Oh sweet baby Jesus no, burn AI to the ground, humanity can't be trusted with it

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I wonder if the techbros have given any thought as to what will happen when their AI replaced human jobs and suddenly tons of people can't afford anything anymore?

The answer is "Who care? Not my problem, I got mine, fuck you!" of course

Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I wonder if the techbros have given any thought as to what will happen when their AI replaced human jobs and suddenly tons of people can't afford anything anymore?

"I don't care if future generations curse my name, so long as they know it."

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Eh, going by past experience, when new technology puts people out of work, they don't actually eat the rich.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Eh, going by past experience, when new technology puts people out of work, they don't actually eat the rich.
In the long term, they have not eaten the rich because new jobs have been created to replace those lost. So the question becomes... will this happen with AI and if so, what are those new jobs?

One might argue that the structure of our liberal, capitalist societies continues because the middle classes get enough out of it to not want to rock the boat. They row a bit towards the poor at times, and back towards the rich at others. However, if the economy shifted to significantly disadvantage the middle classes, then the middle classes would start decisively siding with the poor, and that would be impossible for a democratic government to ignore. (Hence why a significant tranche of tech bros and other affluent are distinctly lukewarm towards democracy.)

Of course, whether we will still have democracy in a few decades is an open question. The rise of the far right across the West suggests possibly not: we'll eventually turn into Hungaries, and then Russias.

Reactions: Satinavian

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I have been hearing bits and snippets (and memes) of the Willy's Chocolate Experience (an unofficial Willy Wonka event), and that it was somehow related to AI. I thought it was just the advertisement that was AI generated; but I was wrong.

The actors were given an AI-generated script to perform their roles in Willy Wonka McDuff's chocolate factory (a script that details how the audience is supposed to react). But the real scam was that everything that wasn't AI-generated had the minimum bare effort put into it (and none of the AI-generated stuff was polished afterwards or had its errors fixed), and they charged 35 pounds per person for it.

The organizer also has an history of self-publishing AI-generated books. The laziness in display is just... sad.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Tech companies: "Not our problem!"

However, if it's our problem, they'll fight to the bitter end to stop us doing anything about it. They'll all make all manner of sympathetic and serious-sounding comments if questioned, and vigorously assault anything that impedes them. Or create their own alleged solutions to the problems they made and bill us for them.

Reactions: Satinavian

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Techbros assemble to decide which jobs will be replaced by AI first

But don't worry. They promise to retrain people. By the millions.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Sure. Someone's got to clean out their private swimming pools and serve their meals in the restaurant.
Just use AI to replace C-suits. Significant reduction in cost, and I'm not even sure the AI would actually be worse at it.