Oh sweet baby Jesus no, burn AI to the ground, humanity can't be trusted with it

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I wonder what criteria will be used for "not-wholly". I mean, a few months ago, the Copyright Office granted to a comic illustrated by AI the copyright only for the text (and the arrangement of the images), because that's the only part that wasn't AI generated.
I also how wonder how long that ruling that AI-generated art cannot be copyrighted will last.

Increasingly, as major companies use AI they will want to secure IP rights based on it. Who here seriously believes that mass lobbying by profit-minded companies is not going to be the final determinant of law? Either the judges or the government will end up arranging the law to please the biggest donors.

Reactions: Absent

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I also how wonder how long that ruling that AI-generated art cannot be copyrighted will last.

Increasingly, as major companies use AI they will want to secure IP rights based on it. Who here seriously believes that mass lobbying by profit-minded companies is not going to be the final determinant of law? Either the judges or the government will end up arranging the law to please the biggest donors.
Well all they need to do is retain one person, and their job is to input the various parameters they want in the script and they credit this sod as the “writer” and there is their loophole.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well all they need to do is retain one person, and their job is to input the various parameters they want in the script and they credit this sod as the “writer” and there is their loophole.
Or tweak the thing very slightly after it's been created by AI so it's not totally an AI creation. Probably some automated filters that can use for that, but a human chose to press the "apply filter" button. I could almost see sweatshops staffed by people whose 10 hour a day job is clicking on "apply filter" buttons.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Or tweak the thing very slightly after it's been created by AI so it's not totally an AI creation. Probably some automated filters that can use for that, but a human chose to press the "apply filter" button. I could almost see sweatshops staffed by people whose 10 hour a day job is clicking on "apply filter" buttons.
Well, data verification is a thing, so that might be the way of it yeah.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
That might work. So, for instance, what they might have to do is save the instructions to the AI, and demonstrate that the instructions show enough sign of novelty. Or, of course, they take the AI product and an employee changes a colour in a picture or a few words in text here or there, and that point it's not "all" AI-generated. Although I suspect even that's going to be too onerous for some companies.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I tried asking ChatGPT to write a Zero Punctuation review of Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt just to see how it handles humour. Here's the exchange:

> Do you know who Ben Yahtzee Croshaw is?
Yes, I'm familiar with Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. He is a British video game critic, author, and developer known for his online video series "Zero Punctuation," which features fast-paced and humorous video game reviews with a distinct animation style and rapid-fire commentary. Yahtzee Croshaw is known for his sharp wit and often sarcastic humor in his reviews.

In addition to his video game criticism, Yahtzee Croshaw has also authored several books, including "Mogworld" and "Jam," and has worked on indie video games such as "The Chzo Mythos" series and "The Consuming Shadow." His work has gained a significant following among gamers and fans of his unique style of commentary
> Do you know what Princess Remedy in a world of Hurt is?
Yes, "Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt" is an indie video game created by developer Ludosity. It's a retro-style, top-down shooter and role-playing game with a unique premise and charming pixel art graphics.

In the game, you play as Princess Remedy, a healer who is on a mission to cure various inhabitants of a world plagued by all sorts of quirky and comical ailments. The gameplay involves exploring different areas of the world, talking to its eccentric inhabitants, and engaging in fast-paced, bullet-hell-style battles to heal those in need. Each character you encounter has their own ailment, and it's your job to defeat them in combat to cure them.

"Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt" received positive reviews for its clever humor, simple yet addictive gameplay, and nostalgic retro style. It's a relatively short and accessible game that's known for its quirky charm and can be a fun experience for fans of indie games and retro gaming aesthetics.
> Could you write a script for a Zero Punctuation review of Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt?
Of course, here's a script in the style of a Zero Punctuation review for "Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt":

[Opening shot of Yahtzee Croshaw, the fast-talking game critic, sitting in his usual dimly lit room with a pile of video game boxes in the background.]

Yahtzee: [Speaking at a rapid pace] Well, it's that time again, folks, where I get to talk about a game so small it could slip through the gaps in your teeth! Today, we're diving headfirst into the world of "Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt." And no, it's not a documentary about my dating life; it's an actual game!

[Clip of "Princess Remedy" gameplay with colorful pixel art and a character talking to Princess Remedy.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] So, you play as Princess Remedy, who's like a nurse with a tiara, in a land populated by what I can only assume are the byproducts of Dr. Seuss's nightmares. Everyone's got ailments, and it's your job to cure them. But here's the twist: you cure them through the power of GUN!

[Clip of Princess Remedy shooting colorful projectiles at bizarre-looking characters.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] Yep, forget about medical degrees; all you need is a trigger finger! You stroll around this bizarre world, talking to these quirky inhabitants who all suffer from incredibly imaginative illnesses.

[Clip of Princess Remedy encountering a character with an ailment.]

Character: [In the game, with exaggerated symptoms] I've got, um, too many spoons in my bathtub! Can you help?

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] I don't know if that's a medical condition or just a poor life choice.

[Cut to a fast-paced battle scene with Princess Remedy shooting projectiles.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] And then comes the combat. It's like a bullet-hell shooter for people who've never seen one before. You shoot pills and rainbows and hearts at your patients. It's like a kid's birthday party where the clown has an itchy trigger finger.

[Clip of Princess Remedy defeating an enemy.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] The thing is, this game is deliberately simple and short. You can finish it in an hour or two, which is about the same time it takes to microwave a lasagna. But there's something oddly endearing about the whole thing. It's like a tiny, bite-sized piece of candy that you know isn't particularly good for you, but you can't resist anyway.

[Clip of Princess Remedy curing a character.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] The pixel art is charming, and the bizarre humor, well, it works in its own quirky way. Plus, it's dirt cheap, which means you can't complain too much.

[Clip of Princess Remedy dancing with cured characters.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] So, to sum it up, "Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt" is like popping a gaming gummy bear. Short, sweet, and probably not something you'd want to make a steady diet of. But hey, if you've got an hour to kill and a penchant for shooting rainbows at people, give it a go.

[Closing shot of Yahtzee holding a pixelated rainbow gun.]

Yahtzee: [Speaking quickly] And remember, if your doctor prescribes you bullets for your ailments, get a second opinion!

[End of the review with Yahtzee's signature fast talking and sarcastic style.]

Reactions: Gordon_4

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I tried asking ChatGPT to write a Zero Punctuation review of Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt just to see how it handles humour. Here's the exchange:

> Do you know who Ben Yahtzee Croshaw is?
Yes, I'm familiar with Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. He is a British video game critic, author, and developer known for his online video series "Zero Punctuation," which features fast-paced and humorous video game reviews with a distinct animation style and rapid-fire commentary. Yahtzee Croshaw is known for his sharp wit and often sarcastic humor in his reviews.

In addition to his video game criticism, Yahtzee Croshaw has also authored several books, including "Mogworld" and "Jam," and has worked on indie video games such as "The Chzo Mythos" series and "The Consuming Shadow." His work has gained a significant following among gamers and fans of his unique style of commentary
> Do you know what Princess Remedy in a world of Hurt is?
Yes, "Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt" is an indie video game created by developer Ludosity. It's a retro-style, top-down shooter and role-playing game with a unique premise and charming pixel art graphics.

In the game, you play as Princess Remedy, a healer who is on a mission to cure various inhabitants of a world plagued by all sorts of quirky and comical ailments. The gameplay involves exploring different areas of the world, talking to its eccentric inhabitants, and engaging in fast-paced, bullet-hell-style battles to heal those in need. Each character you encounter has their own ailment, and it's your job to defeat them in combat to cure them.

"Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt" received positive reviews for its clever humor, simple yet addictive gameplay, and nostalgic retro style. It's a relatively short and accessible game that's known for its quirky charm and can be a fun experience for fans of indie games and retro gaming aesthetics.
> Could you write a script for a Zero Punctuation review of Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt?
Of course, here's a script in the style of a Zero Punctuation review for "Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt":

[Opening shot of Yahtzee Croshaw, the fast-talking game critic, sitting in his usual dimly lit room with a pile of video game boxes in the background.]

Yahtzee: [Speaking at a rapid pace] Well, it's that time again, folks, where I get to talk about a game so small it could slip through the gaps in your teeth! Today, we're diving headfirst into the world of "Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt." And no, it's not a documentary about my dating life; it's an actual game!

[Clip of "Princess Remedy" gameplay with colorful pixel art and a character talking to Princess Remedy.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] So, you play as Princess Remedy, who's like a nurse with a tiara, in a land populated by what I can only assume are the byproducts of Dr. Seuss's nightmares. Everyone's got ailments, and it's your job to cure them. But here's the twist: you cure them through the power of GUN!

[Clip of Princess Remedy shooting colorful projectiles at bizarre-looking characters.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] Yep, forget about medical degrees; all you need is a trigger finger! You stroll around this bizarre world, talking to these quirky inhabitants who all suffer from incredibly imaginative illnesses.

[Clip of Princess Remedy encountering a character with an ailment.]

Character: [In the game, with exaggerated symptoms] I've got, um, too many spoons in my bathtub! Can you help?

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] I don't know if that's a medical condition or just a poor life choice.

[Cut to a fast-paced battle scene with Princess Remedy shooting projectiles.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] And then comes the combat. It's like a bullet-hell shooter for people who've never seen one before. You shoot pills and rainbows and hearts at your patients. It's like a kid's birthday party where the clown has an itchy trigger finger.

[Clip of Princess Remedy defeating an enemy.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] The thing is, this game is deliberately simple and short. You can finish it in an hour or two, which is about the same time it takes to microwave a lasagna. But there's something oddly endearing about the whole thing. It's like a tiny, bite-sized piece of candy that you know isn't particularly good for you, but you can't resist anyway.

[Clip of Princess Remedy curing a character.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] The pixel art is charming, and the bizarre humor, well, it works in its own quirky way. Plus, it's dirt cheap, which means you can't complain too much.

[Clip of Princess Remedy dancing with cured characters.]

Yahtzee: [Voiceover] So, to sum it up, "Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt" is like popping a gaming gummy bear. Short, sweet, and probably not something you'd want to make a steady diet of. But hey, if you've got an hour to kill and a penchant for shooting rainbows at people, give it a go.

[Closing shot of Yahtzee holding a pixelated rainbow gun.]

Yahtzee: [Speaking quickly] And remember, if your doctor prescribes you bullets for your ailments, get a second opinion!

[End of the review with Yahtzee's signature fast talking and sarcastic style.]
Disturbingly on point

Reactions: gorfias

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Disturbingly on point
Actually, when I first read it through there were parts that genuinely impressed me, but the more I read it the more obvious it becomes that the AI did not understand what it was doing. In particular when I asked it more about the script.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Actually, when I first read it through there were parts that genuinely impressed me, but the more I read it the more obvious it becomes that the AI did not understand what it was doing. In particular when I asked it more about the script.
Par for the course, AI currently is quite good at making something that looks decent at first glance, but falls apart when expanded upon or examined more closely. Very useful for writing big budget movie scripts, I imagine.

Reactions: Bedinsis

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Par for the course, AI currently is quite good at making something that looks decent at first glance, but falls apart when expanded upon or examined more closely. Very useful for writing big budget movie scripts, I imagine.
Probaby make great apologists too.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014

The path of least resistance would be to hide the fact it was AI-generated. My guess is that the lobbying would be about pushing back against regulating the usage AI, in the guise of "protecting artists whose work could be confused with AI-generated"

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Hmmmm. Still lousy at hands but this is Larry Bird on a race car track!
1694023298316.png

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"I'm not going to apologize for it. I won, and I didn’t break any rules."

Allen, the award recipient, expressed sympathy for artists who were concerned that AI technologies might put them out of work. However, he believes that their rage should be aimed against companies rather than people who utilize DALL-E 2 or Midjourney to create art.

But not enough sympathy to refuse the award and give it to the second place though...

Reactions: Absent

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Allen, the award recipient, expressed sympathy for artists who were concerned that AI technologies might put them out of work. However, he believes that their rage should be aimed against companies rather than people who utilize DALL-E 2 or Midjourney to create art.

But not enough sympathy to refuse the award and give it to the second place though...
Yeah. Clearly an asshole. "Didn't break any rules" but abused them, and it always takes a certain kind of shitbag to exploit technicalities. Here, to hijack with one typed sentence a contest meant to reward talent and effort. It's a disgusting mentality.

But contest context aside, I must reluctantly admit that the image is kinda nice.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

"Don't get mad at me for robbing a real artist of the prize; get mad at the company that made it possible for me to do so."

Reactions: CaitSeith

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Honestly, if he can take first place with a wholly unaltered AI creation, that isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement for the quality of the effort and talent that made up the rest of the submissions.

But I’m also betting a tenner that those rules - and those of other similar competitions - are going to be amended very quickly.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
How long until it hates?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
How long until it hates?
Seeing that they already fed them with Omegaverse literature, I'm surprised it doesn't already hate humanity...