ever legitimately been to Mirage Island?
I have seen two shinies, but they were a rental pokemon in the battle factory, and a pokemon belonging to a trainer.
And I know! I'm a Pokerus-magnet.
(According to Bulbapedia, finding a shiny is 2,7 times more likely)

I haven't been to Mirage Island, but I never spent much time going to the route and looking for it, so that's not surprising. And getting there isn't worth it, so I didn't really spend any effort in getting there.

Ramin 123

Apr 23, 2010
kortin said:
bfgmetalhead said:
bioshock

WOULD YOU KINDLY

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........

mind blown
That happened to me too! I saw the "Would you kindly" thing on the wall when you walk in and was like o_O. Then when I find out who atlas really is i was like O.O MIND BLOWN. Then I was really pissed. I hate being used.
Yes and that "certain" characters laugh irritated me to no end...urgh If I have to listen to the sentence "Would you kindly get stepped on by a big dadddddddy" urgghhhh

Anyway mine has to be Condemned 2, once the mystical cult shit went into play I was just like...well fair play Ubisoft is there any other sequels you'd like to make a balls off? And then Assassins Creed Brotherhood comes along...sacre bleu

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Lieju said:
I haven't been to Mirage Island, but I never spent much time going to the route and looking for it, so that's not surprising. And getting there isn't worth it, so I didn't really spend any effort in getting there.
Yea, I know what you mean. I read about it on the wiki and was like ". . . k"

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
"[Enemy Pokémon]: Ability 'Unnerve'!"

"[Enemy Pokémon] said your team's been eating too many berries!"

Did... did that thing just induce anorexia in my Pokémon as a form of attack?!

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
The part in bulletstorm *SPOILER* when you are in that spaceship and see the DNA bomb and then you run away and then you go through a vent and your in the same room with the bomb *SPOILER* Please if you aint play BulletStorm dont read between the spoilers......Awesome game!

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
The endings in all the Assassin's Creed games......

Too complex for my petty little brain

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
The biggest "Wait... what?!?" moment in video games for me is when I didn't have the option to give Aeris/Aerith a phoenix down.

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
The first big moral choice bit of Fable 3, all of a sudden bam;

This group of protesters or the story's love interest?

I don't want to have to choose shit like this so soon in the game :(

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Playing KOTOR

Oh, by the way, that evil sith lord? It was you all along. Psyche!.

Also, Halo: Combat Evolved
Fuck you Guilty Spark. Just... fuck you. Everything about you.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Alorxico said:
In Xenogears, a PS2 game from several years back, you spend the entire game trying to stop this evil genius from reactivating an "ancient" weapon that will destroy the world. There are several Biblical references but the game takes great pains to assure you are just there because the creator liked the names (Adam and Eve were two slaves who escaped a tyrant to find a new nation, Cain and Able are two waring kings, etc.). The game also goes out of its way to assure you that this is NOT earth.

Then, you come to the final battle. The Baddie has activated the ancient weapon, called Deus, but one of the characters, whose life-energy is being used the power the thing, is able to force Deus out of the planet's atmosphere. The hero hopes in his battle-mech and flies after Deus, gets eatten by Deus, and fights the evil genius to rescue his girl. Though the Baddie's mech is destroy, it is revealed that you cannot kill him because ...

He's a member of the Heavenly Host who was banished millenia ago. The only way he can get home is to destroy Deus, a machine in which another one of his kind was trapped by Earthian humans hoping to use her as a weapon, which will rip reality open and create a portal to heaven. He explains that humanity ended up on the planet when the captured angel refused to co-opperate with the Earthian military, so they put her on a ship with the intension of shouting her and the Deus, which had developed into a sentient being, into a black-hole. Deus revolted, which caused the ship to crash and the angel imprisioned Deus in the earth, took on human form and gave birth to a new race of humans using the DNA of the dead humans from the ship.

So, Deus starts to implode, a portal to heaven opens, the Baddie spreads his wings and flys away as our the two humans race back to the hero's mech. As the portal closes and the angels go home, our hero and his girl return back to the planet in the giant mech that has sprouts angel wings as a sign that they are loved by the Heavenly Host.

After the credits were finished rolling, I dropped my controller and shouted "WHAT?!?"
Well that's bullshit.

Side note: sounds hard to make a game about a religion and not hint at the religion EVEN THOUGH ITS THERE IN BALCK AND F*&^% WHITE, eh well.

Also, the angel is probably in hell most likely for what he did, calling that god Heavenly Host is BS, and I never considered the Japanese making a game related to Christianity, Christian pop. there is probably 3 million, but...ya know? I guesss it's weird for a westerner to grasp, I'm sure they would react the same way if EA published a game on Shinto

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
herpaderphurr said:
But how is that odd at all? The vehicles in Fallout are fission-powered and go up in a nuclear fireball at the slightest provocation
Nuclear fission does not work the way you think it does.