Okay...because I'd like the subject to be discussed somewhat respectfully...

SolidState

May 30, 2015
I...I don't know what this is or what any of you are talking about.

Someone care to explain for the uninitiated?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
SolidState said:

There's a new subforum here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/706-Wild-West

Explained here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/706.941302-Welcome-to-the-Wild-West

SolidState

May 30, 2015
IceForce said:
SolidState said:

Explained here:
Those links don't work, they give me a 403 error.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fallow said:
Have any of you considered that you aren't forced into reading the Wild West forum? It seems like an important aspect.
Why yes, yes we have. However, this is a call for an open, honest opinion about the place. Do you have one?

Neverhoodian said:
Biowarriors?
Scarim Coral said:
Biowarriors?
Hell if I know.

SolidState said:
I'm afraid they DO work. The staff must've put on some kinda' restriction or something. Don't worry about it.

Caedite Eos

Aug 2, 2016
SolidState said:
IceForce said:
SolidState said:

Explained here:
"Publishers Club" only. I guess you pay for the right to wade into a sewer?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well, balls...I took the plunge, and now I can't stop shitposting. Maybe this won't be so bad after all?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I no longer care enough to form a strong opinion one way or the other.

Could make for a fun social experiment though. Will it get nasty or will habits formed through years of enforced civility render it essentially a second Off-Topic? Stay tuned to find out.

So far it just looks like what I believe the cool kids call "shitposting". How dull.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
They need to stop Wild West threads appearing on the Popular Forum Posts box on other parts of the site.

I clicked my link to go to the Zero Punctuation page and was greeted with a charming thread title telling me something quite rude.

Now I don't mind a bit of foul language but I can't see that being attractive to younger visitors to the site or their parents.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Neverhoodian said:
EDIT: Could someone explain the creation of the "Biowarriors" subforum? Did BioWare ban a bunch of users from their forums recently, or were the forums taken down entirely? Just seems a bit odd they would get their own subforum here when previous "refugees" from sites like GameTrailers did not.
The GameTrailers shutdown never really became big news like the Bioware forum shutdown has.

I imagine The Escapist is trying to get more visitors that way.

Scarim Coral said:
Also why is there a "Biowarriors" subtopic? Apparently it's "A place to discuss games for exiled fans of the Bioware Forums", why canter to them especially when it has no topics in it so far? Does it have a large fanbase cos I'm not seeing it?
No-one can post in the Biowarriors section because they haven't bothered to add a 'New Topic' button on the page.

I find it quite funny really. It's like that section has already been shutdown.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
I can't see a single thing going wrong. I'm not joking, no. Hell, it should completely swallow and replace that Religion & Politics section. At least we can then drop the pretense of being 'respectful' to each other, when all we usually do is just ravage one another by toeing the rules only to the point that we know we'll evade infractions.

The Escapist community complaining about a no-rules section that almost anything goes is all sorts of hypocritical and hilarious at the same time.

Incidentally, a lot of forums have a "spam" section and that's primarily the function of Wild West.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Eh. Why not? Could it really be worse than the tone this site is infamous for?
I'm curious. What do you actually mean? (Bearing in mind that I've seen other sites that are run 'differently' from this one.)

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
So far Wild west seems pretty good place to hang out, Better than R&P and GID forums.

It seems to me that many people fail to understand that "no rules" mean that it will be complete chaos, where everyone will figuratively blackjack each other as soon as they can.

That's not how it works. Everyone who has been on such forums know this.
Community itself can police itself just fine. Although no rules will ever be spoken, many know rules by heart... Although it will not be the same as this forum.

So overall, I see this is overall positive change. Very small, tentative change.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
This will be good for everyone.

Some freedom for those of us who really appreciate it.
Potential for more consistently moderated boards for anyone staying out of the WWW.
A place to grow a thicker skin for those sensitive posters who can't stop themselves.
Less work for the mods, if the staff promotes the WWW effectively.

The suggestions in this thread for moving other flammable boards in the WWW (sub) would make the forum even better.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
From what I can tell, its a Publisher's Club only shitpost forum? I mean good luck with that and all, but the majority of users never knew it existed until this thread and I'm guessing most users aren't about to sign up to pay to see what shitty forums are like.

That's like paying money to go to /b. No thanks. I'll stay in vanilla land where things have a point.

I mean it's a self contained ecosystem. You have to pay to use it, most users won't ever see it, and the only thing it gives you is a slight leeway on being a dick.

Hardly seems like a big deal, much less worth mentioning at all. Like congratz if you paid to shitpost on the Escapists instead of just going to a Chan or Reddit for free.

Sep 13, 2009
It may not get too bad, but that's only because of the sites dwindling traffic.

Having said that, I think there's a pretty good chance it will turn into a place to shit on other users without repercussions. I've seen a number of occasions where people went to other sites to specifically insult users here, I believe as well as someone doxxing a user here on another site. Thankfully that's illegal, so it at least won't be happening there.

After the initial novelty, the only reason people will go there is to break the rules, most of which involve not being an asshole.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Too Many Secrets said:
Actually I didn't know that. I thought Kross just messed with the page setup for a little bit. Was it like an optional boost, or did everyone just get a Premium membership? 'cause I've been here a few years and didn't get anything free.

Still not convinced its worth a PM just to get access to a thread full of crafted mean comments and self-righteous grand standing.

Oct 2, 2012
Silentpony said:
Too Many Secrets said:
Actually I didn't know that. I thought Kross just messed with the page setup for a little bit. Was it like an optional boost, or did everyone just get a Premium membership? 'cause I've been here a few years and didn't get anything free.

Still not convinced its worth a PM just to get access to a thread full of crafted mean comments and self-righteous grand standing.
My profile just randomly got pub club one day (I guess it was the day Kross got laid off). I didn't pay for it, or opt in, or anything.
Honestly I thought everyone got it, I'm surprised you didn't.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Silentpony said:
From what I can tell, its a Publisher's Club only shitpost forum? I mean good luck with that and all, but the majority of users never knew it existed until this thread and I'm guessing most users aren't about to sign up to pay to see what shitty forums are like.

That's like paying money to go to /b. No thanks. I'll stay in vanilla land where things have a point.

I mean it's a self contained ecosystem. You have to pay to use it, most users won't ever see it, and the only thing it gives you is a slight leeway on being a dick.

Hardly seems like a big deal, much less worth mentioning at all. Like congratz if you paid to shitpost on the Escapists instead of just going to a Chan or Reddit for free.
C'mon, join it! It will be like posting at Cheezeburger, where I've seen you a ton of times! I've seen a ton of Escapists there over the years. Anyone remember Calumon?

Also, no one is paying for it.