Ok, Bioware you're *somewhat* forgiven

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Danial said:
Unless I'm mistaken, the last 2 Mass effect had Pick A B or C endings, (Well A or B in Me2) without the anger or pain seen here. You could still play as a good guy for the full game then ignore all that and be evil at the last second.
Mass Effect 2 also had a denoument and very distinct implications for and reactions to each option, all of which are lacking in ME3's ending.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
way2sl0w said:
I still haven't played ME3 because of that day-1-dlc farce, but judging from the vague descriptions I hear about the game's ending, I *might* be willing to forgive Bioware and actually pay $70 for this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ending is:
a) a downer
b) negates some of choices you made along the way

I might be in the minority on this, but I consider that a GOOD thing. Not every story needs to have a happy ending with the overpowered stalwart hero saving the universe for the evil supreme beings. Maybe the message is that no matter what you do or how hard you try, you just can't win. That's a perfectly acceptable ending in my opinion.

It helps build atmosphere and suspense if I can't laughably predict how a game/movie's plot will unfold. It makes commander Shepard into a character that I can actually sympathize with. I didn't even like him that much in the first two games because he reminds me of:

a) the popular jock that can get away with stealing my lunch money because he can throw a ball (renegade shepard obviously)
or
b) the virtuous straight A, handsome, nice jock (who can also throw a ball) that everyone points to and asks 'why can't you be more like him?' (paragon shep)

The story is much more interesting to me if the protagonist is struggling against an ACTUAL insurmountable force rather than strolling invincibly through the enemy base or *pretending* to be vulnerable and then pulling a BFG9000 out of his ass to slaughter the bad guy to avenge his family.

I applaud whoever wrote this for putting in some actual thought into his/her work rather than applying the same cookie cutter 'Shepard saves the universe! hip hip hooray!' storyline from the ME1 and 2.
Congratulations Bioware, I hereby pardon you for the heinous crime of trying to sell me $10 day 1 dlc.

Agree? Disagree? or am I just a cynical, overcompensating a-hole?
If a planet sized, talking, pink elephant called Andy and his transvestite pixie lover Alan had appeared and killed all the reapers with a duet of I would walk 500 miles by The Proclaimers, that would have made more sense than the three different endings, that all end the same, that we were given.

cynicthnkr

Jan 27, 2012
To clarify Ending is senseless. It won't have been that much of problem if it was sad or unwinable.
After playing for hours the triology (and reading the books) It leaves with the feeling What the **** just happened.

Mass effect 1 and 2 spoilers below.

Imagine playing mass effect 1 chasing the saren to the last and ending video shows collectors homeworld destroyed And normandy and shephard getting away.You would think where did that came from with a blank look.

Or the story.
There was a king and a queen both died in an attack. And the ending video would be their sons baking potatoes in their funeral fire.

PS: Don't play on a black and white monitor or you can get only one ending out of seven or so.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
This thread really makes me want to see that ending.
Can't be worse than Clive Barker's Jerhico.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
Heres one reason they are bad they are pretty much the same no matter what you pick

Very spoilerific all endings side by side
There are a lot more reasons I hate it too.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
The Forces of Chaos said:
way2sl0w said:
BloatedGuppy said:
5. I thought the ending was so terrible it comes close to retroactively destroying my enjoyment of the entire series.
as in 'and then shepard woke up and realized it was all a dream' bad?
I think that would have been an point in its favour had that happend.
Finding out it had all just been some autistic boy's imaginings like the final episode of St. Elsewhere would have a been a triumph compared to what we actually got...

Samarith

Feb 20, 2010
http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/

Poll on the bioware site with 50,000 votes.

2% thought the ending was fine though in fairness another 7% though some minor tweaks would make it ok.

I've seen the 3 bioware endings on Youtube now, I'm glad I chose the Alt+F4 ending. I figured if I don't push a button atleast the others have a chance to finish this right.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
way2sl0w said:
a) a downer
Something many of the fans were prepared for/okay with.

Negates a good chunk of the choices you made in a game series that has promised your choices will have consequences made by a developer who promised that your choices would shape a dnamic ending.

Also:

-That has plot holes.
-That changes only nominally based on the choices they offer you.
-That introduces a new Deus ex Machina right before the end of the game Cobined wit hthe above, it actually kind of negates the need for the series to have ever happened.
-That offers no closure. Keep in mind closure itself can be bad, it it's a necessary and expected element of storytelling AND life. While I'd prefer my father not to die at all, if he died, I'd want to know rather than be left without information.

Aaaaand the rest of the post seemed to be knocking down strawmen, either because they did something horrific to you like kill your family, or because you're posting on a subject without any real understanding of the subject at hand.

Though if you can look at this with some degree of depth and still say it's a good thing, more power to you.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
way2sl0w said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ending is:
a) a downer

I might be in the minority on this, but I consider that a GOOD thing. Not every story needs to have a happy ending with the overpowered stalwart hero saving the universe for the evil supreme beings. Maybe the message is that no matter what you do or how hard you try, you just can't win. That's a perfectly acceptable ending in my opinion.
That's not why the ending is bad

BloatedGuppy said:
5. I thought the ending was so terrible it comes close to retroactively destroying my enjoyment of the entire series.
^^That's why the ending was bad.

I would be perfectly happy with a downer end. (Paradoxically)
The problem with the ending(s) they presented was that there was such a jarring disconnect between the events leading up to the ending and how it actually ended.

The whole series leading up to that point was very tight, personal and character based. And it ends with some broad scope big picture magic button crap.

There's no closure, no sense of accomplishment, no emotional connection to what's happening, there's not even context. It's just out of place.

They could potentially fix it with DLC but if you're the kind of person who gets up-in-arms about Day 1 DLC I could only imagine that your head would explode if you heard they were holding the ending hostage for another $10.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
If a planet sized, talking, pink elephant called Andy and his transvestite pixie lover Alan had appeared and killed all the reapers with a duet of I would walk 500 miles by The Proclaimers, that would have made more sense than the three different endings, that all end the same, that we were given.
I can't think of many endings that would be more awesome than that, really. In fact, if I ever make a game, I'm contracting the end series to you.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Phlakes said:
"it negates all your choices from the previous games"

What choices are you people talking about? Do you happen to mean the ones that come up throughout the entire game, because side stories can actually be concluded before the very end?
ME1:
Did you let the council die or did you save them?
Was udina the new councilor or was it anderson?
Did you kill the arachnid queen or not?

ME2:
Which of your companions died in the end?
Did you blow up the collector base or not? (yes I know it has an 'effect' on the outcome in ME3. But I would hardly call it a big one.)

ME3:
Did you cure the genophage or not?
Did you kill the quarians?
Did you kill the geth?
Or did you unite them?

These are just a few that come to mind. I'm sure there are more. The point is that some decisions have a small impact. Some of them have a big one. I know they can't take ALL choices into consideration. But I don't think they should consider them all pointless in the end. For example: how can the catalyst even begin to claim the synthetics will kill all organics if A) you kill the geth? B) the geth and quarians have made nice and are both helping you? It kind of disproves his strongest argument?

I was dissapointed a bit before you get hit by harbingers beam. I expected to see all the squads you earned throughout the game. For example: arlac squad, asari commandos, the students from the academy. A bit like DA:O did. In the final war you can get help from your allies. Would have been fun. But I suppose this can be forgiven.

Also, why did I do the side mission on lesuss? I destroyed the academy and still those damn banshees are showing up? I shouldn't have bothered. Same goes for those damn arachnids. I thought I stopped the reapers from making more of those little buggers?

I also hate this arbitrary military effectiveness. It adds f*ck all to the game. It's just some arbitrary number. Apparently having a bigger fleet helps you when you are talking to the catalyst. How? How does having a bigger fleet help you when you choose to destroy the reapers? Somehow having more ships means that earth doesn't get blown up? You survive the destruction because you have a higher chance of bouncing off the ships on your way down to earth?

In ME2 the upgrades to the normandy made sense in the end. In ME3 having a bigger fleet just means a bigger number.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Samarith said:
http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/

Poll on the bioware site with 50,000 votes.

2% thought the ending was fine though in fairness another 7% though some minor tweaks would make it ok.

I've seen the 3 bioware endings on Youtube now, I'm glad I chose the Alt+F4 ending. I figured if I don't push a button atleast the others have a chance to finish this right.
90%. That's pretty damning evidence there guys... and those aren't small numbers. For further details on why people are mad, go read any list of pre-launch promises made by various industry reps and then count how many they made good on.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
cynicthnkr said:
PS: Don't play on a black and white monitor or you can get only one ending out of seven or so.
Haha, made me chuckle :p. Kind of sad that colour is such an important part of the ending of an epic tale =.=

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Newtonyd said:
I feel like cheating and just reading up on the ending. I'm not sure yet whether I want to even buy ME3, with all the stuff I've heard about it and the ending... yet I'm not quite sure I want to ruin it for me. Especially since everyone keeps saying it was so ruinous.

Maybe I should just accept that everyone died in the suicide mission for ME2 and call it a day.
that would be logical thing to do, ME3 is a really great experience, but like others have stated, the ending is completely stupid, and has been confirmed now that major parts of it have been gutted.

If I were you I would wait until this issue gets resolved, If it ever gets resolved is quite a different question.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
wooty said:
Ive onlt just picked up ME2 and I am currently building up to ME3, but the one thing I want to know from this whole ridiculous saga is this:-

Is Mass Effect 3 good to play?

Thats all, to hell with the dlc, I wont use it. To hell with the "bad" ending, I'm very sure Ive seen worse over the years. To hell with the gay choices, I just wont select them.

Just, is the game fun to play and will it take up more than 30+ hours?

*Additional: I got the answers I was after, thanks for clearing things up.
Yes the game is fun, and through the course of it, you will get pay off to every decision you made.

Danial said:
Unless I'm mistaken, the last 2 Mass effect had Pick A B or C endings, (Well A or B in Me2) without the anger or pain seen here. You could still play as a good guy for the full game then ignore all that and be evil at the last second.
The difference is that ME2 could get away with it because it wasnt the end of the story, everyone knew there was sequel coming, so things could be left unanwsered, it was another choice that would have an eventual payoff.

That is the main difference

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
It's the Neon Genesis Evangelion ending of video games, completely out of touch with the themes of the game, robs you of any sense of accomplishment and has no logical reason to exist apart for the sake of a gainax ending.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Athinira said:
spectrenihlus said:
I think this guy best explains what is wrong with the ending (spoilers, tldr ect)
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10022779
This post will actually go against the forum rules because it adds little to the discussion, but I'm just going to state it here: Thanks a lot for that link!
Won't your post, and by extension my post, do exactly the same thing?

J/K

For myself, I have just hit the point of hoping that this is my own delusion, and that I will wake up before March 3, and I will be able to still imagine how awesome ME3 is supposed to be rather than being crushed by the reality of it all.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
way2sl0w said:
Krantos said:
b) It doesn't just negate some. It ignores ALL. No matter the choices you made in all three games, the ending plays out exactly the same way every single time.
That's what I'm wondering about. Is the game is intentionally trying to convey the message that 'choice is an illusion or whatever' (and subtle/ambiguous enough that people just didn't pick up on it) or is it just a blindsided cock slap with no context or reason like the 'it was all a dream' example?

either way, I'm now sufficiently curious enough to find out what could possibly enrage so many loyal fans to buy the game for that reason alone.
Let me just say I liked Dragon Age 2. I didn't like the low amount of assets used to make a the game but I think that is about the only complaint against it and that is 90% a complaint on the visuals, which doesn't matter much to me. I think it important to take that into consideration considering the "beautiful disaster" theory some people use on fan outrage.

I would say read spoilers, man. I know how that sounds and I personally hate reading spoilers myself. But seriously, spoil the hell out of this ending for free instead of spending $60 bucks for it. Make sure you want to support it. The "dream hypothesis" is not only a small stretch, it appears to me to be that its merely people trying to justify the actual content so that they don't feel so bad about their purchase and time investment into the series. Even if the "dream hypothesis" was the intention of the ending, it is still very poorly written. Those dots are not easy to connect and that shows poor writing and even if you do manage to connect them, the ending is still abstract and hollow.

Spoil the ending for yourself, I promise you won't be ruining any part of the experience. This is coming from someone who did decide to spoil the ending for himself and have since never cared about finishing my Shepard's tale. I am glad I read spoilers and didn't waste money on this title this year.

Read spoilers. Just do it, you won't regret it. Your reaction will most likely be "That's it?" followed by any urgency to see the ending of the series completely gone.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
I have started to only come into these threads to see if you are in them, you're consistent!

Srsly, over reaction would be an understatement! It's like you got one of those lollipop's where the stick is a whistle but you didn't like the note you got.

Did see this much hate when they didn't let you find out what happened to Morrigan and your baby in DA:O ... if they do even pull the "we will release it as DLC later" move.

Just treat it like an assault course wall, get over it!

Merrick_HLC

Mar 13, 2012
omega 616 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
I have started to only come into these threads to see if you are in them, you're consistent!

Srsly, over reaction would be an understatement! It's like you got one of those lollipop's where the stick is a whistle but you didn't like the note you got.

Did see this much hate when they didn't let you find out what happened to Morrigan and your baby in DA:O ... if they do even pull the "we will release it as DLC later" move.

Just treat it like an assault course wall, get over it!
Well the thing is it comes on to how one views the story and all.

Some folks do have 'fridge logic' on things.

Some people can see the Star Wars prequels and not care and still think Vader is a badass.
Some see them and can't get over he was a "Whiny emo" who "hates sand" and went "NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo" and can't view him as a threatening imposing badass anymore.

To put it in ME terms
Some people can play through ME 1-2-3 again and not be bothered by the fact that, well, The Quarians will literally never see Rannoch again even if you make peace. Some will view their helping as the quarians in those games as pointless, then dislike them as a result

To put it in other terms.
For some people it's not like "The note after the lollipop"
for some people it's more like taking that final bite of ice-cream and having it be disgusting and then spitting out the parts of a fly.
You're not gonna look back on how good the icecream was.