Oh sweet baby Jesus no, burn AI to the ground, humanity can't be trusted with it

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You need some understanding of maths to realise the result you got was completely wrong cause you made a mistake pressing the buttons. Like the people who blindly trusted GPS instead of paying any attention and ended up with vehicles upside down in strange places.
A lot that goes into automation. When I did my PhD, I had equipment with a bewildering number of switches and dials which set the parameters of the data recording, and you'd better know what they all do otherwise your experiments would be a pile of crap. Step forward 10 years, a lot of the adjustments could be done by software by using an auto function. This is all well and good, but it's not perfect - if something was wrong, in order to try to make things work, the software could apply some crazy parameters. As a postdoc, I realised from talking to some later PhD students they had very little idea what all these parameters meant, because they just hit the auto function. Chances are some of their data was seriously screwed.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Garbage in garbage out.

The more AI generated content there is on the internet the more AI is being trained on other AI generated content. Small errors continuously compound and become bigger and bigger and the AI gets dumber and dumber as a result.

Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You need some understanding of maths to realise the result you got was completely wrong cause you made a mistake pressing the buttons. Like the people who blindly trusted GPS instead of paying any attention and ended up with vehicles upside down in strange places.
People spend tons of time arguing about PEMDAS an facebook. The average person has terrible understanding of basic math and will have no idea what they're doing wrong.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
People spend tons of time arguing about PEMDAS an facebook. The average person has terrible understanding of basic math and will have no idea what they're doing wrong.
Argh, yes. Though, the ones who are wrong don't ask questions, they insist that they are right and everyone else is stupid, in my experience. That's not just a lack of knowledge.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Surely that's just Disneyland Snow White vs. Halloween Snow White. And honestly, for AI art, that ain't even bad.
Just noticed, you cannot see AI SW's hands. Supposedly AI has a problem with hands. I don't much like drawing them myself!

EDIT: Oh heck, tested my theory to see if it could make a cheerleader waving with both hands and....

1692026939021.png

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Just noticed, you cannot see AI SW's hands. Supposedly AI has a problem with hands. I don't much like drawing them myself!

EDIT: Oh heck, tested my theory to see if it could make a cheerleader waving with both hands and....

View attachment 9448
Like, 95% of that picture is great. The only thing weird is the index finger on that right hand. Entirely forgivable.

And then apparently the algorithm thought "humans grow deformed arms out of their skulls, right?".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Like, 95% of that picture is great. The only thing weird is the index finger on that right hand. Entirely forgivable.

And then apparently the algorithm thought "humans grow deformed arms out of their skulls, right?".
She's almost doing a Nazi salute, and in Wolfenstein, the evil Doctor was making 3 armed mutants. It makes sense.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

View attachment 9448
Not surprising. Even human artists, any of which infinitely more experienced at knowing what humans actually look like, find hands hard.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
AI does have a lot of needs yet. Fingers and eyes look odd on this one. And it is supposed to be a bloody viking giving a hippy girl a flower. No viking apparent here!

4wB9PZAl0O1HDo9RjeNE--1--jaz6b_2x.jpg

And it doesn't know what a wingsuit is either.

j5RVWfZk0TPxuzvasOPn--1--ydgoq.jpg

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
AI does have a lot of needs yet. Fingers and eyes look odd on this one. And it is supposed to be a bloody viking giving a hippy girl a flower. No viking apparent here!

View attachment 9459
Gotta love how much watermarked artwork that AI has consumed that it's also adding it on its own.

PS: ...did someone else noticed the breast plate is on the wrong place? No? Ok...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Muhammad Ali boxes Mike Tyson in the ring: I think it tried to give me the two mingled into one.

1692704642952.png

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
There's something wrong with her eyes, too. They're slightly wonky, and black like's she's going to suck someone's soul out.

And then apparently the algorithm thought "humans grow deformed arms out of their skulls, right?"
Yeah, and then there's that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I wonder what criteria will be used for "not-wholly". I mean, a few months ago, the Copyright Office granted to a comic illustrated by AI the copyright only for the text (and the arrangement of the images), because that's the only part that wasn't AI generated.

https://gizmodo.com/zarya-of-the-dawn-midjourney-comic-ai-art-copyright-1850149833

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Not surprising. Even human artists, any of which infinitely more experienced at knowing what humans actually look like, find hands hard.
Hands are tricky regardless because they're complex objects which humans are extremely familiar with, so any mistakes will be very obvious, but they're extra difficult for AI because AI isn't capable of experiencing or understanding three dimensional space. It just looks at a library of 2D images of hands and identifies patterns in the distribution of colours. Since hands can look very different depending on which angle you're viewing them from, it's extremely easy for AI to get confused and see misleading patterns.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde